Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
college admissions bribery scandal
Stories 21 - 40 |
Lawyers: 'Devastating' New
Evidence in Loughlin Case
Feb 27, 2020 7:40 AM CST
Lawyers: 'Devastating' New Evidence in Loughlin Case
Notes turned over by prosecution prove her innocence, defense team says
- Lawyers for
actress Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, said Wednesday that new evidence shows the couple is innocent of charges that they bribed their daughters' way into the University of Southern California. An attorney for the couple said in a legal filing that prosecutors...
'Loud and Abrasive Call' Might
Ruin College Scandal Case
Feb 26, 2020 7:19 PM CST
'Loud and Abrasive Call' Might Ruin College Scandal Case
Court filing releases notes from Rick Singer's iPhone
- Lori Loughlin, wondering what to read tonight? Try TMZ . The tabloid news site reports that Rick Singer, ringleader in the college admissions scandal, says the FBI angrily told him to lie about a key aspect of the case. One accused parent, Elisabeth Kimmel, made a legal filing Wednesday that claims...
Hot Pockets Heiress Sentenced
for College Admissions Bribery
Feb 25, 2020 4:27 PM CST
Hot Pockets Heiress Sentenced for College Admissions Bribery
Michelle Janavs gets five months behind bars
- An heir to the Hot Pockets fortune was sentenced to five months in prison Tuesday for trying to cheat and bribe her daughters' way into school as part of a nationwide college admissions scam, the AP reports. Michelle Janavs, whose father and uncle invented the microwaveable Hot Pockets turnovers before...
Here's Lori Loughlin's Kid's
Alleged Fake Crew Resume
Feb 10, 2020 5:35 PM CST
Here's Lori Loughlin's Kid's Alleged Fake Crew Resume
Prosecutors release it in response to a filing from Loughlin, Giannulli
- Prosecutors have released the fake crew resume allegedly used by Lori Loughlin and husband Mossimo Giannulli to get their daughter Olivia Jade Giannulli into USC, reports the
, which has the document in full here . Per CNN , it lists Olivia Jade, now 20, as the winner of two gold...
for 'Appalling' Scam
Feb 7, 2020 3:15 PM CST
Ex-CEO Receives Longest Sentence for 'Appalling' Scam
Judge gives Douglas Hodge, who paid $850,000 to get his kids into college, 9 months in prison
- Douglas Hodge, the 14th parent sentenced in the college admissions bribery scandal, received nine months in prison Friday—the longest term in the case so far. Hodge pleaded guilty last fall to paying $850,000 in bribes to get four of his children into the University of Southern California and...
Jan 16, 2020 10:40 AM CST
She Investigated Admissions Fraud While Allegedly Taking Part
Prosecutors share emails between Mossimo Giannulli and scheme mastermind
- An athletic department administrator asked to investigate puzzling recruitment decisions at the University of Southern California a year before the admissions scandal broke was herself taking part in the fraud, according to new court documents. In March 2018, a USC official asked Donna Heinel to look into three students—Lori...
Loughlin Gets 'Worst'
Advice From Prison Coach
Jan 4, 2020 10:01 AM CST
Loughlin Gets 'Worst' Advice From Prison Coach
The 'Fuller House' actor is learning about survival behind bars, in case she's found guilty
- Facing a stint in the big house? You might want to learn the ropes first. That's what Lori Loughlin is thinking, based on two reports about expert advice she's getting on prison survival—including a few martial-arts techniques. "She has someone who is advising her what to...
Loughlin Claims Prosecutors
Are Concealing Evidence
Dec 16, 2019 3:48 AM CST
Loughlin Claims Prosecutors Are Concealing Evidence
Lawyers say couple did not know payments would be used to bribe college officials
- While some celebrity parents have pleaded guilty in the college admissions bribery scandal, Lori Loughlin and husband Mossimo Gianulli are fighting the charges —and they say prosecutors are concealing evidence that could help clear them. In a court filing Friday, the couple accused federal prosecutors of refusing to turn...
Has Something to Say
Dec 1, 2019 6:00 PM CST
Loughlin's Daughter Has Something to Say
Olivia Jade Giannulli posts a fresh YouTube video
- Olivia Jade Giannulli is back on YouTube. The daughter of Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli returned Sunday with her first video —called "hi again"—since her parents were indicted in March for allegedly taking part in the college admissions scandal, TMZ reports. They're accused of paying...
Nov 14, 2019 9:40 AM CST
In College Admissions Brouhaha, the Longest Sentence Yet
Toby MacFarlane gets 6 months behind bars in California
- Felicity Huffman has served her time , Lori Loughlin awaits her own fate, and an ex-California real estate executive has been hit with the longest prison sentence yet in the college admissions scandal . Per NBC News , six months behind bars was the sentence given Wednesday to Toby MacFarlane, 56, who was...
Prison for Lori Loughlin?
Columnist Says It's 'Nuts'
Nov 5, 2019 12:38 PM CST
Prison for Lori Loughlin? Columnist Says It's 'Nuts'
She deserves a slap on the wrist, not prison time: William McGurn
- Lori Loughlin is enduring a lot of bad press of late, but an op-ed in the
Wall Street Journal
goes against the grain. "Free Lori Loughlin" reads the headline of William McGurn's column, and he means just that. That Loughlin and her husband could get 45 years in...
to Judge: Don't
Make Us Come
Nov 1, 2019 2:05 PM CDT
Lori Loughlin to Judge: Don't Make Us Come to Court
She and husband enter not-guilty pleas to new bribery charge
- Faced with new charges in the college admissions scandal, actress Lori Loughlin and her husband pleaded not guilty Friday via their attorneys. The couple was hit with that indictment , on federal program bribery, after being warned by prosecutors that more charges would be brought if they didn't plead guilty...
Oct 25, 2019 1:08 PM CDT
Felicity Huffman Catches Break Thanks to Release Rules
Credit for time served, plus DOJ guidelines on weekend releases spring actress 3 days early
- If anyone thought Felicity Huffman's two-week prison sentence was too short, it just got truncated even more.
reports that the 56-year-old was released Friday from the Federal Correctional Institution in Dublin, Calif., on the 11th day of her 14-day sentence. Huffman, who pleaded guilty to paying college admissions...
Oct 23, 2019 4:32 PM CDT
Author of Parenting Book Sentenced in Admissions Scandal
Jane Buckingham pleaded guilty, got 3 weeks
- A California marketing executive and parenting book author has been sentenced to three weeks in prison for paying $50,000 to cheat on her son's college entrance exam, the AP reports. Jane Buckingham, who per CNN authored
The Modern Girl's Guide to Motherhood ,
was sentenced in Boston's...
Celeb Parents Hit With New
Charge in College Scandal
Oct 23, 2019 3:07 AM CDT
Celeb Parents Hit With New Charge in College Scandal
Lori Loughlin, 9 others charged with bribery
actress Lori Loughlin, her fashion designer husband, and nine other parents faced new federal charges Tuesday in a scandal involving dozens of wealthy parents accused of bribing their children's way into elite universities or cheating on college entrance exams. A grand jury in Boston indicted the parents...
Loughlin Wants to Talk
Prison With Huffman: Report
Oct 22, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Loughlin Wants to Talk Prison With Huffman: Report
Another report says a plea deal may still be on the table for Loughlin
- Despite an alleged $500,000 spent to get them into the University of Southern California, Lori Loughlin's daughters are no longer enrolled at the school. Olivia Jade Giannulli, 20, and Isabella Rose Giannulli, 21, "are not currently enrolled" but "we are unable to provide additional information because...
Mom Who Falsely
Claimed Minority Status
for Son Sentenced
Oct 16, 2019 3:33 PM CDT
Mom Who Falsely Claimed Minority Status for Son Sentenced
Marjorie Klapper gets 3 weeks in college admissions bribery scandal
- The owner of a California jewelry business has been sentenced to three weeks in prison for paying $15,000 to rig her son's ACT exam, the AP reports. Marjorie Klapper was sentenced in Boston's federal court Wednesday after pleading guilty to a single count of fraud and conspiracy....
Prison Term Begins
Oct 15, 2019 1:25 PM CDT
Felicity Huffman's Prison Term Begins
She'll spend 14 days at the Federal Correctional Institution in Dublin, California
- Felicity Huffman reported to prison in northern California Tuesday morning to begin serving her 14-day sentence for her role in the sweeping college admissions bribery scandal. The 56-year-old actress will be imprisoned at the low-security, all-female Federal Correctional Institution in Dublin,
reports. "Ms. Huffman is prepared to serve...
CEO, Wife Get Jail Time in
College Admissions Scandal
Oct 9, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
CEO, Wife Get Jail Time in College Admissions Scandal
Gregory and Marcia Abbott to each spend month in prison after paying $125K to fix daughter's tests
- As Felicity Huffman prepares for her 14-day stay behind bars at the end of the month, more sentences are rolling in for the college admissions bribery scandal—and this time, it's both members of a couple who will see jail time. Gregory Abbott, the CEO of International Dispensing Corp....
Time for Loughlin
Oct 8, 2019 3:43 PM CDT
Prosecutor: We'll Want More Prison Time for Loughlin
Says she'll face 'substantially higher' sentence than Felicity Huffman if convicted
- Felicity Huffman pleaded guilty to her role in the sweeping college admissions bribery scandal and was sentenced to 14 days in prison. Lori Loughlin chose to go another route—and a US attorney for Massachusetts tells WCVB that route may not end quite as well for her as Huffman's...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
One Line Explained Feinstein's Role in Gay Rights
NYC Local: 'Never Seen Anything Like This in My Life'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.