Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 22, 2023 9:26 AM CST
Museum: Roman Emperor Was Transgender
Texts suggest Elagabalus identified as a woman, though historians argue they aren't creditable
- A museum in the UK has made the decision to refer to an ancient Roman emperor as "she" and "her," saying evidence shows Elagabalus, who reigned for four years from AD 218-222, was a transgender woman. The council-run North Hertfordshire Museum in Hitchin, which has a silver...
Barry Manilow: State Farm
Jingle Was 'My Greatest Hit'
Nov 14, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Barry Manilow: State Farm Jingle Was 'My Greatest Hit'
Singer also talks about how his partner 'saved my life'
- When Barry Manilow publicly came out as gay in 2017, he described the reaction from the public as "beautiful." But there would've been a very different reaction had he come out much earlier. "Back in the '70s it would have killed a career," according...
Pink Has a
Nov 14, 2023 8:31 AM CST
Pink Has a Feisty Response to Florida Book Bans
Singer will give out thousands of banned or restricted books at Miami, Sunrise concerts this week
- Groups and individuals have said they're boycotting visits to Florida and refusing to hold events in the Sunshine State due to Gov. Ron DeSantis' new laws on gender-affirming care, abortion, gun ownership, and teaching race- and LGBTQ+-themed subjects in school, among others. Pink is taking a different tack: The...
After Fierce Criticism,
Pope Fires Texas Bishop
Nov 11, 2023 12:50 PM CST
After Fierce Criticism, Pope Fires Texas Bishop
Bishop Joseph Strickland has opposed attempts to make church more welcoming
- Pope Francis has taken the rare step of removing a bishop who has been a persistent social media critic of his leadership. Texas Bishop Joseph Strickland was relieved of his duties in the Tyler Diocese, announcements by the Vatican and the US Bishops Conference said. Neither gave a reason, Reuters...
Buttigieg Weighs In
on Mike Johnson's
Nov 3, 2023 1:56 PM CDT
Buttigieg Weighs In on Mike Johnson's LGBTQ+ Views
Transportation secretary zings new House speaker on Colbert show: 'Maybe we'll just have him over'
- Mike Johnson has been withstanding quite a bit of scrutiny since he ascended last month from being a virtually unknown Republican congressman to his current role as speaker of the House. Especially in the spotlight: the Louisiana lawmaker's anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric over the years, which has now spurred Pete...
Court Rules on Law Requiring
Sterilization for Gender Change
Oct 25, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Court Rules on Law Requiring Sterilization for Gender Change
Japanese measure makes surgery a prerequisite
- Japan's Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled that a law requiring transgender people to undergo sterilization surgery in order to officially change their gender is unconstitutional. The decision by the top court's 15-judge Grand Bench was its first on the constitutionality of Japan's 2003 law requiring the removal...
Trans Teen, Family
'Run Out of Town on a Rail'
Oct 22, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Trans Teen, Family 'Run Out of Town on a Rail'
'New Yorker' piece dives into how laws in Tennessee, and in South in general, have affected LGBTQ youth
- Tennessee has passed nearly 20 anti-LGBTQ+ laws since 2015, among the highest in the nation, per the Human Rights Campaign. For Kristen Chapman, that number is more than just a statistic—it proved to be the death knell for her family's future in the Volunteer State, as her 17-year-daughter,...
For LGBTQ+ Advocates in India,
a 'Deeply Disappointing' Ruling
Oct 17, 2023 7:21 AM CDT
For LGBTQ+ Advocates in India, a 'Deeply Disappointing' Ruling
Nation's top court punts decision on same-sex marriage to Parliament
- India's top court on Tuesday refused to legalize same-sex marriages, passing the responsibility back to Parliament in a ruling that disappointed campaigners for LGBTQ+ rights in the world's most populous country. Chief Justice DY Chandrachud also urged the government to uphold the rights of the queer community and...
25 Years After His Infamous
Killing, Activists Are Worried
Oct 12, 2023 11:09 AM CDT
25 Years After His Infamous Killing, Activists Are Worried
LGBTQ community sees progress made after Matthew Shepard murder start to reverse
- It's been 25 years since Matthew Shepard , a gay 21-year-old University of Wyoming student, died six days after he was savagely beaten by two young men and tied to a remote fence to meet his fate. His death has been memorialized as an egregious hate crime that helped fuel...
Author's Kids Book Flagged
for a 'Laughable' Reason
Oct 9, 2023 7:23 AM CDT
Author's Kids Book Flagged for a 'Laughable' Reason
Picture book placed on review list for Alabama library due to writer Mary-Louise Gay's last name
- Marie-Louise Gay's children's books often pop up on various recommended lists, like "books to watch for" and books that "inspire a love of reading." At one Alabama library, however, one of the award-winning Canadian author and illustrator's picture books was placed on a list...
Colorado Court Takes On
Baker's Trans Cake Controversy
Oct 3, 2023 2:01 PM CDT
Colorado Court Takes On Baker's Trans Cake Controversy
Jack Phillips is again embroiled in a legal fight over LGBTQ issues
- On the heels of a US Supreme Court victory this summer for a graphic artist who didn't want to design wedding websites for same-sex couples, Colorado's highest court said Tuesday it will now hear the case of a Christian baker who refused to make a cake celebrating a...
Aug 31, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Critics Call Governor's New 'Common Sense' Order 'Ridiculous'
Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen's order narrowly defines 'male' and 'female,' angering trans advocates
- This week, a second governor put his name to an executive order that more rigidly defines an individual's sex, in what he deems a boost to women's rights and what critics say is an attack on the transgender community. The AP reports that Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen signed...
This Nation Offers LGBTQ+
Warning on Travel to US
Aug 30, 2023 7:46 AM CDT
This Nation Offers LGBTQ+ Warning on Travel to US
'Check relevant state and local laws' before heading to US, Canada's advisory tells tourists
- The Canadian government updated its advisory for travel to the United States on Tuesday, and one section that stands out is directed toward LGBTQ+ tourists. "Some states have enacted laws and policies that may affect 2SLGBTQI+ persons," the short section in the advisory from the Global Affairs Canada...
Nearly 70 Face Prison for
Attending Nigerian Wedding
Aug 29, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Nearly 70 Face Prison for Attending Nigerian Wedding
It was a gay wedding, and homosexuality is outlawed in the African nation
- Police in Nigeria said Tuesday they detained at least 67 people celebrating a gay wedding in one of the largest mass detentions targeting homosexuality, which is outlawed in the West African country. The "gay suspects" were arrested in southern Delta state's Ekpan town about 2am Monday at an...
California Store Owner Killed
Defending Her Pride Flag
Aug 21, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
California Store Owner Killed Defending Her Pride Flag
Shooter killed Laura Ann Carleton in front of clothing store before deadly encounter with police
- A store owner in California was shot and killed Friday by a man who made derogatory comments about rainbow Pride flags erected outside the store, according to investigators. Laura "Lauri" Ann Carleton, 66, was shot outside her Mag Pi clothing store in Cedar Glen, about 60 miles east of...
Chess Federation Bans
Trans Women Pending Review
Aug 17, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Chess Federation Bans Trans Women Pending Review
Trans women have 'no right to participate' in female events ahead of FIDE ruling
- The world's top chess federation has ruled that transgender women can't compete in its official events for females until an assessment of gender change is made by its officials. The decision by the Switzerland-based International Chess Federation (FIDE) was published on Monday and has drawn criticism from advocacy...
Legislature Begins Overriding
'Political Culture Wars' Vetoes
Aug 16, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Legislature Begins Overriding 'Political Culture Wars' Vetoes
During transgender care debate, lawmaker whose grandchild could be affected asks GOP to 'just stop it'
- Both houses of North Carolina's legislature voted Wednesday to override Gov. Roy Cooper's veto of a bill restricting LGBTQ+ instruction. The new law takes effect immediately, the AP reports. The Senate vote was 27-18 for the override, with the House voting 72-47 minutes later. Also Wednesday, the Republican-controlled...
Aug 16, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Backlash to Pride Merch Hurt Target
Retailer sees quarterly sales fall for the first time in 6 years
- Target's quarterly sales dropped for the first time in six years, due in part to the "strong reaction" to its Pride month offerings, the company said Wednesday. Sales at stores open for at least a year fell 5.4% last quarter, while foot traffic declined 4.8%, CNN...
Gay Canadian Couple Wins
Suit Against Italy's Ruling Party
Aug 14, 2023 5:50 PM CDT
Gay Canadian Couple Wins Suit Against Italy's Ruling Party
Fratelli d'Italia used photo of two dads in campaign against surrogacy, same-sex parenting
- When they welcomed their son Milo with the help of a surrogate mother in 2014, BJ Barone and Frank Nelson took off their shirts to make skin-to-skin contact with the newborn. A photo of the tender moment with the new born went viral, but the two Canadian dads were appalled...
Does James Like to Be Called
Jimmy? Not So Fast in Florida
Aug 11, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Does James Like to Be Called Jimmy? Not So Fast in Florida
Some districts now want parental OK before using nicknames, alternate names for trans students
- A new school year has kicked off in many spots in the South, and two counties in Florida are already making waves for a correspondence that's been delivered to educators and parents. WESH reports that Seminole County sent an email to families this week noting that if their kids...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Daryl Hall Accuses John Oates of the 'Ultimate' Betrayal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.