Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Training Room Racket Smash
Causes a Fuss in Tennis
Sep 11, 2023 7:29 AM CDT
Training Room Racket Smash Causes a Fuss in Tennis
Aryna Sabalenka vents in players' room afterward, raising privacy questions
- Aryna Sabalenka has had such a strong year in tennis that she will be ranked No. 1 on Monday even after losing the US Open final over the weekend to American Coco Gauff. But that loss nevertheless stung for the 25-year-old Belarussian, as video from the players' dressing room after...
Coco Gauff Takes US Open
Sep 9, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Coco Gauff Takes US Open
19-year-old beats Aryna Sabalenka for her first Grand Slam title
- Coco Gauff set aside a so-so start and surged to her first Grand Slam title at age 19, coming back to defeat Aryna Sabalenka 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 in the US Open final on Saturday to the delight of a raucous crowd that was loud from start to finish. Gauff, who...
Protester Glues Feet
to Floor at US Open
Sep 8, 2023 5:40 AM CDT
Protester Glues Feet to Floor at US Open
4 protesters were removed from stands before semi-final match could continue
- Coco Gauff's US Open semifinal victory over Karolina Muchova was delayed by 50 minutes because of a disruption by four environmental activists in the Arthur Ashe Stadium stands Thursday night. One protester glued his bare feet to the concrete floor, per the AP . Gauff was leading 1-0 in the...
World No. 1 Falls
for First Time in 38 Matches
Jul 2, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
World No. 1 Falls for First Time in 38 Matches
French Open champion Swiatek and runner-up Gauff are now out of Wimbledon
- Coming into the third round of Wimbledon, Iga Swiatek had won 37 matches in a row and six straight tournaments—including the French Open a month ago. That turned around with a 6-4, 6-2 victory Saturday in London by Alize Cornet of France, who's ranked 37th in the world....
Jun 4, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Gauff Can't Stop Swiatek's Unbeaten Run
World No. 1 takes French Open title, her 6th straight tournament victory
- Coco Gauff came into the women's singles final at the French Open on Saturday having not lost a set during the tournament. But Iga Swiatek hadn't lost in her last 34 matches. It's now 35, after the world No. 1 defeated Gauff 6-1, 6-3 for her second...
French Open Semis
Don't Follow Script
Jun 3, 2022 5:02 PM CDT
French Open Semis Don't Follow Script
Climate change demonstrator breaches court during men's match, and Nadal's opponent has to retire
- A climate activist wearing a T-shirt with the message "We have 1028 days left" interrupted the French Open men's semifinal Friday between Marin Cilic and Casper Ruud by attaching herself to the net and kneeling on the court. Play was delayed for more than 10 minutes with Ruud...
Jul 19, 2021 1:33 AM CDT
Coco Gauff's Positive COVID Test Means No Olympics
It's not clear whether tennis star, 17, is vaccinated
- Teen tennis phenom Cori "Coco" Gauff will have to sit out the Tokyo Olympics after testing positive for COVID-19. Gauff, 17, said in a statement posted to Twitter on Sunday that she is "so disappointed." "It has always been a dream of mine to represent the...
Author Deletes Draft
of Bryant's Next Kids' Book
Jan 27, 2020 8:00 PM CST
Author Deletes Draft of Bryant's Next Kids' Book
Also, NBA postpones Lakers game as an Italian city mourns
- The mourning for Kobe Bryant was truly global on Monday, the AP reports. Among the responses:
The NBA said it was postponing the Los Angeles Lakers' game against the Los Angeles Clippers on Tuesday night "out of respect for the Lakers organization." Bryant played for the Lakers for
US Open Match Ends
in Tears and a Hug
Sep 1, 2019 8:29 AM CDT
US Open Match Ends in Tears and a Hug
Champ Osaka consoles Coco Gauff after teenager's defeat
- The aftermath of Naomi Osaka's defeat of 15-year-old Coco Gauff in the third round of the US Open, played out on court and in post-match interviews, was emotional. "She was crying, she won. I was crying. Everybody was crying!" Gauff said later, the BBC reports. "I...
She Stunned at Wimbledon,
Now Wins Her US Open Debut
Aug 27, 2019 6:54 PM CDT
She Stunned at Wimbledon, Now Wins Her US Open Debut
Coco Gauff is 15
- Coco Gauff has come back from a set and a break down to win her US Open debut at age 15 by beating Anastasia Potapova 3-6, 6-2, 6-4. Gauff got a wild-card entry from the US Tennis Association after making a surprising run to the fourth round at Wimbledon last...
Teenager's Amazing Run
at Wimbledon Is Over
Jul 8, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
Teenager's Amazing Run at Wimbledon Is Over
American Coco Gauff, 15, loses in the 4th round
- She defeated her idol at Wimbledon, then dazzled some more by vanquishing another opponent with an amazing comeback —all at the age of 15. But the remarkable run of Cori "Coco" Gauff ended Monday in a fourth-round loss to Romania's Simona Halep, reports ESPN . Halep, who was...
Popular on Newser
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.