Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Scuba Divers Rescue Baby
Shark Trapped in Odd Place
Sep 13, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Scuba Divers Rescue Baby Shark Trapped in Odd Place
Connecticut couple diving in Rhode Island found juvenile creature stuck in a work glove
- A Connecticut couple's scuba diving trip in Rhode Island on Monday turned into a mission to rescue a baby shark. Deb and Steve Dauphinais of Glastonbury, Connecticut, were diving on the sand flats off Jamestown, Rhode Island, when Deb Dauphinais spotted the 16-inch juvenile shark with its head stuck...
'Bird' Heard in Home's Walls
Was Something Else Entirely
Mar 14, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
'Bird' Heard in Home's Walls Was Something Else Entirely
Animal rescue called off after UK resident discovered creature was a stuffed 'Harry Potter' toy
- It can be quite distressing to discover there's a wild animal trapped in the walls of your house, as one UK resident thought had happened in their case. Per UPI , a call was recently made to Cleethorpes Wildlife Rescue about a bird in such a predicament in a North...
Well, Here's an Unusual Rescue
Mar 13, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Well, Here's an Unusual Rescue
Dog who decided to swim out to sea in Long Beach, California, saved by a lifeguard
- If you are a tiny white dog all on your own, chances are you can find safer things to get up to than swimming out in the ocean. But as KTLA reports, if you do, it's good to have a sympathetic lifeguard around. Lifeguards in Long Beach, California, got...
More Than 3 Weeks After
Quake, an 'Unexpected Groan'
Mar 2, 2023 9:02 AM CST
More Than 3 Weeks After Quake, an 'Unexpected Groan'
Alex the husky is pulled out of rubble in Turkey's Hatay province, emaciated but otherwise OK
- After a series of miraculous rescues , teams digging through the rubble in the aftermath of last month's earthquake in Turkey and Syria had more or less given up on finding any more survivors. That is, until Tuesday, when an "unexpected groan" emitted from underneath a concrete block pile...
Baby Turtle Survives
Treacherous 4K-Mile Swim
Feb 24, 2023 4:40 PM CST
Baby Turtle Survives Treacherous 4K-Mile Swim
Croga, which means 'brave' in Irish, drifted far off course, from Miami to Ireland
- A father taking a stroll with his two daughters along the Irish coastline stumbled across what one expert is now calling an "absolute miracle." The
reports that the family was walking on the shore of the northwestern Mullet Peninsula in County Mayo when they came across...
This Owl Had Quite the
Morning on Tuesday
Feb 4, 2023 9:30 AM CST
This Owl Had Quite the Morning on Tuesday
After being circled by crows, rescuers saved injured bird from middle of icy Indiana lake
- A wounded great horned owl is recuperating after being rescued earlier this week from an icy Indiana lake. The
Times of Northwest Indiana
reports that the groundskeeper at Hidden Lake Park in Merrillville first spotted the owl Tuesday morning trying to get off the ground, a swarm of crows circling...
Blind Dog Falls Into Hole,
Another Dog Triggers Rescue
Sep 22, 2022 11:23 AM CDT
Blind Dog Falls Into Hole, Another Dog Triggers Rescue
Cesar, a very good boy, is doing fine in Pasadena after firefighters get him out
- Firefighters have rescued a 13-year-old blind dog that fell into a hole at a California construction site. According to KABC , the dog named Cesar lives next to the site in Pasadena with his owner. The dog apparently wandered onto the site, said Cesar's owner, Mary, who declined to give...
In This Long Island Town,
an 'Unusual 911 Call'
Apr 4, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
In This Long Island Town, an 'Unusual 911 Call'
Police help rescue baby seal from Southampton traffic circle
- Police in an East End town on Long Island received what LongIsland.com deems a most "unusual 911 call" over the weekend. Sgt. Jim Cavanagh of the Southampton Town Police Department tells CNN a seal was spotted on Sunday by residents, sliding through a parking lot in the hamlet...
Fans Stepped Up for
Betty White's Birthday Challenge
Jan 23, 2022 2:25 PM CST
Fans Stepped Up for Betty White's Birthday Challenge
Call to action encouraged fans to donate to animal rights causes in her name
Betty White's fans stepped up big time. The "Betty White challenge" called for fans of the late actress to donate to animal shelters and rescues on what would have been her 100th birthday, and
reports those donations added up to at least $12.7 million. That'...
Drone Saves Dog
With a Twist
Jan 21, 2022 8:06 AM CST
Drone Saves Dog From Drowning, With a Twist
Rescuers dangled sausage from the drone
- Police officers, firefighters and other rescuers failed to wrangle an escaped dog, eventually spotted on dangerous tidal flats in Havant, England, over two days last week. "It began to look perilous for Millie the jack russell-whippet cross" who'd escaped from her owner during a walk on Jan. 13....
They Tried to
Corral a Loose Dog.
He Led Them to This
in case you missed it
Jan 9, 2022 12:35 PM CST
They Tried to Corral a Loose Dog. He Led Them to This
Tinsley credited with helping bring police to a crash site
- Bring on the Lassie comparisons: A Vermont man credits his dog for coming to his rescue, and officials are praising the dog as well. Tinsley, a 1-year-old Shiloh Shepherd, was seen running loose on I-89's Veterans Memorial Bridge at the Vermont-New Hampshire line on Monday, say New Hampshire State...
Missing Dog Found on
Ledge 50 Yards Above Creek
Dec 14, 2021 9:29 PM CST
Missing Dog Found on Ledge 50 Yards Above Creek
She was reunited with owners after daring rescue
- A dog missing for two weeks in Colorado was rescued from a ledge about 50 yards above a creek and is now back home, the AP reports. The Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region says that after it received a call about a dog stuck on a cliff overlooking...
Swims 1.8K Miles
to New Zealand
Nov 12, 2021 8:42 AM CST
Antarctic Penguin Swims 1.8K Miles to New Zealand
And after some rest and a fish smoothie, 'Pingu' was returned to the water
- Harry Singh thought he'd discovered a child's toy on a beach on New Zealand's South Island. Then it moved its head. What he'd actually found was a tired Adélie penguin, which had the BBC reports apparently traveled some 1,800 miles from its home on...
of La Palma Dogs
Is a Head-Scratcher
Oct 23, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Mystery Rescue of La Palma Dogs Is a Head-Scratcher
'The dogs are fine,' said sign left behind by 'A Team,' ahead of drone meant to save them
- A drone operation was set to rescue several dogs from the Spanish island of La Palma, where they've been stranded in a yard surrounded by lava after a volcano eruption that's been going on for more than a month. There'd even been a test run that went...
Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Oct 20, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
On Lava-Covered Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Drone will swoop in to try to save several dogs trapped in yard on La Palma
- It's a precarious mission in Spain's Canary Islands, one that will require "calm and concentration," but the drone is ready. So says Aerocamaras, the company that will try to rescue several dogs trapped in a yard by lava on La Palma, where a volcano eruption that...
Binx the Cat
Found 16 Days
Jul 10, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Binx the Cat Found 16 Days After Surfside Condo Collapse
'A small piece of good news': Kitty has been reunited with family
- In what WSVN calls a "miracle" for one of the families affected by the tragedy in Surfside, Fla., a cat that lived in Champlain Towers South has been found alive, more than two weeks after the condo collapsed. "After 16 long and extremely difficult days, I'm happy...
2 Weird Animal Rescues
Involve a Parrot and a Cat
May 18, 2021 8:50 AM CDT
2 Weird Animal Rescues Involve a Parrot and a Cat
Just another day at the office for fire crews
- Two new entries in the annals of unusual animal rescues:
Firefighters in Florida were called to rescue a cat—not out of a tree, but from the undercarriage of a car owned by New York Giants cornerback Isaac Yiadom, per the AP . Rescue workers responded to Yiadom's
Strangers Take Injured Bird
From Maryland to Georgia
May 17, 2021 1:57 PM CDT
Strangers Take Injured Bird From Maryland to Georgia
A young, seriously injured pigeon has a shot at a happy life
- Pigeons have been carrying things around for people for ages. Some kind humans got a chance to return the favor recently by banding together in a frantic relay race to carry an injured bird to safety. It all started when Mel Tillery saw someone trying to shoo a "really...
Rescuers Save Elephant
That Fell Into Well
Nov 23, 2020 11:05 AM CST
Rescuers Save Elephant That Fell Into Well
They needed a crane, though
- Rescuing someone who falls into a well is difficult enough. But rescuing an elephant? Authorities in southern India managed the feat when the animal fell into a well about 50 feet deep, reports NPR . It took 12 hours and three main steps: using pipes to pump out some of the...
Rescue Group Refuses CDC's
Order to Return Puppies
Sep 29, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
Rescue Group Refuses CDC's Order to Return Puppies
French bulldogs were found neglected in Chicago airport warehouse
- An animal rescue group that took in 15 French bulldog puppies found, neglected and in poor health, in an O'Hare International Airport warehouse says it will not return the puppies to the Middle East. A truck driver discovered the puppies in crowded crates, bleeding from their paws, with burn...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.