Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Michael Bloomberg 2020
Stories 1 - 20 |
Spending Figures Are In
Apr 21, 2020 11:54 AM CDT
Bloomberg's Campaign Spending Figures Are In
His campaign spent over $1B, or $18M per delegate won
- Michael Bloomberg's short presidential campaign was pricey to say the least. According to a Federal Election Commission filing , the former New York City mayor poured $1.05 billion into a campaign that lasted just over three months and employed 2,400 staff, some of whom are now suing . That...
Lays Everyone Off
Mar 23, 2020 6:00 PM CDT
Staffer Sues After Bloomberg Lays Everyone Off
Donna Wood files proposed class-action suit
- Michael Bloomberg, from candidate to defendant? Maybe. Bloomberg had reportedly planned to pay presidential campaign staffers through the November election regardless of whether he made it to the finish line. The now-former candidate changed course on Friday, with the
New York Times
reporting that in lieu of that plan and...
Bloomberg Drops Plans to Pay
Workers, Launch Super PAC
Mar 20, 2020 3:34 PM CDT
Bloomberg Drops Plans to Pay Workers, Launch Super PAC
Former Democratic candidate donates to party instead
- There will be no new Super PAC funded by Michael Bloomberg to help the Democratic nominee and no more pay for his campaign workers after all. The former candidate will write a $18 million check to the Democratic National Committee instead, the
New York Times
reports. When Bloomberg entered the...
Bloomberg Definitely Lost.
But Maybe He Kind of Won
Mar 4, 2020 2:34 PM CST
Bloomberg Definitely Lost. But Maybe He Kind of Won
He may have managed to help steer the race toward Biden
- A half a billion dollars later, Michael Bloomberg is out of the 2020 race. All that money and a novel strategy didn't get him far. Where did it go wrong and what have we learned? Pundits weigh in:
All that money "did buy a serious campaign," writes
Mar 4, 2020 5:45 AM CST
Takeaways From Super Tuesday
Biden pulls off 'monumental' comeback
- Bernie Sanders won the biggest prize on Super Tuesday —but the wider result was a stunning victory for Joe Biden, who scored wins in at least 9 of the 14 states that voted, including Texas, analysts say. "They don’t call it Super Tuesday for nothing," the...
Joe Biden Racks Up Wins;
Sanders Gets Biggest Prize
Mar 4, 2020 2:23 AM CST
Joe Biden Racks Up Wins; Sanders Gets Biggest Prize
Senator wins California after former VP sweeps the South
- The Super Tuesday polls are closed, and it's shaping up to be a good night for Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders, not so much for Elizabeth Warren and Michael Bloomberg. Biden came out strong, particularly in the South, but Sanders took the night's biggest prize, California, as expected....
Elizabeth Warren Loses
Home State of Massachusetts
Mar 3, 2020 9:55 PM CST
Elizabeth Warren Loses Home State of Massachusetts
Senator was behind both Biden and Sanders
- Elizabeth Warren has suffered a tough blow on Super Tuesday: She just lost her home state of Massachusetts. In fact, the senator likely won't even finish in second place. The AP called the race for Joe Biden about three hours after polls closed. Bernie Sanders was on track to...
Bloomberg Scores His First
2020 Victory. There's a 'But'
Mar 3, 2020 7:22 PM CST
Bloomberg Scores His First 2020 Victory. There's a 'But'
He won in American Samoa, with only 6 delegates at stake
- Michael Bloomberg can now boast that he won a 2020 race, but his first victory may not be the one he most wanted. The former New York City mayor won not a state but the territory of American Samoa, which has only six delegates at stake, reports the AP . Bloomberg...
One Super Tuesday Outcome
Is 'Nightmare' for Democrats
Mar 3, 2020 11:23 AM CST
One Super Tuesday Outcome Is 'Nightmare' for Democrats
That would be a second-place 'muddle' behind Sanders, writes one analyst
- Super Tuesday is here, and the stakes are huge. More than a third of all pledged delegates are at stake as 14 states vote. Joe Biden is riding big momentum , Bernie Sanders is hoping to grab an insurmountable lead, Elizabeth Warren hopes for a surprise strong showing that keeps her...
Selma Churchgoers Turn
Their Backs on Bloomberg
Mar 2, 2020 2:38 AM CST
Selma Churchgoers Turn Their Backs on Bloomberg
He failed to address stop-and-frisk policy in speech at historic black church
- They haven't forgotten "Bloody Sunday" in Selma, Alabama—and they haven't forgotten Michael Bloomberg's policies as mayor of New York, either. At a service in a Selma church Sunday to commemorate the bloody 1965 crackdown on civil rights marchers, some parishioners turned their backs on Bloomberg...
Trump Weighs In
on SC, Bloomberg's
Mar 1, 2020 6:13 AM CST
Trump Weighs In on SC, Bloomberg's 'Joke' Campaign
Bloomberg wasn't on the ballot
- Never mind that Mike Bloomberg wasn't on the ballot in South Carolina, President Trump has weighed in on the results and pronounced his campaign moribund in the wake of Saturday's primary results , reports Fox News . "Sleepy Joe Biden’s victory in the South Carolina Democrat Primary should...
Winners, Losers From
the Democratic Debate
Feb 26, 2020 6:44 AM CST
Winners, Losers From the Democratic Debate
Biden had the good night he needed, analysts say
- Tuesday night's Democratic debate in Charleston, SC, was a raucous affair—so much so that Vox declares chaos to be the only true winner. In the last debate before the state's Saturday primary—and Super Tuesday—candidates desperate for speaking time talked over each other and shouted at...
Sanders Faces Onslaught
in South Carolina Debate
Feb 25, 2020 7:19 PM CST
Sanders Faces Onslaught in South Carolina Debate
7 candidates clashed in fiery debate
- Seven Democrats took part in a fiery debate in South Carolina on Tuesday night—one more than in last week's primary debate. Tom Steyer joined Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Joe Biden, Amy Klobuchar, Pete Buttigieg, and Michael Bloomberg in the Charleston debate, co-hosted by CBS News and the Congressional...
Backs a Dem
Feb 22, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Clint Eastwood Backs a Dem for President
The Hollywood luminary also talks about #MeToo and why he likes 'Gran Torino'
- Clint Eastwood's wide-ranging chat with the
Wall Street Journal
touches on his films, his politics, and playing golf with Donald Trump—but his line about Mike Bloomberg is making the biggest splash. "The best thing we could do is just get Mike Bloomberg in there," he says...
Under Pressure, Bloomberg
Says He'll Scrap 3 NDAs
Feb 21, 2020 5:20 PM CST
Under Pressure, Bloomberg Says He'll Scrap 3 NDAs
Company won't require confidentiality agreements anymore, candidate says
- Michael Bloomberg said Friday he'll release three women from nondisclosure agreements they signed with his company after accusing him of making inappropriate comments. "Bloomberg LP has identified 3 NDAs signed over the past 30+ years with women to address complaints about comments they said I had made,"...
Some Democratic Candidates
Are Nearly Out of Cash
Feb 21, 2020 3:30 PM CST
Some Democratic Candidates Are Nearly Out of Cash
Buttigieg, Warren, Biden, Klobuchar running low
- At a time in the race when running a presidential campaign is getting more expensive, many of the Democrats remaining have less money. After being camped in Iowa for what seemed like ages, the candidates now have multiple, scattered primaries ahead. And on top of competing with Bernie Sanders' fundraising...
Warren Has a Contract
for Bloomberg to Sign
Feb 21, 2020 6:51 AM CST
Warren Has a Contract for Bloomberg to Sign
Document releases former employees from NDAs
- A legal expert has written a contract that Michael Bloomberg can sign to release former Bloomberg employees from nondisclosure agreements—and her name is Elizabeth Warren. The senator, who passed the bar examination in 1976 and has taught law at several universities, unveiled the contract at a CNN town hall...
Bloomberg Warns About
Feb 20, 2020 1:32 PM CST
Bloomberg Warns About Nominating Sanders
Also, former mayor's campaign releases edited debate clip that draws criticism
- The early reviews for Michael Bloomberg's debate performance were not good . As the dust settles, the reviews ... are still not good. "Mike's got to get his legs under him," conceded campaign manager Kevin Sheekey on MSNBC, reports Politico . But in a statement, Sheekey was more upbeat....
Debate Was a Brutal
Night for Bloomberg
Feb 20, 2020 6:40 AM CST
Debate Was a Brutal Night for Bloomberg
Warren praised for standout performance
- Viewers who watched the ninth Democratic presidential debate Wednesday night hoping to see fireworks would not have been disappointed. Anybody hoping for a strong performance from Michael Bloomberg, however, would probably have changed the channel before the end of the first hour. The billionaire made his presidential debate debut in...
After Answer on
Feb 19, 2020 9:14 PM CST
Bloomberg Booed After Answer on Sexual Harassment
Warren urged him to release women from nondisclosure agreements
- Elizabeth Warren and other Democratic rivals have been pummeling Michael Bloomberg throughout the Democratic debate in Las Vegas—and she got the audience to boo the former New York City mayor on one issue. After Bloomberg—asked about the alleged culture of sexual harassment in his company—said he had...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.