Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Look Familiar? Witness the
Power of the Deepfake
Aug 6, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Look Familiar? Witness the Power of the Deepfake
Tom Cruise lookalike Miles Fisher delivers a somewhat cautionary tale about AI-powered deepfake technology
- It can’t be all bad to be born with a face like Tom Cruise. Nor is it a disadvantage to be chosen by one’s peers to deliver the Harvard commencement oration for your class. But as Miles Fisher tells it for Hollywood Reporter, those two things clashed in...
Zelensky 'Surrender' Deepfake
May Be Just the Start
Mar 17, 2022 9:24 AM CDT
Zelensky 'Surrender' Deepfake May Be Just the Start
Meta has taken phony clip down, but experts warn there could be more, and better ones, to come
- Earlier this month, Ukraine's military intel agency issued a warning about the possibility of Russia using deepfake technology to spread disinformation in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict . That has now apparently come to pass: Facebook parent Meta has removed a phony clip purporting to show Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky surrendering...
Scammers Clone Exec's Voice,
Steal $35M From Bank
Oct 15, 2021 8:35 AM CDT
Scammers Clone Exec's Voice, Steal $35M From Bank
Dubai investigators say deepfake technology fooled bank manager
- The crimes of the future are here today, according to a court document connected to a $35 million bank heist in the United Arab Emirates. Per the document, investigators in Dubai say a bank manager "received a phone call that claimed to be from the company headquarters. The caller...
Cops Say It Was
a Squad Mom
in case you missed it
Mar 20, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Cheerleaders Were Sent Disturbing Deepfakes. Cops Say It Was a Squad Mom
Pennsylvania mom faces harassment charges
- Cheerleaders from a team in Bucks County, Pa., started coming forward last year with stories of cyberbullying—and police say a cheer squad mom turned out to be behind it. Raffaela Spone, 50, is accused of harassing members of Doylestown's Victory Vipers, as well as some staffers, NBC News...
Creator of Tom
Wants to Help,
Mar 6, 2021 7:30 AM CST
Creator of Tom Cruise Deepfakes Wants to Help, Not 'Upset'
Chris Ume wants to make sure manipulated imagery isn't weaponized as misinformation
- If you've seen those TikTok videos of Tom Cruise doing magic tricks, playing golf, and telling anecdotes about Mikhail Gorbachev, you likely know they're not real. If you don't, you've been fooled by a deepfake, which is understandable, considering how well done the creations by Belgian...
Deepfake Video Puts
May 17, 2020 1:40 PM CDT
Deepfake Video Puts Trump in
And Bill Pullman responds
- President Trump, leading the charge in
? Yep, Trump tweeted Saturday a deepfake video of himself superimposed on footage of the classic blockbuster—so now it's Trump giving Bill Pullman's rousing speech to pilots about uniting for battle against extraterrestrial invaders, Deadline reports. Superimposed on pilots' faces...
Ban on 'Deepfake' Videos
Jan 7, 2020 8:47 AM CST
Facebook Announces Ban on 'Deepfake' Videos
But 'cheapfakes' can apparently stay
- Facebook is banning "deepfake" videos ahead of the 2020 election—but critics say the company isn't going far enough in dealing with doctored content. Facebook said in a blog post Monday that it is going to remove "misleading manipulated media" if it has been altered "in...
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.