Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Life Expectancy
Jumps, but There's
Another 'Bleak' Stat
Nov 29, 2023 9:55 AM CST
US Life Expectancy Jumps, but There's Another 'Bleak' Stat
Life expectancy is now 77.5 years, but that boost hasn't recouped pandemic losses
- Fresh stats out from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offer some good news and some bad news in terms of our collective longevity. "The good news is that life expectancy increased for the first time in two years," the CDC's Elizabeth Arias, a co-author on...
WHO Wants Info From China
on Surge of Respiratory Illness
Nov 23, 2023 7:18 AM CST
WHO Wants Info From China on Surge of Respiratory Illness
Expert says it does not look like a new virus
- The World Health Organization is asking China to provide details on a wave of respiratory illnesses that doctors have described as worse than in previous years. There have been more cases of respiratory illness reported in northern China since mid-October than during that same period in the three previous years,...
You Can Now Order
4 More Free COVID Tests
Nov 21, 2023 2:30 AM CST
You Can Now Order 4 More Free COVID Tests
Government is sending out another round to anyone who requests it
- Americans can order more free COVID-19 tests online for home delivery, the AP reports. The US government is offering to send another round of four at-home virus tests ahead of the typical surge in cases during the winter holiday season. Anyone who did not order a batch of four COVID-19...
Life Expectancy Gap
Between Sexes Is Growing
Nov 19, 2023 5:35 PM CST
Life Expectancy Gap Between Sexes Is Growing
COVID, overdoses expanded gap to almost 6 years
- On social media, "Why women live longer than men" is a common caption for videos showing all kinds of foolish stunts. But the real answer for the large—and growing—gap in life expectancy is grimmer, researchers say. According to a study published in the journal
JAMA Internal Medicine
Aide: Boris Johnson Suggested
COVID Injection to Prove a Point
Nov 8, 2023 6:30 PM CST
Aide: Boris Johnson Suggested COVID Injection to Prove a Point
The idea was to show the public there was nothing to fear, former chief of staff tells UK inquiry
- Boris Johnson made the comment "in the heat of the moment," and the seriousness of the virus wasn't clear at the time, but still, an inquiry has been told, the prime minister once suggested he be injected with COVID-19 live on TV to show there was nothing...
Experts: Numbers on Updated
COVID Shots Are 'Abysmal'
Oct 27, 2023 12:26 PM CDT
Experts: Numbers on Updated COVID Shots Are 'Abysmal'
Per CDC, only 7% of adults, 2% of children have received most recent coronavirus vaccine
- A month after federal officials recommended new versions of COVID-19 vaccines, 7% of US adults and 2% of children have gotten a shot. One expert called the rates "abysmal," per the AP . The numbers, presented Thursday at a meeting held by the CDC, come from a national survey...
Carnival Misled Passengers on
2020 'COVID' Cruise: Court
Oct 25, 2023 7:56 AM CDT
Carnival Misled Passengers on 2020 'COVID' Cruise: Court
In landmark ruling, Ruby Princess passengers win class-action suit against Carnival Australia
- Carnival Australia was negligent in misleading passengers about the measures in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19 ahead of a March 2020 cruise that resulted in 900 cases and 28 deaths, an Australian court ruled Wednesday in what Reuters reports is "the first class action win against a...
Administration Can Fight
Online Posts for Now
Oct 20, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
Administration Can Fight Online Posts for Now
Supreme Court says it will consider lawsuit over efforts to take down COVID, election posts
- The Supreme Court said Friday it will take up a lawsuit accusing the Biden administration of unconstitutionally trying to silence political views it disagrees with on social media, the AP reports. In the meantime, the court said it's blocking a lower court order curbing those efforts to have posts...
Inmates Win $2K Each After
Jail's Ivermectin 'Cocktail'
Oct 10, 2023 7:49 AM CDT
Inmates Win $2K Each After Jail's Ivermectin 'Cocktail'
Arkansas prisoners received antiparasitic drug, which wasn't FDA-approved for COVID, in 2021
- Five inmates at an Arkansas jail received a small settlement last month after being given ivermectin to treat their bouts with COVID. The
reports that the detainees involved in a lawsuit against Fayetteville's Washington County Detention Center were each awarded $2,000, in what ACLU Arkansas calls...
or Take Pay Cut
Oct 9, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Penn Gave Nobel-Winner Ultimatum: Leave, or Take Pay Cut
Katalin Kariko didn't leave, keeping up her dogged research that led to COVID vaccines
- Hungarian researcher Katalin Kariko looks pretty good on paper these days: She co-pioneered mRNA research at the University of Pennsylvania that led to COVID vaccines that helped save millions of lives worldwide during the pandemic; as of last week she has a Nobel for her trouble ; and, just as icing...
Family of 'Con Men'
Hear Their Fate
for Fake COVID Cure
Oct 9, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Family of 'Con Men' Hear Their Fate for Fake COVID Cure
Mark Grenon, 3 adult sons get jail time for hawking toxic bleach through their online church
- A Florida man and his three adult sons were sentenced Friday for selling a toxic industrial bleach as a fake COVID-19 cure through their online church. A federal judge in Miami sentenced Jonathan Grenon, 37, and Jordan Grenon, 29, to 12 years and seven months in prison, while Mark Grenon,...
Are No More
Oct 4, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
'Once a staple of the pandemic,' they're now a relic of the past
- Those little white cards documenting you'd been vaccinated against COVID-19, once required at certain restaurants, theaters, gyms , and international border crossings, will no longer be distributed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC says it's not giving them out anymore, and that anyone who wants...
Neanderthal Genes Suspected
in Severe COVID Cases
Sep 22, 2023 11:45 AM CDT
Neanderthal Genes Suspected in Severe COVID Cases
Study looks at a hard-hit city in Italy
- Individuals who suffer a severe COVID-19 infection may perhaps blame genes inherited from our cousins the Neanderthals. A new study focused on the northern Italian city of Bergamo, an early epicenter found to have one of the world's highest COVID-19 death rates, links a set of DNA variants, or...
Are Coming Back
Sep 21, 2023 12:22 AM CDT
Free At-Home COVID Tests Are Coming Back
Government will once again offer 4 per household
- With COVID hospitalizations back on the rise and experts warning about a possible winter surge, the federal government is once again offering free at-home tests that people can order starting next week. Four free testing kits will be mailed per household, Politico reports. The government had previously distributed COVID tests...
Don't Get New
Sep 14, 2023 2:39 AM CDT
DeSantis to Floridians: Don't Get New COVID Vaccine
Florida governor and surgeon general warn against the new shot
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and the state's top health department official are directly contradicting federal health recommendations and warning residents against getting a new COVID-19 booster , saying there's not enough evidence it provides benefits that outweigh risks, the AP reports. DeSantis, who is running for president, and Florida...
You Can Now Get Your
Updated COVID Vaccine
Sep 13, 2023 12:41 AM CDT
You Can Now Get Your Updated COVID Vaccine
Shots beginning this week, as soon as Wednesday in some locations
- Most Americans should get an updated COVID-19 vaccine, health officials said Tuesday. Advisers to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention endorsed the new shots for everyone 6 months and older and the agency's director quickly signed off Tuesday on the panel's recommendation. That means doses should be...
Updated COVID Shots Part
of Plan to Avoid 'Tripledemic'
Sep 9, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Updated COVID Shots Part of Plan to Avoid 'Tripledemic'
Approval of updated vaccines expected within days, just in time for flu and RSV season
- Updated COVID-19 vaccines are coming soon, just in time to pair them with flu shots. Doctors hope enough people get vaccinated to help avert another "tripledemic" like last year, when hospitals were overwhelmed with an early flu season, an onslaught of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and yet another winter...
Biden Wears, Then Removes
Mask at White House Ceremony
Sep 5, 2023 6:41 PM CDT
Biden Wears, Then Removes Mask at White House Ceremony
President tested negative for COVID Tuesday
- President Biden turned up in a mask for the first time in months on Tuesday, a day after his wife tested positive for COVID-19. But the president quickly ditched it during a ceremony honoring an 81-year-old Vietnam veteran, and the two unmasked octogenarians shared a hearty handshake before they parted....
First Lady Jill Biden
Has COVID Again
Sep 5, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
First Lady Jill Biden Has COVID Again
President has so far tested negative
- Jill Biden tested positive for COVID-19 Monday, her spokesperson said, but the first lady currently has just mild symptoms. President Joe Biden tested negative after his wife's test came back positive, but the White House press secretary said he would be monitored for symptoms and would continue to be...
Think We're Done
With COVID? It's
Not Done With Us
Aug 29, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Think We're Done With COVID? It's Not Done With Us
Illness is more manageable now, but late-summer wave shows our 'new normal' will include the virus
- If you're seeing a sudden uptick in people around you contracting COVID, more than three years after the start of the pandemic, and more than three months after the pandemic public health emergency was declared over , you're not imagining it. Per the
New York Times
, there's been...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.