Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
China Signals Shift Away
From 'Zero COVID' Policy
Dec 1, 2022 8:07 AM CST
China Signals Shift Away From 'Zero COVID' Policy
Country faces 'new stage and mission' in pandemic fight, top official says
- Chinese authorities have vowed to "resolutely crack down" on protests against the country's harsh "zero COVID" policies—but they also appear to be moving away from those same policies, despite rising case numbers. Dozens of districts in Shanghai and Guangzhou have been released from lockdown measures and...
Twitter Stops Enforcing
COVID Misinformation Rule
Nov 29, 2022 1:36 PM CST
Twitter Stops Enforcing COVID Misinformation Rule
Company updates its policy to reflect the change
- Twitter has made a quiet but notable move in regard to COVID: The social media titan revealed it is no longer enforcing policies against spreading misinformation about the virus or vaccines. Per Politico , the change came in the form of a policy update , which some users noticed on Monday night....
In China, the 'Unthinkable':
Protesters Call Out Xi
Nov 27, 2022 9:40 AM CST
In China, the 'Unthinkable': Protesters Call Out Xi
Anger over COVID lockdowns is boiling over
- Anger over China's draconian COVID lockdown policies has led to what the BBC describes as heretofore "unthinkable" scenes across the country: Protesters openly calling for the resignation of President Xi Jinping. Demonstrators in Shanghai in particular turned out en masse, but protests also were reported at universities in...
Lockdown in City
Nov 26, 2022 2:25 PM CST
After Protests, China Relaxes Lockdown in City
Anger over fatal fire leads to demonstrations in Xinjiang
- Authorities in China's western Xinjiang region opened up some neighborhoods in the capital of Urumqi on Saturday after residents held extraordinary late-night demonstrations against the city's draconian "zero-COVID" lockdown that had lasted more than three months. The displays of public defiance were fanned by anger over a...
Fire Kills 10
Region of China
Nov 25, 2022 4:20 PM CST
Fire Kills 10 in Locked-Down Region of China
Neighbors say COVID restrictions kept fire engines at a distance
- A fire in an apartment building in northwestern China's Xinjiang region killed 10 people and injured nine, authorities said Friday, during the stringent lockdowns that have left many residents in the area stuck in their homes for more than three months. The fire broke out Thursday night in the...
Sours as China Sees
Record COVID Cases
Nov 24, 2022 7:55 AM CST
Economic Outlook Sours as China Sees Record COVID Cases
Country has reported its first COVID deaths in 6 months
- Some three years after the earliest cases of COVID-19 emerged, infections in China have hit a record high and many millions of people are under lockdowns. Some 31,444 new locally acquired infections were reported Wednesday, breaking a record set in April when a surge in cases led to Shanghai...
Unrest Spreads at
Massive iPhone Plant
Nov 23, 2022 12:38 PM CST
Unrest Spreads at Massive iPhone Plant
Workers are in 'closed loop' amid COVID measures at Foxconn complex in China
- Last month, thousands of workers fled the vast Foxconn factory complex in Zhengzhou, China, as COVID lockdown measures were imposed. Their replacements are apparently not happy to be there. Videos posted online show thousands of workers clashing with police officers and security staff in white protective suits, the
Ice Cube: Refusing
the 'Jab' Cost Me $9M
Nov 23, 2022 11:58 AM CST
Ice Cube: Refusing the 'Jab' Cost Me $9M
He confirms he lost out on movie role because of his vaccination status
- "I don't know how Hollywood feels about me right now," said Ice Cube in a Sunday podcast appearance, but he made it crystal clear how he feels about the COVID vaccine. While appearing on "Million Dollaz Worth of Game,"
reports he confirmed murmurings that...
Girl's Death Increases
Anger at 'Zero COVID' Policy
Nov 17, 2022 4:10 AM CST
Girl's Death Increases Anger at 'Zero COVID' Policy
Infant died after becoming ill in quarantine in central China city
- Chinese authorities faced more public anger Thursday after a second child's death was blamed on overzealous anti-virus enforcement, adding to frustration at controls that have confined millions of people to their homes and sparked fights with health workers. The 4-month-old girl died after suffering vomiting and diarrhea while in...
With Discontent Growing,
China Slightly Eases
Nov 11, 2022 11:31 AM CST
With Discontent Growing, China Slightly Eases COVID Measures
But 'zero COVID' policy isn't changing, authorities say
- Authorities in China said this week that they have no intention of abandoning the country's "zero COVID" policy, but the easing of some measures was announced Friday despite rising case numbers. Quarantine in government facilities for close contacts of infected people will be cut from seven days to...
Patient Heads Home
—After 453 Days
Nov 10, 2022 11:07 AM CST
'Miracle' COVID Patient Heads Home —After 453 Days
Weaymon 'Dub' Crochet, after 15 months in Texas hospitals, says: 'God [gave] me all his angels'
- The average length of a patient's stay in a hospital while being treated for COVID is about a week or so, per CDC stats from April. A Texas man has surpassed that length of time and then some, and his survival is now being hailed as a "miracle....
New Research: Some
COVID Patients Are Like Turtles
Nov 8, 2022 5:51 PM CST
New Research: Some COVID Patients Are Like Turtles
Their unconscious brains behave in similar ways
- In the sea of COVID-related studies to emerge over the last couple years comes a particularly unusual one that compares some COVID patients to painted turtles. As the
New York Times
reports, the study examines a "puzzling phenomenon" that's been observed among COVID patients who had to be...
Oct 31, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
Walensky Tests Positive Again
CDC director returns to isolation with mild COVID-19 symptoms
- The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is back in isolation at home, after testing positive again for COVID-19. Dr. Rochelle Walensky, 53, first had a positive test on Oct 21. She then tested negative after completing a regimen of the antiviral Paxlovid, but mild symptoms returned...
Shanghai Disney Visitors Just
Got an Unpleasant Surprise
Oct 31, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Shanghai Disney Visitors Just Got an Unpleasant Surprise
Park closed indefinitely on Monday, and guests inside can't leave till they show negative COVID test
- An NPR headline from early Monday morning notes that, due to COVID, Shanghai Disney and its adjacent shopping community will be closed indefinitely from Halloween on forward. What that headline fails to mention is that all the visitors at the theme park when officials decided to abruptly close the gates...
One Theory on the Big Jump
in Workers With Disabilities
Oct 26, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
One Theory on the Big Jump in Workers With Disabilities
Fed report suggests long COVID is the driver
- Take a look at Axios' chart of how many disabled Americans are in the US workforce, and you'll see a decade where the number mostly fell between 4 million and 5 million. But since 2020 it's been a steady climb from just below 5 million to 5.73...
Oct 22, 2022 2:20 PM CDT
Walensky Tests Positive
CDC director reports mild COVID-19 symptoms
- The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has tested positive for COVID-19. Dr. Rochelle Walensky is dealing with mild symptoms, the agency said in a statement Saturday,
reports. Walensky plans to attend CDC meetings virtually while isolating at home after testing positive on Friday night....
China Doubles Down
on Zero-COVID Policies
Oct 21, 2022 4:18 AM CDT
China Doubles Down on Zero-COVID Policies
Citizens had hoped party congress would signal a loosening of harsh policies
- As China’s ruling Communist Party holds a congress this week, many Beijing residents are focused on an issue not on the formal agenda: Will the end of the meeting bring an easing of the at times draconian "zero-COVID" policies that are disrupting lives and the economy? It appears...
University's COVID Study
Causes a Ruckus
Oct 18, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
University's COVID Study Causes a Ruckus
Boston University makes hybrid version in lab, and federal agency is surprised to learn of it
- Researchers at Boston University have a COVID controversy on their hands. As Mass Live reports, scientists there created a hybrid version of the virus in the lab in order to better understand the omicron variant. The experiment resulted in what the university calls inaccurate and sensationalized media coverage—particularly at...
Taiwan: What COVID?
Come on In!
Oct 13, 2022 4:18 AM CDT
Taiwan: What COVID? Come on In!
No more mandatory quarantine for visitors
- Taiwan lifted all its COVID-19 entry restrictions on Thursday, allowing tourists unfettered access to the self-ruled island after more than 2 1/2 years of border controls. Hong Kong and Taiwan, together with mainland China, required most visitors to complete a mandatory quarantine period throughout the pandemic, even as most countries...
FDA Clears Bivalent COVID
Boosters for Kids 5 and Up
Oct 12, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
FDA Clears Bivalent COVID Boosters for Kids 5 and Up
The CDC now has to sign off
- The US on Wednesday authorized updated COVID-19 boosters for children as young as 5, seeking to expand protection ahead of an expected winter wave. Tweaked boosters rolled out for Americans 12 and older last month, doses modified to target today's most common and contagious omicron relative. While there wasn'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.