Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Irony Alert: Zoom Orders
Workers Back to the Office
Aug 7, 2023 12:39 PM CDT
Irony Alert: Zoom Orders Workers Back to the Office
That would be the company that made remote work possible, and profited hugely, during the pandemic
- Zoom let millions of people flee the office and work remotely during the pandemic, and profited greatly . Now the company that enabled that mass exodus to working in pajamas is pulling a bit of an ironic twist: It's ordering its workers to put on pants and get back into...
Zoom Call Took
Quite a Turn
May 2, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
Minnesota Lawmakers' Zoom Call Took Quite a Turn
State Sen. Calvin Bahr showed up shirtless, in front of 'Schoolhouse Rock' image, during vote
- State Sen. Calvin Barh is part of Minnesota's bipartisan Legislative Audit Commission, and he showed up this week via Zoom to cast his vote during what should've been a routine meeting. It was Bahr's appearance, however, that made the session anything but routine, and spurred a flurry...
Aug 12, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Toobin Signs Off at CNN
Legal analyst announces departure more than a year after end of his suspension
: Jeffrey Toobin told colleagues Friday that he's decided to leave CNN after 20 years as a legal analyst for the network. "It was great to spend my last day on air, like so many before, with my pals at Sit Room, AC360 and Don Lemon Tonight,"...
Sorry for Broadcasting
May 10, 2022 5:19 PM CDT
Canadian Lawmaker Sorry for Broadcasting Bathroom Visit
He was still logged on to Zoom-like feed during debate
- A Canadian lawmaker was still logged in to a debate's Zoom-like feed when he entered a bathroom stall—and opposition lawmakers say the incident shows it's time to end the "hybrid" format, in which members of Parliament can take part in debates and meetings either virtually or...
Zelensky Addresses Lawmakers
Mar 5, 2022 5:25 PM CST
Zelensky Addresses Lawmakers
Senators agree to try to get Ukraine fighter jets
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky took his case for more weapons directly to Congress on Saturday, addressing lawmakers in a Zoom call. About 300 members of the House and Senate heard him describe "the urgent need" for increased military and humanitarian aid to help Ukraine fight off the Russian invasion,...
CEO Who Fired
Zoom Is Back:
'Everyone Is Upset'
Jan 19, 2022 9:25 AM CST
CEO Who Fired Workers on Zoom Is Back: 'Everyone Is Upset'
Vishal Garg back in Better.com driver's seat after backlash over laying off 900 staffers last month
- Vishal Garg has apparently taken all the time he needed to think about what made him decide to pink-slip 900 Better.com workers last month on a short Zoom call. Per a Tuesday memo to staff from the company's board of directors, the embattled founder and CEO is back...
CEO Who Fired
Zoom Is Taking
Dec 11, 2021 6:02 AM CST
CEO Who Fired Workers Over Zoom Is Taking Time Off
Better.com's board made the announcement about Vishal Garg internally on Friday
The CEO who shot to infamy last week after opting to fire 900 workers during a brief Zoom call is "taking time off." The board of mortgage lender Better.com announced in an internal email on Friday that Vishal Garg would be taking a break "effective...
CEO's 'Cold' Zoom
Call: 'I Come to
You With Not
Dec 6, 2021 7:24 AM CST
CEO's 'Cold' Zoom Call: 'I Come to You With Not Great News'
Better.com's Vishal Garg laid off 900 employees in video conference right before holidays
- Mortgage lender startup Better.com markets itself as combining technology with a human touch to help make the homeownership process "friendly and enjoyable," but that's not how most employees would describe the Zoom call they attended with the company's billionaire CEO last Thursday. In what
Shoots Mom on
Zoom, an Arrest
Oct 13, 2021 2:16 PM CDT
After Toddler Shoots Mom on Zoom, an Arrest
2-year-old's father, Veondre Avery, is being held
A 22-year-old Florida man has been arrested in the case of a toddler who shot and killed his mother while she was on a Zoom call in August. Veondre Avery, 22, allegedly left a loaded gun in his 2-year-old son's Paw Patrol backpack, which was on the floor...
Video Call Busted
by His Seat Belt
in case you missed it
May 9, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Lawmaker on Video Call Busted by His Seat Belt
State Sen. Andrew Brennerd drives while Zooming, on day Ohio unveils distracted-driving bill
- On Monday, House Bill 283 was introduced in Ohio in a bid to tamp down on distracted driving by banning texting, taking photos, livestreaming, or otherwise using an electronic device while behind the wheel. That same day, a state senator was busted doing just that during a virtual meeting of...
Canadian Lawmaker Gives
Colleagues an Accidental Show
Apr 15, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Canadian Lawmaker Gives Colleagues an Accidental Show
William Amos said he stripped down in front of camera, not realizing it was on
- A Canadian member of parliament appeared naked in front of his colleagues Wednesday when he changed out of jogging clothes in his office—right in front of his camera. Liberal MP William Amos, the parliamentary secretary to Industry Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne, was seen completely naked during a virtual parliamentary session,...
State Senator on Zoom Call:
Yeah, I'm Breaking the Law
Apr 7, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
State Senator on Zoom Call: Yeah, I'm Breaking the Law
Rebecca Saldana admitted she attended virtual hearing while driving in Washington state
- Washington state Sen. Rebecca Saldana has voted in support of penalties for distracted driving. She's also vice chair of the Senate Transportation Committee, which makes it especially surprising that she opted to break a distracted-driving law during a virtual hearing of that committee on Tuesday. The Democrat representing parts...
Mom: Teacher Went on Racist
Zoom Rant for 30 Minutes
Mar 31, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Mom: Teacher Went on Racist Zoom Rant for 30 Minutes
California teacher Kimberly Newman apparently thought Zoom session had ended (it hadn't)
- The mother of a Black 12-year-old boy is seeking damages from a Southern California school district after her son's teacher went on a half-hour tirade laced with racism and profanity. Katura Stokes filed a damage claim—typically a precursor to a lawsuit, per the AP —on Thursday on...
Zoom for Workers,
but Only on Fridays
Mar 24, 2021 6:27 AM CDT
Citigroup Bans Zoom for Workers, but Only on Fridays
For one day a week, employees won't have to take part in Zoom meetings
- Does the thought of yet another videoconference with colleagues make you want to stick a Post-it over your laptop camera? One global company hears that and is taking measures. "After listening to colleagues around the world, it became apparent we need to combat the 'Zoom fatigue' that many...
Zoom Drops 7% as
Markets Pull Back
Mar 2, 2021 3:44 PM CST
Zoom Drops 7% as Markets Pull Back
Nielsen surges 7.7% after Roku deal
- Stocks closed lower on Wall Street after a wobbly day, giving back some of their big gains from a day earlier. The S&P 500 lost 0.8% Tuesday after flipping between small gains and losses throughout the day. A day before, it leaped 2.4% for its best performance...
Doctor Appears in Court Via
Zoom Call from Operating Room
Feb 28, 2021 6:51 AM CST
Doctor Appears in Court Via Zoom Call from Operating Room
The Medical Board of California is investigating
- A California doctor freaked out at least one judge and has caught the attention of investigators after making a virtual court appearance from an operating room where a patient was undergoing surgery. Dr. Scott Green appeared Thursday for his Sacramento Superior Court virtual trial dressed in surgical scrubs, the
Flub on G7 Call: Angela,
'I Think You Need to Mute'
Feb 19, 2021 12:44 PM CST
Flub on G7 Call: Angela, 'I Think You Need to Mute'
British PM Boris Johnson had to inform German chancellor that everyone could hear her talking
- No one turned into a cat , appeared upside down , or made a Britney Spears reference , but world leaders attending a virtual G7 conference on Friday experienced their own low-key videoconferencing snafu. Reuters reports it came courtesy of German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who inadvertently interrupted British Prime Minister Boris Johnson as...
'Are You OK?'
Feb 11, 2021 11:48 AM CST
Congressman's Virtual Call Goes Awry: 'Are You OK?'
Minnesota Rep. Tom Emmer appeared before House panel as an upside-down head
- Another day, another viral videoconferencing flub. If you're still laughing at the infamous "Cat Lawyer" Zoom clip , we have a new blunder to get you through Thursday. Mashable reports it comes courtesy of GOP Rep. Tom Emmer of Minnesota, who was piped in virtually for a meeting of...
Zoom's 'Cat Lawyer' Speaks
Out After Viral Video
Feb 10, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Zoom's 'Cat Lawyer' Speaks Out After Viral Video
'I disappeared and a cat appeared,' says Rod Ponton
- Everyone is supposedly due their 15 minutes of fame, and Rod Ponton just got his—except not as a human, but as a cat. Thanks to a video that went viral , the Texas attorney is now known around the world for being the lawyer on Zoom who couldn't figure...
Lawyer Gets Stuck in
Cat Mode During Zoom Hearing
Feb 9, 2021 5:42 PM CST
Lawyer Gets Stuck in Cat Mode During Zoom Hearing
'I'm here live. I'm not a cat'
- A West Texas judge has a word of caution to those attending court hearings via Zoom: Always check for filters before logging on. Judge Roy Ferguson's warning comes after an attorney accidentally joined a video court hearing while using a Zoom filter that made him appear like a fluffy...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.