Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Stabbed Chauvin 22 Times
Dec 1, 2023 4:55 PM CST
Prosecutors: Inmate Stabbed Chauvin 22 Times
FBI agents say John Turscak first said he chose Black Friday for the attack as a message
- An incarcerated former gang member and FBI informant was charged Friday with attempted murder in the stabbing last week of ex-Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin at a federal prison in Arizona. John Turscak stabbed Chauvin 22 times at the Federal Correctional Institution in Tucson and said he would have killed...
We're in the
Nov 26, 2023 9:31 AM CST
Chuavin's Family: We're in the Dark Over Prison Stabbing
Attorney blasts what he calls prison system's lack of transparency
- An attorney for Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murdering George Floyd, said Saturday that Chauvin's family has been kept in the dark by federal prison officials after he was stabbed in prison . The lawyer, Gregory M. Erickson, slammed the lack of transparency by the Federal...
Get the Answer
Nov 20, 2023 12:25 PM CST
Chauvin Doesn't Get the Answer He Wanted From SCOTUS
Justices declined to review his conviction in the murder of George Floyd
- Derek Chauvin's latest hopes for a conviction appeal withered on Monday, with the Supreme Court refusing to hear his case without comment. Chauvin took his appeal of his second-degree murder conviction in the death of George Floyd to the SCOTUS last month after the Minnesota Supreme Court declined to...
On Matters of
His Black Son
Oct 30, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
On Matters of Race, New Speaker Cites His Black Son
Mike Johnson and wife took in a Black teen as newlyweds, though they didn't formally adopt
- New House Speaker Mike Johnson is a Southern Republican with four biological children, as can be seen in photos from his official website . But a new wrinkle to his family life has emerged amid the flood of coverage about the Louisiana congressman: He and his wife took in a Black...
Judge Scolds Cop for Lack
of Remorse Over George Floyd
Aug 7, 2023 11:22 AM CDT
Judge Scolds Cop for Lack of Remorse Over George Floyd
Tou Thao says he was nothing more than 'human traffic cone' as officers fatally restrained Floyd
- Tou Thao , the last former Minneapolis police officer convicted in state court for his role in the killing of George Floyd, was sentenced Monday to 4 years and 9 months—even as he denied wrongdoing. As the AP reports, Thao had testified that he merely served as a "...
Aug 6, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
NASCAR Driver Suspended Over George Floyd Meme
Noah Gragson apologizes after liking post that mocked the late Floyd
- Driver Noah Gragson has been suspended indefinitely by NASCAR and Legacy Motor Club after liking an insensitive meme with a photo of George Floyd's face, per the AP . "I am disappointed in myself for my lack of attention and actions on social media," Gragson posted Saturday. "I understand the...
DOJ: This 'Made
What Happened to
George Floyd Possible'
Jun 16, 2023 11:13 AM CDT
DOJ: This 'Made What Happened to George Floyd Possible'
After 2-year investigation, agency finds Minneapolis cops engaged in pattern of discrimination
- The Justice Department accused Minneapolis police Friday of engaging in a pattern of violating constitutional rights and discriminating against Black and Native American people following an investigation prompted by the killing of George Floyd. The sweeping two-year civil rights investigation concluded that systemic problems in the Minneapolis Police Department "...
Last Officer in George Floyd
Case Is Convicted
May 2, 2023 1:39 PM CDT
Last Officer in George Floyd Case Is Convicted
Tou Thao guilty of aiding and abetting manslaughter in state case
- A former Minneapolis police officer who held back bystanders while his colleagues restrained a dying George Floyd has been convicted of aiding and abetting manslaughter, per the AP . Tou Thao , who already had been convicted in federal court of violating Floyd’s civil rights, was the last of four former...
in Teen's Shooting at Door
Apr 17, 2023 5:30 PM CDT
Homeowner Charged in Teen's Shooting at Door
Ralph Yarl, 16, is hospitalized after arriving to pick up siblings
- Missouri prosecutors announced charges late Monday against the white man who shot a Black teenager who came to his Kansas City front door by mistake. Andrew Lester, 85, faces assault in the first degree and armed criminal action charges, both felonies, per CNN . "I can tell you there was...
Chauvin Kneed People Before
Floyd. It'll Cost His City $8.9M
Apr 14, 2023 10:39 AM CDT
Chauvin Kneed People Before Floyd. It'll Cost His City $8.9M
Minneapolis will pay to settle two lawsuits filed over 2017 incidents
- The city of Minneapolis agreed Thursday to pay nearly $9 million to settle lawsuits filed by two people who said former police officer Derek Chauvin pressed his knee into their necks in 2017—three years before he used the same move that killed George Floyd. John Pope Jr. will receive...
Mar 17, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Chauvin Pleads Guilty to Tax Evasion
Officer in George Floyd case and ex-wife were charged with underreporting income to state
- The former Minneapolis police officer serving time for the 2020 murder of George Floyd pleaded guilty Friday to two counts of tax evasion. Derek Chauvin specifically pleaded guilty to two counts of aiding and abetting, failing to file tax returns to the state of Minnesota for the years 2016 and...
Officer Who Knelt on Back
of George Floyd Sentenced
Dec 9, 2022 4:30 PM CST
Officer Who Knelt on Back of George Floyd Sentenced
Judge sends J. Alexander Kueng to prison for 3½ years
- The former Minneapolis police officer who knelt on George Floyd's back while another officer knelt on the Black man's neck was sentenced Friday by a judge to 3½ years in prison. J. Alexander Kueng pleaded guilty in October to a state count of aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter....
Ex-Officer Pleads Guilty
in George Floyd Killing
Oct 24, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
Ex-Officer Pleads Guilty in George Floyd Killing
Former Minneapolis cop J. Alexander Kueng admits aiding and abetting charge
- A former Minneapolis police officer pleaded guilty Monday to aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter in the killing of George Floyd, just as jury selection was about to begin, per the AP . Another former officer waived his right to a jury trial, setting up an unusual proceeding in which the judge...
George Floyd's Family
Plans to Sue Ye for $250M
Oct 18, 2022 8:06 PM CDT
George Floyd's Family Plans to Sue Ye for $250M
He 'maliciously made statements that are inaccurate and unfounded,' attorneys say
: George Floyd's family is planning to sue Kanye West for $250 million over his claims that Floyd died from a fentanyl overdose. Roxie Washington, the mother of Floyd's daughter, plans to file the suit on the girl's behalf,
reports. A statement from attorneys said...
Ex-Cop Gets Light Sentence for
Role in George Floyd's Death
Sep 21, 2022 1:48 PM CDT
Ex-Cop Gets Light Sentence for Role in George Floyd's Death
Thomas Lane's 3-year sentence is below state guidelines
- A former Minneapolis police officer who pleaded guilty to a state charge of aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter in the killing of George Floyd was sentenced Wednesday to three years. Thomas Lane is already serving a 2.5-year federal sentence for violating Floyd’s civil rights. When it came to...
Texas Rejects Posthumous
Pardon for George Floyd
Sep 16, 2022 2:26 PM CDT
Texas Rejects Posthumous Pardon for George Floyd
Board first voted yes, then no after Abbott's office kicked recommendation back
- Without giving a reason, Texas officials revealed their decision Thursday to not grant a posthumous pardon to George Floyd over a Houston drug conviction. The Board of Pardons and Paroles told the public defender who has represented Floyd in a letter, the Hill reports. A majority on the board opposed...
Ex-Cops in George Floyd Case
Get Sentences Below Guidelines
Jul 27, 2022 2:01 PM CDT
Ex-Cops in George Floyd Case Get Sentences Below Guidelines
Federal judge told Tou Thao he had 'done well to become a good police officer'
- All four former Minneapolis police officers involved in the death of George Floyd have now received prison sentences. Former officer J. Alexander Keung received a federal sentence of 3 years on Wednesday; former colleague Tou Thao was sentenced to 3.5 years, the
reports. Keung held the Black...
Derek Chauvin Just
Got More Prison Time
Jul 7, 2022 3:46 PM CDT
Derek Chauvin Just Got More Prison Time
Ex-officer convicted of violating George Floyd's civil rights
- A federal judge on Thursday sentenced Derek Chauvin to 21 years in prison for violating George Floyd's civil rights, a move that adds a few years to the time the former Minneapolis police officer is already serving for his murder conviction while transferring him to federal custody. US District...
Judge: Ex-Cops in Floyd Killing
Can't Get Fair Trial Right Now
Jun 6, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Judge: Ex-Cops in Floyd Killing Can't Get Fair Trial Right Now
Judge Peter Cahill delays trial of Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng until January
- The judge overseeing the remaining case of two former Minneapolis police officers charged in George Floyd's killing ordered Monday that the trial be delayed until January to improve prospects for a fair trial. Tou Thao and J. Alexander Kueng had been due to go on trial next Monday on...
Jun 1, 2022 7:15 AM CDT
Lawsuits: We Endured Derek Chauvin's 'Signature Move'
Minneapolis city attorney hopes for a 'reasonable settlement'
- Two Minnesotans filed federal civil rights lawsuits Tuesday against the city of Minneapolis and Derek Chauvin, alleging they were traumatized when the former police officer used his "signature move" of kneeling on their necks—the same way that he killed George Floyd, per the AP . John Pope Jr. was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.