Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news stories and cases of child neglect and abuse on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
2 Siblings of Girl Who Died
of Starvation to Get $5M Each
Nov 7, 2023 1:45 PM CST
2 Siblings of Girl Who Died of Starvation to Get $5M Each
Iowa will pay the penalty after Sabrina Ray's death in foster care
- Iowa will pay $10 million to the siblings of an adopted 16-year-old girl who weighed just 56 pounds when she died of starvation in 2017, according to a state board that approved the settlement Monday. Sabrina Ray was severely malnourished when authorities found her body at her home in Perry,...
Cops: Woman Leaves Two
Girls Alone at Ocean Beach
Oct 16, 2023 2:38 PM CDT
Cops: Woman Leaves Two Girls Alone at Ocean Beach
Attorney faces child neglect charges in Florida, tells police she was parking the car
- A Florida attorney is facing felony charges after police say she left two young children unattended at a beach on the Gulf of Mexico, reports the
Tampa Bay Times
. The younger of the girls, age 3, was playing unattended in waist-deep water before witnesses took her out, according to police....
Cops: Mom Left
Alone for 10 Days
Jun 27, 2023 3:30 AM CDT
Cops: Mom Left 16-Month-Old Alone for 10 Days
Cleveland 31-year-old has been charged with girl's murder upon return from vacation
- Ohio authorities say a Cleveland mother went on vacation for 10 days and left her 16-month-old daughter home alone that entire time—and that the mother arrived home to find the toddler dead. Kristel Candelario, 31, called 911 upon returning from her trip to Detroit and Puerto Rico and finding...
Cops: Texas Mom Left
Kids Alone for Weeks
Mar 12, 2023 6:01 AM CDT
Cops: Texas Mom Left Kids Alone for Weeks
Raven Yates allegedly left daughter, 12, and son, 3, and left for Alabama
- The charges are disturbing enough that the case would likely have made headlines anyway. But the grinning face of the suspect upon her arrest—a mother charged with leaving her two kids to fend for themselves for several weeks—has generated a whole other level of attention. Police in Roman...
Remains Identified as
Jan 27, 2023 7:01 AM CST
Remains Identified as Missing 4-Year-Old
Prosecutors say Athena Brownfield was beaten to death on Christmas Day
- Authorities in Oklahoma have confirmed that a body found last week is that of missing 4-year-old girl Athena Brownfield. She was reported missing on Jan. 10, when a postal worker found her 5-year-old sister wandering unattended outside a home, but prosecutors say she was beaten to death on Christmas Day...
Vegan Mother Sentenced
to Life Over Toddler's Death
Aug 29, 2022 4:56 PM CDT
Vegan Mother Sentenced to Life Over Toddler's Death
Sheila O'Leary was convicted on charges including first-degree murder
- A vegan woman convicted of murder in the malnutrition death of her young son was sentenced Monday to life in prison. Sheila O'Leary, 38, whose family followed a strict vegan diet, was convicted in June on six charges—first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter, child abuse, and two...
Arizona Couple Allegedly Left
Boy, 11, Home Alone for Weeks
Jan 4, 2022 4:42 PM CST
Arizona Couple Allegedly Left Boy, 11, Home Alone for Weeks
Officials made contact with the child Dec. 12, parents returned home Dec. 29
- An Arizona child was left home alone for at least two weeks, says authorities, and now his parents have been charged with child neglect. NBC News reports the 11-year-old's mother left the state prior to Thanksgiving, and that his father left a shortly after that holiday. The Cochise County...
Mom of Abandoned Boys Says
She Visited 'Every 2 Weeks'
Oct 30, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Mom of Abandoned Boys Says She Visited 'Every 2 Weeks'
Gloria Williams now claims she also didn't know her 8-year-old son, Kendrick Lee, was dead
- A Texas mother charged after the body of her 8-year-old son was found in an apartment along with three abandoned siblings now says she checked on her boys "every two weeks" and that she hadn't realized one of the brothers was dead. "I'm sorry. I didn'...
Cops: Boy Shot in 'Drive-By,'
With Dad Behind the Wheel
Jun 2, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Cops: Boy Shot in 'Drive-By,' With Dad Behind the Wheel
Father of 10-year-old charged with child neglect after paintball incident leads to real gun violence
- Police say a Florida man agreed to take his son out for a "drive-by" shooting using a paintball marker, which ended with the 10-year-old boy being shot with a real gun. Michael Williams, 26, drove his van as his son leaned out, firing off paintballs into a crowd of...
Guy Charged With Felony
for Being a 'Cool Father'
Jun 11, 2020 5:35 PM CDT
Guy Charged With Felony for Being a 'Cool Father'
Shaun Michaelsen, 41, was arrested in Florida
- A Florida man is facing felony charges after police said he let a 12-year-old girl drive his SUV and told her to speed because he wanted to be a "cool father"—even though he is not her dad, the AP reports. Shaun Michaelsen, 41, told the arresting officer...
Cops: We 'Couldn't Believe' This
Dad Was Involved in Shooting
Dec 12, 2019 9:00 AM CST
Cops: We 'Couldn't Believe' This Dad Was Involved in Shooting
Dustin Adkins charged in accidental shooting of daughter, 9
- Florida's Dustin Adkins is barred from possessing guns after a handgun he was showing off in 2011 accidentally discharged, killing a 13-year-old girl. That's why Titusville police say they were dumbfounded to discover that Adkins' own 9-year-old daughter was shot Saturday when her father allegedly left her and...
Teen Calls Hotline, Cops Find
Home in 'Complete Disarray'
Nov 4, 2019 7:42 AM CST
Teen Calls Hotline, Cops Find Home in 'Complete Disarray'
5 kids found living in 'deplorable' conditions in Florida home, parents charged with child neglect
- While most kids were out trick-or-treating on Thursday, one Florida teen was calling into an abuse hotline, a call that ended up getting both of her parents arrested. NBC News reports the call that came in on Halloween was from a 14-year-old girl who alerted authorities there was abuse going...
Florida Mom Overdoses
With 3 Kids in Car
Nov 4, 2019 1:31 AM CST
Florida Mom Overdoses With 3 Kids in Car
Her 12-year-old daughter called 911
- A 12-year-old girl in Florida may have saved her mother's life after the woman overdosed on heroin while driving on a highway, police say. "My mom won't wake up and we're on the I-4 in the car," the girl said after calling 911. "We'...
Youth Ranch Raided After
Complaint About Nail Gun
Jul 25, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Youth Ranch Raided After Complaint About Nail Gun
Children allegedly 'hit, kicked ... spit on' at Montana's Ranch for Kids
- Montana has removed 27 children from a home for troubled youth after reports of abuse, including one mentioning a nail gun shot at a child, per NBC News . "No child should have to experience what multiple sources have alleged has happened at the Ranch for Kids" in Rexford, near...
Email—for 4 Years
Jul 16, 2019 7:33 AM CDT
Nobody Checked Child Abuse Email—for 4 Years
'We did not know this email even existed'
- A Colorado government email account set up to organize reports of child abuse and neglect went unchecked for four years so that five cases requiring immediate attention were disregarded. Colorado's Department of Human Services launched firstname.lastname@example.org in 2015 as a way for government staff to support a...
Cops: Boy's Death
Will Haunt Us Our Whole Lives
May 31, 2019 10:53 AM CDT
Cops: Boy's Death Will Haunt Us Our Whole Lives
Parents of Florida's Eduardo Posso, 12, allegedly shackled, shocked, and starved him
- It was a slow and painful death for a 12-year-old Indiana boy chained and starved by his father and stepmother, according to authorities. "I cannot think of, in 30 years, a case like this. It's beyond anything I've worked," Monroe County Sheriff Brad Swain says, per...
'Hundreds of Bugs' Crawl Out of
Girl's Backpack, Mom Arrested
May 11, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
'Hundreds of Bugs' Crawl Out of Girl's Backpack, Mom Arrested
Jessica Stevenson has been charged with felony child neglect
- When a Florida second grader came to Bagdad Elementary School in Milton with an undesirable smell and soiled clothes, a staffer found out from the little girl she didn't remember the last time she'd bathed. Then, "hundreds of bugs crawled out" of the child's backpack in...
Cops: Mom Left Kids Home
Dec 24, 2018 10:00 AM CST
Cops: Mom Left Kids Home Alone Watching
Indiana woman charged in very meta crime
- An Indiana mom left her two small sons home alone with some very appropriate entertainment, reports KWBE . Police responded to a report of unattended children in a Muncie home and found 4- and 7-year-old brothers watching none other than
KFOR reports that when cops contacted their mother at...
Cops: Girl Told
by Mom to 'Hurry'
Under Train Dies
Dec 19, 2018 7:27 AM CST
Cops: Girl Told by Mom to 'Hurry' Under Train Dies
'Worst thing I've ever seen in my life,' witness says of 8-year-old killed in Fresno, Calif.
- Joy Frances Collins didn't want to miss her bus home, so the California mom asked her children to do something they'd done many times before, police say—and now her young daughter is dead. Per Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer, Collins, her 9-year-old son, and 8-year-old Joyanna (spelled...
Cops: Mom Left 3 Kids
in Cold Car to Shop
Nov 23, 2018 4:45 PM CST
Cops: Mom Left 3 Kids in Cold Car to Shop
Wisconsin woman faces child-neglect charges
- It's the corollary to the child-left-in-hot-car stories from the summer: A woman in Wisconsin faces child-neglect charges after leaving her three young children in a cold car while she shopped, reports TMJ4 . Police say Ashley Pirlot, 26, of Milwaukee left her three girls, ages 6 months, 17 months, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.