Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Candidate Who Lost by 3 Votes
Calls Daughter's Ballot Bogus
Dec 19, 2022 4:48 PM CST
Candidate Who Lost by 3 Votes Calls Daughter's Ballot Bogus
New Jersey official says she didn't meet residency requirement and voted for his opponent
- A Republican township official in New Jersey who lost reelection by three votes wants the mail-in ballot cast by his daughter, who voted Democratic in the Nov. 8 election, thrown out. The Republican Party of Morris County maintains that several young Democrats cast ballots by mail though they didn't...
Republican Lawsuits Target
Mail-In Ballots in Key States
Nov 7, 2022 2:54 PM CST
Republican Lawsuits Target Mail-In Ballots in Key States
Experts say the suits could delay results and ultimately change outcomes
- Ahead of the midterms, courts at all levels across the country are already grappling with a slew of lawsuits targeting absentee ballots. According to the
Washington Post ,
the latest suits stem from a "sustained campaign against alleged voter fraud" by Republican officials and candidates. Critics call it a "...
Court: Don't Count Mail Ballots
Lacking Right Date on Envelope
Nov 2, 2022 4:27 PM CDT
Court: Don't Count Mail Ballots Lacking Right Date on Envelope
Republicans win at Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- In a victory for Republicans, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court told state election officials on Tuesday not to count mail-in ballots that don't have the correct date on the envelope. The ruling could make the difference in close races, potentially deciding control of Congress in next week's midterm elections,...
Voters Should Have Confidence
in Postal Service, DeJoy Says
Aug 10, 2022 4:56 PM CDT
Voters Should Have Confidence in Postal Service, DeJoy Says
Rates will go up in January, postmaster general says
- Inflation is going to add over $1 billion to the US Postal Service budget, necessitating a request for another rate increase in January, but Postmaster General Louis DeJoy says the service is ready for the November election. The Postal Service has already delivered about 40 million ballots to and from...
Arizona Panel Backs
Dropping Voting Machines
Feb 14, 2022 7:36 PM CST
Arizona Panel Backs Dropping Voting Machines
A few Republicans join Democrats in resisting hand counts, Sharpie bans, and 'magic paper'
- Republican state senators on Monday advanced legislation that would require every ballot cast in Arizona's elections to be counted by hand, with GOP proponents who embraced former President Donald Trump's false narrative of massive voter fraud calling it a needed reform. The proposal was approved Monday by the...
Sep 27, 2021 7:12 PM CDT
California Makes Mail-In Voting Law
Pandemic experiment will be the new normal
- Until recently, only a handful of states have automatic mail-in ballot systems. Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, Utah, Colorado, and Nevada, and DC use the system, and Vermont does, too, in general elections. California is the newest member of the club, since Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill Monday making California’s...
Florida Passes New
Apr 30, 2021 4:28 AM CDT
Florida Passes New Voting Restrictions
Bill slammed as 'revival of Jim Crow'
- Republican lawmakers in Florida have passed a controversial election overhaul bill despite the lack of problems in the state's 2020 election, which they say was the "gold standard" for the country. The state is the first swing state won by Donald Trump to introduce new voting restrictions following...
Slap Warnings on
This Trump Claim
Nov 3, 2020 4:11 AM CST
Twitter, Facebook Slap Warnings on This Trump Claim
Trump claims SCOTUS decision on Pennsylvania will lead to 'violence in the streets'
- President Trump's latest social media warning comes from both tech giants: Twitter and Facebook have slapped labels on his post about the Supreme Court's decision on Pennsylvania ballots. "The Supreme Court decision on voting in Pennsylvania is a VERY dangerous one," Trump posted Monday night (Twitter...
This Time, SCOTUS
Hands Democrats the Victory
Oct 29, 2020 1:20 AM CDT
This Time, SCOTUS Hands Democrats the Victory
Rules that North Carolina can count votes received 9 days after Election Day
- The Supreme Court's latest decision on the election is a win for Democrats: North Carolina can count ballots received up to nine days after Election Day, as long as they were postmarked by Nov. 3, the high court ruled Wednesday. Republicans and the Trump campaign filed two separate appeals...
'Crazy' Voting Numbers
May Yield a US First
in case you missed it
Oct 18, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
'Crazy' Voting Numbers May Yield a US First
Majority might cast ballots before Election Day for the first time
- Nearly 21 million Americans have already cast ballots in the 2020 election, a record-shattering avalanche of early votes amid the pandemic. The 20.8 million ballots submitted as of Friday afternoon represent 15% of all the votes cast in the 2016 presidential election, the AP reports, even as eight states...
Fails to Send Out Ballots
Oct 17, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
'Overwhelmed' Company Fails to Send Out Ballots
The media spotlight falls on Midwest Direct
- A company tasked with supplying absentee ballots to counties in Ohio and Pennsylvania has kinda blown it—at least in some counties, so far. And the company, Midwest Direct, is unabashedly pro-Trump. "We have freedom to vote for who we want and support who we want," co-owner Richard...
Supreme Court Requires
Change in State's Ballots
Oct 6, 2020 1:17 AM CDT
Supreme Court Requires Change in State's Ballots
High court reinstates South Carolina's witness requirement
- The Supreme Court on Monday reinstated a requirement that South Carolina residents voting by mail in November’s election get a witness to sign their ballots, the AP reports. Democrats had sought to have the requirement put on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic, but Republicans had defended it as...
Florida Voter Caught
Seeking Ballot for Dead Wife
Oct 5, 2020 12:08 PM CDT
Florida Voter Caught Seeking Ballot for Dead Wife
Larry Wiggins is charged with a felony
- A Florida man is in trouble after requesting a mail-in ballot for his dead wife, WFLA reports. Larry Wiggins was arrested Thursday in Manatee County and charged with requesting a mail-in ballot on behalf of another elector, a third-degree felony. His explanation? "I heard so much about ballots being...
Political Operatives Might
Have Gone Too Far This Time
Oct 3, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Political Operatives Might Have Gone Too Far This Time
Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman are accused of masterminding 'fake' robocalls
- A pair of right-wing operatives are facing serious charges in Michigan that could put them behind bars for years, the
reports. Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman—famed for their conspiracy theories and aggressive tactics—allegedly intimidated urban voters with robocalls designed to suppress mail-in voting. The calls targeted...
Official Explains Those
9 Discarded Military Ballots
Oct 2, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
Official Explains Those 9 Discarded Military Ballots
Pennsylvania Secretary of State Kathy Boockvar calls them a 'bad error'
- It looks like nine discarded military ballots were tossed out in Pennsylvania by mistake, the AP reports. The state's senior elections official said Wednesday that election workers in Luzerne County are still learning how to handle military mail-in and overseas ballots and goofed on this one. "The investigation...
Huge Lead Emerges
in Mail Voting
Sep 30, 2020 3:03 AM CDT
Huge Lead Emerges in Mail Voting
But it's far too early for Democrats to celebrate
- Republicans are concerned by a wide Democratic lead in mail voting, according to the
, which reports Democrats have requested the majority of mail ballots in the battleground states of Florida, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Maine, and Iowa. Democrats represent 52% of the more than 9 million voters who've...
Transfer: We'll See
Sep 24, 2020 6:25 AM CDT
Trump on Committing to Peaceful Power Transfer: We'll See
President complains, once again, about mail-in voting
- President Trump on Wednesday declined to commit to a peaceful transfer of power should he lose the election in November. "Well, we’re going to have to see what happens," Trump said when asked directly about the issue during a press conference,
reports. "You know...
Official: Lawn Toilet
Display Is a Crime
Sep 19, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
Official: Lawn Toilet Display Is a Crime
A Michigan resident suggested voters put mail-in ballots inside a toilet
- A Michigan resident's apparent joke showing disdain for voting by mail is no laughing matter for one election official, the AP reports. The resident put a toilet on their lawn with a sign that says, "Place mail in ballots here." Barb Byrum, the Democratic clerk of Ingham...
Are in Cahoots
Sep 17, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Judge: Trump, Postal Service Are in Cahoots
Judge Stanley Bastian issues a nationwide injunction against the USPS 'leave behind' policy
- A US judge on Thursday blocked controversial Postal Service changes that have slowed mail nationwide, calling them "a politically motivated attack on the efficiency of the Postal Service" before the November election, the AP reports. Judge Stanley Bastian in Yakima, Washington, said he was issuing a nationwide preliminary injunction...
Voting in the 2020 Election
Has Officially Begun
Sep 4, 2020 7:09 AM CDT
Voting in the 2020 Election Has Officially Begun
NC has started sending out mail-in ballots
- Mail balloting was set to begin Friday in the presidential election as North Carolina starts sending out more than 600,000 ballots to voters—responding to a massive spike in requests that has played out across the country as voters look for a safer way to cast ballots during the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.