Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Chlorinating Your Pool Might
Be Tough This Summer
May 2, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Chlorinating Your Pool Might Be Tough This Summer
Louisiana factory fire partially to blame for shortage
- A major shortage of chlorine has come just in time for pool season. Per CNN , a chemical plant fire in Louisiana caused by Hurricane Laura has caused a dip in supply of the tablets commonly used to keep pools clear and free of algae. The fire left just two domestic...
After Hurricane, Mosquitoes
Are Killing Livestock
Sep 11, 2020 3:33 AM CDT
After Hurricane, Mosquitoes Are Killing Livestock
'They're vicious little suckers'
- In the aftermath of Hurricane Laura, parts of southern Louisiana have become a mosquito paradise—and hell for livestock. Swarms of thousands of mosquitoes have killed hundreds of cows, along with deer, horses, and other animals,
reports. The insects have been draining blood from the animals, leaving them...
A Family Made It Through the
Storm. They Died Hours Later
Sep 1, 2020 12:29 PM CDT
A Family Made It Through the Storm. They Died Hours Later
Slew of generator-caused carbon monoxide deaths in Louisiana, Texas after Hurricane Laura
- The death toll from Hurricane Laura has now reached the double digits, and in Louisiana, one family took an especially hard hit. Per the
, the state's health department reports a family of four in Lake Charles succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning, with Lake Charles Fire Chief Shawn Caldwell...
NICU Staffers Stay Behind
as Hurricane Laura Strikes
Aug 30, 2020 1:10 PM CDT
NICU Staffers Stay Behind as Hurricane Laura Strikes
'I'm proud of them,' says doctor at Lake Charles Memorial Hospital
- Nineteen babies already have a story to tell—and people to thank. Several NICU staffers stayed behind at a Louisiana hospital this week as Hurricane Laura ripped into the state, CNN reports. Amid howling winds and leaky windows, Dr. Juan Bossano and a group of 14 nurses, 3 respiratory therapists,...
Done by Laura
Aug 29, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Residents Face the Damage Done by Laura
It was the most powerful hurricane ever to hit Louisiana
- Residents in southwestern Louisiana embarked Saturday on the epic task of clearing away felled trees, ripped-off roofs and downed power lines after Hurricane Laura tore through parts of the state, the AP reports. The US toll from the Category 4 hurricane rose to 16 deaths, with more than half of...
In Laura's Wake,
Amount of Damage'
Aug 28, 2020 10:17 AM CDT
In Laura's Wake, 'Tremendous Amount of Damage'
Louisiana, Texas, and Arkansas hit hard, though storm wasn't as catastrophic as feared
- The remnants of Hurricane Laura mangled buildings and unleashed heavy rain and twisters hundreds of miles inland from a path of death along the Gulf Coast, and forecasters warn of new dangers as the tropical weather nears the Eastern Seaboard this weekend. One of the strongest hurricanes ever to strike...
Hurricane Takes Down Statue
Officials Had Voted to Keep
Aug 28, 2020 12:30 AM CDT
Hurricane Takes Down Statue Officials Had Voted to Keep
Laura topples the South's Defenders Monument in Lake Charles, La.
- Two weeks ago, officials in Lake Charles, Louisiana, declined to remove a controversial Confederate monument. This week, Hurricane Laura went ahead and toppled the statue herself. The South's Defenders Monument, a statue featuring a Confederate soldier that used to stand in front of the Calcasieu Parish Courthouse, was found...
Images From Hurricane Laura
Aug 27, 2020 2:28 PM CDT
Images From Hurricane Laura
It's now a still-powerful tropical storm; Trump will visit Gulf Coast this weekend
- President Trump will visit the Gulf Coast this weekend to tour damage from one of the fiercest hurricanes to hit the United States, per the AP . Trump said he would visit Texas and Louisiana on Saturday or Sunday to survey the destruction caused by Laura, which Louisiana Gov. John...
Sheriff to Those Staying Put:
Put Name in Ziploc Bag
Aug 27, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
Sheriff to Those Staying Put: Put Name in Ziploc Bag
Louisiana residents warned that help may not be immediately available
- Residents of many parts of Louisiana's Vermilion Parish were under a mandatory evacuation order triggered by the worst storm to hit the region in more than a century, and those who stuck around better hold on tight. "Those choosing to stay and face this very dangerous storm must...
First Death Reported
From Hurricane Laura
Aug 27, 2020 9:40 AM CDT
First Death Reported From Hurricane Laura
Louisiana girl, 14, dies when tree falls on her house
- Hurricane Laura made landfall overnight and has been punishing the Gulf Coast ever since. One of the first coastal cities hit was Lake Charles in Louisiana, where images of torn-off roofs, damaged buildings, and downed power lines were common, reports the
TV station KHOU is compiling videos from
National Hurricane Center
Has a Dire Warning
Aug 26, 2020 2:38 PM CDT
National Hurricane Center Has a Dire Warning
It says the storm surge from Hurricane Laura will be 'unsurvivable'
- Hurricane Laura is now a Category 4 storm, and it's headed right toward Texas and Louisiana. And the warning that the National Hurricane Center has for some who live in those states is a dire one. It tweeted Wednesday: "Unsurvivable storm surge with large and destructive waves will...
Texas Governor Predicts
'a Lot of Devastation'
Aug 25, 2020 7:09 PM CDT
Texas Governor Predicts 'a Lot of Devastation'
Hurricane Laura will be 'more of a wind event' than Harvey, Abbott says
- At least 59 counties in Texas are now under a disaster declaration, and Gov. Greg Abbott is predicting "a lot of devastation" when Hurricane Laura sweeps through the state. The storm, which became a Category 1 hurricane on Tuesday, is expected to gain strength from warm waters and be...
Popular on Newser
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.