Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Suggestion to Republicans
Jun 10, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Raffensperger Makes Suggestion to Republicans
Georgia's secretary of state asks party to support principled candidates
- Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, who was once asked by Donald Trump to "find" enough votes to keep him in the White House, made a request before the former president's arrival in the state Saturday. He wants his fellow Republican voters to "find leaders that are...
Graham Turns to Supreme Court
to Block Grand Jury Subpoena
Oct 21, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
Graham Turns to Supreme Court to Block Grand Jury Subpoena
Appeals panel unanimously rejected Republican's request a day earlier
: Stymied by a federal appeals court on Thursday, Sen. Lindsey Graham turned to the Supreme Court on Friday to try to avoid appearing before a grand jury investigating possible efforts to overturn the 2020 presidential election. The South Carolina Republican filed the emergency request with Justice Clarence Thomas, who...
Georgia Secretary of State:
'Numbers Don't Lie'
Jun 21, 2022 3:08 PM CDT
Georgia Secretary of State: 'Numbers Don't Lie'
Raffensperger says almost 300 election fraud claims were investigated, but Trump didn't want to hear truth
- Tuesday's Jan. 6 panel hearing focused on former President Donald Trump's pressure on state officials to overturn his election loss—especially in Georgia, where he urged Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to "find" 11,780 votes that could reverse President Biden's win. "There were not...
Report: Trump 'Stunned'
by Georgia Primary Result
May 30, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Report: Trump 'Stunned' by Georgia Primary Result
Insiders say he wasn't expecting big Raffensperger win
- Candidates endorsed by former President Donald Trump were roundly defeated in last week's Republican primaries in Georgia—and insiders say Trump was most shocked by the victory of Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger. The
, citing sources close to Trump, reports that the former president was "disappointed"...
In Georgia, Another
Primary Blow for Trump
May 25, 2022 12:10 AM CDT
In Georgia, Another Primary Blow for Trump
Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger beats Trump-backed challenger, others
- Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, who was a top target of former President Trump, has won the Republican primary as he seeks reelection, the AP reports. Raffensperger beat three challengers, including Trump-endorsed US Rep. Jody Hice, who had criticized his handling of the 2020 election. Raffensperger was among Trump’...
Trump's Clout Faces Big
Test in Georgia Races
May 24, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Trump's Clout Faces Big Test in Georgia Races
It's another primary day
- It's another busy primary Tuesday. Georgia takes center stage as Gov. Brian Kemp and Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger try to fight back challengers endorsed by former President Trump, who's seeking revenge for his 2020 election defeat in the state. An assessment at FiveThirtyEight sees that and other...
Special Grand Jury to Be Seated
in Georgia Election Inquiry
Jan 25, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Special Grand Jury to Be Seated in Georgia Election Inquiry
Fulton County's Fani Willis is investigating whether Trump, others tried to interfere
Judges have approved a request for a special grand jury by the Georgia prosecutor who's investigating whether former President Donald Trump and others broke the law by trying to pressure Georgia officials to throw out Joe Biden's presidential election victory, the AP reports. The special grand jury...
Georgia Workers Accused of
Shredding Voter Applications
Oct 12, 2021 3:01 PM CDT
Georgia Workers Accused of Shredding Voter Applications
2 Fulton County workers have been fired
- Officials in Georgia's most populous county, where election operations are already under review by the state, have fired two workers accused of shredding paper voter registration applications, according to a county statement released Monday. Preliminary information indicates that the employees checked out batches of applications for processing, and they...
Judge Strikes Down Part
of Georgia Voting Law
Aug 23, 2021 6:05 PM CDT
Judge Strikes Down Part of Georgia Voting Law
But he declined to block numerous other provisions
- A federal judge has found that a part of Georgia's sweeping new election law that broadly prohibits the photographing of a voted ballot is likely unconstitutional. US District Judge J.P. Boulee on Friday granted a preliminary injunction on that section of the law, meaning it cannot be enforced...
Phone Call Is Out
Mar 11, 2021 1:35 AM CST
Recording of Trump's Legally Murky Georgia Phone Call Is Out
Then-president had a 6-minute call with Georgia election investigator
- Then-President Trump made more than one legally murky phone call to a Georgia official as the state worked to certify election results, and the recording of one is now out. The 6-minute call, which Trump made on Dec. 23 to the state's lead elections investigator , was to Frances Watson,...
Now 2 States Are Pursuing
Criminal Cases Against Trump
Feb 10, 2021 10:45 AM CST
Now 2 States Are Pursuing Criminal Cases Against Trump
Georgia reportedly joins New York
- Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger and others reportedly got a letter from Fulton County prosecutors on Wednesday that made clear the state has started a criminal investigation into former President Trump, sources tell the
New York Times
and NBC News . The letter from Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis...
Investigated for Voter Fraud
Feb 3, 2021 6:33 AM CST
Pro-Trump Lawyer Investigated for Voter Fraud
Lin Wood, who voted in Georgia, said he's been living in SC for 'months'
- A pro-Trump lawyer who vehemently defended the former president's claims of election fraud is under investigation for possible voter fraud in Georgia. The office of Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger says it's investigating Lin Wood, who was based in Atlanta, after he told a reporter he'd been...
Jan 9, 2021 1:30 PM CST
Trump May Have Leaned on Georgia Investigator
Legal experts say the call might have violated the law
- President Trump told Georgia's lead elections investigator last month that he'd be "a national hero" if he would "find the fraud" in Cobb County's voting results. Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said that the call was placed Dec. 23 but that he didn't know...
Jan 6, 2021 7:33 PM CST
Protesters Targeted Statehouses Nationwide
Raffensperger was evacuated from Georgia Capitol
- Washington, DC wasn't the only capital targeted by pro-President Trump protesters Wednesday. In Atlanta, Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger and his staff were evacuated from the Georgia Capitol as militia members gathered outside, 11Alive reports. Officials say they were escorted out of the building due to security concerns as...
Election Official 'Wanted
to Scream' When He
Heard Trump Call
Jan 4, 2021 5:01 PM CST
Election Official 'Wanted to Scream' When He Heard Trump Call
Raffensperger's office debunks fraud claims
- A top election official in Georgia says hearing President Trump rehash election fraud claims was like
. At a news conference called by Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger's office Monday, a clearly exasperated Gabriel Sterling listed the claims Trump made in his Saturday call to Raffensperger and...
Democrats Want FBI
to Investigate Trump Call
Jan 4, 2021 3:00 PM CST
Democrats Want FBI to Investigate Trump Call
'The evidence of election fraud by Mr. Trump is now in broad daylight'
- Experts have called President Trump's phone call to Georgia's secretary of state legally murky —but a few congressional Democrats say it was clearly criminal. In a letter to FBI Director Christopher Wray sent Monday, Reps. Ted Lieu and Kathleen Rice called for an "immediate criminal investigation"...
Outlets Say About
His Phone Call
Jan 4, 2021 10:50 AM CST
What Pro-Trump Outlets Say About His Phone Call
He 'acted properly,' declares Newsmax
- After the
came out with its scoop about President Trump's phone call to Georgia election officials, critics accused him of running afoul of the law. But Trump's supporters see things much differently. Two examples of positive coverage:
Newsmax notes that the
, referring to Trump's
Trump's Georgia Phone Call
Was Legally Murky: Experts
Jan 4, 2021 6:55 AM CST
Trump's Georgia Phone Call Was Legally Murky: Experts
But almost certainly won't be prosecuted, they say
- When the
published its scoop on President Trump's leaked phone call with Georgia's secretary of state , the newspaper noted the POTUS may have been skating on thin ice, legally speaking, with his attempts to get Brad Raffensperger on board with overturning Joe Biden's win in...
Trump: 'I Just Want
to Find 11,780 Votes'
Jan 3, 2021 2:30 PM CST
Trump: 'I Just Want to Find 11,780 Votes'
Washington Post has recording of the president's call to Brad Raffensperger
- “So look. All I want to do is this. I just want to find 11,780 votes.” That’s what President Trump said to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger on Saturday in an “extraordinary” hour-long phone call, the
Amy Gardner reports. The
New Voters Could
Decide Senate Runoffs
Dec 17, 2020 5:40 PM CST
New Voters Could Decide Senate Runoffs
Thousands, mostly young, have registered in time to affect Georgia's January election
- There's a wild card in the Georgia Senate runoffs. The state has signed up almost 76,000 new voters who are eligible to vote Jan. 5 in the election that will pick two winners, deciding which party will control the Senate. No one knows how they might tip the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
Angry Elephants Damage Car That Hit a Calf
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.