Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Border Agents Can't Touch
Texas' Barbed Wire: Judge
Oct 31, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
Border Agents Can't Touch Texas' Barbed Wire: Judge
Temporary order includes exemption for cases likely to result in serious injury or death
- Texas won a temporary victory over the federal government Monday as a federal judge blocked Border Patrol agents from cutting through the state's barbed wire fence along the Rio Grande, meant to deter migrants from crossing into the US. Texas has spent $11 million to buy more than 70,...
Republican Vote Holds as
Texas Senate Acquits Paxton
Sep 16, 2023 1:37 PM CDT
Republican Vote Holds as Texas Senate Acquits Paxton
GOP House had approved impeachment, but party-line verdict restores attorney general to office
- Republicans in the Texas Senate came to Attorney General Ken Paxton's aid on Saturday, delivering an acquittal of the impeached official on a vote at the Capitol in Austin. Paxton faced 16 articles of impeachment, each of which required 21 votes, a two-thirds majority, for conviction. On every charge,...
Prosecutors Abruptly Rest Case
in Texas AG's Impeachment
Sep 14, 2023 1:39 AM CDT
Prosecutors Abruptly Rest Case in Texas AG's Impeachment
After alleged mistress shows up, does not testify
- The prosecution in Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's impeachment trial rested its case Wednesday in what media outlets are painting as a surprise move that was preceded by another surprise, the appearance—but failure to testify—of the AG's alleged mistress, a central figure in the case . Paxton...
Affair Will Be
Central to Paxton's
Sep 5, 2023 8:24 AM CDT
Affair Will Be Central to Paxton's Impeachment Trial
Texas attorney general allegedly accepted bribes from developer who hired his girlfriend
- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton faces impeachment by the state Senate in a trial that will largely focus on an extramarital affair. As the
reports, the trial beginning Tuesday and expected to last two to three weeks "could air out the sordid details of the staunch, Christian...
Ken Paxton's Wife Breaks
Silence on Impeachment Trial
Jun 22, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Ken Paxton's Wife Breaks Silence on Impeachment Trial
State Sen. Angela Paxton barred from voting
- Texas state Sen. Angela Paxton won't be voting in her husband's impeachment trial. The GOP-controlled state Senate decided Wednesday night to bar her from taking any part in the trial of suspended Attorney General Ken Paxton when it begins Sept. 5, though she is required to attend, the...
FBI Arrests Man Linked to
Impeachment of Texas AG
Jun 9, 2023 4:22 AM CDT
FBI Arrests Man Linked to Impeachment of Texas AG
Real estate developer Nate Paul is at center of Ken Paxton scandal
- The FBI on Thursday arrested a businessman at the center of the scandal that led to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's historic impeachment , a move that came amid new questions about the men’s dealings raised by financial records the Republican's lawyers made public to try to clear...
Abbott Makes His Choice
to Replace Paxton During Trial
May 31, 2023 6:55 PM CDT
Abbott Makes His Choice to Replace Paxton During Trial
John Scott represented Trump for three days
- Gov. Greg Abbott on Wednesday appointed John Scott to temporarily serve as Texas' attorney general after the House of Representatives voted to impeach Ken Paxton over allegations of misconduct and crimes. The historic impeachment triggered Paxton's automatic suspension from office pending the outcome of a trial in the state...
Historic Texas Impeachment
Trial to Start by Aug. 28
May 30, 2023 12:32 AM CDT
Historic Texas Impeachment Trial to Start by Aug. 28
Ken Paxton has been suspended as attorney general pending trial's outcome
- A historic impeachment trial in Texas to determine whether Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton should be permanently removed from office will begin no later than Aug. 28 in the state Senate, where the jury that would determine his future could include his wife, Sen. Angela Paxton, the AP reports. Setting...
Paxton Tweets Trump Praise as
House Debates Impeachment
May 27, 2023 3:35 PM CDT
Paxton Tweets Trump Praise as House Debates Impeachment
Texas House considers sending Ken Paxton to Senate trial
- While the Texas House considered impeaching him on Saturday, Ken Paxton offered counterprograming in his personal Twitter feed. As the hearing began in the state Capitol in Austin, the state attorney general posted screenshots of praise that former President Donald Trump put up on Truth Social,
the New York Times
Panel Sends Texas House
May 25, 2023 6:30 PM CDT
Panel Sends Texas House Impeachment Recommendation
Chamber could vote Friday on removing Ken Paxton
- A legislative committee in Texas has voted unanimously to recommend that state Attorney General Ken Paxton be impeached. The House General Investigating Committee held the vote Thursday after public hearings this week in which investigators presented findings about ways they said Paxton abused the power of his office for years....
Texas GOP Panel Accuses
Attorney General of Crimes
May 24, 2023 5:01 PM CDT
Texas GOP Panel Accuses Attorney General of Crimes
Ken Paxton wants state money to settle whistleblower suit against him
- A Texas House committee aired findings Wednesday that Attorney General Ken Paxton has committed a series of crimes spanning years while in office. The investigation has been in progress for months, though its existence wasn't publicly known until Tuesday, the AP reports. Paxton is a Republican, as are the...
Texas AG Says 'Drunk' State
House Speaker Should Quit
May 23, 2023 7:36 PM CDT
Texas AG Says 'Drunk' State House Speaker Should Quit
Speaker Dade Phelan reveals AG Paxton is being investigated for alleged corruption
- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton called for the resignation of another senior Republican Tuesday, alleging that state House Speaker Dade Phelan had presided over the chamber "in a state of apparent debilitating intoxication." A video clip widely shared over the weekend shows Phelan appearing to slur his words...
Texas AG Must Testify
on Approach to Abortion
Oct 5, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Texas AG Must Testify on Approach to Abortion
Judge finds Ken Paxton failed to disclose repeated requests from plaintiffs
- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton must testify about his enforcement of the state's near-total abortion ban whether or not he got that subpoena left in his driveway as he fled , a court has ruled. A week after the Republican fled his McKinney home to avoid being served, a federal...
Court Doc: Texas AG Fled
While Being Served Subpoena
Sep 27, 2022 9:04 AM CDT
Court Doc: Texas AG Fled While Being Served Subpoena
Process server Ernesto Martin Herrera says Ken Paxton avoided him for hour, then took off with wife
- Even though recipients of a subpoena typically aren't thrilled to be getting one, the delivery of it is still usually a fairly straightforward process. Not so much at the home of Ken Paxton this week, where a process server who had such paperwork says the Texas attorney general tried...
Texas Sues US
Over Abortion Rule
Jul 14, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Texas Sues US Over Abortion Rule
Lawsuit would block requirement that doctors provide access in emergencies
- Three days after the federal government told doctors and hospitals they're still required to provide abortions when a patient's health is at risk—regardless of state laws or US Supreme Court rulings—Texas has sued the administration. Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra told health care providers...
Trump's Clout Faces Big
Test in Georgia Races
May 24, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Trump's Clout Faces Big Test in Georgia Races
It's another primary day
- It's another busy primary Tuesday. Georgia takes center stage as Gov. Brian Kemp and Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger try to fight back challengers endorsed by former President Trump, who's seeking revenge for his 2020 election defeat in the state. An assessment at FiveThirtyEight sees that and other...
White House Slams 'Dangerous'
Move by Texas Governor
Feb 24, 2022 9:20 AM CST
White House Slams 'Dangerous' Move by Texas Governor
Greg Abbott wants gender-transitioning procedures investigated as child abuse
- Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday ordered Texas' child welfare agency to investigate reports of "gender-transitioning procedures" as child abuse, in a move LGBTQ advocates say will strip transgender children of their rights. Legislation to classify gender-affirming medical care as child abuse passed the state Senate but failed to pass...
Bid for Texas AG
Jun 3, 2021 12:06 AM CDT
Bush Launches Bid for Texas AG
He is challenging scandal-plagued Ken Paxton
- George P. Bush on Wednesday launched his next political move: a run for Texas attorney general in 2022 that puts the scion of a Republican dynasty against a GOP incumbent shadowed by securities fraud charges and an FBI investigation. Bush, who has served as Texas' land commissioner since 2015, is...
for Trump Ban
Mar 9, 2021 2:15 PM CST
Twitter Sues, Saying Texas Is Retaliating for Trump Ban
Attorney general launched investigation into tech companies
- Twitter has filed a lawsuit against Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, claiming the Republican used his office to retaliate against it for banning the account of former President Trump following the riot at the US Capitol. Days after the deadly January insurrection, Paxton announced an investigation into Twitter and four...
Ted Cruz Not the Only One
Under Fire for Fleeing Texas
Feb 23, 2021 4:00 AM CST
Ted Cruz Not the Only One Under Fire for Fleeing Texas
AG Ken Paxton and wife state Sen. Angela Paxton went to Utah
- It wasn't just Ted Cruz who escaped his state during Texas' devastating freeze last week. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, along with his wife state Sen. Angela Paxton, left on the same day as Cruz, just not for Cancun. Rather, they traveled to Utah on Wednesday, where the Republican...
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.