Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Guy Running for
Santos' Old Seat
Guilty of Jan. 6 Charges
Dec 8, 2023 2:00 AM CST
Guy Running for Santos' Old Seat Guilty of Jan. 6 Charges
Philip Sean Grillo was filmed smoking weed inside the US Capitol on Jan. 6
- One of the people running to replace George Santos , who just became only the sixth lawmaker to ever be booted from the House of Representatives , has his own controversial past: Philip Sean Grillo was found guilty this week of charges related to his participation in the Jan. 6, 2021, assault...
House Speaker Has One
Big Tweak to Jan. 6 Footage
Dec 6, 2023 10:15 AM CST
House Speaker Has One Big Tweak to Jan. 6 Footage
Mike Johnson says he's blurring out faces of Capitol rioters in videos to prevent 'retaliation'
- Last month, House Speaker Mike Johnson announced he was, as promised, releasing security footage from the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol, assuring Americans they'd be able to "view every minute of the videos uncensored," per CNN . On Tuesday, the Louisiana Republican clarified there would be...
Smith's Team Wants Jury
to See Trump's Tweets
About Other Elections
Dec 5, 2023 4:22 PM CST
Smith's Team Wants Jury to See Trump's Tweets About Other Elections
They say he had a 'common plan of falsely blaming fraud for election results he does not like'
- Special Counsel Jack Smith's team wants jurors in Donald Trump's 2020 election obstruction case to hear the former president's remarks about elections in previous years, including 2012, when he falsely claimed that election machines were switching votes from Mitt Romney to Barack Obama, and 2016, when, before...
Liz Cheney Recounts
4 Words From Her Father
Dec 4, 2023 8:46 AM CST
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
'Defend the republic, daughter,' former VP told her just ahead of the Jan. 6 Capitol riot
- More snippets of Liz Cheney's new memoir are out ahead of its formal release on Tuesday, and the latest from Axios involves her famous father. In
Oath and Honor
, the younger Cheney writes about how she and former Vice President Dick Cheney were at his house on New Year'...
Bad News Part II
for Trump on Legal Front
Dec 2, 2023 7:00 AM CST
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
After decision on claims of presidential immunity in civil case, judge in DC criminal case rules similarly
- An appeals court on Friday rejected former President Donald Trump's request to dismiss a set of civil lawsuits against him due to what he claimed was presidential immunity on things he did and said after the 2020 election. Later that day, Judge Tanya Chutkan similarly rebuffed Trump's claims...
Dec 1, 2023 4:35 PM CST
Olympic Swimmer Sentenced in Capitol Attack
Klete Keller wore his team jacket during Jan. 6 riot
- A former Olympic swimming champion was sentenced to 36 months probation Friday for his role in the attack on the Capitol. "I have no excuse for why I am in front of you today," Klete Keller told the court in Washington, the AP reports. "I understand my...
Pence: Errant Comma in Book
Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Nov 28, 2023 8:11 AM CST
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
ABC News also reports former VP nearly skipped the Jan. 6 certification process
- Mike Pence became public enemy No. 1 to supporters of then-President Trump when he certified the 2020 election results on Jan. 6, 2021. But a report from ABC News suggests the former vice president came close to skipping the proceedings altogether. Days before the certification, Pence wrote in his personal...
Judge Calls Capitol Rioter's
Nov 22, 2023 8:35 AM CST
Judge Calls Capitol Rioter's Defense 'Gobbledygook,' Jury Convicts
Washington state's Taylor James Johnatakis, 39, found guilty of 3 felonies, 4 misdemeanors
- Those who traveled to Washington, DC, to participate in what became the Jan. 6 riot at the US Capitol arrived from all over the country. On Tuesday, Washington state saw one of its own earn a conviction, with a federal jury finding 39-year-old Taylor James Johnatakis of Kingston guilty of...
Jan. 6 Footage
Nov 18, 2023 9:30 AM CST
House Speaker Starts Releasing Jan. 6 Footage
Mike Johnson says he'll eventually post 44K hours' worth of video from the attack on US Capitol
- House Speaker Mike Johnson said Friday he plans to publicly release thousands of hours of footage from the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, making good on a promise he made to far-right members of his party when he was campaigning for the job. "This decision will...
Nov 17, 2023 10:12 AM CST
Trump's Post-Insurrection Interview Airs
He claimed he was prevented from going to Capitol, where he would've been 'very well received'
- An audio clip of former President Trump discussing his plans on Jan. 6, 2021, that aired Thursday on CNN may become valuable evidence for the prosecution in his election interference case, experts say. In an interview with ABC News' chief Washington correspondent Jonathan Karl, recorded two months after the insurrection,...
Is Running for Congress
Nov 13, 2023 1:00 AM CST
'QAnon Shaman' Is Running for Congress
As a libertarian in Arizona
- Jacob Chansley, the man often seen as the face of the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot and who is perhaps more famously known as "QAnon Shaman," promised after being released from prison and a halfway house that he would continue his quest for "truth." Apparently that...
Fugitive Jan. 6 Suspect
Turns Himself In
Nov 10, 2023 11:17 AM CST
Fugitive Jan. 6 Suspect Turns Himself In
Gregory Yetman fled into NJ woods when authorities tried to arrest him Wednesday
- A Jan. 6 Capitol attack suspect who took off into the woods near his New Jersey home when law enforcement officers tried to arrest him Wednesday morning is now in custody after a two-day manhunt. The FBI says Gregory Yetman turned himself in to Monroe Township police without incident on...
Ex-State Department Official
Gets 6 Years in Capitol Riot
Nov 3, 2023 1:33 PM CDT
Ex-State Department Official Gets 6 Years in Capitol Riot
Federico Klein assaulted police officers, according to prosecutors
- A Marine Corps veteran who served as a politically appointed State Department official in former President Trump's administration was sentenced on Friday to nearly six years in prison for attacking police officers during the Capitol riot. Federico Klein joined other Trump supporters in one of the most violent...
Capitol Rioter's Court Hearing
Turns Into Physical Altercation
Oct 30, 2023 2:22 PM CDT
Capitol Rioter's Court Hearing Turns Into Physical Altercation
Vitali GossJankowski resisted federal marshals when a judge ordered him to be detained
- A hearing involving a Capitol rioter on Monday turned into a physical altercation between the defendant and multiple US marshals in a DC courtroom, reports CBS News . The altercation involved Vitali GossJankowski, 34, who was convicted in March of several charges related to the 2021 riot, including assaulting police officers....
Longer Sentences for
Proud Boys Leaders
Oct 17, 2023 7:46 AM CDT
Prosecutors Want Longer Sentences for Proud Boys Leaders
Justice Department is appealing sentences of 5 members, including Enrique Tarrio
- The Justice Department is appealing the length of prison sentences for four Proud Boys leaders convicted of seditious conspiracy in the US Capitol attack and one convicted of lesser charges, challenging punishments that were significantly shorter than what prosecutors had recommended, the AP reports, citing court filings. US District Judge...
Man at Center of
Sep 20, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Man at Center of Conspiracy Theory Pleads Guilty
Merrick Garland had been asked about Ray Epps in a hearing earlier in the day
- The Arizona man named in right-wing conspiracy theories as a government agent who urged Capitol rioters on has pleaded guilty to one count of disorderly conduct on restricted grounds. Ray Epps, who has received death threats, appeared in the DC court on video, per the
, and his lawyer...
Trump Dodges Questions on
His Actions During Capitol Riot
Sep 17, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
Trump Dodges Questions on His Actions During Capitol Riot
Former president tells interviewer he'll consider pardoning Proud Boys leader if elected
- Former President Donald Trump repeatedly declined in an interview aired Sunday to answer questions about whether he watched the Capitol riot unfold on television, saying he would "tell people later at an appropriate time." Trump, the current front-runner for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, refused to say on...
Marine Capitol Rioter
Gets Symbolic Sentence
Sep 12, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Marine Capitol Rioter Gets Symbolic Sentence
An hour of community service for each of 279 Marines who died in the Civil War
- One of three active-duty Marines who stormed the US Capitol together was sentenced on Monday to probation and 279 hours of community service—one hour for every Marine who was killed or wounded fighting in the Civil War, the AP reports. US District Judge Ana Reyes said she can't...
Man ID'd by
Jan. 6 Online
Sep 10, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
FBI Arrests Man ID'd by Jan. 6 Online Investigators
Gregory Mijares, who wore a gas mask, admitted fighting police at Capitol, affidavit says
- An Indiana man who law enforcement officials say helped spark some of the worst violence to take place at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, has been arrested almost two years after online sleuths determined his identity and tipped off the FBI. Court records show Gregory Mijares, 41, was arrested...
Like the Other Proud Boys,
Tarrio Was Contrite in Court
Sep 6, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Like the Other Proud Boys, Tarrio Was Contrite in Court
Though some have appeared to reverse that apologetic behavior later
- Like so many other Proud Boys sentenced before him, Enrique Tarrio, the former leader of the far-right group, seemed apologetic when standing before a judge . In some cases, however, those same apparently contrite people have engaged in some seemingly contradictory behavior afterward. A look:
Per CNN and the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.