Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ginni Thomas Tells Committee
2020 Election Was Stolen
Sep 29, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Ginni Thomas Tells Committee 2020 Election Was Stolen
Clarence Thomas' wife won't say if the two discussed her belief on voting results
- The House committee investigating the attack on the Capitol interviewed Ginni Thomas on Thursday, and was told the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas maintains her belief that the 2020 presidential election was stolen. "She said that," Democratic Chairman Bennie Thompson told CNN afterward, despite a lack...
Accused Capitol Intruder
Is Allowed to Go Hunting
Sep 27, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Accused Capitol Intruder Is Allowed to Go Hunting
Judge lets Jon Mott of Arkansas possess firearms, but only while hunting
- An Arkansas man who is facing trial over the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol has received an unusual break from a federal judge: He is allowed to go hunting. As a condition of his release from prison ahead of trial—he has been out on bond since May 13,...
As Oath Keepers Trial Starts,
a Dicey Defense Strategy
Sep 27, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
As Oath Keepers Trial Starts, a Dicey Defense Strategy
Group leaders, charged with sedition, say they believed they would be following Trump orders
- The highest-profile trial yet out of the Jan. 6 Capitol riot gets underway Tuesday in DC federal court. Stewart Rhodes, founder of the far-right Oath Keepers, and four of his lieutenants are charged with seditious conspiracy—meaning prosecutors say they plotted a violent attack in DC to stop the transfer...
Prominent Capitol Rioter
Found Guilty on 7 Charges
Sep 24, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Prominent Capitol Rioter Found Guilty on 7 Charges
Doug Jensen was one of the first rioters to breach the building
: One of the first rioters to enter the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, has been found guilty on seven federal charges, including five felonies. Doug Jensen, who led a group that chased Capitol Police Officer Eugene Goodman up stairs near the Senate chamber, was arrested two days after the...
Guy Who Donned 'Camp
on Jan. 6 Sentenced
Sep 16, 2022 12:52 AM CDT
Guy Who Donned 'Camp Auschwitz' Sweatshirt on Jan. 6 Sentenced
Robert Keith Packer gets 75 days behind bars
- A Virginia man who stormed the US Capitol while wearing an antisemitic “Camp Auschwitz” sweatshirt over a Nazi-themed shirt was sentenced on Thursday to 75 days of imprisonment, the AP reports. Robert Keith Packer, 57, declined to address US District Judge Carl Nichols before he sentenced him during a...
Ball With DOJ
Sep 15, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
Sources: Mark Meadows Played Ball With DOJ on Subpoena
Ex-chief of staff for Trump's WH reportedly complied with agency's writ regarding Jan. 6 riot
- In June, the Department of Justice announced it was declining to charge Mark Meadows, former President Trump's chief of staff in the White House, with contempt after Meadows stopped cooperating with the House select committee looking into the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol. Now, a new development:...
Trump to Ashli Babbitt's Mom:
'We Can't Let This Happen'
Sep 14, 2022 7:17 AM CDT
Trump to Ashli Babbitt's Mom: 'We Can't Let This Happen'
Call to Micki Witthoeft took place during protest outside DC jail in support of Jan. 6 rioters
- A rally in support of the rioters involved on the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol was held outside a DC prison on Tuesday, and Micki Witthoeft, the mother of Ashli Babbitt —the late 36-year-old Air Force veteran who was fatally gunned down by a Capitol Police officer...
Sep 12, 2022 7:58 AM CDT
GOP Senators Slam Trump's 'Inappropriate' Pardons Remark
Graham, Romney, others blast Jan. 6 comment; Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley thread the needle
- Earlier this month, former President Trump told a conservative radio host that, if he were elected to the Oval Office again, he'd offer "full pardons," along with a public apology to many of those who'd stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6. Turns out a few GOP...
Judge Ousts County Official
From Office Over Jan. 6 Role
Sep 7, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Judge Ousts County Official From Office Over Jan. 6 Role
Cowboys for Trump's Couy Griffin calls ruling a 'total disgrace'
- A New Mexico state district court judge on Tuesday disqualified county commissioner and Cowboys for Trump cofounder Couy Griffin from holding public office for engaging in insurrection at the US Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. The decision by Judge Francis Mathew permanently bars Griffin from federal and local public office,...
Trump Says He Supports
Riot Defendants Financially
Sep 1, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Trump Says He Supports Riot Defendants Financially
Former president says they might receive pardons if he has another term
- Former President Donald Trump said Thursday that he's supporting some of the Jan. 6 defendants financially, and that he might do more for them if he wins another term as president. "We'll be looking very, very seriously at full pardons" for those convicted in the attack on...
Pence Would 'Consider' an
Invite From Jan. 6 Committee
Aug 17, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
Pence Would 'Consider' an Invite From Jan. 6 Committee
Though he said it would be 'unprecedented' for a VP to be summoned
- Former Vice President Mike Pence spoke in New Hampshire on Wednesday, and comments he made on two topics are getting some attention.
On Mar-a-Lago FBI search:
"We can hold the attorney general accountable for the decision he made without attacking the rank-and-file law enforcement personnel at the FBI,"
Mom: Man Who Killed Himself
at DC Barricade Was 'Lost'
Aug 17, 2022 12:34 AM CDT
Mom: Man Who Killed Himself at DC Barricade Was 'Lost'
Man reportedly shot into the air as his car burned
The mother of the man who killed himself after driving into a barricade in Washington, DC, was not in "his right state of mind," his mother tells NBC News . Richard Aaron York, 29, father to a 9-year-old boy, was "a good person," "wonderful" and...
Former Police Officer Gets
87 Months in Capitol Attack
Aug 11, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Former Police Officer Gets 87 Months in Capitol Attack
Thomas Robertson's sentence ties the longest prison term imposed in Jan. 6 cases
: A former Virginia police officer convicted in the attack on the Capitol was sentenced to 87 months in prison on Thursday. Prosecutors told the court Thomas Robertson lied about his actions involving the attack, as well as his military service and his marriage, the
Pentagon Officials' Phones
Were Wiped of Jan. 6 Texts
Aug 3, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Pentagon Officials' Phones Were Wiped of Jan. 6 Texts
Watchdog group demands investigation
- The post-Jan. 6 phone-wiping apparently extended to the Pentagon as well as Homeland Security and the Secret Service , according to court documents. The watchdog group American Oversight says that in response to litigation, the Department of Defense and the Army have confirmed that the phones of officials including former acting...
Capitol Rioter Who Threatened
His Children Gets 7 Years
Aug 1, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Capitol Rioter Who Threatened His Children Gets 7 Years
Judge gives Guy Reffitt the longest term yet, saying he hasn't disavowed his call to political violence
- Calling Guy Reffitt's advocacy of political violence absurd and delusional, a federal judge on Monday imposed the longest sentence yet on a defendant convicted of attacking the US Capitol. US District Judge Dabney Friedrich gave the Texas man a prison sentence of 87 months, the
Capitol Rioter's Sentence
Equals the Longest Yet
Jul 26, 2022 2:44 PM CDT
Capitol Rioter's Sentence Equals the Longest Yet
Mark Ponder gets 63 months for attacking police officers with poles
- A man who attacked police officers with poles during the riot at the US Capitol was sentenced on Tuesday to more than five years in prison, matching the longest term of imprisonment so far among hundreds of Capitol riot prosecutions. Mark Ponder, a 56-year-old resident of Washington, DC, said he...
Luria: Trump Removed More
Key Lines From Jan. 7 Remarks
Jul 25, 2022 1:22 PM CDT
Luria: Trump Removed More Key Lines From Jan. 7 Remarks
One of them called for DoJ to prosecute rioters
- A remark about the election being ove r wasn't the only thing Donald Trump refused to say in a video recorded the day after the Capitol attack. Democratic Rep. Elaine Luria tweeted a video Monday showing that Trump apparently edited prepared remarks to remove a line saying that he...
Jan. 6 Panel's Next Target:
Clarence Thomas' Wife
Jul 25, 2022 5:15 AM CDT
Jan. 6 Panel's Next Target: Clarence Thomas' Wife
If Virginia Thomas won't come willingly, committee will consider a subpoena, says Liz Cheney
- The House Jan. 6 committee wants to talk to Clarence Thomas' wife, and it's hoping she'll come voluntarily. If Virginia "Ginni" Thomas declines to do so, however, a subpoena could be coming her way. Liz Cheney, the panel's vice chair, said on CNN Sunday that following...
Hawley Has Defiant Tweet
Amid Much Mockery
Jul 22, 2022 10:07 AM CDT
Hawley Has Defiant Tweet Amid Much Mockery
Critics are ridiculing his actions on Jan. 6, with Kinzinger dubbing him 'Fistpump McRunpants'
- Thursday's prime-time Jan. 6 hearing put its main focus on the actions of former President Trump . But the other politician getting a
of attention on Friday is GOP Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri. The House panel investigating the Capitol riot showed a now-famous photo of Hawley raising his...
Trump Pushed Back
on Tweeting 'Any Sort
of Mention of Peace'
Jul 21, 2022 10:25 PM CDT
Trump Pushed Back on Tweeting 'Any Sort of Mention of Peace'
Then-POTUS finally agreed to a line from Ivanka about staying 'peaceful'
- Former President Trump was resistant to one word in particular, according to testimony at Thursday night's House Jan. 6 hearing: peace. Former White House deputy press secretary Sarah Matthews testified that as aides tried to convince Trump to condemn the violence at the Capitol on the afternoon of Jan....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tagovailoa Speaks on His Latest Hard Hit
Trump Reacts to NYT Reporter's New Book: She's a 'Creep'
Democrat Wants New Leaders After Stock Ban Stalls
Woman's Mysterious Death Was 'Deliberate and Personal'
Father Attacks Meta After Girl's Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.