Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Offers to Testify
Nov 28, 2023 9:25 AM CST
Hunter Biden Offers to Testify
President's son says he's willing to go in front of the House Oversight Committee next month
- Hunter Biden on Tuesday offered to testify publicly before Congress in response to a subpoena from Republicans investigating nearly every aspect of his business dealings as they pursue an impeachment inquiry into his father, President Biden. The Democratic president's son slammed the inquiry as a "fishing expedition" and...
Biden to Skip UN Climate
Summit for the First Time
Nov 27, 2023 1:15 PM CST
Biden to Skip UN Climate Summit for the First Time
Almost 200 other leaders will gather in Dubai
- President Biden will be skipping the world leaders' summit at the annual United Nations climate change conference for the first time in his presidency. Biden has called climate change the "ultimate threat" to humanity and it's not clear why the president won't be at the summit, though...
Part of Polls
Nov 27, 2023 10:50 AM CST
Only One Part of Polls Should Worry Democrats
It's how Americans view the economy, writes pollster Mileah Kromer
- Like a lot of political observers, Mileah Kromer doesn't think Democrats should be too worried about what Kromer calls "horse race polls" showing Donald Trump ahead of President Biden a year out from the election. But Kromer, who's director of the Sarah T. Hughes Center for Politics...
4-Year-Old Who Endured
'Terrible Trauma' Is Free: Biden
Nov 26, 2023 11:57 AM CST
4-Year-Old Who Endured 'Terrible Trauma' Is Free: Biden
Third group of 17 hostages released by Hamas includes Abigail Edan
- Another 17 hostages have been turned over to the Red Cross by Hamas, and President Biden says a US-Israeli girl whose parents were killed in the Oct. 7 attack on Israel is among them. Abigail Edan, 4, was on the list that included eight other children ages 17 and younger,...
Hostage Deal Will See
Release of 3 Americans
Nov 22, 2023 7:45 AM CST
Hostage Deal Will See Release of 3 Americans
Israel, Hamas agree to 4-day pause in fighting, which could be extended
- Both Israel and Hamas have agreed to a humanitarian ceasefire that will see the release of at least 50 hostages taken by Hamas in the Oct. 7 attack that triggered the deadliest conflict in history between the two enemies. It's believed hostages will be released in groups of 10...
Taylor Swift Shoutout
Nov 20, 2023 3:26 PM CST
Biden Misdirects Taylor Swift Shoutout
President refers to 'Britney's tour' in Brazil
- Despite her near-total name recognition, Taylor Swift was confused for Britney Spears at the White House on Monday. The slip came when President Biden made a pop culture reference during a ceremony to pardon two turkeys on the South Lawn, NBC News reports. The president was saying that Liberty and...
Biden's Birthday Keeps
His Age in the Spotlight
Nov 20, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Biden's Birthday Keeps His Age in the Spotlight
President turns 81 on Monday, with conversation continuing on whether he's too old to run
- It's set to be a busy day at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. on Monday, with a trio of noteworthy events taking place: the annual pre-Thanksgiving pardoning of turkeys, the delivery of the White House's Christmas tree, and the 81st birthday of President Biden, already the oldest president in America'...
Good News for Biden
in Classified Docs Probe
Nov 17, 2023 9:53 AM CST
Good News for Biden in Classified Docs Probe
President not expected to face charges, though he may get a tongue-lashing
- President Biden will face "harsh criticism" but no criminal charges over his handling of classified documents, according to a
Wall Street Journal
report. It meshes with CNN 's reporting that, following a year-long investigation, special counsel Robert Hur will issue a report "expected to be critical of...
5 Months After Biden's
'Dictator' Remark, a Repeat
Nov 16, 2023 6:16 AM CST
5 Months After Biden's 'Dictator' Remark, a Repeat
After California summit, president says China's Xi Jinping still is one, but that they 'made progress'
- President Biden and Xi Jinping spent four hours together Wednesday, emerging from their working lunch and other meetings with "modest agreements" on everything from combating fentanyl to reestablishing military communications. Post-summit, however, Biden made a remark about his Chinese counterpart that's "likely to land with a thud...
What Came Out of
the Biden-Xi Summit
Nov 16, 2023 1:00 AM CST
What Came Out of the Biden-Xi Summit
Modest agreements on fentanyl, military communications were made
- US President Biden and China's Xi Jinping emerged Wednesday from their first face-to-face meeting in a year vowing to stabilize their fraught relationship and showcasing modest agreements to combat illegal fentanyl and re-establish military communications. But there were still deep differences on economic competition and global security threats, the...
China's Xi: 'Planet Earth
Is Big Enough' for Us Both
Nov 15, 2023 3:51 PM CST
China's Xi: 'Planet Earth Is Big Enough' for Us Both
Biden, Chinese leader begin face-to-face summit in San Francisco
- President Biden and China's Xi Jinping have begun their first face-to-face meeting in a year, and their early remarks suggest that both leaders are putting a priority on lowering tensions between the two superpowers.
"Planet Earth is big enough for the two countries to succeed," Xi
Humanity Is Facing
'the Ultimate Threat'
Nov 15, 2023 8:09 AM CST
Humanity Is Facing 'the Ultimate Threat'
National Climate Assessment shows need for 'transformative' change to reduce emissions
- US greenhouse-gas emissions fell less than 1% per year on average from 2005 to 2019, a trend that is not going to cut it, according to the Fifth National Climate Assessment and first since 2018. Emissions need to decline more than 6% per year on average to prevent global warming...
Xi Might Need This Summit
More Than Biden
Nov 14, 2023 12:00 PM CST
Xi Might Need This Summit More Than Biden
US, Chinese leaders meet Wednesday in San Francisco
- President Biden meets with China's Xi Jinping Wednesday in San Francisco, and the
New York Times
reports that Beijing appears to have abruptly shifted its public tone about America to be much warmer. The state-run Xinhua news agency ran a long story Monday detailing the "enduring strength" of...
Biden Lauds 'Chain of Honor'
Nov 11, 2023 4:20 PM CST
Biden Lauds 'Chain of Honor'
President praises troops, families at Arlington ceremony
- President Biden said America's veterans are "the steel spine of this nation" as he marked Veterans Day during a visit Saturday to Arlington National Cemetery, the AP reports. In remarks at the Memorial Amphitheater, the commander in chief recounted famous battles fought by US troops and said those...
Ocasio-Cortez, Greene Agree
on Prosecution of Assange
Nov 11, 2023 2:50 PM CST
Ocasio-Cortez, Greene Agree on Prosecution of Assange
16 lawmakers call for administration to drop extradition efforts
- Julian Assange has found bipartisan support in Congress, though his backers don't span their parties, the Hill reports. Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, and their frequent allies are among the 16 lawmakers, "as members of Congress deeply committed to the principles of free speech...
Biden, Xi Jinping Will Meet
Next Week in California
Nov 10, 2023 7:54 AM CST
Biden, Xi Jinping Will Meet Next Week in California
Leaders to meet Wednesday on the sidelines of summit in San Francisco
- President Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping will meet Wednesday in California in the first engagement between the leaders of the world's two biggest economies in nearly a year, Biden administration officials said. The White House has said for weeks that it anticipated Biden and Xi would meet on...
Big Wins Give Democrats
a 'Blueprint' for 2024
Nov 8, 2023 6:49 AM CST
Big Wins Give Democrats a 'Blueprint' for 2024
Voters back abortion access, appear wary of Trump-backed candidates
- Nearly a year and a half after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, abortion remains a key issue in elections across the country—to the benefit of Democrats, who've made protecting abortion rights a priority. A major takeaway from Tuesday's elections is that "voters are casting...
Poll Shows Trump Leading
Biden in Decisive States
Nov 5, 2023 4:50 PM CST
Poll Shows Trump Leading Biden in Decisive States
Voters in battlegrounds suggest they're switching sides this time
- Donald Trump leads Joe Biden in five of the six swing states that figure to be critical to winning the 2024 presidential election, a new poll shows, with voters expressing concern or unhappiness over the president's age and job performance. At the same time, the
New York Times
In Maine, Biden Mourns
'18 Precious Souls'
Nov 3, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
In Maine, Biden Mourns '18 Precious Souls'
President doesn't mention gun control but calls for measures to end the violence
- Outside a Maine bowling alley where a gunman opened fire last month, President Biden on Friday mourned " 18 precious souls stolen" in the mass shooting. The attacks at Just-In-Time Recreation and Schemengees Bar and Grille in Lewiston on the same night were the deadliest of the year so far,...
Line of Attack
on Biden May
Have a Problem
Oct 31, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Trump's Favorite Line of Attack on Biden May Have a Problem
Ex-president is making fair share of public blunders; critics like DeSantis are calling him out
- One of former President Trump's favorite campaign themes is that 80-year-old President Biden is too old and prone to gaffes to win reelection. But a new theme in coverage of the 2024 election is that Trump, who's 77, is undercutting his argument by making quite a few public...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.