Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
to End on May 11
Jan 30, 2023 5:55 PM CST
COVID Emergencies to End on May 11
Patients will have to pay more drug, treatment costs
- President Biden informed Congress on Monday that he will end the twin national emergencies for addressing COVID-19 on May 11, as most of the world has returned closer to normalcy nearly three years after they were first declared. The move to end the national emergency and public health emergency declarations...
Tyre Nichols' Parents,
Monterey Park Hero
Invited to SOTU
Jan 30, 2023 3:31 PM CST
Tyre Nichols' Parents, Monterey Park Hero Invited to SOTU
Biden will deliver his second SOTU address next Tuesday
- President Biden will deliver his second State of the Union Address next Tuesday and the guests will include the parents of Tyre Nichols, the Memphis man who died days after he was brutally beaten by police. Democratic Rep. Steven Horsford, chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, said Sunday that Nichols'...
There Will Be
Jan 29, 2023 5:00 PM CST
There Will Be No Default, McCarthy Says
Like Biden, speaker says he won't back cuts to Social Security, Medicare
- Saying he'll meet with President Biden on Wednesday, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy on Sunday discounted the chances of the US defaulting on its debt. The two will look for a "reasonable and responsible" way to lift the debt ceiling and cut spending, McCarthy said on CBS'
Ahead of Release
of Tyre Nichols Video
Jan 27, 2023 7:31 AM CST
Biden Speaks Ahead of Release of Tyre Nichols Video
Biden urges calm ahead of footage being made public that shows cops beating man during traffic stop
- Friday evening is likely to be a tense one in Memphis, Tennessee, as authorities are set to release video that shows the violent arrest of Tyre Nichols , a 29-year-old Black man who died three days after the Jan. 7 confrontation during a traffic stop. Police have said Nichols experienced shortness...
Democrats May Have to
Deal With GOP on Debt Ceiling
Jan 23, 2023 7:05 PM CST
Democrats May Have to Deal With GOP on Debt Ceiling
Manchin says he has no interest in going with Republicans on Social Security cut
- The White House hasn't budged on negotiating with congressional Republicans over the debt ceiling—it's a "no"—but political professionals in both parties suggest talks will take place anyway. "Like the president has said many times, raising the debt ceiling is not a negotiation; it...
Chief of Staff
Jan 22, 2023 2:20 PM CST
Biden Picks Consultant as Chief of Staff
Jeff Zients led White House pandemic response
- President Biden has decided to enlist a management consultant as his next chief of staff. Jeff Zients will succeed Ron Klain , who is in his final weeks in the job, the
reports. Zients led the administration's pandemic response until April, including the vaccination campaign. Last fall, he...
Chief of Staff
Jan 22, 2023 6:05 AM CST
Biden Will Need a New Chief of Staff
Ron Klain is leaving, a rare high-level departure in the current White House
- White House chief of staff Ron Klain, who has spent more than two years as President Biden's top aide, is preparing to leave his job in the coming weeks, per the AP . The personnel change is a rarity for an administration that has had minimal turnover so far—no...
Search Finds More Documents
at Biden's Wilmington Home
Jan 21, 2023 7:02 PM CST
Search Finds More Documents at Biden's Wilmington Home
Half-dozen papers marked classified are removed in 13-hour hunt in Wilmington
- A more extensive search of President Biden's Wilmington home, conducted after Department of Justice investigators received full access to the Delaware house, uncovered additional classified documents, the president's personal lawyer said Saturday night. Six documents with classified designations were removed, some of which dated to Biden's tenure...
No There There'
on Classified Docs
Jan 20, 2023 12:14 AM CST
Biden: 'There's No There There' on Classified Docs
President discusses controversy publicly for first time
- President Biden on Thursday addressed the classified documents probe centered on him , and he didn't sound too concerned. "I think you’re going to find there’s nothing there. I have no regrets, I’m following what the lawyers have told me they want me to do. That’...
Jan 17, 2023 2:38 PM CST
Biden's Lawyers Accused of Worsening His Classified Mess
It leaves the impression White House hasn't been candid, writes columnist Jennifer Rubin
- The controversy over the discovery of classified documents at President Biden's residence and at an old office continues to percolate. Even as the White House accuses Republicans of misconstruing the facts and having "no credibility" on the issue, the president's legal team is coming under heavy criticism...
Colbert, Fallon Mock Biden's
Happy Birthday Gaffe
Jan 17, 2023 1:48 PM CST
Colbert, Fallon Mock Biden's Happy Birthday Gaffe
'First rule: Don’t start singing Happy Birthday unless you know the person’s name'
- President Biden appeared to forget the name of Martin Luther King Jr.'s daughter-in-law when he tried to sing Happy Birthday to her during an event Monday—and that's not the kind of gaffe that goes unnoticed by late-night hosts. In a speech to the National Action Network'...
White House: Visitor Logs
for Biden Home Don't Exist
Jan 16, 2023 4:04 PM CST
White House: Visitor Logs for Biden Home Don't Exist
Delaware home is a private residence, White House counsel says
- House Republicans are demanding visitor logs from President Biden's Delaware home, but the White House says it isn't going to provide them because they don't exist. "Like every President across decades of modern history, his personal residence is personal," the White House counsel's office...
Imprisoned in Iran,
He Has Message
Jan 16, 2023 7:49 AM CST
Imprisoned in Iran, He Has Message for Biden
American Siamak Namazi slams Biden, Trump, Obama for failing to secure his release since 2015
- Three Americans have been wrongfully detained in Iran for years, and one of them is now taking desperate measures to gain President Biden's attention. CNN reports that Siamak Namazi, an Iranian-American oil executive who was taken into custody during a visit to Tehran in late 2015, has embarked on...
Schiff on Biden's
We Can't Rule Out
National Security Risk
Jan 16, 2023 2:33 AM CST
Schiff on Biden's Classified Docs: We Can't Rule Out National Security Risk
He says special counsel appointment was the right move
- Adam Schiff, the Democrat congressman who served on the House of Representatives' January 6 panel, on Sunday seemed to concede that President Biden's handling of classified documents could have put the country at risk, Fox News reports. Appearing on ABC's
, Schiff responded to the question of...
At King's Church, Biden
Preaches His Message
Jan 15, 2023 5:10 PM CST
At King's Church, Biden Preaches His Message
The fight for the nation's soul is constant, president tells congregation
- On what would have been the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s 94th birthday, President Biden took to the pulpit at the civil rights leader's church and said the country is at an "inflection point." The dream King spoke about at the National Mall 60 years...
Six Classified Pages Were
Found This Week: White House
Jan 14, 2023 1:35 PM CST
Six Classified Pages Were Found This Week: White House
Biden's lawyers release details about latest discovery in Delaware house
- White House officials said Saturday that a total of six pages of classified documents were discovered this week in President Biden's house in Delaware. Five were found hours after they acknowledged Thursday that one page had been spotted in a room off the garage , aides said. Richard Sauber, a...
Now Biden Is the Focus
of a Special Counsel
Jan 12, 2023 12:38 PM CST
Now Biden Is the Focus of a Special Counsel
Attorney general makes move after more improperly stored classified documents were found
- Attorney General Merrick Garland on Thursday appointed a special counsel to investigate the presence of documents with classified markings found at President Biden’s home in Wilmington, Delaware, and at an office in Washington . The announcement followed Biden's acknowledgement Thursday morning that a document with classified markings from his...
in Biden's Garage
Jan 12, 2023 12:15 PM CST
Classified Documents Were Found in Biden's Garage
'It’s not like it’s sitting out on the street,' says the president when pressed
- It turns out the latest batch of out-of-place classified documents tied to President Biden were found in his garage. The president's lawyers searched Biden's two Delaware homes following the discovery of classified documents at an office Biden kept in Washington and discovered "a small number of additional...
House GOPer Sends Letter
to Yellen on Hunter Biden
Jan 12, 2023 10:40 AM CST
House GOPer Sends Letter to Yellen on Hunter Biden
Republicans have started their probe into president's son, as well as into Joe Biden's finances
- In October, federal agents announced they'd gathered enough evidence to justify charging Hunter Biden with crimes. Now, House Republicans have jump-started their long-desired investigation of the president's son, as well as the involvement of ex-Twitter employees in handling reporting on him. Per the Hill , a letter sent Wednesday...
In Another Spot, Biden Aides
Find More Classified Docs
Jan 11, 2023 4:09 PM CST
In Another Spot, Biden Aides Find More Classified Docs
Search began after first batch was found in November
- Aides to President Biden have found more out-of-place classified documents, somewhere other than the office where the first batch was discovered. They've been looking for such files since documents were spotted in November in an office Biden once kept at the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
She Cooked and Ate a Great White. Now, a Hefty Fine
TikTok Trend Leads to More Bad News for Kia, Hyundai Owners
CEO Sorry for 'All Time Classic Bad' Layoff Memo
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.