Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Reversal, Cap for Black
Swimmers Is Approved
Sep 2, 2022 1:52 PM CDT
In Reversal, Cap for Black Swimmers Is Approved
FINA says the Soul Cap is OK after all
It's a victory for Black swimmers. FINA, aka the International Swimming Federation, has reversed its decision and now says a swimming cap designed specifically for natural Black hair can be worn at the Olympics and other top-level competitions, reports the BBC . The sport's governing body previously declared...
I Should Have
Sep 28, 2021 2:00 AM CDT
Simone Biles: I Should Have Quit Before Olympics
Gymnast talks to 'The Cut'
- In an extensive profile at The Cut , Simone Biles says she should not have competed in the Tokyo Olympics—but that she refused to let abusive team doctor Larry Nassar have that impact on her. "If you looked at everything I’ve gone through for the past seven years,...
Won Gold Thanks
Got Him to the Race
Aug 12, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
Hurdler Who Won Gold Thanks Volunteer Who Got Him to the Race
Hansle Parchment almost missed his chance at Olympic medal after he went to wrong venue
- If your mother always told you give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport, or to your Olympic 110-meter hurdling competition, we hope you've listened. Hansle Parchment will likely leave the house way early from now on, after the Jamaican hurdler almost missed his chance to compete...
IOC Says It's Replacing
Medal Munched by Mayor
Aug 12, 2021 7:27 AM CDT
IOC Says It's Replacing Medal Munched by Mayor
Nagoya mayor apologizes for biting softball pitcher Miu Goto's medal
- An Olympic athlete in Japan is getting a new gold medal to replace one that a mayor decided to chomp on during a ceremony last week. Tokyo 2020 organizers say they will give softball pitcher Miu Goto a new medal to replace the one Nagoya Mayor Takashi Kawamure bit into...
Unconscious Iranian Wins
Karate Gold at Olympics
Aug 8, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Unconscious Iranian Wins Karate Gold at Olympics
Opponent was disqualified for kick to the neck
- Iran’s Sajad Ganjzadeh won the Olympic gold medal in men’s over-75 kilogram karate after final opponent Tareg Hamedi was disqualified for kicking Ganjzadeh hard in the upper body or head, per the AP . It happened in the final bout of karate's Olympic debut in Japan when...
Newest Olympic Medalist
Has a Famous Dad
Aug 7, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Newest Olympic Medalist Has a Famous Dad
Jessica Springsteen, daughter of Bruce, and US equestrian team take home the silver
- The Springsteen family has gone platinum many times over. Time to make space for a little silver, too. Jessica Springsteen and the US equestrian jumping team came up just short of Olympic gold, falling to Sweden in a jump-off Saturday night that still left the Americans with a record 10th...
After a Shaky
Gold for Men's
Aug 7, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
After a Shaky Start, Another Gold for Men's Basketball
Kevin Durant helps lead Team USA to 87-82 win over France, team's 4th straight Olympic win
- Nothing about the summer was easy for the US men's basketball team, and neither was the gold-medal game. The Americans expected nothing less. And in the end, their Olympic reign lives on. Kevin Durant scored 29 points and joined Carmelo Anthony as the only three-time men's gold medalists...
US Women Win
Beach Volleyball Gold
Aug 6, 2021 4:45 AM CDT
US Women Win Beach Volleyball Gold
While indoor volleyball team avenges 2016 loss to Serbia
- Americans April Ross and Alix Klineman have won the women’s beach volleyball gold medal. The US pair beat Mariafe Artacho del Solar and Taliqua Clancy of Australia 21-15, 21-16 for the championship on Friday. It’s Ross’ third medal in as many Olympics, to go with the silver she...
IOC Asks 2 Belarus Coaches
to Leave Olympics Immediately
Aug 6, 2021 2:45 AM CDT
IOC Asks 2 Belarus Coaches to Leave Olympics Immediately
IOC says they tried to force sprinter to board plane back to country
- Two Belarus team coaches have been removed from the Olympics, four days after they were involved in trying to send sprinter Krystsina Tsimanouskaya back to their country. The International Olympic Committee said Friday it has canceled and removed the credentials of Artur Shimak and Yury Maisevich, the AP reports. "...
His Medal Marks
a Rare Feat for
Aug 5, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
His Medal Marks a Rare Feat for US Olympians
Eddy Alvarez is only the third to medal in Summer and Winter Games
- Earning a medal at either the Summer or Winter Olympics is an impressive feat. Winning a medal at both? Exceedingly rare. Eddy Alvarez became only the third American to do so Thursday when the US baseball team beat South Korea to gain a berth in this weekend's gold medal...
After Relay Fail, a Big Name
Dresses Down Men's Team
Aug 5, 2021 8:39 AM CDT
After Relay Fail, a Big Name Dresses Down Men's Team
Olympic gold medalist Carl Lewis calls 4x100m race in Tokyo a 'clown show,' 'total embarrassment'
- The US men's relay team was already disappointed they came in sixth in a preliminary 4x100m heat Thursday in Tokyo, losing their chance to take a spot in the finals. Making things worse: a scathing critique from track and field star Carl Lewis, who said online that the team...
US Women Win Bronze in
Swan Song for Major Stars
Aug 5, 2021 7:19 AM CDT
US Women Win Bronze in Swan Song for Major Stars
Carli Lloyd, Megan Rapinoe scored 2 each in 4-3 win over Australia
- It's been a disappointing Olympics for the US women's soccer team, which won gold in 1996, 2004, 2008, and 2012—but they won't be going home empty-handed. Team USA survived a dramatic late comeback from Australia on Thursday and took the bronze medal with a 4-3 victory,...
Belarus Sprinter Is
Latest in a Long Line
of Olympic Defectors
Aug 4, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
Belarus Sprinter Is Latest in a Long Line of Olympic Defectors
Dozens of Hungarians defected in 1956 after Soviet tanks rolled into Budapest
- Belarus sprinter Krystsina Tsimanouskaya is now officially a political exile—and the latest in a long line of Olympic defectors, many of them from authoritarian regimes in Eastern Europe. Unlike many of her predecessors, Tsimanouskaya didn't travel to the Olympics planning to defect, the AP reports. The 24-year-old, who...
Australian Football, Rugby
Olympians Partied Too Hard
Aug 4, 2021 3:14 PM CDT
Australian Football, Rugby Olympians Partied Too Hard
Australia Olympic Committee fielding complaints about rowdy flight, damaged rooms
- Imagine the party that would ensue if the Australian Olympic soccer and rugby teams spent 10 hours locked in a room together. Now imagine that room is actually an airplane from Tokyo to Sydney and you’re just trying to get some sleep. Australian Olympians were already in hot water...
Say Sumo Statue
Is Spooking Horses
Aug 4, 2021 1:06 PM CDT
Olympic Riders Say Sumo Statue Is Spooking Horses
Life-size statue is next to obstacle No. 10
- Equestrian jumpers aren't keen on surprises. Neither are the horses, and it takes years of training to keep them from getting spooked. But no horse in Tuesday night's Olympic jumping qualifier had ever seen anything like obstacle No. 10. "As you come around, you see a big...
Runner Shares Her Victories,
Gets Blocked on Instagram
Aug 4, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
Runner Shares Her Victories, Gets Blocked on Instagram
Elaine Thompson-Herah ran into copyright issues
- Elaine Thompson-Herah took gold in the 100m and 200m races, but her attempts to share the victorious runs on Instagram ended up getting her temporarily blocked from the platform. The Jamaican sprinter ran afoul of copyright rules, with the International Olympic Committee telling Reuters , "Rights Holding Broadcasters (RHBs) have...
Fleeing the Games, Sprinter
Made a Last-Minute Switch
Aug 4, 2021 7:39 AM CDT
Fleeing the Games, Sprinter Made a Last-Minute Switch
Wary of security, Belarus sprinter changed flight plans from Warsaw to Vienna at last minute
- Change of travel plans for Krystsina Tsimanouskaya—she's headed to Vienna instead of Warsaw, at least initially. The
reports on the continuing drama swirling around the 24-year-old Olympic sprinter, who boarded a plane bound for Poland on Wednesday, less than three days after Belarus authorities took her...
Both Beat the World Record,
but Only One Could Win Gold
Aug 4, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Both Beat the World Record, but Only One Could Win Gold
Sydney McLaughlin of the US wins Olympics' 400-meter hurdles event
- Sydney McLaughlin broke the world record. Dalilah Muhammad broke it, too. Only one of the world's best hurdlers could win the Olympic gold medal—and McLaughlin came out ahead in the latest installment of the best rivalry in track, the AP reports. The 21-year-old out of East Orange, NJ,...
IOC Is Looking Into
Mao Pins Worn by
Aug 3, 2021 7:34 PM CDT
IOC Is Looking Into Mao Pins Worn by Chinese Athletes
They may have violated Rule 50
- The image of Communist China's founding leader, Mao Zedong, made an unscheduled appearance at the Tokyo Olympics, and the International Olympic Committee said Tuesday it is "looking into the matter.” The gesture—Mao pin badges worn by two Chinese gold medalists at their medal ceremony—risks being...
This Guy Just
Won 'One of
the Best Races
Aug 3, 2021 8:17 AM CDT
This Guy Just Won 'One of the Best Races Ever Run'
Norway's Warholm wins gold, breaks own world record at 400m hurdle event where all impressed
- When brash Norwegian hurdler Karsten Warholm led the field to the starting line on a steamy afternoon at Olympic Stadium, he and his seven opponents had every reason to expect they'd be part of something special. It turned out to be more than that. This gathering of the world'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.