Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ex-Officer Kim Potter
Released From Prison
Apr 24, 2023 8:47 AM CDT
Ex-Officer Kim Potter Released From Prison
Former Minneapolis cop says she shot Daunte Wright after mistaking handgun for Taser
- Ex-cop Kim Potter has been released from a prison in Minnesota, reports the AP . The state corrections department announced that Potter was freed about 4am Monday, the timing of her release having been kept under wraps "out of an abundance of caution." Potter, who is white, fatally shot...
This Prison Photo Angered
Family of Daunte Wright
Feb 18, 2022 2:12 PM CST
This Prison Photo Angered Family of Daunte Wright
It came up during the sentencing hearing of Kim Potter
- Kim Potter is going to prison for killing Daunte Wright , but for nowhere near as long as his family hoped. "The justice system murdered him all over again," said Katie Wright on Friday outside Hennepin County Court in Minneapolis, reports NBC News . She spoke after Potter, a former...
Ex-Cop Kim Potter
Gets 2 Years in Prison
Feb 18, 2022 11:14 AM CST
Ex-Cop Kim Potter Gets 2 Years in Prison
Former suburban Minnesota cop fired her gun instead of her Taser at Daunte Wright
A judge on Friday sentenced former suburban Minnesota police officer Kim Potter to two years in prison for the death of a 20-year-old Black motorist at a traffic stop, reports the AP . Potter said she mistook her gun for her Taser in the death of Daunte Wright . Potter was...
Former Officer Kim Potter
Guilty of Manslaughter
Dec 23, 2021 1:43 PM CST
Former Officer Kim Potter Guilty of Manslaughter
She fatally shot Daunte Wright, faces about 7 years in prison on most serious count
- Jurors on Thursday convicted a suburban Minneapolis police officer of two manslaughter charges in the killing of Daunte Wright, a Black motorist she shot during a traffic stop after she said she confused her gun for her Taser, per the AP . The mostly white jury deliberated for about four days...
Before Shooting, Potter
Testifies, 'It Just Went Chaotic'
Dec 17, 2021 5:15 PM CST
Before Shooting, Potter Testifies, 'It Just Went Chaotic'
Former police officer recounts moments leading up to Daunte Wright's death
- Kim Potter testified in her own defense on Friday, recounting how a Minnesota traffic stop turned into the shooting death of Daunte Wright. Potter was a police officer for Brooklyn Center, a suburb of Minneapolis, when she and another officer pulled Wright over in April. While being held by officers,...
Prosecutor: Kim Potter
'Failed' Daunte Wright
Dec 9, 2021 4:22 AM CST
Prosecutor: Kim Potter 'Failed' Daunte Wright
Manslaughter trial began Wednesday
- A suburban Minneapolis police officer who said she mistakenly drew her gun instead of her Taser when she fatally shot Black motorist Daunte Wright went on trial on manslaughter charges Wednesday, with a prosecutor saying Kim Potter had been trained how to avoid such deadly mix-ups but still got it...
Mostly White Jury Seated
in Daunte Wright Trial
Dec 3, 2021 3:45 PM CST
Mostly White Jury Seated in Daunte Wright Trial
White police officer said she meant to fire her Taser, not her handgun
- A predominantly white jury was seated Friday for the trial of a white suburban Minneapolis police officer who said she drew her handgun by mistake—intending to use her Taser—when she fatally shot Black motorist Daunte Wright following a traffic stop. Nine of the first 12 jurors seated for...
Trial Date Set for Ex-Cop
Who Shot Daunte Wright
May 18, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Trial Date Set for Ex-Cop Who Shot Daunte Wright
Kim Potter's trial for second-degree manslaughter to begin Dec. 6
- A Minnesota judge has found probable cause to support the second-degree manslaughter charge against former Brooklyn Center police officer Kim Potter, who's accused of fatally shooting Daunte Wright during an April 11 traffic stop , setting the stage for a December trial. "I think it's to the benefit...
Families of Others Killed
by Police Mourn Wright
Apr 22, 2021 6:35 PM CDT
Families of Others Killed by Police Mourn Wright
Relatives of George Floyd join political and civil rights leaders at funeral
- Minnesota politicians, national civil rights leaders, and heartbroken family members mourned Daunte Wright at his funeral Thursday, supported by relatives of other people who have died in police violence. Ben Crump, a lawyer for Wright's family, led a call and response with the mourners, who echoed, "Daunte Wright'...
City Prepares for Protests
By Guarding Potter's House
Apr 19, 2021 4:45 PM CDT
City Prepares for Protests By Guarding Potter's House
Fencing cost more than $9K, Champlin says, and officers are stationed there
- The Minnesota house of Kim Potter, the police officer who shot Daunte Wright, has fencing around it, barricades out front, and officers standing guard. The perimeter security cost the city of Champlin more than $9,000, said spokeswoman Ashley Wagner. "Should a source become available," she said the...
Greene's Hit at Maxine Waters:
'Incitement of Violence'
Apr 19, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
Greene's Hit at Maxine Waters: 'Incitement of Violence'
GOP congresswoman says she'll try to get Dem colleague expelled
- If anyone knows what it feels like to have colleagues try to remove you from your job, it's Marjorie Taylor Greene, the GOP congresswoman from Georgia who's had her committee roles stripped away and even had a resolution filed against her to expel her from the House. That...
Guardsmen With Minor Injuries
Apr 18, 2021 1:10 PM CDT
Shooting Leaves Guardsmen With Minor Injuries
Shots came from SUV, Minnesota Guard reports
- Two National Guardsmen suffered minor injuries early Sunday when they were fired upon as they provided neighborhood security in Minneapolis following the police killing of a 20-year-old Black man in a nearby suburb, authorities said. The Minnesota Guard said the men were hurt when several shots came from a light-colored...
Journalists Say Police Ignore
Judge's Order at Protests
Apr 17, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Journalists Say Police Ignore Judge's Order at Protests
Photographer reports being beaten by officers
- Some journalists covering protests over the police fatal shooting of Daunte Wright, a 20-year-old Black man, in suburban Minneapolis say officers have harassed and assaulted them despite a federal order to leave them alone. US District Judge Wilhelmina Wright issued a temporary restraining order Friday prohibiting police at the protests...
With Potter in Court, Wright's
Mother Considers Justice
Apr 15, 2021 5:40 PM CDT
With Potter in Court, Wright's Mother Considers Justice
Family's lawyer says seeing an officer charged is progress
- The former Minnesota police officer charged in the shooting death of Daunte Wright made her first appearance in court Thursday. Kim Potter said little in the five-minute hearing, just an occasional "yes" in response to questions from the judge, KARE reports. She's charged with second-degree manslaughter in the...
Kim Potter to Be Charged
in Killing of Daunte Wright
Apr 14, 2021 11:38 AM CDT
Kim Potter to Be Charged in Killing of Daunte Wright
She'll be charged with second-degree manslaughter
- Former Brooklyn Center police officer Kim Potter will be charged with second-degree manslaughter in the death of Daunte Wright, whom she shot and killed during a Sunday traffic stop. Washington County Attorney Pete Orput made the announcement on Wednesday; Wright's death has been classified as a homicide. The AP...
George Floyd's Girlfriend
Has Link to Daunte Wright
Apr 14, 2021 7:53 AM CDT
George Floyd's Girlfriend Has Link to Daunte Wright
Courteney Ross was a dean at a high school he attended
- Daunte Wright was shot dead roughly 11 miles from where George Floyd was killed, per
. That's not the only connection the two men share. The
reports that a more personal link has emerged: It turns out Floyd's former girlfriend, Courteney Ross , was a dean at...
It Was a Training Day When
Daunte Wright Was Killed
Apr 14, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
It Was a Training Day When Daunte Wright Was Killed
Decision on whether to charge Kim Potter expected Wednesday
- The former Minnesota police officer who fatally shot Daunte Wright on Sunday was running a training shift at the time. Kim Potter, who resigned Tuesday from the Brooklyn Center Police Department, had been with the force for 26 years and was training a less experienced officer, the
New York Times
Cop in Daunte Wright Shooting
Resigns, as Does Police Chief
Apr 13, 2021 1:26 PM CDT
Cop in Daunte Wright Shooting Resigns, as Does Police Chief
Kim Potter, a 26-year veteran, and chief Tim Gannon are out after Daunte Wright shooting
- The veteran officer who fatally shot 20-year-old Daunte Wright during a traffic stop in Minnesota has resigned from the force, reports the
Minneapolis Star Tribune
. Brooklyn City Police Chief Tim Gannon also resigned on Tuesday, per ABC News . "Whenever, through the line of duty, someone kills another human being,...
'Slip and Capture' Theory
May Explain Gun-Taser Mix-Up
Apr 13, 2021 1:05 PM CDT
'Slip and Capture' Theory May Explain Gun-Taser Mix-Up
Nation has seen at least 11 cases in which the explanation has been used since 1999
- Police in Minnesota say the shooting of Daunte Wright happened because Officer Kim Potter mistakenly fired her gun instead of her Taser . Various outlets are digging into the subject, with the same general conclusion: The phenomenon is real, though it's rare. Coverage:
Minneapolis Star Tribune
Protests Continue After
Police Say Cop Meant
to Grab Taser, Not Gun
Apr 13, 2021 1:03 AM CDT
Protests Continue After Police Say Cop Meant to Grab Taser, Not Gun
The officer who fatally shot Daunte Wright is a 26-year veteran of the force
- Protests in Brooklyn Center, Minn., continued for a second night Monday after the police chief said the officer who fatally shot Daunte Wright during a traffic stop Sunday appeared to mistake her gun for her Taser . Gov. Tim Walz established a dusk-to-dawn curfew, after which hundreds of protesters were still...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.