Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Ketanji Brown Jackson
Stories 1 - 20 |
No. 116 Makes History
Jun 30, 2022 12:13 PM CDT
No. 116 Makes History
Ketanji Brown Jackson is sworn in, the first Black woman on the Supreme Court
- Ketanji Brown Jackson was sworn in to the Supreme Court on Thursday, shattering a glass ceiling as the first Black woman on the nation’s highest court. The 51-year-old Jackson is the court’s 116th justice, and she took the place of the justice she once worked for, per the...
My Retirement Begins
at Noon Thursday
Jun 29, 2022 2:35 PM CDT
Justice Breyer: My Retirement Begins at Noon Thursday
Final SCOTUS decision of term will be handed down that morning
- While Justice Stephen Breyer may disagree with more Supreme Court decisions to come, he'll be doing so as a private citizen. In a letter the court released Wednesday, Breyer told President Biden that the court's final decision of the term will be handed down Thursday morning, and his...
'We've Made It'
Apr 8, 2022 2:46 PM CDT
Judge Jackson: 'We've Made It'
Biden marks breakthrough at White House event, praising next justice's poise in Senate hearings
- After a Senate process that President Biden described as beyond painful, a White House celebration Friday marked the confirmation of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court, focusing on the historic breakthrough her appointment represents. "It has taken 232 years and 115 prior appointments for a Black woman...
Anita Hill: Can We Finally
Fix These Hearings?
Apr 8, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Anita Hill: Can We Finally Fix These Hearings?
She expresses 'joy' at Ketanji Brown Jackson's confirmation, but says judge was mistreated
- Anita Hill's reaction after the Senate confirmed Ketanji Brown Jackson as the first Black woman on the Supreme Court? "Pure joy," she told Anderson Cooper on CNN . "And not just joy for her, but also joy for the court and the American justice system." But...
Ketanji Brown Jackson
Just Made History
Apr 7, 2022 1:18 PM CDT
Ketanji Brown Jackson Just Made History
Senate confirms first Black woman to the Supreme Court
- For the first time, a Black woman will hear cases on the Supreme Court. The Senate on Thursday confirmed Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the court, where she will replace the retiring Stephen Breyer. The vote was 53-47, reports the
Washington Post .
Republicans Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of...
Marjorie Taylor Greene Reports
Jimmy Kimmel to Police
Apr 7, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
Marjorie Taylor Greene Reports Jimmy Kimmel to Police
Late-night host says Will Smith reference was a joke, not a threat
- Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene did not take kindly to Jimmy Kimmel's suggestion that Will Smith could deal with the "Klan mom." In a Wednesday tweet , the congresswoman said she had referred the late-night host to Capitol Police for "this threat of violence against me." Kimmel...
History to Be Made
in Today's Senate Vote
Apr 7, 2022 6:59 AM CDT
History to Be Made in Today's Senate Vote
Ketanji Brown Jackson expected to be confirmed as first Black woman on US Supreme Court
- Ketanji Brown Jackson is on the cusp of ascending to the Supreme Court, in what will be the first Senate confirmation of a Black woman to the nation's highest bench. An initial vote to avoid dozens of hours of debate on the 51-year-old judge's nomination will take...
2 More Republicans Back
Jackson, Giving Her 51 Votes
Apr 4, 2022 7:00 PM CDT
2 More Republicans Back Jackson, Giving Her 51 Votes
Murkowski, Romney say they'll support confirmation
- Sens. Lisa Murkowski and Mitt Romney announced Monday that they'll cast yes votes on Ketanji Brown Jackson's nomination for Supreme Court justice, giving her enough for confirmation. Another Republican, Sen. Susan Collins, already had committed to voting to confirm. Those three votes give Jackson at least 51, the...
Deadlock Expected in
Panel's Vote on Jackson
Apr 4, 2022 1:55 PM CDT
Deadlock Expected in Panel's Vote on Jackson
Democrats hope to have nominee confirmed by the end of the week
- The Senate Judiciary Committee debated Ketanji Brown Jackson's nomination for Supreme Court justice on Monday with Democrats aiming to confirm her by the end of the week as the first Black woman on the high court. The panel recessed at midday after one of the Democrats, California Sen. Alex...
Ketanji Brown Jackson Has
Secured One GOP Vote
Mar 30, 2022 7:39 AM CDT
Ketanji Brown Jackson Has Secured One GOP Vote
She has the backing of Susan Collins of Maine
- Ketanji Brown Jackson will have the backing of at least one Republican senator. Susan Collins of Maine confirmed that she has "decided to support the confirmation of Judge Jackson to be a member of the Supreme Court." The
New York Times
reports that the GOP senator made up...
Manchin: Way GOP Handled
Jackson Was 'Disgraceful'
Mar 29, 2022 2:56 PM CDT
Manchin: Way GOP Handled Jackson Was 'Disgraceful'
'I think she’s extremely well qualified and I think she’ll be an exemplary judge'
- Sen. Joe Manchin doesn't always agree with his Democratic colleagues, but they're on the same page when it comes to Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson—and the way she was treated by several Republican senators during confirmation hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee last week. Manchin on...
Just Got a Huge Lift
Mar 25, 2022 10:21 AM CDT
Jackson's Nomination Just Got a Huge Lift
Sen. Joe Manchin, a potential swing vote, confirms his support
- Ketanji Brown Jackson is all but guaranteed to become the first Black woman on the Supreme Court, CNN reports, after Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin threw his support behind her Friday. Axios also says Manchin's move "essentially guarantees" she's in. "After meeting with her, considering her record,...
Ted Cruz Inadvertently Boosts
Sales of Books He Opposes
Mar 25, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
Ted Cruz Inadvertently Boosts Sales of Books He Opposes
'End of Policing' rises to No. 1 in its Amazon category
- When Ted Cruz grilled Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson during her Senate confirmation hearing this week, he held up a few books as props. He displayed them as examples of what he views as far-left extremism, but the gesture appears to have had the unintended effect of boosting sales,...
Mitch McConnell's Decision
on Ketanji Brown Jackson: No
Mar 25, 2022 12:15 AM CDT
Mitch McConnell's Decision on Ketanji Brown Jackson: No
The Republican says he will vote against her Supreme Court nomination
- The Senate is on track to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson as the first Black woman on the Supreme Court in April, with the
Wall Street Journal
reporting GOP senators signaled on Thursday that they don't intend to make any moves that would seriously delay or block her confirmation. But...
Ketanji Brown Jackson
Makes Remarkable Admission
Mar 24, 2022 12:03 PM CDT
Ketanji Brown Jackson Makes Remarkable Admission
Nominee admits she didn't always get the balance right on career and being a mom
- In her opening statement this week to senators, Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson made what Michele Norris of the
views as a "remarkable" admission. Addressing her two daughters seated behind her, the 51-year-old judge said: "I know it has not been easy as I have...
Jackson: I'll Recuse Myself
From Harvard Race Case
Mar 23, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
Jackson: I'll Recuse Myself From Harvard Race Case
Democrats slam 'badgering' of SCOTUS nominee over child porn sentences
- Wednesday was the third day of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson's confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee—and for a third day, Republicans focused heavily on her sentencing in child pornography cases. Republican Sens. Josh Hawley, Ted Cruz, and Lindsey Graham were among those pressing Jackson on what they...
Jackson: No, I'm Not
Lenient on Child Porn
Mar 22, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
Jackson: No, I'm Not Lenient on Child Porn
'Nothing could be further from the truth,' she tells the Senate judicial panel
- Monday was the preliminaries . On Tuesday, Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson began taking questions from senators on the judicial panel. Some early highlights, per the AP :
Jackson forcefully defended her record as a federal judge and declared she will rule "from a position of neutrality” if she is
Mar 21, 2022 8:10 PM CDT
Jackson Promises Equal Justice
Supreme Court nominee tells Senate committee she'll be impartial
- Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson pledged on Monday to decide cases "without fear or favor" if the Senate confirms her historic nomination as the first Black woman on the high court. Jackson, 51, thanked God and professed love for "our country and the Constitution" in a 12-minute...
Durbin to Jackson: 'It's
Not Easy Being the First'
Mar 21, 2022 1:42 PM CDT
Durbin to Jackson: 'It's Not Easy Being the First'
Historic confirmation hearing gets underway with opening statements
- The first confirmation hearing for a Supreme Court justice of the Biden administration got underway Monday—and Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee said they would "ask tough questions" about Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson's "judicial philosophy" without turning the hearing into a "spectacle." If...
Get Ready for
Mar 21, 2022 3:48 AM CDT
Get Ready for Ketanji Brown Jackson's Confirmation Hearings
She could end up being the first Black woman on the Supreme Court
- Ketanji Brown Jackson's Supreme Court confirmation hearings start Monday before the Senate Judiciary Committee. If eventually confirmed to the high court, Jackson, who has a long career as a lawyer and judge, would be the first Black woman to sit on the court. The 51-year-old would fill Justice Stephen...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Frantic Parents Tased, Arrested Amid Arizona School Lockdown
Lindsey Graham Gets Bad News From Federal Judge
Rep Confirms Heche's Death as Exes Grieve
Trump: US 'Temperature Has to Be Brought Down'
Captain Cook's Endeavour Is Being Wrecked Again
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.