Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
After Murders, Murdaugh
Kept Mentioning Boat Crash
Jan 27, 2023 7:57 AM CST
After Murders, Murdaugh Kept Mentioning Boat Crash
First witness, a sheriff's deputy, says he saw no 'visible tears' from the accused
- The first officer to respond to Alex Murdaugh's report that he'd found his wife and son shot to death on the family's property says he cried no tears. Instead, the South Carolina attorney immediately provided a motive for why the killer acted against his loved ones on...
'It's Going to Get Gruesome'
During Alex Murdaugh Trial
Jan 26, 2023 1:01 AM CST
'It's Going to Get Gruesome' During Alex Murdaugh Trial
Opening statements were made Wednesday
- The jury has been seated for Alex Murdaugh's trial on charges that he murdered his wife and son, and in opening statements Wednesday, prosecutors warned that things would be getting intense. They painted a picture of Murdaugh's wife, Margaret, and son, Paul, having no idea what was about...
Food Trucks Ready as
Murdaugh Trial Begins
Jan 23, 2023 1:59 AM CST
Hotels Packed, Food Trucks Ready as Murdaugh Trial Begins
Jury selection begins Monday in South Carolina
- It's being called the "trial of the century" by some outlets, or at the very least, South Carolina's trial of the century: Alex Murdaugh's trial on charges of murdering his wife and son begins Monday with jury selection. A sampling of coverage in advance of the...
Dec 9, 2022 10:13 AM CST
Prosecutors Share Alex Murdaugh's Alleged Motive
Prosecutors: He killed wife, son just as evidence of financial crimes was likely to be exposed
- Alex Murdaugh killed his wife and son at the precise moment his financial crimes threatened to be revealed, prosecutors say in a motion filed Thursday—and they say Murdaugh's own shooting followed a remarkably similar pattern. After the recession of the early 2000s and a "series of bad...
Murdaugh: I Want to Be Tried
by 'God and My Country'
Jul 20, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Murdaugh: I Want to Be Tried by 'God and My Country'
He pleads not guilty to killing wife, son
- Alex Murdaugh, the disbarred South Carolina lawyer charged with murdering his wife and son last year, appeared in court Wednesday and pleaded not guilty. In answer to a prosecutor's question on how he wanted to be tried, he said, "By God and my country," the
Alex Murdaugh Indicted
in Murder of Wife, Son
Jul 14, 2022 11:22 AM CDT
Alex Murdaugh Indicted in Murder of Wife, Son
South Carolina attorney is charged in double-homicide
This summary has been updated with Thursday's indictment.
A grand jury in South Carolina has indicted attorney Alex Murdaugh in the high-profile murders of his wife and son last year, reports the AP . The indictments are for two counts of murder and two counts of possession of a...
Indictment: Murdaugh Stole
$400K From Quadriplegic Man
Jan 23, 2022 5:45 AM CST
Indictment: Murdaugh Stole $400K From Quadriplegic Man
He allegedly took settlement money he was supposed to give to Hakeem Pinckney's family
- A once-prominent South Carolina lawyer now faces 71 charges that he stole nearly $8.5 million in wrongful death and wreck settlements from more than a dozen people after another round of indictments against Alex Murdaugh were handed up Friday. The 23 new charges issued by the state grand jury...
'Who Steals From a Deaf Kid?'
Allegedly, Alex Murdaugh
Jan 6, 2022 10:30 AM CST
'Who Steals From a Deaf Kid?' Allegedly, Alex Murdaugh
Fox News unravels his alleged embezzlement crimes
- We're learning more details about the alleged financial fraud of Alex Murdaugh, including claims that the South Carolina lawyer stole from a deaf quadriplegic he represented following a car accident, and a former highway patrolman he represented following an injury in the line of duty. Murdaugh, already accused of...
Murdaugh's Wife Left a Will
Behind, but With One 'Oddity'
in case you missed it
Jan 2, 2022 8:00 AM CST
Murdaugh's Wife Left a Will Behind, but With One 'Oddity'
Someone had crossed off name of Maggie Murdaugh's sister as estate handler on 2005 doc
- The strange saga swirling around South Carolina's Murdaugh family continues, now involving the supposed final wishes of the late Maggie Murdaugh. NBC News reports the 52-year-old, found shot to death in June in her rural Islandton home along with 22-year-old son Paul Murdaugh, left behind a last will and...
Judge: Murdaugh Must
Pay $7M Bond in Full
Dec 13, 2021 4:47 PM CST
Judge: Murdaugh Must Pay $7M Bond in Full
SC lawyer makes first public remarks in months
- A judge set bond for Alex Murdaugh at $7 million Monday—well above the $6.2 million the South Carolina attorney is accused of stealing from clients. The bond is one of the highest in state history and Judge Alison Renee Lee, unusually, said it would have to be paid...
Embroiled SC Attorney Refuses
To Respond to Allegations
Nov 14, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Embroiled SC Attorney Refuses To Respond to Allegations
Alex Murdaugh asserts privilege against self-incrimination
- In the face of allegations he misappropriated client funds for years, disgraced South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh is keeping mum. The former partner at Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Elztroth, and Detrick said in papers filed with Colleton County court that he "asserts his privilege against self-incrimination guaranteed by the United...
Judge Says It's Too Risky
to Release Murdaugh
Oct 19, 2021 2:17 PM CDT
Judge Says It's Too Risky to Release Murdaugh
SC attorney denied bond in theft case
- A judge denied bond Tuesday for Alex Murdaugh, saying the attorney's considerable financial resources and mental instability appear for now to make it too risky to allow him to await trial outside of jail on charges he stole $3.4 million in insurance money meant for the sons of...
Alex Murdaugh Arrested,
Oct 14, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
Alex Murdaugh Arrested, Awaits Extradition
He's accused of stealing insurance settlements belonging to sons of late housekeeper
A big Alex Murdaugh development: The former South Carolina attorney has been arrested and accused of stealing more than $4 million in insurance settlements intended to go to the sons of his late housekeeper, reports the AP . Murdaugh was taken into custody at a Florida drug-rehab facility and is...
Sons of Murdaugh's Late
Housekeeper to Judge: Jail Him
Sep 29, 2021 10:46 AM CDT
Sons of Murdaugh's Late Housekeeper to Judge: Jail Him
They want him behind bars until the money they allege he embezzled is repaid
- New developments in two of the legal woes dogging Alex Murdaugh: First, the lawyer for the man who Murdaugh says he arranged to have shoot him in the head as part of a failed suicide scheme says that story is bogus. Jarrett Bouchette, the lawyer for 61-year-old Curtis Edward Smith,...
The Murdaugh Family's Road
Has Been Bumpy for Years
Sep 25, 2021 2:32 PM CDT
The Murdaugh Family's Road Has Been Bumpy for Years
The 'WSJ' dives into the unraveling of the South Carolina family
- Alex Murdaugh's fall from grace has been well-documented, and the
Wall Street Journal
adds to that pile. A lengthy piece by Valerie Bauerlein delves into the "unraveling of the Murdaugh dynasty," as the headline reads, and while some of the article trods familiar ground, it provides a...
of Trying to Frame Teen
in Fatal Boat Crash
Sep 21, 2021 7:24 PM CDT
Murdaugh Accused of Trying to Frame Teen in Fatal Boat Crash
Lawsuit alleges he was trying to protect son
- Paul Murdaugh's legal troubles ended permanently when the 22-year-old was shot to death along with his mother in June—but father Alex Murdaugh's troubles are only getting deeper. A new lawsuit accuses the prominent South Carolina attorney of trying to frame another teen in a fatal boat crash...
SC Attorney Accused
in Bizarre Plot Surrenders
Sep 16, 2021 12:02 PM CDT
SC Attorney Accused in Bizarre Plot Surrenders
Alex Murdaugh allegedly arranged his own hit but survived
A South Carolina attorney surrendered to authorities on Thursday in a convoluted case involving multiple deaths and alleged insurance fraud, reports CNN . Prosecutors say Alex Murdaugh arranged his own hit but survived, and that's only a small part of the story. Our original report, with timeline, follows:
Cops: Alex Murdaugh Arranged
to Be Shot in Suicide Scheme
Sep 15, 2021 12:02 PM CDT
Cops: Alex Murdaugh Arranged to Be Shot in Suicide Scheme
It's the latest twist in the strange SC Murdaugh case
show interview, an attorney for Alex Murdaugh indicated that an opioid addiction was a driving force in his client's plot to have a man kill him so his son could collect his life insurance policy. Attorney Dick Harpootlian said that on the day of the...
New Twists in
Strange Case of
Sep 7, 2021 4:00 AM CDT
New Twists in Strange Case of Prominent South Carolina Family
Alex Murdaugh enters rehab as his law firm says he was taking money
- A lawyer from a prominent South Carolina legal family who found his wife and son shot to death at their home three months ago and was injured days ago when a bullet grazed his head as he changed a tire was taking money from his law firm, the business said...
First His Wife and Son Were
Killed, Now He's Been Shot
Sep 5, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
First His Wife and Son Were Killed, Now He's Been Shot
Prominent South Carolina lawyer Alex Murdaugh was shot in the head on a lonely road
- The murder of a prominent South Carolina attorney's wife and son has gone nearly twelve weeks without any arrests but there's new startling twist: the attorney himself was shot in the head Saturday after experiencing car trouble on the side of the road. Per the
New York Times
Popular on Newser
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
US General Tells Command to Prepare for War With China
As Police Kicked and Beat Him, He Kept Yelling Out One Thing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.