Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 28, 2023 3:54 PM CST
Alex Murdaugh Gets Another 27 Years
Disgraced lawyer, already serving time for murder, pleads guilty to stealing from clients
- Alex Murdaugh is already in prison for the murders of his wife and son, but as ABC News reports, Tuesday brought a different piper for the disgraced South Carolina legal scion to pay: His former clients. Murdaugh pleaded guilty to bilking them out of millions of dollars over the...
Could Get a New Trial
Oct 19, 2023 7:47 AM CDT
Alex Murdaugh Could Get a New Trial
Court is considering allegations of jury tampering by the county clerk
- Alex Murdaugh is now a step closer to a new murder trial. The South Carolina Court of Appeals issued a ruling Tuesday that sends his case back to circuit court to consider allegations of jury tampering by Colleton County Clerk of Court Rebecca "Becky" Hill, per WJCL . Murdaugh's...
Court Official Tampered With
Jury, Murdaugh's Attorneys Say
Sep 5, 2023 12:31 PM CDT
Court Official Tampered With Jury, Murdaugh's Attorneys Say
They want a new trial over the alleged actions of Rebecca Hill
- Alex Murdaugh wants a new murder trial, and detailed the reason why in a 65-page filing submitted Tuesday. His lawyers argued that jury tampering occurred, thereby denying him a fair trial, and included sworn affidavits from three jury members in their filing. Sources tell NBC News at least two jurors...
Murdaugh Lost a Lot of
Prison Privileges This Week
Aug 31, 2023 8:36 AM CDT
Murdaugh Lost a Lot of Prison Privileges This Week
Inmate can't use phone, tablet, or prison canteen after participating in Fox docuseries
- Imprisoned double murderer Alex Murdaugh just lost his cell phone, tablet, and canteen privileges for breaking prison rules to participate in a Fox Nation docuseries. Murdaugh—a former high-profile lawyer who was sentenced to life in prison without parole in the June 2021 killings of his wife, Margaret, and their...
Man Who 'Repeatedly' Enabled
Alex Murdaugh Gets 7 Years
Aug 2, 2023 8:22 AM CDT
Man Who 'Repeatedly' Enabled Alex Murdaugh Gets 7 Years
Russell Laffitte was found guilty of wire and bank fraud in November
- The man who once headed a highly respected bank in the South Carolina Lowcountry will spend seven years in federal prison for helping convicted murderer Alex Murdaugh steal nearly $2 million from clients' legal settlements. Russell Laffitte was sentenced Tuesday after a jury found him guilty of six charges related...
Victim's Family Settles for
$15M in Murdaugh Boat Crash
Jul 18, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Victim's Family Settles for $15M in Murdaugh Boat Crash
Comes after judge refused to separate chain store, Alex Murdaugh in wrongful death case
- The family of a teen killed in a boat crash, which prosecutors say began the financial downfall of double murderer Alex Murdaugh, has reached a $15 million deal to settle a lawsuit against a convenience store chain that sold Murdaugh's son alcohol while underage, the AP reports. Sunday's...
Judge Says He Felt
Sorry for Murdaugh
Jun 21, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Judge Says He Felt Sorry for Murdaugh
'I cannot imagine him having a peaceful night, knowing what he did,' Clifton Newman says
- The judge who presided over Alex Murdaugh's murder trial—and sentenced the former attorney to life in prison without parole after a jury found him guilty of killing his wife and son—says he felt some pity for the man, NBC reports. "I felt sorry for him,"...
of Scamming Late
May 24, 2023 12:09 PM CDT
Murdaugh Accused of Scamming Late Housekeeper's Family
He's been indicted on 22 fraud-related count
- Alex Murdaugh was a crooked lawyer as well as a murderer, according to a federal indictment. The disbarred South Carolina attorney has been indicted on 22 federal fraud-related charges, including wire fraud and bank fraud, though his lawyers believe the case will be resolved before it goes to trial, CNN...
For Imprisoned Alex Murdaugh,
the Legal Woes Continue
May 7, 2023 6:01 AM CDT
For Imprisoned Alex Murdaugh, the Legal Woes Continue
Lawyers for convicted killer still dealing with multiple financial cases
- Alex Murdaugh may be serving a life sentence for killing his wife and son, but the legal system is far from done with him. As he sat in his South Carolina prison cell this week, Murdaugh’s lawyers dealt with large financial claims against him, per the AP . They told...
Second Autopsy Conducted
on Stephen Smith
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 8, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
Second Autopsy Conducted on Stephen Smith
Teen was found dead near Murdaugh property in 2015
- Stephen Smith, the 19-year-old found dead near the Murdaugh family property in South Carolina in 2015, can "really rest at ease" now that a second autopsy has been conducted, a lawyer for his mother says. Eric Bland says Smith's body was exhumed for the autopsy and returned to...
Judge in Murdaugh
Murder Case Speaks Out
Mar 29, 2023 1:25 PM CDT
Judge in Murdaugh Murder Case Speaks Out
Clifton Newman says he wasn't affected by the 'interest and notoriety' surrounding case
- South Carolina Circuit Court Judge Clifton Newman has spoken publicly about the Alex Murdaugh case for the first time since he sentenced the disgraced former attorney to two life terms for the murders of son Paul Murdaugh and wife Maggie Murdaugh. In remarks at Cleveland State University College of Law...
Teen Found Dead
Near Murdaugh Home
Was Murdered: Lawyer
Mar 22, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
Teen Found Dead Near Murdaugh Home Was Murdered: Lawyer
SLED believes Stephen Smith was intentionally killed, according to attorney Eric Bland
- Stephen Smith's body has yet to be exhumed, but authorities already consider his 2015 death as murder. An attorney for Smith's mother said Tuesday that the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division believes the 19-year-old's death was a homicide. The South Carolina State Highway Patrol initially said Smith...
What Prison Life Looks
Like for Alex Murdaugh
Mar 9, 2023 7:23 AM CST
What Prison Life Looks Like for Alex Murdaugh
He's being kept away from other inmates for his own safety, at least for now
- Alex Murdaugh is being kept away from other inmates at Kirkland Correctional Institution in Columbia, South Carolina, for his own safety. The state Department of Corrections tells TMZ that the convicted killer—sporting a shaved head in his new mugshot —is held in a single cell with a steel...
Alex Murdaugh's Brother
Doesn't Know What to Think
Mar 7, 2023 12:42 PM CST
Alex Murdaugh's Brother Doesn't Know What to Think
'Not knowing is the hardest thing,' says Randy Murdaugh
- Alex Murdaugh's older brother isn't convinced that the South Carolina lawyer really killed his wife and son. "The not knowing is the worst thing," Randy Murdaugh tells the
New York Times
following his brother's conviction. He says Alex's arrest for murder last July left...
Goes to the Cops
Mar 7, 2023 1:53 AM CST
Buster Murdaugh Goes to the Cops
Complains that media are harassing him and his girlfriend
- Buster Murdaugh says he and his girlfriend are being harassed by the media since his father, Alex Murdaugh, was convicted of murdering Buster's mother, Maggie, and brother, Paul. On Sunday morning, Buster Murdaugh called police to make a complaint about a tabloid photo of him inside his condo in...
Murdaugh Jurors Explain
Verdict, Egg Incident
Mar 6, 2023 7:35 PM CST
Murdaugh Jurors Explain Verdict, Egg Incident
They say it might have been a hung jury if it wasn't for kennel video
- Three of the jurors who found Alex Murdaugh guilty of murdering his wife and son appeared on the
show Monday—and they said it might have been a hung jury if not for a video taken on the night of the murders. Prosecutors said the voice of Alex Murdaugh...
Judge's Sentencing Remark
Shows Murdaugh Family Pull
Mar 3, 2023 1:32 PM CST
Judge's Sentencing Remark Shows Murdaugh Family Pull
Painting in courtroom of Alex Murdaugh's grandfather had to be removed to 'ensure a fair trial'
- Alex Murdaugh received two life sentences Friday in South Carolina for the murder of his wife, Maggie, and 22-year-old son, Paul. But before Judge Clifton Newman handed down his decision, he mentioned the sad downfall of Murdaugh, who comes from a prominent family of attorneys in the region, and commented...
2 Takes on the Speedy
Mar 3, 2023 11:27 AM CST
2 Takes on the Speedy Murdaugh Verdict
3 hours may not have been long enough for jury to consider issues raised by data from devices
- After a six-week trial with testimony from 75 witnesses, the jury found Alex Murdaugh guilty in less time than it would have taken them to watch
. Farhad Manjoo at the
New York Times
, who uses they/them pronouns, says that while they have "little quarrel" with the decision...
Alex Murdaugh Receives
Two Life Sentences
Mar 3, 2023 9:18 AM CST
Alex Murdaugh Receives Two Life Sentences
He again proclaims his innocence in murder of his wife and son in South Carolina
- Alex Murdaugh received no mercy on Friday from the judge in his double-murder trial. One day after he was convicted of killing his wife and son , the 54-year-old was sentenced to life without parole, reports the AP . He actually received
consecutive life sentences, per CNN . As the hearing started,...
Jury Convicts Alex Murdaugh
in Slayings of Wife and Son
Mar 2, 2023 6:19 PM CST
Jury Convicts Alex Murdaugh in Slayings of Wife and Son
Panel reaches quick murder verdict against disbarred South Carolina lawyer
- The verdict in the sensational double-murder trial of Alex Murdaugh is in. A jury in South Carolina on Thursday found the disbarred lawyer guilty of murder in the 2021 slayings of his wife, Maggie, and son, Paul. The panel deliberated less than three hours after a trial that lasted more...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.