Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US: 'Defendant Conspired From
India' to Have This Man Killed
Nov 29, 2023 11:10 AM CST
US: 'Defendant Conspired From India' to Have This Man Killed
American prosecutors have charged an Indian man who they say tried to hire a hit man
- US prosecutors have charged an Indian man with trying to take out a hit on a US citizen living in New York City. In an indictment unsealed Wednesday, prosecutors allege Nikhil Gupta, 52, paid someone he believed to be a hit man $100,000 to murder Gurpatwant Singh Pannun. The...
All 41 Trapped India Workers
Have Been Rescued
Nov 28, 2023 10:07 AM CST
All 41 Trapped India Workers Have Been Rescued
Rescuers pull men to safety after 17 days buried underground
- India's transportation minister says all 41 construction workers who were trapped in a collapsed mountain tunnel in the country's north for more than two weeks have been pulled out after rescuers reached them on Tuesday. Nitin Gadkari, the minister of road transport and highways, wrote on X that...
Drilling Machine Breaks,
Stopping Tunnel Rescue
Nov 25, 2023 4:05 PM CST
Drilling Machine Breaks, Stopping Tunnel Rescue
The 40 workers have been trapped inside a tunnel since Nov. 12
- A drilling machine being used to try to break through rubble, stones, and metal to reach construction workers trapped in a collapsed tunnel in northern India has broken down, halting the operation. Crews began trying to remove the debris by hand, the AP reports. "The machine is busted,"...
Rescuers Race to Save
Tunnel Workers in India
Nov 13, 2023 6:06 AM CST
Rescuers Race to Save Tunnel Workers in India
Forty were caught in a landslide at a construction project in the mountains
- Rescuers in northern India are trying to reach 40 workers who were trapped by a landslide as they were digging a tunnel through a mountain. Rescue teams in Uttarkashi district say they have been able to communicate with the trapped workers with walkie-talkies, and they've pumped in oxygen through...
For LGBTQ+ Advocates in India,
a 'Deeply Disappointing' Ruling
Oct 17, 2023 7:21 AM CDT
For LGBTQ+ Advocates in India, a 'Deeply Disappointing' Ruling
Nation's top court punts decision on same-sex marriage to Parliament
- India's top court on Tuesday refused to legalize same-sex marriages, passing the responsibility back to Parliament in a ruling that disappointed campaigners for LGBTQ+ rights in the world's most populous country. Chief Justice DY Chandrachud also urged the government to uphold the rights of the queer community and...
Climate Change Will Make
These Places Too Hot to Live
Oct 15, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Climate Change Will Make These Places Too Hot to Live
New study identifies which regions will be 'unlivable' for long stretches of time
- As global temperatures rise, long stretches of extreme heat will make certain regions 'unlivable' for weeks at a time, a new study published in the
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
breaks down the bleak report, which projects what temperatures will look like in...
Cricket Fans Filling Hospitals.
They're Not Sick
Oct 12, 2023 1:22 PM CDT
Cricket Fans Filling Hospitals. They're Not Sick
Overnight check-ups double as affordable accommodation for Pakistan game
- Hospitals in Ahmedabad, India, are filling up amid a major outbreak of cricket fever. Arch-rivals India and Pakistan play each other Saturday in the group stage of cricket's World Cup, and hospitals have seen a surge in people scheduling check-ups that include an overnight stay on the day of...
It Was a Disaster Foretold
in India. More Will Follow
Oct 6, 2023 12:46 PM CDT
It Was a Disaster Foretold in India. More Will Follow
A glacial lake overflowed in India's northeast, causing death and destruction
- The dam had been contentious from the start. It was the largest to be built in India's far northeastern Sikkim state, and had been operating since 2017 as part of the country's effort to use hydroelectric power. Early Wednesday, Lhonak Lake overflowed and tore through the Teesta 3...
India Can't Rouse
Its Moon Rover
Sep 22, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
India Can't Rouse Its Moon Rover
Lander and rover are dormant at the frigid south pole after a 2-week nap
- India's mission to the moon can already be counted as a historic success, but this might put a damper on how it ends: The nation's space agency can't rouse its lunar lander or lunar rover after a two-week nap, reports New Scientist . The machines deliberately went into...
as Rift With
Sep 21, 2023 7:50 AM CDT
India Suspends Visa Services as Rift With Canada Widens
Country has urged its citizens in Canada to be cautious
- India's visa processing center in Canada suspended services Thursday as a rift widened between the countries after Canada's leader said India may have been involved in the killing of a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told Parliament on Monday that there were "credible...
His Slaying in Canada Is
Now an International Incident
Sep 19, 2023 8:45 AM CDT
His Slaying in Canada Is Now an International Incident
What we know about Hardeep Singh Nijjar, whose June killing has caused a Canada-India rift
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau startled the international community on Monday with a damning allegation against India—he said Canada was investigating "credible allegations" that the Indian government orchestrated the murder of a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil. India denies it, and a diplomatic tit-for-tat is now under way...
Tension Rises Between Canada,
India Over Sikh Leader's Killing
Sep 19, 2023 1:26 AM CDT
Tension Rises Between Canada, India Over Sikh Leader's Killing
India expels senior Canadian diplomat in tit-for-tat
- India dismissed allegations that its government was linked to the killing of a Sikh activist in Canada as "absurd" Tuesday, and expelled a senior Canadian diplomat, the AP reports. It came a day after Canada expelled a top Indian diplomat as it investigates what Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called...
Trudeau Accuses India
in Sikh Leader's Killing
Sep 18, 2023 6:25 PM CDT
Trudeau Accuses India in Sikh Leader's Killing
Hardeep Singh Nijjar was shot by masked men in Canada
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told the House of Commons on Monday that the Indian government ordered the assassination of a Sikh leader this summer on Canadian soil. Hardeep Singh Nijjar, 45, was shot in June while sitting in his truck in a busy parking lot near a Sikh temple in...
One Word in
a Dinner Invite
Sep 6, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
One Word in a Dinner Invite Gets Scrutinized
Does a switch from India to Bharat loom?
- The "President of Bharat" invited guests to a Saturday dinner for world leaders during the G20 summit—and grabbed plenty of attention in doing so. Bharat is the Hindi or Sanskrit form of "India," and its use on the world stage has generated fresh speculation that the...
Ahead of G20 Summit
Sep 4, 2023 2:23 PM CDT
India Deploys Cardboard Monkeys Ahead of G20 Summit
Monkey imitators will also be used to keep primates away from delegates in New Delhi
- India is preparing for the G20 summit and its capital city of New Delhi doesn't want world leaders to be harassed or attacked by rhesus monkeys. In a departure from previous anti-monkey efforts, the city is fighting the monkeys with cardboard monkeys instead of bigger monkeys, the BBC reports....
Historic Walk Accomplished,
India's Moon Rover Takes a Nap
Sep 3, 2023 8:03 AM CDT
Historic Walk Accomplished, India's Moon Rover Takes a Nap
It's scheduled to wake up again on September 22
- India's moon rover has completed its walk on the lunar surface and been put into sleep mode less than two weeks after its historic landing near the lunar south pole, India's space mission said. "The rover completes its assignments. It is now safely parked and set into sleep mode,...
India's Lunar Rover
Keeps Doing Its Moon Walk
Aug 25, 2023 1:17 PM CDT
India's Lunar Rover Keeps Doing Its Moon Walk
No glitches so far after historic touch-down earlier this week
- India's lunar rover continued its walk on the moon Friday after the historic touch-down of India's spacecraft near the moon's south pole earlier this week, the country's space agency said. The rover's data collection and experiments could help determine if there is oxygen and hydrogen...
India Achieves a Moon Landing
That's Historic on 2 Fronts
Aug 23, 2023 8:17 AM CDT
India Achieves a Moon Landing That's Historic on 2 Fronts
It landed a spacecraft near the moon's south pole
- India on Wednesday landed a spacecraft near the moon's south pole, an uncharted territory that scientists believe could hold vital reserves of frozen water and precious elements. A lander with a rover inside touched down on the lunar surface at 6:04pm local time, sparking cheers and applause among...
Russia's First Moon Mission
in Decades Ends in a Crash
Aug 20, 2023 6:26 AM CDT
Russia's First Moon Mission in Decades Ends in a Crash
Luna-25 lander rams into the moon while preparing to land
- Russia's first attempt to return to the moon since 1976 has ended in an explosion. The nation's Luna-25 lander spun out of control while preparing to land and rammed into the moon's surface, reports CNN . "The apparatus moved into an unpredictable orbit and ceased to exist...
47 Years Later,
Back to the Moon
Aug 11, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
47 Years Later, Russia Heads Back to the Moon
India hopes to land around the same time in search for water ice
- Russia's first moon mission in almost five decades started off with what the AP calls a "flawless" launch Friday of a rocket carrying a lunar landing craft. The launch from Russia's Vostochny Cosmodrome spaceport in the country's Far East is Russia's first since it was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.