Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Palestinian Hunger Striker
Has Refused Food for 160 Days
Aug 9, 2022 1:52 PM CDT
Palestinian Hunger Striker Has Refused Food for 160 Days
Egypt is seeking release of Khalil Awawdeh as part of Gaza ceasefire deal
- A Palestinian hunger striker who his family says has refused food for the past 160 days and is wasting away in an Israeli jailhouse infirmary has suddenly been thrust into the center of efforts to firm up a Gaza ceasefire. Khalil Awawdeh is in the spotlight because the Islamic Jihad...
Israel Begins Investigation
of Police Actions at Funeral
May 14, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Israel Begins Investigation of Police Actions at Funeral
Officers beat mourners during procession for Al Jazeera journalist
: Israeli police announced Saturday they're investigating the actions of officers during a journalist's funeral that became violent. International criticism of the officers, who attacked pallbearers trying to reach a church in Jerusalem, has been widespread since the confrontation Friday, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. President Biden is...
Al Jazeera, Israel Clash
Over Death of Reporter
May 11, 2022 6:11 AM CDT
Al Jazeera, Israel Clash Over Death of Reporter
Palestinian journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, a US citizen, was killed during Israeli raid in West Bank
- A female journalist for Al Jazeera was shot and killed while covering an Israeli raid in the occupied West Bank town of Jenin early Wednesday. The broadcaster and a reporter who was wounded in the incident blamed Israeli forces, while Israel claimed there was evidence the two were hit by...
Father: Israel Has Held Teen
Son a Year Without Charges
Jan 10, 2022 9:54 AM CST
Father: Israel Has Held Teen Son a Year Without Charges
17-year-old Palestinian with neuromuscular disorder is under 'administrative detention'
- Israel is considering whether to extend the detention of a 17-year-old Palestinian boy with a rare neuromuscular disorder who has been held without charge for nearly a year in what authorities refer to as administrative detention, his father said Monday. The use of administrative detention has galvanized demonstrations across the...
Ben & Jerry's Announces
Withdrawal From West Bank
Jul 19, 2021 6:35 PM CDT
Ben & Jerry's Announces Withdrawal From West Bank
Company says its ice cream won't be sold in 'Occupied Palestinian Territory'
- An announcement from Ben & Jerry's on Monday got a very frosty reception in Israel. The Vermont-based company said in a statement that it will no longer allow its ice cream to be sold in the "Occupied Palestinian Territory"—the West Bank and east Jerusalem—because the...
Amid Deadly Israeli Airstrike,
Fears of an 'Intifada'
May 15, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Amid Deadly Israeli Airstrike, Fears of an 'Intifada'
10 family members, including 8 children, die in Gaza City, raising concerns of Palestinian uprising
- An Israeli air raid in Gaza City killed at least 10 Palestinians, mostly children, early Saturday in the deadliest single strike since the battle with Gaza's militant Hamas rulers erupted earlier this week. Both sides pressed for an advantage as ceasefire efforts gathered strength. The latest outburst of violence...
Fears Rise of a
4th War Between
May 12, 2021 7:26 AM CDT
Fears Rise of a 4th War Between Israel, Hamas
The airstrikes continued Wednesday
- If you're wondering what exactly is happening between Israelis and Palestinians , Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu sums it up plainly: "We are in the midst of a significant operation." The AP describes it as the "worst fighting since the 2014 Gaza war," with CNN describing...
Jerusalem at 'Brink of
Eruption' After Latest
Clash Hurts Hundreds
May 10, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
Jerusalem at 'Brink of Eruption' After Latest Clash Hurts Hundreds
Medics say at least 153 were hospitalized after Israeli police confronted Palestinian protesters
- Israeli police firing tear gas, stun grenades, and rubber-coated bullets clashed with Palestinian stone-throwers at a flashpoint Jerusalem holy site on Monday, the latest in a series of confrontations pushing the contested city to the brink of eruption. More than a dozen tear gas canisters and stun grenades landed in...
Israel Has Kept Vaccines
From Palestinians—Until Now
Feb 17, 2021 12:31 PM CST
Israel Has Kept Vaccines From Palestinians—Until Now
There are only 2K doses of Sputnik V vaccine for Gaza Strip, a territory of 2 million Palestinians
- Israel allowed the Palestinian Authority to deliver the first coronavirus vaccines to the Gaza Strip on Wednesday, despite objections from Israeli lawmakers who suggested they be used as a bargaining chip for the release of captives held by the territory's militant Hamas rulers. Israel has faced international criticism for...
A Big US
First in Israel,
and a 'Major
Nov 19, 2020 9:10 AM CST
A Big US First in Israel, and a 'Major Policy Shift'
Mike Pompeo is first US diplomat to visit Israeli settlement in occupied West Bank
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday became the first top US diplomat to visit an Israeli settlement in the occupied West Bank as the State Department announced that products from the settlements can be labeled "Made in Israel" in a major policy shift. The two moves reflected the...
What Everybody Gets in
Landmark Mideast Deal
Aug 13, 2020 11:56 AM CDT
What Everybody Gets in Landmark Mideast Deal
It's seen as a win for Trump, Israel, and UAE, and kind of a win-loss for Palestinians
- President Trump said Thursday that the United Arab Emirates and Israel have agreed to establish full diplomatic ties—part of a deal to halt the annexation of occupied land sought by the Palestinians for their future state, per the AP . The announcement makes the UAE the first Gulf Arab state...
For a Month, a
Lull. Then Came
the 90 Rockets
May 4, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
For a Month, a Lull. Then Came the 90 Rockets
Reports out of Israel of rockets fired from Gaza Strip, retaliatory airstrikes against Palestinians
- Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip fired at least 90 rockets into southern Israel on Saturday, per the Israeli military, triggering retaliatory airstrikes and tank fire against militant targets in the blockaded enclave and shattering a monthlong lull in violence. Gaza's Health Ministry said a 22-year-old Palestinian, Emad Nassir,...
Mar 4, 2019 2:57 AM CST
US Closes Jerusalem Consulate, Angers Palestinians
It served as de facto embassy to Palestinians
- The United States has officially shuttered its consulate in Jerusalem, downgrading the status of its main diplomatic mission to the Palestinians by folding it into the US Embassy to Israel. For decades, the consulate functioned as a de facto embassy to the Palestinians. Now, that outreach will be handled by...
FB Ban Over
Dec 18, 2018 8:21 AM CST
Netanyahu's Son Earns 24-Hour FB Ban Over 'Hate Speech'
Yair Netanyahu wants all Muslims to leave Israel, called Palestinians 'monsters in human form'
- The oldest son of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was forced to take a bit of a break from Facebook over the weekend for a series of posts the social media platform said "included hate speech." The
New York Times
details some of what brought on the 24-hour...
DOE Uses 'Contested' Definition
of Anti-Semitism to Revisit Case
Sep 12, 2018 7:49 AM CDT
DOE Uses 'Contested' Definition of Anti-Semitism to Revisit Case
Department taking new look at 2011 discrimination claims against Jewish students at Rutgers
- In a move the
New York Times
says supports a "hotly contested definition of anti-Semitism," the Department of Education has announced it's vacating a 2014 ruling by the Obama administration and reopening a case against Rutgers University brought by a conservative Zionist group. The case, per
Lana Del Rey Cancels Show
in Israel Amid Pressure
Sep 1, 2018 9:47 AM CDT
Lana Del Rey Cancels Show in Israel Amid Pressure
Palestinian group urges a boycott of all Israeli events
- Singer Lana Del Rey has canceled her planned performance at an Israeli music festival after pressure from Palestinian boycott activists, per the AP . In a Twitter message late Friday, Del Rey said that "it's important to me to perform in both Palestine and Israel and treat all my...
Trump Cuts More Than
$200M in Aid to Palestinians
Aug 25, 2018 5:30 AM CDT
Trump Cuts More Than $200M in Aid to Palestinians
Money will be redirected to 'high priority projects elsewhere'
- The Trump administration has decided to cut more than $200 million in bilateral aid to the Palestinians, following a review of the funding for projects in the West Bank and Gaza, the State Department said Friday. The department notified Congress of the decision in a brief, three-paragraph notice sent first...
Israel, White House Defend
Killing of Gaza Protesters
May 15, 2018 6:57 AM CDT
Israel, White House Defend Killing of Gaza Protesters
UN office says Israel's use of live ammo unjustified
- The death toll from what Israel's critics are calling a massacre of unarmed protesters in Gaza hit 59 overnight with the death of a baby from tear gas inhalation, according to Palestinian authorities. The Palestinian Health Authority in Gaza says seven children under 18 were among the dozens of...
Deadliest Day in Gaza Since
Autumn: 12 Dead, 1K Hurt
Mar 30, 2018 1:18 PM CDT
Deadliest Day in Gaza Since Autumn: 12 Dead, 1K Hurt
It started with the pre-dawn death of a farmer before Palestinian sit-ins
- The Palestinian Health Ministry says the death toll in Gaza has risen to 12, with 11 Palestinians killed by Israeli army fire along the border with Israel and a farmer killed by pre-dawn tank fire in a separate incident. In the deadliest day in Gaza since last fall, the ministry...
1 Dead After Palestinian Boat
Sails Beyond Fishing Zone
Feb 25, 2018 10:10 AM CST
1 Dead After Palestinian Boat Sails Beyond Fishing Zone
Israeli navy fired on boat
- The Israeli military says it has opened fire on a Palestinian boat off the Gaza coast, killing one man who was on board, the AP reports. The military says the boat sailed beyond an Israeli-imposed designated fishing zone, ignoring verbal warnings and warning shots. It says naval forces then opened...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
A Daughter Changes Her Mind About Zodiac Killer's Identity
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.