Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
5-Hour Amtrak Trip to Chicago
Turns Into Lengthy Nightmare
Oct 11, 2022 4:18 PM CDT
5-Hour Amtrak Trip to Chicago Turns Into Lengthy Nightmare
For a while there were no flushable toilets
- Tales of stuck passengers make the news fairly frequently—though they're usually sitting on runways, not tracks. Hundreds of passengers ended up stuck on an Amtrak train that had set out on a 5.5-hour journey from Pontiac, Michigan, to Chicago on Friday. The Detroit News reports it ended...
for a Shutdown
Sep 12, 2022 6:50 PM CDT
Amtrak Prepares for a Shutdown
Carrier cancels a few routes to ensure passengers aren't stranded
- Amtrak warned Monday that a strike could soon disrupt commutes, as well as cross-country trips, and announced it was suspending some long-distance routes starting Tuesday. Negotiators are in a cooling-off period now that is scheduled to end Thursday night; as of Friday, workers could walk off the job, or the...
Locals Say Everyone Knew
Amtrak Crash Site Was Unsafe
Jun 28, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Locals Say Everyone Knew Amtrak Crash Site Was Unsafe
Missouri farmer posted video saying that very thing on June 11
- A fourth person has died due to injuries suffered when an Amtrak train traveling from Los Angeles to Chicago struck a dump truck and derailed Monday afternoon in a remote area of Missouri, reports the AP . They are the third passenger to die; the driver of the dump truck was...
Train Derails After Hitting
Dump Truck, Killing 3
Jun 27, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Train Derails After Hitting Dump Truck, Killing 3
Dozens are injured, Missouri officials say
- A passenger train traveling from Los Angeles to Chicago struck a dump truck and derailed Monday in a remote area of Missouri, killing three people and injuring dozens more. Two of the people who died were on the Amtrak train, and one was in the truck, Highway Patrol spokesman Cpl....
in Fatal Amtrak Crash
Mar 4, 2022 4:05 PM CST
Engineer Acquitted in Fatal Amtrak Crash
Train derailed after hitting curve at 106mph
- An Amtrak engineer was cleared Friday of charges related to a deadly, high-speed derailment that left eight people dead and hundreds injured in Philadelphia in 2015. The jury acquitted 38-year-old engineer Brandon Bostian of causing a catastrophe, involuntary manslaughter, and reckless endangerment after a little more than an hour of...
Jan 28, 2022 4:47 PM CST
After Holocaust Remembrance, Swastikas
Nazi symbols appear on Union Station, near US Capitol
- Swastikas were found to have defaced the exterior of Washington's Union Station on Friday, less than a mile from the nation's Capitol. "Sickening. Yesterday was Holocaust Remembrance Day," Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez tweeted . President Biden had used the occasion to caution against a "resurgence of...
Amtrak Train Stuck for More
Than a Day in Virginia Storm
Jan 4, 2022 4:15 PM CST
Amtrak Train Stuck for More Than a Day in Virginia Storm
Downed trees force more than 200 to hunker down
- Stranded drivers on Interstate-95 in Virginia aren't the only travelers having a nightmare experience. An Amtrak train with more than 200 people aboard has been stuck in Virginia's stormy weather for more than a day. The train left New Orleans on Sunday but got stuck north of Lynchburg,...
Prosecutors: Amtrak Engineer
Ran 7-Year Chain Saw Scheme
Dec 14, 2021 4:42 PM CST
Prosecutors: Amtrak Engineer Ran 7-Year Chain Saw Scheme
Agents say Jose Rodriguez obtained the equipment for work purposes, sold it
- A New Jersey man who worked for Amtrak for nearly 15 years now faces up to 20 years in prison for what he admitted doing on the job. Federal officials say Jose Rodriguez of Brick, NJ, obtained equipment under the guise of needing it for projects he was doing as...
Before DEA Agent
Was Killed on Train
Oct 6, 2021 3:20 PM CDT
Drugs Found Before DEA Agent Was Killed on Train
Gunman also was killed in the gunfire, Tucson police say
In advance of the deadly shooting Monday on an Amtrak train in Arizona, DEA agents searched bags associated with one passenger and found 2.39 kilograms of marijuana, 50 packages of marijuana edibles and "other marijuana and cannabis products," per the court documents. CNN reports they allegedly...
Killed in Derailment
Sep 29, 2021 2:00 AM CDT
Couple Celebrating 50th Anniversary Killed in Derailment
Cause of Amtrak derailment Saturday in Montana still not clear
- Two of the victims of Saturday's Amtrak train derailment were a Georgia couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. Don and Marjorie Varnadoe, 74 and 72, spent months dreaming of the cross-country trip, and just Friday, Don "had called the office and said how excited they were" and that...
At Least 3 Dead, 50 Injured
in Amtrak Derailment
Sep 25, 2021 10:20 PM CDT
At Least 3 Dead, 50 Injured in Amtrak Derailment
Accident happened in Montana
- At least three people were killed Saturday afternoon when an Amtrak train that runs between Seattle and Chicago derailed in north-central Montana, an official with the Liberty County Sheriff's Office said. Dispatcher Starr Tyler told the AP that three people died in the derailment. Amtrak said in a statement...
Feds Clear Path
for New Northeast Tunnel
May 29, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Feds Clear Path for New Northeast Tunnel
It will replace the existing Hudson River tunnel connecting NY and NJ
- A planned $11 billion rail tunnel key to train travel up and down the northeastern US received a boost Friday with long sought federal environmental approval. The decision by the Department of Transportation means the project to build a new Hudson River tunnel connecting New York and New Jersey can...
to DC Is Out
Jan 14, 2021 1:30 AM CST
Joe Biden's Amtrak Ride to DC Is Out
Plans change amid security concerns for inauguration
- President-elect Joe Biden will no longer be taking an Amtrak train to Washington for his inauguration because of security concerns, a person briefed on the decision told the AP on Wednesday. The president-elect’s decision reflects growing worries over potential threats in the Capitol and across the US in the...
Arrival in DC
May Be Unusual
Dec 7, 2020 1:59 AM CST
Report: Biden's Arrival in DC May Be Unusual
Sources say he's considering riding in on Amtrak
- Sources tell Axios that Joe Biden may not be arriving in Washington, DC, for the inauguration in the typical way. The president-elect is considering a method more appropriate for him—coming to town on the same Amtrak train the Delaware native used to take during his days as a senator....
Major Service Cuts
Jun 17, 2020 12:01 AM CDT
Pandemic Causes Major Service Cuts for Amtrak
Daily service to hundreds of stations will be terminated
- With ridership way down amid the coronavirus pandemic, Amtrak announced this week it will be cutting daily service to hundreds of stations starting Oct. 1. It's the stations outside the Northeast that will be affected, the
reports; Amtrak is reducing most of its long-distance trains to thrice-weekly...
Amtrak Withdraws 'Outrageous'
$25K Fee for Wheelchair Users
Jan 21, 2020 12:29 PM CST
Amtrak Withdraws 'Outrageous' $25K Fee for Wheelchair Users
Access Living employees can now ride for $16 each, as normal
- Amtrak has backtracked after telling two wheelchair users they needed to pay $25,000 for a two-hour train ride that normally costs $16 per ticket. NPR first reported on the fee applied to employees of Access Living, a disability service and advocacy center, who hoped to travel from Chicago to...
They Were Driving
to a Camping Trip.
Then the Train Came
Nov 25, 2019 9:25 AM CST
They Were Driving to a Camping Trip. Then the Train Came
Florida woman, 2 young grandsons killed on tracks that had no gates or signals
- A Florida woman and her two grandsons were killed by a passing Amtrak train on Saturday afternoon as she drove the Cub Scouts to an overnight camping trip near West Palm Beach, per the AP . The train carrying some 200 passengers collided with the family’s Subaru Outback at the...
After a Day and a Half Stuck on
Train, Passengers Disembark
Feb 26, 2019 2:54 PM CST
After a Day and a Half Stuck on Train, Passengers Disembark
Amtrak train pulled back to Eugene, Oregon, train station
- The 183 passengers stuck aboard Amtrak Coast Starlight Train 11 were finally able to exit the train Tuesday morning after a tedious 36+ hours. The Seattle-to-Los Angeles train was blocked by downed trees on the tracks in a remote part of Oregon Sunday night; the area had been hit with...
These Amtrak Passengers Are
Having a Really Bad Journey
Feb 26, 2019 6:03 AM CST
These Amtrak Passengers Are Having a Really Bad Journey
Train in remote Oregon hit a tree Sunday, and they may be there until Tuesday
- Nearly 200 people aboard an Amtrak train now have everyone else beat when it comes to tales about travel nightmares. Their train hit a downed tree in remote Oregon on Sunday evening, and all aboard—183 passengers, plus the crew—will likely be stuck there until Tuesday morning, reports the...
Amtrak's New Problem:
Cars Uncoupling at High Speed
Feb 6, 2018 5:27 PM CST
Amtrak's New Problem: Cars Uncoupling at High Speed
Nobody is hurt in incident involving Acela train in Maryland
- Because Amtrak needed one more negative headline: One of its high-speed Acela trains came apart Tuesday morning while en route from DC to New York. Specifically, the first two cars on the train uncoupled from each other in Maryland, reports the
. Both cars had passengers, but nobody was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.