Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
The Rules Are Changing
for Transgender Swimmers
Jun 19, 2022 3:20 PM CDT
The Rules Are Changing for Transgender Swimmers
World governing body restricts participation and plans an 'open' category
- The governing body of world swimming has approved restrictions on the participation of transgender athletes in top competitions. Only athletes who have completed transitioning by age 12 will be allowed to compete, the BBC reports. The new rules received 71% of the vote Sunday from the 152 FINA members meeting...
Lia Thomas Opens Up
About Past and Future
May 31, 2022 5:12 PM CDT
Lia Thomas Opens Up About Past and Future
It was a rare media appearance for the transgender swimmer
- Transgender swimmer Lia Thomas has graduated from Penn and plans to go to law school. She also hopes to compete in the 2024 US Olympic Team Trials, according to
Good Morning America.
Thomas took gold in the 500-yard freestyle in March, becoming the first transgender athlete to win an NCAA...
Ron DeSantis Signs
Lia Thomas Swim Victory
Mar 23, 2022 12:03 AM CDT
Ron DeSantis Signs Proclamation Denying Lia Thomas Swim Victory
Florida governor says Emma Weyant, a Florida native, is the real winner
- Lia Thomas won an NCAA Division I title last week , but not according to Ron DeSantis. The Florida governor on Tuesday signed a proclamation declaring second-place winner Emma Weyant, who grew up and graduated from high school in Florida before going on to swim for the University of Virginia, the...
Swimmer Lia Thomas
Scores a Big First
Mar 17, 2022 10:18 PM CDT
Swimmer Lia Thomas Scores a Big First
She's the first transgender athlete to win NCAA Division I title
- Lia Thomas won the 500-yard freestyle event at the NCAA Division I women's swimming and diving championships Thursday night in Atlanta, becoming the first known transgender athlete to win an NCAA Division I title in any sport, WSVN reports. The University of Pennsylvania swimmer told ESPN after the race...
Trans Swimmer Lia Thomas
Romps at Ivy Championships
Feb 23, 2022 6:21 AM CST
Trans Swimmer Lia Thomas Romps at Ivy Championships
Thomas won all four races, heads next to NCAA finals
- Lia Thomas, the University of Pennsylvania swimmer who started competing on the women's team after transitioning to female, won all four of the races she competed in last week at the Ivy League championships, three individual (in which she also set Ivy records) plus the team relay. That means...
Don't Want Transitioned
Swimmer to Compete
Feb 4, 2022 4:55 PM CST
Teammates Don't Want Transitioned Swimmer to Compete
Letter from 16 members of Penn women's team says Lia Thomas has an unfair advantage
- Lia Thomas' teammates have weighed in against allowing the transgender swimmer to compete on the University of Pennsylvania women's squad. A letter sent to Ivy League and school officials, which says it's from 16 unidentified team members, asked that they not challenge the NCAA's revised policy on...
US Transgender Swimmers
Get Some New Rules
Feb 2, 2022 9:35 AM CST
US Transgender Swimmers Get Some New Rules
Panel to decide if transitioned athletes like Lia Thomas have unfair advantage at elite level
- A panel of three medical experts will determine whether a transgender swimmer has an unfair advantage over other female competitors before they are accepted at the elite level, according to a new policy from USA Swimming . The panel will consider "prior physical development of the athlete as a male...
She Broke a Bunch
of Swim Records,
Dec 17, 2021 1:00 PM CST
She Broke a Bunch of Swim Records, Now Faces Transphobia
Controversy swirls over U of Penn's Lia Thomas, who moved to women's team after transitioning
- The debate on trans athletes participating in college sports has just been kicked up a notch after a University of Pennsylvania swimmer broke three school records and two national ones over the past month. LGBTQ advocates say the ensuing controversy has veered into transphobic waters. NBC News reports on the...
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Chris Christie's Niece Booted Off Plane, Allegedly Bites Officers
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.