Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Threatens to Kill
'All the Black People' at
Site of Buffalo Massacre
Jul 23, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Man Threatens to Kill 'All the Black People' at Site of Buffalo Massacre
Washington state man arrested by FBI
- The Tops supermarket where 10 Black people were killed in a mass shooting in May received phone calls with similar threats on Tuesday and Wednesday. Joey David George, a Seattle-area man with an alleged history of making racist threats, asked how many Black people were in the store and "...
Hate Crime Charges in Buffalo
Raise Question for Garland
Jun 15, 2022 12:09 PM CDT
Hate Crime Charges in Buffalo Raise Question for Garland
Attorney general has paused federal executions, so will he seek the death penalty?
- The white gunman who killed 10 Black people in a racist attack at a Buffalo supermarket was charged Wednesday with federal hate crimes and could face the death penalty, per the AP . The criminal complaint filed Wednesday against Payton Gendron coincided with a visit to Buffalo by Attorney General Merrick...
11-Year-Old Uvalde Survivor
Tells Her Story to Congress
Jun 8, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
11-Year-Old Uvalde Survivor Tells Her Story to Congress
'I don't feel safe at school,' says Miah Cerrillo
- A House panel is hearing this week from people affected by the mass shootings in Uvalde and Buffalo , and testimony on Wednesday drew particular attention—it came from an 11-year-old survivor of the Uvalde school shooting. In the prerecorded video , fourth grader Miah Cerrillo recalled how she and her classmates...
'Thoughts and Prayers Won't
Fix This': NY Changes Gun Law
Jun 6, 2022 1:14 PM CDT
'Thoughts and Prayers Won't Fix This': NY Changes Gun Law
Sale of semiautomatic rifles restricted to those 21 and older
- New Yorkers under age 21 will be prohibited from buying semiautomatic rifles under a new law signed Monday by Gov. Kathy Hochul, making the state one of the first to enact a major gun control initiative following a wave of deadly mass shootings, per the AP . Hochul, a Democrat, signed...
of Hanging Up on
Tops Worker Is Fired
Jun 3, 2022 12:26 PM CDT
Dispatcher Accused of Hanging Up on Tops Worker Is Fired
Call taker had been placed on leave pending disciplinary hearing after Buffalo mass shooting
A 911 dispatcher accused of hanging up on a worker at a Tops in Buffalo as a gunman shot his way through the grocery store has been fired, reports NBC News . The dispatcher, who allegedly also yelled at the Tops worker for whispering on the phone, had worked for...
Buffalo Shooting Suspect
Faces Terrorism Charge
Jun 1, 2022 3:02 PM CDT
Buffalo Shooting Suspect Faces Terrorism Charge
He was also indicted on 10 counts of murder
- A grand jury Wednesday charged the white 18-year-old accused of fatally shooting 10 Black people at a Buffalo supermarket with domestic terrorism motivated by hate and 10 counts of first-degree murder. Payton Gendron, who has been in custody since the May 14 shooting, is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday in...
Noise Like Gunfire Causes
Panic at NYC Arena
May 29, 2022 10:39 AM CDT
Noise Like Gunfire Causes Panic at NYC Arena
As it turns out, no shots were fired at Barclays Center, but a stampede to safety ensued
- An example of a nation with frayed nerves: Ten people ended up in the hospital with minor injuries Saturday night over a false alarm about a shooting in the Barclays Center in New York City, reports CNN . After a boxing match between Devonte Davis and Rolando Romero, some kind of...
At Buffalo Funeral, Harris
Sees a 'Through Line'
May 28, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
At Buffalo Funeral, Harris Sees a 'Through Line'
Final victim of supermarket shooting is buried
- The final victim of the mass shooting at a Buffalo supermarket was buried Saturday, as families in Uvalde, Texas, planned funerals for their loved ones killed Tuesday at Robb Elementary School. Vice President Kamala Harris brought up other mass shootings in addressing the mourners in Buffalo, the Hill reports. "...
During MLB Matchup, a
Most Unusual Twitter Stream
May 27, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
During MLB Matchup, a Most Unusual Twitter Stream
During Thursday's game between Yankees, Rays, teams live-tweeted stats on gun violence
- MLB fans looking to keep up with the game Thursday night between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays got quite the surprise when they logged on to Twitter. Instead of stats and play-by-plays, the two teams instead used their accounts to tweet out facts on gun violence. In...
Retired Federal Agent Under
Scrutiny in Buffalo Shooting
May 27, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Retired Federal Agent Under Scrutiny in Buffalo Shooting
'Buffalo News' reports former fed may have received notice about the attack in advance
is reporting a disturbing new wrinkle in the mass shooting that claimed 10 lives in that city. The FBI is investigating whether a retired federal agent learned of the attack about 30 minutes in advance but did nothing, according to the newspaper. Local station WIVB says its...
Report: Before Mass Shooting,
15 Accepted Suspect's Invite
May 20, 2022 4:44 AM CDT
Report: Before Mass Shooting, 15 Accepted Suspect's Invite
They would have been able to see livestream of Buffalo shooting
- More people may have viewed the Buffalo mass shooting live—apparently without contacting authorities—than previously known. Insiders tell the
and CNN that 15 Discord users accepted the 18-year-old suspect's invitation to join a private chat room around 30 minutes before the massacre began on Sunday. The...
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
May 19, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
Suspected Buffalo shooter makes court appearance, is jeered by relative of a victim
- The legal case against the accused gunman in Buffalo's mass shooting advanced on Thursday, but not before Payton Gendron got a message from a relative of one of the victims. "Payton, you're a coward!" shouted the family member as the 18-year-old was being led from a...
30 Minutes Before
Buffalo Shooting, Suspect
Revealed His Plans
May 18, 2022 1:44 AM CDT
30 Minutes Before Buffalo Shooting, Suspect Revealed His Plans
No one who entered Discord chat room appeared to contact authorities
- The suspected gunman in the Buffalo shooting that left 10 people dead posted a detailed rundown of his plans for the massacre on a private Discord server, or chat room—and, it was revealed Tuesday, he invited people to join the room about a half-hour before he allegedly carried out...
Buffalo Shooting Raises
Questions on Red-Flag Law
May 17, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Buffalo Shooting Raises Questions on Red-Flag Law
Suspected gunman was able to buy a weapon despite writing threats at school
- New York has a "red-flag" law that prohibits a person who presents a threat to themselves or others from buying or possessing a gun. So how did the suspect in Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo legally buy a semi-automatic rifle in the state less than a year after...
In Buffalo, Biden Repeatedly
Blasts White Supremacy
May 17, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
In Buffalo, Biden Repeatedly Blasts White Supremacy
He spoke to victims' families, local officials, and first responders
- President Biden on Tuesday spoke in Buffalo, offering lengthy comments in the wake of an attack at a Tops supermarket that killed 10 Black people. The
reports Biden repeated a story he has told before, about how the white pride march in Charlottesville in 2017 was one of...
Tucker Carlson Addresses
Alleged Gunman's Screed
May 17, 2022 6:45 AM CDT
Tucker Carlson Addresses Alleged Gunman's Screed
Fox host distances self from 'diseased' suspect as critics pile on over 'replacement theory'
- Tucker Carlson addressed the Buffalo mass shooting Monday night, asserting that his critics are off base in connecting views put forth on his Fox show to the suspected gunman. The alleged shooter wrote of "replacement theory" in a 180-page racist screed, and Carlson has frequently raised the subject in...
Manager: I Asked
Gunman to Leave Day
Before Buffalo Shooting
May 17, 2022 1:48 AM CDT
Manager: I Asked Gunman to Leave Day Before Buffalo Shooting
He was allegedly pretending to be a panhandler outside Tops store
- The day before an 18-year-old white man allegedly walked into a Buffalo grocery store and fatally shot 10 people in the predominantly Black neighborhood, he had been asked to leave the store by a manager. That manager's brother spoke to the
, and said his sister, Shonnell Harris...
Official: Suspect Had Plans
'to Shoot More Black People'
May 16, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Official: Suspect Had Plans 'to Shoot More Black People'
Possibly at 'another large superstore' in Buffalo, per the city's police commissioner
- As more details trickle out on the victims of Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo, NY, more on the alleged gunman is also emerging, including a chilling glimpse at what he'd possibly planned to do if he hadn't been stopped. Joseph Gramaglia, the city's police commissioner, told...
What We Know About the
Buffalo Shooting Victims
May 16, 2022 1:01 AM CDT
What We Know About the Buffalo Shooting Victims
The 10 killed and 3 injured have been identified
- Aaron Salter was a beloved community member and security guard who knew the shoppers of Tops Friendly Market by name. When they came under attack from a gunman with a rifle, he sprang into action. The retired Buffalo police officer fired multiple times at the attacker, striking his armor-plated vest...
Police Took Shooting Suspect
for Evaluation Last Year
May 15, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Police Took Shooting Suspect for Evaluation Last Year
Police say he made a threat about carrying out a shooting at his high school
- Police became aware of the suspect now being held in the mass shooting Saturday at a Buffalo supermarket last year, after they said he threatened an attack at his high school. State troopers were called to Susquehanna Valley High School in Conklin, New York, last June, the AP reports. They...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
20-Year-Old Makes $110M on Bed Bath & Beyond Stock
They Bought 2 Suitcases at Auction. Inside, a Horrific Find
Her Alaskan Election Surprise May Lead to History
Trump's Former Money Guy Pleads Guilty, Heads to Prison
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.