Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Uvalde mass shooting
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Public, a Warrior.
At Home, a Fragile Kid
Oct 30, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
In Public, a Warrior. At Home, a Fragile Kid
'Washington Post' profiles 10-year-old Uvalde survivor Caitlyne Gonzales
- She has become, writes John Woodrow Cox in the
, the "most public survivor" of the Uvalde school shooting that took the lives of 19 of her classmates and two of her teachers. Cox describes 10-year-old Caitlyne Gonzales as "a portrait of resilience, a 4-foot-8, 75-pound embodiment...
Texas Chief Says
He Shouldn't Be
Fired Over Uvalde
Oct 27, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
Texas Chief Says He Shouldn't Be Fired Over Uvalde
Steve McCraw says his department didn't fail in response to school shooting
- Texas' state police chief said Thursday that his department "did not fail" Uvalde during the hesitant law enforcement response to the Robb Elementary School shooting, as a Republican congressman joined angry parents of some of the 19 children killed in the May attack in calling for him to resign....
Uvalde Aide Accused
of Leaving Door Open Speaks
Oct 25, 2022 12:58 AM CDT
Uvalde Aide Accused of Leaving Door Open Speaks
Emilia Marin says she is suffering mentally, emotionally
- The gunman who killed 19 students and two teachers at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, was initially said to have gotten into the school via a door left propped open by a teacher. The director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, Col. Steven McCraw, who initially made that...
'He Had the Chance to Go in
and Save the Children'
Oct 22, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
'He Had the Chance to Go in and Save the Children'
Juan Maldonado is first Texas state trooper to be fired over his actions during Uvalde mass shooting
- Juan Maldonado was one of the first officers from the Texas Department of Public Safety to arrive on the scene of the Uvalde school shooting in May. Now, he's the first state trooper fired in the aftermath of the massacre that killed 19 students and two teachers, after a...
Oct 18, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Democrats Hear Common Theme After Latest Polls
'We peaked a little early'
- The latest polls ahead of next month's midterm elections have generally not been kind to Democrats, and the resulting sentiment is reflected in two similar headlines out on Tuesday: "Democrats worry they peaked too soon ahead of midterms," reads one at the Hill . "Democrats' midterm hopes...
Uvalde School District
Shuts Down Police Force
Oct 7, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Uvalde School District Shuts Down Police Force
All officers are suspended, and superintendent decided to retire
- In the face of bitter criticism and unanswered questions about the law enforcement response to the Uvalde mass shooting, the Texas school district on Friday announced that it has suspended its entire police force. District officials said they've asked for state troopers to fill in at campuses and extracurricular...
Grieving Uvalde Dad Gets
Poignant, Unsettling Tattoo
Sep 21, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
Grieving Uvalde Dad Gets Poignant, Unsettling Tattoo
Brett Cross' 10-year-old son was among the students killed
- In July, the
published video from the hallway where police officers waited to confront the gunman who killed 19 children and two teachers at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, on May 24. An editor's note was attached to the video: "The sounds of children screaming...
Uvalde Survivors Suffer
Even as School Resumes
Sep 5, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Uvalde Survivors Suffer Even as School Resumes
For some, PTSD symptoms are just beginning to surface
- One girl runs and hides when she sees thin people with long hair similar to the gunman's who stormed into her Uvalde school and killed 21 people. One boy stopped making friends and playing with animals. A third child feels her heart race when she's reminded of the...
Billboards in California
Warn Against Moving to Texas
Aug 28, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Billboards in California Warn Against Moving to Texas
Billboards in LA, SF invoke Uvalde massacre
- Mysterious billboards have gone up in Los Angeles and San Francisco invoking the Uvalde school massacre to urge people not to move to Texas. CBS Bay Area reports that the billboards feature a sinister figure in a hooded top and the words: "The Texas dream died in Uvalde. Don'...
Uvalde School Police Chief Fired
Aug 24, 2022 10:24 PM CDT
Uvalde School Police Chief Fired
School board terminates Pete Arredondo over botched response to mass shooting
- Exactly three months after the shooting massacre at a Uvalde, Texas, elementary school left 19 children and two teachers dead, the school district fired its police chief. Pete Arredondo, who coordinated the law enforcement response to the mass shooting, had been on administrative leave since June, and in addition to...
and a Hand, at Game
Aug 24, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
Uvalde Survivor Receives Applause, and a Hand, at Game
Mayah Zamora, 10, was unable to face returning home
- A 10-year-old girl who survived the Uvalde mass shooting has been honored by the Houston Astros as their hero. Mayah Zamora threw out the first pitch before the game Tuesday in Houston against the Minnesota Twins, was named hero of the month by the Carlos Correa Foundation, and learned of...
Beto Blows Up
Aug 11, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Beto Blows Up at Heckler During Texas Town Hall
O'Rourke blasts 'motherf---er' who laughed as he talked about Uvalde mass shooting
- Beto O'Rourke isn't afraid to get a little salty when taking on the topic of gun violence in the US, and he didn't disappoint on that front this week during a Texas town hall. Speaking Wednesday in front of a crowd gathered in Mineral Wells, the Democratic...
Uvalde School Board Cancels
Meeting on Firing Police Chief
Jul 22, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Uvalde School Board Cancels Meeting on Firing Police Chief
District cites 'due process requirements' in postponing discussion on Arredondo
: The meeting scheduled for Saturday in which Uvalde school officials were to discuss and possibly decide whether to fire district Chief Pete Arredondo has been called off. The district announced the cancellation in a statement Friday, citing "due process requirements" and a request by Arredondo's lawyer, the...
Bo Jackson Stepped Up to
Help Pay for Uvalde Funerals
Jul 22, 2022 4:26 AM CDT
Bo Jackson Stepped Up to Help Pay for Uvalde Funerals
'It’s just not right for parents to bury their kids,' former MLB, NFL player says
- Former sports superstar Bo Jackson helped pay for the funerals of the 19 children and two teachers killed in the Uvalde school massacre in May, revealing himself as one of the previously anonymous donors who covered costs for families after one of the deadliest classroom shootings in US history. Jackson,...
on Uvalde Killings
Details Total Failure
Jul 17, 2022 8:00 PM CDT
Texas Report on Uvalde Killings Details Total Failure
Legislative investigation finds 'egregious poor decision making' in response to Robb Elementary
- A Texas legislative report released Sunday spreads blame among law enforcement, the Uvalde school district, social media platforms, and the gunman's family in the mass shooting that killed 19 children and two teachers. "Systemic failures and egregious poor decision making" allowed the gunman to kill at will for...
Mayor Calls Paper
'Chicken' for Releasing
Jul 13, 2022 4:28 PM CDT
Mayor Calls Paper 'Chicken' for Releasing Uvalde Footage
Families 'don't need to relive that'
- Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin slammed the
and KVUE Tuesday for releasing surveillance video taken inside Robb Elementary School during the May 24 mass shooting. The mayor, speaking during a town council meeting Tuesday night, called the move "one of the most chicken things I've ever seen,...
Families React to
Uvalde Video Release:
'Who Do You Think You Are?'
Jul 13, 2022 6:15 AM CDT
Families React to Uvalde Video Release: 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
Hallway video shows cops in the hallway for nearly an hour while gunman was inside classroom
- A day after details were released of the surveillance video from a Robb Elementary School hallway on the day of the Uvalde, Texas, massacre, the video itself is out. The
obtained the footage, and on Tuesday released a four-minute video showing critical highlights, as well as a lightly...
Jul 12, 2022 5:37 AM CDT
Video From Uvalde School Hallway Shows Police Waiting
It's not clear when video might be released
has viewed a 77-minute surveillance video from the hallway of Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, on the day a gunman massacred 19 students and two teachers,
reports. The footage is not graphic, but offers what
calls "an unabridged view of police...
Officer Had Rifle Aimed
at Gunman as He
Entered Uvalde School
Jul 6, 2022 4:34 PM CDT
Officer Had Rifle Aimed at Gunman as He Entered Uvalde School
Report details 3 missed opportunities to thwart school shooting
- Three major opportunites to thwart the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School were missed and two of them involved police, according to the Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training Center—ALERRT—at Texas State University. The report was commissioned by the Texas Department of Public Safety to examine the much-criticized...
Police: Parade Shooting Was
Planned Weeks in Advance
Jul 5, 2022 12:33 PM CDT
Police: Parade Shooting Was Planned Weeks in Advance
Authorities have to yet talk about a potential motive
- Authorities provided an update Tuesday on the investigation into Monday's parade shooting in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park, but the big question continues to elude them—why? "We have no information to suggest at this point it was racially motivated, motivated by religion, or any other protected...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Chris Christie's Niece Booted Off Plane, Allegedly Bites Officers
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.