Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Jan. 6 hearings
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jan. 6 Panel Delays Hearing
as Hurricane Nears Florida
Sep 27, 2022 4:16 PM CDT
Jan. 6 Panel Delays Hearing as Hurricane Nears Florida
'We’re praying for the safety of all those in the storm’s path'
- The House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the Capitol announced Tuesday that it had postponed a hearing scheduled for Wednesday as a hurricane hurtled toward the Florida coast. The committee had planned to hold what was likely to be its final investigative hearing Wednesday afternoon, but members...
Jan. 6 Committee Trashes
Book by Former Staffer
Sep 26, 2022 2:38 PM CDT
Jan. 6 Committee Trashes Book by Former Staffer
Republican Denver Riggleman is eager to share his insider perspective
- Days before it's scheduled to deliver a final public hearing, the House Select Committee on the Jan. 6 Capitol attack got an unwelcome surprise Sunday from an ex-staffer. Per the
Denver Riggleman, a former House member and "Never Trump" Republican who worked briefly as a technical...
Ginni Thomas Reaches Deal
With House Jan. 6 Committee
Sep 22, 2022 12:19 AM CDT
Ginni Thomas Reaches Deal With House Jan. 6 Committee
Wife of Clarence Thomas agrees to be interviewed
- The House panel investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol is getting what it wants : Sources told outlets including CNN and NBC News that Virginia "Ginni" Thomas, wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, had reached an agreement with the select committee and would sit down...
a Pardon in
Sep 17, 2022 2:55 PM CDT
Gaetz Wanted a Pardon in Sex Trafficking Case: Witness
Panel had heard testimony that pardon requests were over efforts to overturn election
- Rep. Matt Gaetz, who's under federal investigation on suspicion of sex trafficking, told former President Donald Trump's chief of staff that a preemptive pardon in the case "would be great," a witness told a House committee. Johnny McEntee, a White House aide during Trump's term,...
the Jan. 6
Sep 2, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Trump Ally Just Sued the Jan. 6 Committee
Pennsylvania governor candidate Doug Mastriano says panel can't force him to sit for deposition
- The Jan. 6 House panel has been hit with a lawsuit from one of its potential witnesses. Doug Mastriano, the GOP nominee for governor in Pennsylvania, filed suit in federal court in his home state on Thursday, reports Politico . The staunch supporter of former President Trump argues that the panel...
January 6 Panel
Wants to Talk to
Sep 2, 2022 1:08 AM CDT
January 6 Panel Wants to Talk to Newt Gingrich
Committee is asking for a voluntary interview
- The House January 6 panel is asking Newt Gingrich to voluntarily cooperate with its probe into the 2021 attack on the US Capitol. In a letter sent to the former GOP House speaker, the select committee says it has obtained emails between Gingrich, Jared Kushner, Jason Miller, and other senior...
to Jan. 6 Probe
Aug 30, 2022 5:37 AM CDT
Secret Service Official Integral to Jan. 6 Probe Abruptly Retires
Tony Ornato says he has long been planning the move
- Anthony Ornato, the Secret Service official turned Trump staffer who has become enmeshed in the House January 6 probe , abruptly retired Monday. The Intercept calls the move, which came two days before his planned interview with Department of Homeland Security investigators who are probing the Capitol riot, "unexpected."...
Pence Would 'Consider' an
Invite From Jan. 6 Committee
Aug 17, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
Pence Would 'Consider' an Invite From Jan. 6 Committee
Though he said it would be 'unprecedented' for a VP to be summoned
- Former Vice President Mike Pence spoke in New Hampshire on Wednesday, and comments he made on two topics are getting some attention.
On Mar-a-Lago FBI search:
"We can hold the attorney general accountable for the decision he made without attacking the rank-and-file law enforcement personnel at the FBI,"
2 Years' Worth of
Alex Jones' Texts Given
to House Jan. 6 Panel
Aug 9, 2022 1:30 AM CDT
2 Years' Worth of Alex Jones' Texts Given to House Jan. 6 Panel
Though not the ones they really wanted
- After months of working to get access to them, the House panel investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol on Monday received more than two years' worth of Alex Jones' text messages, sources say. The messages, which were turned over to the committee by a lawyer for...
Lawyers 'Messed Up,' Sending
Alex Jones' Texts to Opponents
Aug 3, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Lawyers 'Messed Up,' Sending Alex Jones' Texts to Opponents
Infowars host had said under oath that there was nothing on his phone about Sandy Hook killings
- Alex Jones said in a sworn deposition that there's nothing on his cellphone about the Sandy Hook school massacre. That position became uncomfortable Wednesday when the Infowars host was on the stand in his defamation trial in Texas and learned that his lawyers "messed up." Mark Bankston,...
Pentagon Officials' Phones
Were Wiped of Jan. 6 Texts
Aug 3, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Pentagon Officials' Phones Were Wiped of Jan. 6 Texts
Watchdog group demands investigation
- The post-Jan. 6 phone-wiping apparently extended to the Pentagon as well as Homeland Security and the Secret Service , according to court documents. The watchdog group American Oversight says that in response to litigation, the Department of Defense and the Army have confirmed that the phones of officials including former acting...
Biden Rips Trump Over
Jan. 6 to Law Enforcement
Jul 25, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
Biden Rips Trump Over Jan. 6 to Law Enforcement
'You can't be pro-insurrection and pro-cop,' president tells law enforcement executives
- Building on the revelations of the House committee investigating the attack on the Capitol, President Biden denounced former President Donald Trump on Monday for holing up in a White House dining room "while brave law enforcement officers" tried to fight off an out-of-control mob. And Biden delivered the message...
Luria: Trump Removed More
Key Lines From Jan. 7 Remarks
Jul 25, 2022 1:22 PM CDT
Luria: Trump Removed More Key Lines From Jan. 7 Remarks
One of them called for DoJ to prosecute rioters
- A remark about the election being ove r wasn't the only thing Donald Trump refused to say in a video recorded the day after the Capitol attack. Democratic Rep. Elaine Luria tweeted a video Monday showing that Trump apparently edited prepared remarks to remove a line saying that he...
Jan. 6 Panel's Next Target:
Clarence Thomas' Wife
Jul 25, 2022 5:15 AM CDT
Jan. 6 Panel's Next Target: Clarence Thomas' Wife
If Virginia Thomas won't come willingly, committee will consider a subpoena, says Liz Cheney
- The House Jan. 6 committee wants to talk to Clarence Thomas' wife, and it's hoping she'll come voluntarily. If Virginia "Ginni" Thomas declines to do so, however, a subpoena could be coming her way. Liz Cheney, the panel's vice chair, said on CNN Sunday that following...
Jul 24, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Accepting Election Loss Wasn't Heroic: Gore
Former Trump aide called 2000 decision a model for democracy in Jan. 6 hearing
- Praised by a witness during a nationally televised House hearing last week for his democracy-preserving handling of the 2000 presidential election, Al Gore said Sunday he did "nothing really extraordinary." The disputed results of the Florida vote that year led to recounts and a Supreme Court case. When...
Jul 24, 2022 6:10 AM CDT
2 Murdoch Newspapers Go After Trump
'New York Post' and 'Wall Street Journal' publish scathing editorials
- Is Rupert Murdoch parting ways with Donald Trump? The conservative editorial pages of two of his US newspapers have published blistering editorials against the former president in the wake of the most recent Jan. 6 hearing , notes CNN .
Wall Street Journal:
In an editorial headlined, "The President Who Stood
Bannon Warns Jan. 6 Panel
Jul 23, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Bannon Warns Jan. 6 Panel
Convicted Trump ally says Republicans will investigate the Democratic investigators
- After being found guilty of contempt of Congress on Friday, Steve Bannon went on Fox News to put Democratic lawmakers on notice of future retaliation. "We have to have a real Jan. 6 committee," Bannon told host Tucker Carlson, speaking of a Republican return to control of Congress....
Should Be Glad
Jul 22, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Democrats Should Be Glad Trump Didn't Concede
'Economist' argues his path back to the White House would be much easier if he had
- Democrats have gotten a couple of breaks in their effort to keep Donald Trump from regaining the presidency, argues the UK magazine the
. The first was his campaign to overturn the legitimate election of President Biden, which has turned into the biggest weapon Democrats have against him. Another is...
Hawley Has Defiant Tweet
Amid Much Mockery
Jul 22, 2022 10:07 AM CDT
Hawley Has Defiant Tweet Amid Much Mockery
Critics are ridiculing his actions on Jan. 6, with Kinzinger dubbing him 'Fistpump McRunpants'
- Thursday's prime-time Jan. 6 hearing put its main focus on the actions of former President Trump . But the other politician getting a
of attention on Friday is GOP Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri. The House panel investigating the Capitol riot showed a now-famous photo of Hawley raising his...
Key Takeaways From
Thursday's Jan. 6 Hearing
Jul 22, 2022 3:57 AM CDT
Key Takeaways From Thursday's Jan. 6 Hearing
Panel focused on 187 minutes of inaction
- The House committee investigating the Capitol attack held the last of its summer hearings Thursday night, focusing on former President Trump's failure to act as a mob of his supporters stormed the building. The panel presented evidence that Trump ignored repeated pleas to call off his supporters in the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Marjorie Taylor Greene's 27-Year Marriage Is Ending
Ian Leaves Trail of Devastation
Queen's 2-Word Cause of Death Is Released
MacKenzie Scott Quietly Files for Divorce
Police Not Sure if Slain Daughter Was Abducted First
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.