Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Highland Park mass shooting
11 Suits in Mass Shooting
Filed Against Smith & Wesson
Sep 28, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
11 Suits in Mass Shooting Filed Against Smith & Wesson
Filings are centered on gun-maker's marketing of weapon
- Survivors of the mass shooting at a suburban Chicago Independence Day parade and family members of those killed filed 11 lawsuits Wednesday against the manufacturer of the rifle used in the attack, accusing gun-maker Smith & Wesson of illegally targeting its ads at young men at risk of committing mass...
Highland Park Victim, 8,
Is Finally Back at Home
Sep 23, 2022 9:14 AM CDT
Highland Park Victim, 8, Is Finally Back at Home
Cooper Roberts' 'new normal' is 'really, really hard,' family says
- Eight-year-old Cooper Roberts is back home after more than two months of treatment for injuries from a shooting at a Fourth of July parade in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park, his family said Thursday. The attack this past summer killed seven and wounded dozens, including Cooper’s mother, Keely...
Boy Paralyzed in
Aug 17, 2022 1:01 AM CDT
Boy Paralyzed in Parade Shooting Is 'Hopeless'
Family offers update on Cooper Roberts
- The 8-year-old boy whose spine was severed in the Highland Park mass shooting at a July 4 parade, paralyzing him from the waist down, "feels hopeless, sad and angry as the reality of his life is setting in," according to the latest update shared on the verified GoFundMe...
Highland Park Marks
a Week Since Mass Shooting
Jul 11, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Highland Park Marks a Week Since Mass Shooting
Churches tolled their bells 7 times
- One week after a shooting at a Fourth of July parade that left seven dead, the Chicago suburb of Highland Park held a moment of silence Monday morning to mark the exact time police say the first shot was fired. More than 100 people gathered and hugged each other in...
8-Year-Old's Spinal Cord
Severed in Parade Shooting
Jul 8, 2022 12:53 AM CDT
8-Year-Old's Spinal Cord Severed in Parade Shooting
Cooper Roberts is the youngest known victim of the Highland Park mass shooting
- Cooper and Luke Roberts, 8-year-old twins from Highland Park, Illinois, loved attending the Chicago suburb's Independence Day parade and had done so in the past. But this year's July 4 event turned tragic: Both boys and their mother were injured in the mass shooting, and Cooper was paralyzed...
Said Toddler Who Was
Orphaned at Parade Shooting
Jul 7, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
'Mommy, Daddy,' Said Toddler Who Was Orphaned at Parade Shooting
Aiden McCarthy's parents were both killed by gunman
The AP has a more extensive interview with Greg Ring, who took care of a 2-year-old boy orphaned in the Highland Park mass shooting at an Independence Day parade. "He asked my wife to wipe him off because he had blood on him that wasn’t his,"...
Officials: Parade Suspect Drove
North, Considered 2nd Shooting
Jul 6, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Officials: Parade Suspect Drove North, Considered 2nd Shooting
Suspected gunman will be held without bond
The man charged with killing seven people when he shot at parade-watchers in Highland Park, Ill., confessed to police that he fired on the crowd, a prosecutor said Wednesday, though no plea has been entered in the case. Lake County Assistant State's Attorney Ben Dillon added that police...
How Parade Shooting Suspect
Managed to Buy 5 Guns
Jul 6, 2022 8:54 AM CDT
How Parade Shooting Suspect Managed to Buy 5 Guns
Police were called to his home in 2019, but no formal complaints or arrests were made
- More details are emerging about how the suspected gunman in the July 4 parade shooting in Highland Park managed to legally purchase weapons—five of them. Lake County Major Crime Task Force rep Christopher Covelli says that in September 2019, police confiscated 16 knives, a dagger, and a sword after...
Police: Parade Shooting Was
Planned Weeks in Advance
Jul 5, 2022 12:33 PM CDT
Police: Parade Shooting Was Planned Weeks in Advance
Authorities have to yet talk about a potential motive
- Authorities provided an update Tuesday on the investigation into Monday's parade shooting in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park, but the big question continues to elude them—why? "We have no information to suggest at this point it was racially motivated, motivated by religion, or any other protected...
After Parade Shooting,
2 Jarring Comparisons
Jul 5, 2022 11:07 AM CDT
After Parade Shooting, 2 Jarring Comparisons
Doctor and senator say gunfire, resulting injuries were like those in war
- Monday's mass shooting at a parade in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park has led to some disturbing comparisons:
"Those are wartime injuries," Dr. David Baum, who treated victims after the shooting, tells CNN . "Those are what are seen in victims of war, not
the Focus on
Jul 5, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
Shooting Puts the Focus on Well-Known Highland Park
Actor Rachel Brosnahan 'spent nearly every day after school' near the scene
- Monday's mass shooting in Highland Park, Ill., is hitting celebrities with ties to the community especially hard. Actress Rachel Brosnahan, who grew up in the area where director John Hughes shot scenes for movies including
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
, wrote on social media that she...
He Was Hesitant About Going
to Parade, Ended Up Dead
Jul 5, 2022 6:56 AM CDT
He Was Hesitant About Going to Parade, Ended Up Dead
6 people were killed in the Highland Park shooting
Updated with the identity of a second victim.
Details about the six people killed at a July 4 parade in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park are beginning to emerge. Nicolas Toledo, 76, was among those killed, and the
New York Times
reports his family said he didn't want...
Highland Park Police: 'Person
of Interest' Is in Custody
Jul 4, 2022 7:55 PM CDT
Highland Park Police: 'Person of Interest' Is in Custody
Robert E. Crimo was taken into custody 8 hours after mass shooting in Chicago suburb
- Police say a man they have described as a "person of interest" in the mass shooting at a Fourth of July parade Monday is now in custody. Highland Park police say 22-year-old Robert E. Crimo was taken into custody without incident around eight hours after the shooting, the
2 Hours After Parade Killings,
Candidate Says, 'Let's Move On'
Jul 4, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
2 Hours After Parade Killings, Candidate Says, 'Let's Move On'
Darren Bailey issues apologetic statement after negative reaction to his response
- The Republican nominee for governor of Illinois posted a Facebook video on Monday addressing the shooting at a Fourth of July parade about two hours earlier in his state. Darren Bailey suggested praying for the victims' families and law enforcement officers, and then returning to the day's festivities, the...
Police Say Parade Shooter
Fired From Rooftop
Jul 4, 2022 1:55 PM CDT
Police Say Parade Shooter Fired From Rooftop
Description of Highland Park suspect released
- Police in Illinois have released a description of the gunman believed to have killed at least six people at a Fourth of July parade in a Chicago suburb. Highland Park police say the suspect is a white male, 18 to 20 years old, with a slight build and long black...
At Least 6 Killed, 24 Hurt
in Parade Mass Shooting
Jul 4, 2022 12:54 PM CDT
At Least 6 Killed, 24 Hurt in Parade Mass Shooting
Witnesses describe terror, chaos at Highland Park Fourth of July parade
This story has been updated with new developments
. Police in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park say at least six people were killed and 24 injured in a mass shooting at a Fourth of July parade Monday morning. Witnesses said hundreds of people fled in panic when shooting erupted 10...
Popular on Newser
Trump Aides Struggle on White Supremacist Dinner
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
Maine Objects to Decision by Whole Foods on Lobster
DEA's Most Corrupt Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.