Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Dec 14, 2022 9:50 AM CST
College Player's First Points 'Electrified' the Crowd
Watch Hansel Emmanuel, who has just one arm, make a crowd-pleasing dunk for NSU
- Hansel Emmanuel scored his very first points as a college basketball player over the weekend, but that achievement for Louisiana's Northwestern State University is earning more headlines than your run-of-the-mill player's first baskets. That's because the 6-foot-6 teen has just one arm, though that hasn't stopped...
Brittney Griner Makes
a Fitting First Move
Dec 12, 2022 11:01 AM CST
Brittney Griner Makes a Fitting First Move
WNBA star dunks in light basketball workout
- Brittney Griner still hasn't addressed the public since her release from prison in Russia, but ESPN reports a nice development in her journey back to normalcy: She's dunking basketballs again. Griner's agent tells the outlet that the WNBA star worked out on a basketball court for the...
in Tiff With
Nov 19, 2022 11:30 AM CST
NBA Star Flings Ladder in Tiff With Arena Staffer
Milwaukee Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo lost his cool in confrontation after game in Philly
- Milwaukee star Giannis Antetokounmpo argued with an arena worker and flung a ladder away from a basket, sending it toppling over as he tried to shoot practice free throws after the Bucks' 110-102 loss to Philadelphia on Friday night. After going 4 for 15 from the line, Antetokounmpo returned to...
Mom Who Urged
Must Pay Up
Sep 16, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
Mom Who Urged Daughter to Punch Opponent Must Pay Up
Latira Shonty Hunt ordered to pay $9K in restitution
The woman who instructed her 14-year-old daughter to hit an opposing player during a basketball game, an act that resulted in a concussion, will have to pay. A judge this week ruled that Latira Shonty Hunt, 44, of La Puente, Calif., must pay $9,000 in restitution; write a...
NBA Makes Unusual
Move for Election Day
Aug 16, 2022 1:24 PM CDT
NBA Makes Unusual Move for Election Day
No games will be played on November 8, to encourage voting
- The NBA will release its 2022-23 schedule on Wednesday, but one day is already known to be a blank slate—November 8. As in, Election Day. The league announced Tuesday that no teams will play that day in order to encourage people to vote, reports Politico . Instead, all 30 teams...
Show Court a
Jul 15, 2022 7:36 AM CDT
Griner's Lawyers Show Court a Doctor's Note
In letter, doctor recommended WNBA star use medical cannabis for pain
- Brittney Griner's trial resumed in Khimki, Russia, on Friday, and a key defense argument tied her apparent use of vape cartridges to her health. Reuters reports that in the fourth hearing for the WNBA star, her lawyers told the court that Griner had been authorized to use medical cannabis...
NBA Player's Wife
'I Can't Be Silent
Jul 2, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
NBA Player's Wife on Instagram: 'I Can't Be Silent Anymore'
Charlotte Hornets' Miles Bridges charged with domestic violence; spouse posts photos online
- On Wednesday, Charlotte Hornets forward Miles Bridges was arrested for felony domestic violence, and on Friday, his wife headed to Instagram to weigh in on what's been going on. Mychelle Johnson posted a series of photos showing apparent injuries from the alleged attack, which the LAPD says took place...
He Was an NBA
in 2017, Is Now
Dead at 25
Jun 22, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
He Was an NBA First-Round Pick in 2017, Is Now Dead at 25
Caleb Swanigan was chosen by the Portland Trail Blazers in the first round that year
- Former NBA player Caleb Swanigan died Monday night at a Fort Wayne, Indiana, hospital at age 25. Swanigan, Indiana's Mr. Basketball in 2015, was a standout player for the Purdue Boilermakers when he became a first-round draft pick of the Portland Trail Blazers in 2017, ESPN reports. During his...
Jun 2, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
LeBron James Gets His 'Biggest Milestone'
'Forbes' anoints him a billionaire, making him the first active NBA player to get there
- Eight years ago, LeBron James told
that he was chasing his "biggest milestone"—achieving billionaire status. Mission accomplished, according to
. The magazine now calculates James' worth to be $1 billion, making him the first active NBA player to reach the mark. Michael Jordan made the list...
Rubio Takes Issue With
NBA Call for Gun Reform
May 26, 2022 1:07 PM CDT
Rubio Takes Issue With NBA Call for Gun Reform
Miami Heat announcer makes 'strikingly strong' call
- On Tuesday night, Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr made waves with his gun reform-focused press conference . On Wednesday, the Miami Heat made a similar move. Ahead of their playoff matchup against the Boston Celtics, the PA announcer kicked things off with this: "The Heat organization, the Boston Celtics,...
Another Ugly Incident Between
Rival Fans, an NBA Player
May 9, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Another Ugly Incident Between Rival Fans, an NBA Player
Chris Paul of Phoenix Suns says mother was touched, wife was shoved in Dallas
- This year's NBA playoffs have seen some high-profile nastiness between an NBA player and rival fans. But an incident during Sunday's game between the Phoenix Suns and Dallas Mavericks might top that, because it involves a player's family. The Mavericks removed a fan for what it called...
In Thrill-a-Minute Game,
UNC Beats Archrival Duke
Apr 3, 2022 5:21 AM CDT
In Thrill-a-Minute Game, UNC Beats Archrival Duke
Mike Krzyzewski's career ends with 81-77 loss
- For the 48th time over 47 years of unparalleled coaching, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski took the slow walk to midcourt and shook the hand of North Carolina's coach who beat him. This was the 258th, most consequential and maybe, just maybe, the very best meeting between these teams, whose...
Mar 17, 2022 11:14 AM CDT
First Footage of Detained WNBA Star Surfaces
Russia extends detention of Brittney Griner until at least May 19
- For WNBA star Brittney Griner, there will be no quick release from Russia . A court in Moscow on Thursday extended her detention until May 19 as an investigation into drug charges against her continue, reports CNN . The 31-year-old, who plays in Russia during the WBNA offseason, was arrested at a...
Steps In Over
Feb 24, 2022 8:37 AM CST
Ala. Governor Steps In Over Varsity Team's 'Troubling' Forfeit
Kay Ivey wants answers on why time change request on Sabbath couldn't be accommodated
- It was the best season ever for the Oakwood Adventist Academy's varsity boy's basketball team in Huntsville, Ala., and they were excited to be heading to regional semifinals last weekend. That game never happened, though, and now the state's governor is intervening over what the team says...
Video of Youth Coach's
Attack on Ref Goes Viral
Feb 3, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Video of Youth Coach's Attack on Ref Goes Viral
California coach was fired the next day
- A youth basketball coach has lost his job and could face charges after setting a terrible example for his 10-year-old players. Video of the coach lunging at the referee and putting his hands around his neck went viral after the Saturday incident at Sports Academy in Thousand Oaks, Calif., KTLA...
High School Coach
Jan 7, 2022 7:15 AM CST
High School Coach Suspended After 92-4 Win: 'No Mercy'
Conn. girls basketball coach Jason Kirck slammed for unsportsmanlike conduct
- If your basketball team is winning by, say, 30 points, it's usually considered unsportsmanlike to keep making fast breaks and shooting three-pointers. Jason Kirck is finding out the hard way what happens when you violate that often-unspoken sports etiquette to the extreme. The coach was handed a suspension after...
Big NBA Stat
Dec 29, 2021 12:11 AM CST
Steph Curry Notches Another Big NBA Stat
He now has 3,000 3-pointers
Two weeks after setting the NBA record for 3-pointers, Steph Curry had another big night Tuesday when the Golden State Warriors player became the first player in league history to make 3,000 3-pointers, the AP reports. Even so, the Denver Nuggets beat the Warriors 89-86. Video of No....
Disarray Due to COVID
in Sports World Continues
Dec 20, 2021 2:02 AM CST
Disarray Due to COVID in Sports World Continues
NBA postpones 5 mores games, NHL shuts down 2 more teams
- The NBA on Sunday postponed a total of five games involving nine teams in response to rising coronavirus numbers, raising the number of contests that have been pushed back this season to seven, the AP reports. Called off were three Sunday games: Cleveland at Atlanta, Denver at Brooklyn and New...
Nets to Let Irving, Still
Unvaxxed, Play in Some Games
Dec 18, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Nets to Let Irving, Still Unvaxxed, Play in Some Games
'We arrived at this decision with the full support of our players,' says GM Sean Marks
Unless Kyrie Irving decides to get vaxxed, you won't be seeing him play for the Nets in Brooklyn anytime soon. You will, however, be able to catch him on the road in certain away games, after the NBA team announced Friday they'd be bringing their All-Star guard...
Hit With $15K
Fine for Obscene
Nov 27, 2021 5:30 AM CST
LeBron James Hit With $15K Fine for Obscene Gesture
This after he'd been suspended earlier in the week for hitting Detroit center Isaiah Stewart in the face
- On Friday, LeBron James was fined $15,000 for an obscene gesture by the NBA, which also warned the Lakers superstar about using profane language. James made the gesture after making a shot late in Los Angeles' 124-116 overtime victory in Indiana on Wednesday night, reports the AP . He'd...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.