Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Supreme Court Delivers
Bad News to Alabama GOP
Sep 26, 2023 11:02 AM CDT
Supreme Court Delivers Bad News to Alabama GOP
SCOTUS will allow redrawing of congressional map to go forward, over state's objections
- The Supreme Court on Tuesday allowed the drawing of a new Alabama congressional map with greater representation for Black voters to proceed, rejecting the state's plea to retain Republican-drawn lines that were struck down by a lower court. In refusing to intervene, the justices, without any noted dissent, allowed...
With Clock Running Out, a Slew
of Big SCOTUS Cases Loom
Jun 26, 2023 6:15 AM CDT
With Clock Running Out, a Slew of Big SCOTUS Cases Loom
Affirmative action and religious and gay rights are also on the agenda before this term closes
- The Supreme Court is getting ready to decide some of its biggest cases of the term. The high court has 10 opinions left to release over the next week before the justices begin their summer break. As is typical, the last opinions to be released cover some of the most...
Surprise SCOTUS Ruling Hands
Victory to State's Black Voters
Jun 8, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Surprise SCOTUS Ruling Hands Victory to State's Black Voters
Decision orders creation of second Black-majority district in Alabama
- The Supreme Court on Thursday issued a surprising 5-4 ruling in favor of Black voters in a congressional redistricting case, ordering the creation of a second district with a large Black population, per the AP . Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh joined with the court's liberals in...
Apr 26, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Pope Approves 'Significant Crack in Stained-Glass Ceiling'
Women will have the right to vote at an upcoming meeting of bishops
- Pope Francis has decided to give women the right to vote at an upcoming meeting of bishops, and the AP reports that's a historic reform that reflects his hopes to give women greater decision-making responsibilities and laypeople more say in the life of the Catholic Church. Francis approved changes...
Voting Rights on
Mar 5, 2023 5:00 PM CST
Biden Advocates Voting Rights on Selma Pilgrimage
'The threshold of democracy' is at stake, president says in address marking 'Bloody Sunday'
- Marking the 58th anniversary of "Bloody Sunday," when Alabama state troopers clubbed and tear-gassed peaceful marchers opposing discrimination, President Biden returned to advocate new voting rights legislation. The violence that day at the Edmund Pettus Bridge outraged many Americans and helped lead to passage of the 1965 Voting...
US Sues Arizona Over
Its New Voting Law
Jul 6, 2022 4:07 PM CDT
US Sues Arizona Over Its New Voting Law
Tens of thousands could be disenfranchised without proof of citizenship, critics say
- The Justice Department is suing Arizona over a new law requiring proof of citizenship to vote in presidential elections, calling it a "textbook violation" of the National Voter Registration Act. The lawsuit filed Tuesday seeks to overturn House Bill 2492, passed in March and scheduled to take effect in...
Black Woman Who Tried to
Register to Vote Handed 6 Years
Feb 9, 2022 2:45 PM CST
Black Woman Who Tried to Register to Vote Handed 6 Years
Prosecutors alleged Pamela Moses knew she wasn't eligible to vote, submitted forms anyway
- A Black woman in Tennessee was handed a sentence of six years and one day after being found guilty of illegally registering to vote. Pamela Moses' cases is attracting national attention due to its particulars: The 44-year-old says she went through the system and just followed the process that "...
Alabama Supreme Court Ruling
Is Good News for GOP
Feb 8, 2022 12:16 AM CST
Alabama Supreme Court Ruling Is Good News for GOP
No new congressional districts must be drawn this year
- The Supreme Court put on hold a lower court ruling that Alabama must draw new congressional districts before the 2022 elections to increase Black voting power. The high court order boosts Republican chances to hold six of the state’s seven seats in the House of Representatives, the AP reports....
for Vote on
Jan 22, 2022 3:40 PM CST
Arizona Party Punishes Sinema for Vote on Filibuster
Chairwoman says voting rights are more important than Senate rules
- Three years after becoming a hero to Arizona Democrats for winning a US Senate seat long held by Republicans, Sen. Krysten Sinema was formally censured Saturday by the state party for her part in blocking voting rights legislation. The Arizona Democratic Party's executive committee cited Sinema's vote against...
Mitch McConnell Contrasts
Black Voters, American Voters
Jan 21, 2022 6:38 AM CST
Mitch McConnell Contrasts Black Voters, American Voters
Senator's rep says he misspoke, critics disagree
- Asked Wednesday to respond to voters of color concerned that they will be unable to vote in the midterm elections without passage of the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, Mitch McConnell put it this way : "The concern is misplaced because if you look at the statistics, African American...
Voting Rights Bill Collapses
Jan 20, 2022 1:18 AM CST
Voting Rights Bill Collapses
Manchin, Sinema won't vote to change filibuster rules
- Voting legislation that Democrats and civil rights leaders say is vital to protecting democracy collapsed when two senators refused to join their own party in changing Senate rules to overcome a Republican filibuster after a raw, emotional debate, the AP reports. The outcome Wednesday night was a stinging defeat for...
Giant Swing in Polls Doesn't
Bode Well for Democrats
Jan 18, 2022 12:28 PM CST
Giant Swing in Polls Doesn't Bode Well for Democrats
Gallup puts GOP up 5 points in US support, a shift from trailing by 9
- The midterm elections could spell disaster for President Biden and the Democrats, if recent polling is any indication. A new Gallup poll shows an average of 47% of Americans surveyed in the fourth quarter of 2021 identified with or leaned toward the Republican Party compared to 42% for the Democratic...
Jan 14, 2022 10:59 AM CST
A 'Seminal Moment' for Biden?
Columnists assess his bad week
- Joe Biden had one of the worst days of his presidency on Thursday—the Supreme Court shot down his workplace vaccine mandate and Sen. Kyrsten Sinema torpedoed his plan to change the filibuster and allow voting rights legislation to pass. Related coverage, especially in op-eds, has been brutal:
Sinema Won't Give on Filibuster
Jan 13, 2022 3:34 PM CST
Sinema Won't Give on Filibuster
Biden's voting rights push runs into Arizona Democrat's opposition to altering the rule
- Before President Biden could arrive at the Capitol on Thursday to lobby Senate Democrats on changing the filibuster rule and passing voting rights legislation, one of them made clear she'd be no help. Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema delivered the news in a floor speech, the
New York Times
Obama: Nix the Filibuster,
Pass Voting Rights Legislation
Jan 13, 2022 7:26 AM CST
Obama: Nix the Filibuster, Pass Voting Rights Legislation
In first op-ed since leaving office, former president calls on Senate to 'do the right thing'
- President Biden recently called for altering Senate rules if necessary to remove the obstacle of the filibuster so that voting rights legislation can be passed. Now, a big voice is joining in that same chorus. In what
says is his first op-ed since leaving office in 2017, former...
Biden: 'Turning Point' on
Voting Rights Is Coming
Jan 11, 2022 5:30 PM CST
Biden: 'Turning Point' on Voting Rights Is Coming
'Will we choose democracy over autocracy, light over shadow, justice over injustice?'
- Pounding his fist for emphasis, President Biden challenged senators on Tuesday to “stand against voter suppression," urging them to change Senate rules in order to pass voting rights legislation that Republicans are blocking from debate and votes. Biden told a crowd in Atlanta that he'd been having...
Voting Rights Bill
Jan 11, 2022 6:42 AM CST
Biden Plans Controversial Move on Voting Rights Bill
President will endorse filibuster 'carve-out' on the issue
- President Biden travels to Georgia on Tuesday to speak about voting rights, and the
New York Times
reports he will back a controversial change in Senate rules to try to get legislation passed. The president will call for the Senate to ditch the usual filibuster rules on this issue alone...
Schumer: Senate Will Vote
on Changing Filibuster
Jan 3, 2022 1:50 PM CST
Schumer: Senate Will Vote on Changing Filibuster
He says vote will be held by MLK Day
- Unless Republicans change course and stop blocking voting rights legislation , the Senate will vote this month on changing filibuster rules, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said Monday. In a letter to Democratic colleagues, Schumer said that if Republicans don't budge, "the Senate will debate and consider changes to...
Need Be for
Dec 23, 2021 5:55 PM CST
Biden: Alter Filibuster If Need Be for Voting Rights
President says he'd support working around the rule for this issue
- The Senate's filibuster rule is one of the main obstacles to passage of a voting rights law. President Biden, a longtime member of the Senate, says he no longer supports letting that barrier—which requires 60 votes to approve most measures—remain. "If the only thing standing between...
King Family: MLK Day Will Be a
Day for Action, Not Celebration
Dec 15, 2021 2:23 PM CST
King Family: MLK Day Will Be a Day for Action, Not Celebration
They want Biden to push as hard for voting rights as he did for infrastructure
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day next month shouldn't be a day of celebration unless lawmakers act on federal voting rights bills, the civil rights leader's family says. Martin Luther King III, his wife Arndrea Waters King, and their daughter Yolanda Renee King intend to mobilize activists over MLK...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
Vermont Suspect Reportedly Told ATF Agents, 'I've Been Waiting for You'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.