Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Marilyn Monroe's Former Home
Under Threat of Demolition
Sep 12, 2023 8:27 AM CDT
Marilyn Monroe's Former Home Under Threat of Demolition
Los Angeles officials considering landmark status for home in which the star died in 1962
- Los Angeles officials have intervened to prevent demolition of the only home Marilyn Monroe ever owned independently, which is also the one in which she died. City residents responded with outrage after the owners of 12305 Fifth Helena Drive applied for permits to demolish the Spanish colonial-style home in which...
Actor Gets Big
Aug 2, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Actor Gets Big Defenders After Criticism on Monroe Role
Some aren't buying Ana de Armas as Marilyn, but late icon's estate, Brad Pitt are all in
- A trailer was released last week for
, Netflix's upcoming biopic on Marilyn Monroe, and not everyone was buying the sneak-peek performance of Ana de Armas in the lead role, with criticism especially directed at the fact that the Cuban-Spanish actress's accent doesn't especially sound like the...
Ripley's Insists Kim Did Not
Damage the Marilyn Dress
Jun 17, 2022 1:40 AM CDT
Ripley's Insists Kim Did Not Damage the Marilyn Dress
As early as 2017, there was damage present, statement says
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! says you should
believe the claims that Kim Kardashian damaged Marilyn Monroe's iconic gown when she wore it to the Met Gala last month. "Kim Kardashian wearing the 'Happy Birthday' dress has been hotly contested, but the fact remains that...
Kim Kardashian May Have
Damaged the Marilyn Dress
Jun 14, 2022 1:28 PM CDT
Kim Kardashian May Have Damaged the Marilyn Dress
Photos posted by the Marilyn Monroe Collection go viral
- Kim Kardashian tempted fate when she borrowed the dress of all dresses —the one worn by Marilyn Monroe to serenade JFK—when she attended a Met gala in May. Now, the Marilyn Monroe Collection is accusing her of damaging the $4.8 million dress, reports Jezebel . The group posted...
'Buyer Got a
Deal' on Warhol's
May 10, 2022 12:03 AM CDT
'Buyer Got a Deal' on Warhol's $195M 'Marilyn'
But the painting still broke records at auction
- In less than four minutes on Monday night, Andy Warhol's iconic "Shot Sage Blue Marilyn" set a new record for the highest price any American artwork has ever fetched at auction. It's also now the most expensive 20th-century artwork ever auctioned. The 1964 silk-screen close-up of Marilyn...
Loses 16 Pounds,
Dyes Hair for Met Gala
May 3, 2022 7:07 AM CDT
Kim Kardashian Loses 16 Pounds, Dyes Hair for Met Gala
She turned herself into Marilyn Monroe, including the actual 'Happy Birthday' dress
- Kim Kardashian underwent a major transformation for Monday night's Met Gala look—she lost 16 pounds in three weeks in order to fit into an iconic dress once worn by Marilyn Monroe, and then, on the day before the Metropolitan Museum of Art's annual Costume Institute benefit gala,...
'Shot' Warhol Portrait
Expected to Fetch $200M
Mar 21, 2022 3:11 PM CDT
'Shot' Warhol Portrait Expected to Fetch $200M
'Shot Sage Blue Marilyn' likely to break record for a 20th-century painting
- Performance artist Dorothy Podber put a bullet through a stack of Andy Warhol paintings of Marilyn Monroe in 1964 but she definitely didn't destroy their value: Christie's says it expects one of them,
Shot Sage Blue Marilyn
, to fetch $200 million at a May auction, which would make...
Giant Marilyn Monroe
Statue Sparks Controversy
May 17, 2021 4:00 AM CDT
Giant Marilyn Monroe Statue Sparks Controversy
Some in Palm Springs, Calif., aren't excited to see it return
- The massive Marilyn Monroe statue whose clearly visible undies have caused drama in the past is back at it. The 26-foot-tall "Forever Marilyn" is returning to Palm Springs, Calif., permanently, after a temporary stay in the city from 2012 to 2014, NPR reports. And while many are happy to...
Relic of Legendary Celebrity
Divorce to Be Auctioned
Feb 6, 2019 11:42 AM CST
Relic of Legendary Celebrity Divorce to Be Auctioned
Black wool dress worn by Marilyn Monroe expected to fetch as much as $150K
- The black dress that a distraught Marilyn Monroe wore to a 1954 press conference announcing her separation from baseball legend Joe DiMaggio less than a year after she married him is going up for auction. The simple wool dress with a zippered turtleneck front will be up for bidding starting...
Will Help You Pray
Like Marilyn Monroe
Oct 16, 2018 7:11 AM CDT
Battered Book Will Help You Pray Like Marilyn Monroe
Actress' Jewish prayer book may fetch up to $8K at auction
- A Jewish prayer book that once belonged to Marilyn Monroe will hit the auction block in New York next month, where it's expected to fetch up to $8,000. The book has notes believed to be written by the actress around the time she converted to Judaism in 1956,...
Long-Lost Marilyn Monroe
Nude Scene Discovered
in case you missed it
Aug 18, 2018 2:00 PM CDT
Long-Lost Marilyn Monroe Nude Scene Discovered
It was locked in a cabinet for decades
- A Marilyn Monroe nude scene that people thought had been destroyed long ago has been rediscovered—but it's not clear whether it will ever be released. The scene from 1961's
, the last movie that Monroe completed before her death, was kept by producer Frank Taylor, and...
Jun 9, 2018 2:30 PM CDT
Cheeky Artwork: Marilyn Statue Gets Mixed Reviews
The sculpture's larger-than-life caboose faces a nearby church
- Marilyn Monroe's rear is getting some leers in Connecticut. A 26-foot statue of the actor has been placed in a Stamford park across the street from a church, which is getting a full view of her behind, reports the AP . It depicts the famous scene from 1955's
Ex-Mormon Borrows Password,
Finds Improper Celeb Baptisms
Dec 21, 2017 11:20 AM CST
Ex-Mormon Borrows Password, Finds Improper Celeb Baptisms
Including Marilyn Monroe
- Mormons are posthumously baptizing Holocaust victims, as well as grandparents of public figures like Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, and Steven Spielberg, despite church rules intended to restrict the ceremonies to a member's ancestors, according to a researcher who has spent two decades monitoring the church's massive genealogical database....
Spent $75K to Be
Buried Next to
Sep 28, 2017 2:47 PM CDT
Hugh Hefner Spent $75K to Be Buried Next to Marilyn Monroe
He bought the crypt next to hers in 1992
- Marilyn Monroe was there when Hugh Hefner started
—appearing on the cover of the first issue in 1953*—and will apparently be joined to Hefner permanently in the afterlife. TMZ reports Hefner, who died Wednesday at the age of 91, will be buried in a crypt immediately to the...
Dress Sells for
400 Times Its
Nov 18, 2016 9:53 AM CST
Marilyn's 'Birthday' Dress Sells for 400 Times Its Original Cost
Ripley's scoops it up for $4.8M
- It might be the most famous birthday serenade in history, and a new auction only underscores the point. The silk dress worn by Marilyn Monroe when she sang "Happy Birthday" to President Kennedy at Madison Square Garden in 1962 has just sold for $4.8 million, reports CNN .
Letter Up for Auction
May 11, 2016 2:33 AM CDT
Desperate Marilyn Monroe Letter Up for Auction
She wrote to doctor about harrowing clinic experience
- A carbon copy of a letter in which a troubled woman describes her enforced stay in a New York psychiatric clinic will be auctioned off this November—and since that woman is Marilyn Monroe, it's expected to sell for thousands of dollars. In the March 1961 letter to psychiatrist...
Old House May
Get LA Politician
Apr 9, 2016 12:09 PM CDT
Marilyn Monroe's Old House May Get LA Politician Recalled
The house was demolished in June to make way for a condo
- A Los Angeles city council member may lose his job because someone tore down a house once occupied by Marilyn Monroe, the
Los Angeles Daily News
reports. Monroe lived in the Valley Village house a few miles north of Hollywood six decades ago, when she was 17-year-old Norma Jean Dougherty....
Up for Auction:
Nov 12, 2014 10:58 AM CST
Up for Auction: Marilyn Monroe's Love Letters
Including notes from Joe DiMaggio, Arthur Miller
- It's no secret Joe DiMaggio loved Marilyn Monroe. The baseball great cried at her funeral and for 20 years had flowers placed at her crypt several times a week. The public displays were unusual for the famously stoic and private DiMaggio. Now, his heartbreak over the breakup of their...
7 Celebrity Ghosts
Sep 27, 2014 1:59 PM CDT
7 Celebrity Ghosts
These stars have supposedly been spotted after their deaths
- It's one thing to see a ghost—but a celebrity ghost? The Stir rounds up 15 late stars rumored to haunt the living, including:
A TV crew claims to have spotted his ghost at Neverland Ranch.
Her ghost has reportedly been sighted at her grave,
10 Eerie Hollywood Deaths
Nov 23, 2013 1:19 PM CST
10 Eerie Hollywood Deaths
Mysterious circumstances surround these celebrities
- Brittany Murphy's sudden death has always been mysterious, especially when it was followed by the death of her husband, months later, apparently from the same cause. Now her dad wants the investigation into Murphy's death re-opened, because he thinks she was poisoned. The Huffington Post rounds up 30...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
'There Has to Be Consequences' for Kevin McCarthy's Ouster
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.