Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
What Happened When Chicago
Gave Her $500 a Month
Nov 19, 2023 6:01 AM CST
What Happened When Chicago Gave Her $500 a Month
A look at how one woman's life was impacted by the yearlong Resilient Communities Pilot
- You hear about them every so often: pilot programs that give a select group of people a guaranteed income for a specific amount of time in a quest to see if such an approach can make a difference in the fight against poverty. In a deep dive for
Crashes, Injuring Dozens
Nov 16, 2023 5:55 PM CST
Commuter Train Crashes, Injuring Dozens
- A commuter train collided with rail equipment Thursday morning in Chicago, injuring nearly 40 people, some of them critically, fire officials said. The city's Fire Department said the Chicago Transit Authority train crashed into snow-removal equipment just before 10:35am on the North Side near the Howard CTA station....
Chicago Defendant Gets
7 Years in Officer's Death
Oct 12, 2023 4:25 PM CDT
Chicago Defendant Gets 7 Years in Officer's Death
Ella French, 29, was killed during a traffic stop
- A 25-year-old man pleaded guilty and was sentenced Thursday in the fatal 2021 shooting of Chicago police officer Ella French. Eric Morgan received a term of seven years in prison after entering the plea to charges of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, battery, and obstruction of justice, the AP...
964 Birds Fatally Strike
Chicago Building in One Night
Oct 9, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
964 Birds Fatally Strike Chicago Building in One Night
The sheer amount of migrating birds to die in a single night is called an 'outlier'
- On a typical morning, as many as 15 birds might be found dead outside Chicago's McCormick Place Lakeside Center, having fatally struck the building the night prior. On Thursday morning, a nearly unimaginable 964 of them were found dead, and another 80 were found stunned but still alive, according...
Plane Started Taxiing, Then:
'You Just Heard a Screech'
Oct 7, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
Plane Started Taxiing, Then: 'You Just Heard a Screech'
2 injured after small passenger aircraft slams into shuttle bus at Chicago's O'Hare
- A small passenger plane from Chicago to Ohio never got off the ground Friday evening after a shuttle bus slammed into it at O'Hare International Airport. Federal Aviation Administration officials say the bus hit an Air Wisconsin Bombardier CRJ-200 aircraft holding around 50 people, sending two bus passengers to...
United Auto Workers
Strike Just Got Bigger
Sep 29, 2023 10:29 AM CDT
United Auto Workers Strike Just Got Bigger
7K more workers will target Ford plant in Chicago, GM factory near Lansing, Michigan
- The United Auto Workers union says its two-week strike against Detroit automakers will spread to 7,000 more workers at a Ford plant in Chicago and a General Motors assembly factory near Lansing, Michigan, reports the AP . Union President Shawn Fain told workers on a video appearance Friday that negotiations...
Former NFL Player Missing
After Mother's Body Found
Sep 18, 2023 11:52 AM CDT
Former NFL Player Missing After Mother's Body Found
Police near Chicago are looking for Sergio Brown
- Police in suburban Chicago are looking for a former NFL player after the body of his 73-year-old mother was found by a creek behind her home, reports WBBM . Authorities say Myrtle Brown appears to have been killed during an assault in Maywood, per the AP . They are now looking for...
After 2 Shot in
Sep 1, 2023 7:56 AM CDT
After 2 Shot in Chicago Ballpark, Speculation Reigns
Police have yet to determine whether the shots came from inside or outside the stadium
- Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf says he's "done a deep dive" into a shooting that injured two women attending a White Sox game at Chicago's Guaranteed Rate Field a week ago and "I don't see any way in the world that the shots could...
On Migrant Bus From Texas
to Chicago, a 'Tragic Situation'
Aug 12, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
On Migrant Bus From Texas to Chicago, a 'Tragic Situation'
3-year-old dies after health issues during trip, part of Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's Operation Lone Star
- A 3-year-old traveling on a bus of asylum-seekers headed from Texas to Chicago died before reaching that destination. ABC News reports that confirmation of the child's death came via a spokesperson for the Illinois Department of Public Health, who noted the agency is working with local and state law...
Remains at Indiana Farm
Are From 1980s Serial Killer
Jul 27, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Remains at Indiana Farm Are From 1980s Serial Killer
After four decades, authorities finally able to identify teen victim Keith Lavell Bibbs
- Human remains found buried in 1983 at an abandoned Indiana farm have been identified as those of a Chicago teenager who was a victim of the late serial killer Larry Eyler, per the AP . The remains, which were found near the remains of three young men Eyler also killed, are...
Jackson to Step Down
From Civil Rights Organization
Jul 14, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Jackson to Step Down From Civil Rights Organization
Activist founded Rainbow PUSH Coalition in 1971
- The Rev. Jesse Jackson, a protégé of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and a civil rights leader in his own right for more than 60 years, announced Friday that he's retiring as president of the Rainbow PUSH Coalition. Jackson, 81, told the news to volunteers for the...
Hundreds of Flights
Disrupted by Tornado
Near Chicago Airport
Jul 13, 2023 12:27 AM CDT
Hundreds of Flights Disrupted by Tornado Near Chicago Airport
Twister touched down near O'Hare
- A tornado touched down Wednesday evening near Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, prompting passengers to take shelter and disrupting hundreds of flights, the AP reports. There were no immediate reports of injuries. A confirmed tornado was on the ground around 7pm, according to the National Weather Service in Chicago....
Passenger's Rage Over Meal
Leads to Unscheduled Stop
Jul 11, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Passenger's Rage Over Meal Leads to Unscheduled Stop
Business-class customer reportedly wasn't happy with the options available; United flight is diverted
- A United Airlines flight had to divert just two hours into what should have been a 9.5-hour journey Sunday after a business-class passenger became enraged over meal options. According to the
, the passenger, who would've paid around $7,000 for the upgraded seat, caused a fuss after...
Billionaire James Crown
Killed After Crashing Race Car
Jun 27, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Billionaire James Crown Killed After Crashing Race Car
Chicago businessman was racing on his 70th birthday in Colorado
- Racing at an Aspen, Colorado, racetrack on his 70th birthday Sunday, billionaire James Crown was killed when he crashed into an impact barrier. "He was driving a race car, and it hit a wall going around a curve," his father, billionaire financier Lester Crown, tells the
Here Are the Best Cities in
America for a Staycation
Jun 11, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
Here Are the Best Cities in America for a Staycation
Honolulu tops WalletHub's list
- Want to save your wallet this summer and hover closer to home for some R&R? Those contemplating a "staycation" might want to check out WalletHub's latest rankings , which lists which US cities are best for such homebound holidays. The site looked at more than 180 of the...
O'Hare Airport Brawl
Caught on Video
May 25, 2023 2:39 PM CDT
O'Hare Airport Brawl Caught on Video
Some people ended up on conveyor belts in fight in baggage reclaim area
- Even seasoned viewers of airport altercations might be surprised by the scale of a brawl that erupted in Chicago's O'Hare airport Monday night. Video shows around dozen people fighting in the baggage claim area as others try to break it up. Some people ended up fighting on the...
Trump Wins Big Tax Case
Over His Chicago Skyscraper
Apr 26, 2023 11:29 AM CDT
Trump Wins Big Tax Case Over His Chicago Skyscraper
After years of legal wrangling, former president, investors to recoup $1M in property tax refunds
- For more than a decade, former President Trump and other owners of the Trump International Hotel & Tower in Chicago have sought to recoup a hefty property tax refund on the building. Now, it looks like Trump can claim success in this longtime battle: On Monday, the Illinois Appellate Court...
They Were Visiting Chicago,
Got Attacked by Teen Mob
Apr 20, 2023 1:35 PM CDT
They Were Visiting Chicago, Got Attacked by Teen Mob
Bystander says she 'literally got in front of a police car,' but officers drove around her
- Chicago police have launched an internal investigation after claims that officers drove right by a couple who were being beaten by a mob. Ashley Knutson, 20, and Devontae "DJ" Garrisson-Johnson, 22, were visiting the city from South Carolina on Saturday when they went looking for a place to eat...
DNC Picks a Home for 2024
Apr 11, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
DNC Picks a Home for 2024
Chicago beats out Atlanta in something of a surprise
- Democrats have chosen Chicago to host their 2024 national convention, reports the AP , trying to keep the party's momentum going after last fall's midterm success in the critical Midwest. The decision, confirmed by a Democratic official who spoke on Tuesday on the condition of anonymity before an official...
Apr 4, 2023 11:21 PM CDT
Lori Lightfoot's Successor Has Been Determined
Brandon Johnson wins runoff election over the more conservative candidate
- Union organizer and former teacher Brandon Johnson will be the next mayor of Chicago. Johnson won Tuesday's runoff election over the police union-backed Paul Vallas, in what the AP calls "a major victory for the Democratic Party’s progressive wing" in the city. Johnson will succeed Lori Lightfoot,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Prosecutors: Inmate Stabbed Chauvin 22 Times
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.