Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Acute' Need at Border
Spurs a Big Biden Reversal
Oct 5, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
'Acute' Need at Border Spurs a Big Biden Reversal
Administration waives 26 federal laws to clear way for new wall construction in Texas
- Three years ago, Joe Biden vowed that, if elected, he'd never erect a single new section of border wall between the United States and Mexico. Now, President Biden has rethought that, due to an "acute" need to keep illegal immigration at bay. The AP reports the commander in...
Now Elon Musk Is
Weighing in on Migrants
Sep 29, 2023 11:17 AM CDT
Now Elon Musk Is Weighing in on Migrants
Billionaire calls for 'greatly expanded legal immigration' during visit to southern border
- Elon Musk has a foot in many industries. Now, he's dipping a toe in the immigration debate, offering his suggestions for how to address an influx of migrants reaching the US across the Rio Grande. The billionaire CEO of SpaceX and Tesla and owner of X traveled to the...
Out of the Rio Grande,
a 'Troubling' Report
Aug 3, 2023 6:46 AM CDT
Out of the Rio Grande, a 'Troubling' Report
Mexican officials say 2 bodies have been found along Texas' controversial floating barrier
- Despite warnings over possible dangers , as well as a lawsuit from the Justice Department, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott hasn't budged on removing the floating barrier in the middle of the Rio Grande, part of his state's efforts to keep migrants from crossing over from Mexico. Now, two bodies...
SCOTUS Upholds Law Used
to Convict 'Adult Adoption' Man
Jun 23, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
SCOTUS Upholds Law Used to Convict 'Adult Adoption' Man
High Court finds that it's OK to prosecute those who 'encourage' illegal immigration
- The Supreme Court on Friday upheld a section of federal law used to prosecute people who encourage illegal immigration, ruling against a California man who offered adult adoptions he falsely claimed would lead to US citizenship. The court by a 7-2 vote rejected arguments that the law is too broad...
SCOTUS Gives White House
a Big Win on Immigration
Jun 23, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
SCOTUS Gives White House a Big Win on Immigration
Justices say GOP-led states lacked standing to sue over who should get deported
- The Supreme Court on Friday rejected a Republican-led challenge to a Biden administration policy that prioritizes the deportation of immigrants who are deemed to pose the greatest risk to public safety. The justices voted 8-1 to allow the long-blocked policy to take effect, recognizing there is not enough money or...
No More 'Aliens'
Sep 26, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
No More 'Aliens' In California
Gov. Newsom strikes 'offensive' word from state law
- California will strike the word "alien" from the books. Fresh off his recall election blowout , Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Friday he's signed legislation removing the "offensive" term and replacing it in state law with "non-citizen" and "immigrant," per Axios , which notes the term has...
Last Words: 'No, I'm Good'
Aug 26, 2020 7:00 PM CDT
Native American's Last Words: 'No, I'm Good'
Lezmond Mitchell has died by lethal injection in Indiana
- The only Native American on federal death row was put to death Wednesday, despite objections from many Navajo leaders who had urged President Trump to halt the execution on the grounds it would violate tribal culture and sovereignty, the AP reports. With the execution of Lezmond Mitchell for the grisly...
CBP Takes 7-Year-Old Into
Custody. She Had Only Hours
Dec 14, 2019 11:00 AM CST
CBP Takes 7-Year-Old Into Custody. She Had Only Hours
Seems she hadn't eaten or drunk water for days
- A 7-year-old migrant girl died after the Border Patrol took her into custody last week—which is likely to increase scrutiny of CBP facilities as families pour over the southwest border in record numbers, the
reports. The girl, still unidentified, was apprehended with her father and 161 others...
Worker Hurt in New Orleans
Collapse Gets Shown the Door
Nov 30, 2019 7:50 PM CST
Worker Hurt in New Orleans Collapse Gets Shown the Door
Delmer Joel Ramirez Palma, 38, was flown to Honduras
- A construction worker hurt in last month’s collapse of the Hard Rock Hotel construction site in New Orleans has been deported to his native Honduras on Friday, the AP reports. The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman Bryan Cox said Delmer Joel Ramirez Palma, 38, was flown to Honduras...
Biden to Protester:
'You Should Vote for Trump'
Nov 23, 2019 10:45 AM CST
Biden to Protester: 'You Should Vote for Trump'
Joe Biden was confronted by activists at Lander University in South Carolina
- Joe Biden got a little frustrated with protesters at a town hall event Thursday and even told one of them to go "vote for Trump," Fox News reports. Speaking before roughly 800 people at Lander University in Greenwood, SC, Biden was confronted by an immigration activist who compared...
Court Looks Ready to Give
Trump Wish on Immigrants
Nov 12, 2019 2:22 PM CST
Court Looks Ready to Give Trump Wish on Immigrants
But we won't know fate of DACA for sure until the spring
- It's a big day for Dreamers—the nickname given to young US immigrants brought here illegally by their parents. The Supreme Court on Tuesday heard arguments on whether the Trump administration can end an Obama-era program that protects the immigrants from deportation and allows them to work legally. No...
The Immigration Numbers
Are in—With a Big Surprise
Oct 20, 2019 3:30 PM CDT
The Immigration Numbers Are in—With a Big Surprise
The Census Bureau released data from the Brookings Institution
- New immigration data includes one no-brainer—that immigration influx is down—and one possible surprise about where immigrants are choosing to live, City Lab reports. Released by the Census Bureau and gathered by a Brookings Institution demographer, the analysis says America's immigrant population grew by only 200,000 from...
Trump Has New Plan
for Migrants' DNA
Oct 2, 2019 6:45 PM CDT
Trump Has New Plan for Migrants' DNA
The DNA would be placed in a huge crime database
- The Trump administration is planning to expand the collection of DNA from migrants who cross US borders, and to include the information in a massive criminal database operated by the FBI, the AP reports. The effort is separate from and much broader than the rapid DNA testing done on families...
Feel Like Shouting
Not Smart in NYC
Oct 1, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
Feel Like Shouting 'Speak English'? Not Smart in NYC
City issues ban on discriminatory rhetoric like 'illegal alien,' threatening to call ICE to harass
- New York City is cracking down on xenophobia, with new guidelines that ban calling people "illegal aliens" in an attempt to "demean, humiliate, or harass" them; threatening to call Immigration and Customs Enforcement in an attempt to discriminate; or telling anyone to "speak English" or "go...
Inside the Aftermath of the
Huge Mississippi ICE Raid
Aug 9, 2019 4:15 AM CDT
Inside the Aftermath of the Huge Mississippi ICE Raid
Agency says some were let go for humanitarian reasons
- Mississippi residents rallied around terrified children left with no parents and migrants locked themselves in their homes for fear of being arrested Thursday, a day after the United States' largest immigration raid in a decade . A total of 680 people were arrested in Wednesday's raids, but more than 300...
Hotels Get Caught in
Jul 21, 2019 4:45 PM CDT
Hotels Get Caught in Immigration Crossfire
Several say they will no longer house migrants
- There's a new target in the clash over immigration: hotels. Advocacy groups and unions are pressuring Marriott, MGM, and others not to house migrants who have been arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers, the AP reports. For decades, the US government has occasionally detained migrants in hotels, and...
Planned ICE Sweep Turns
Into Coffee and Doughnuts
Jul 14, 2019 5:10 PM CDT
Planned ICE Sweep Turns Into Coffee and Doughnuts
Officials opt for a few low-key raids instead
- A federal plan to detain at least 2,000 immigrants in a nationwide sweep Sunday has devolved into a handful of low-key raids with few if any arrests, the
New York Times
reports. The plan for ICE agents to dramatically round up immigrants who have removal orders—which was highly...
To Cover US Deal,
Will Sell His Plane
Jun 13, 2019 1:14 PM CDT
To Cover US Deal, Mexico's President Will Sell His Plane
Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador flies commercial anyway
- Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador plans to fulfill a 2018 campaign promise to sell the country's presidential plane—though the estimated $150 million won't go to help poor communities as he initially stated. As the BBC reports, funds from the sale of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner will...
Border Agents Set a Record,
Detaining 1K People at Once
May 30, 2019 4:15 PM CDT
Border Agents Set a Record, Detaining 1K People at Once
Immigrants are traveling in large groups more often
- Border agents took more than 1,000 migrants into custody near El Paso, Texas, after they crossed into the US illegally Wednesday, officials say—the largest group ever encountered by the Border Patrol, per NBC . More immigrants have been traveling in large groups recently, advocates say, for safety. Medical teams...
Shanahan Reveals Plan
for Border Security
May 11, 2019 11:17 AM CDT
Shanahan Reveals Plan for Border Security
The acting defense secretary wants to leave the Pentagon behind
- On a trip to a border city in Texas, acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said Saturday he intends to accelerate planning to secure the border and bolster the government's ability to accomplish that without the Pentagon's continuous help, the AP reports. Shanahan told reporters traveling with him to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.