Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Supreme Court's First Female Justice Dead at 93
Vincent Van Gogh
Stories 1 - 20 |
Stolen van Gogh Was
Returned in Ikea Bag
Sep 12, 2023 5:17 PM CDT
Stolen van Gogh Was Returned in Ikea Bag
Dutch art detective said it had become a 'hot potato' in criminal underworld
- A Dutch art detective known as the "Indiana Jones of the art world" has recovered a Vincent van Gogh painting stolen from a museum in Amsterdam during a COVID lockdown in March 2020. In a video posted on Instagram Tuesday, Arthur Brand displayed the 1884 painting
Parsonage Garden at
Court Tells Museum to Keep
Disputed van Gogh for Now
Jan 26, 2023 5:50 PM CST
Court Tells Museum to Keep Disputed van Gogh for Now
Brazilian collector says he bought the painting in 2017
- A federal appeals court has ordered a Detroit museum to hold on to an 1888 painting by Vincent van Gogh amid a Brazilian collector's dispute with the museum over ownership of the painting. Wednesday's order from the 6th US Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati comes days after...
Sale of Microsoft
Nov 10, 2022 8:19 AM CST
Sale of Microsoft Co-Founder's Art Smashes Records
It's the most valuable private collection ever auctioned at $1.5B—with 95 lots still to go
- Christie's $1 billion estimate of the value of Paul Allen's art collection turned out to be just a bit off. Sixty pieces sold for a combined $1.5 billion on Wednesday in the first of a two-day auction in New York—smashing the $922 million record for the...
Van Gogh Painting
Gets a Soup Bath
by Climate Activists
Oct 14, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Van Gogh Painting Gets a Soup Bath by Climate Activists
'Sunflowers' wasn't harmed after 'Just Stop Oil' protesters vandalized it in London's National Gallery
- Let's start off with the good news: The 1888 version of Vincent Van Gogh's
is just fine, even after it just got tomato soup dumped all over it. The bad news, at least for the pair of climate activists that carried out the vandalism, is that they'...
Van Gogh Self-Portrait
Jul 14, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Museum Uncovers Van Gogh Self-Portrait
X-ray shows the artist on the flip side of Head of a Peasant Woman
- Ownership of Van Gogh's Head of a Peasant Woman comes with a bonus: An X-ray has shown a self-portrait of the artist is on the reverse side of the 1885 canvas. "Such a major discovery happens once, twice in a conservator's lifetime," said Lesley Stevenson, senior...
New Van Gogh
Sep 17, 2021 3:01 AM CDT
New Van Gogh Drawing Identified
The study for 'Worn Out' will be on display at the Van Gogh Museum until 2022
- The world has a new Vincent van Gogh work, or at least a newly identified one. A pencil drawing of an old man, determined to be an earlier version of Van Gogh's "Worn Out," has been authenticated by Amsterdam's Van Gogh Museum as a work of...
We Owe an Indescribable Debt
to van Gogh's Sister-in-Law
Apr 25, 2021 1:26 PM CDT
We Owe an Indescribable Debt to van Gogh's Sister-in-Law
Jo van Gogh-Bonger got his paintings out into the world
- As the saying goes, "Behind every great man is a great woman"—even if it's not his woman. In a lengthy piece for the
New York Times Magazine
, Russell Shorto makes the case that this applies to Vincent van Gogh and his sister-in-law, Jo van Gogh-Bonger, whose...
Months Later, Arrest in
Brazen Pandemic Art Heists
Apr 7, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Months Later, Arrest in Brazen Pandemic Art Heists
Man accused of stealing two paintings from two different museums in the Netherlands
- More than a year after a Van Gogh was stolen from a shuttered Dutch museum early in the COVID-19 pandemic, an arrest has been made in that case—as well as another art heist that also took place in the Netherlands, at a different museum, months later. A 58-year-old Dutch...
Van Gogh's Deliriums
Tied to Alcohol Withdrawal
Nov 8, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Van Gogh's Deliriums Tied to Alcohol Withdrawal
Forced withdrawal in hospital may have triggered 'unbearable hallucinations'
- More than a century after his death, people remain fascinated with Vincent Van Gogh's life, particularly the last few years , which were marked by mental illness. Indeed, a new study focusing on that most-productive period suggests he didn't have schizophrenia but may have been suffering from delirium linked...
Clue to Van Gogh's Final Hours
Was Hiding in Plain Sight
Jul 29, 2020 1:02 PM CDT
Clue to Van Gogh's Final Hours Was Hiding in Plain Sight
Postcard pinpoints the exact place where he painted 'Tree Roots'
- The exact location where Vincent van Gogh painted his last work has been pinpointed after being hidden in plain view for years among a tangle of roots next to a rural lane near Paris. Experts say the discovery sheds new light on the anguished painter's mental state on the...
'Proof of Life' Photos of
Stolen Van Gogh Emerge
Jun 19, 2020 7:01 AM CDT
'Proof of Life' Photos of Stolen Van Gogh Emerge
Art detective says thief could be looking for a buyer
- The Vincent van Gogh painting stolen from a Dutch museum in March has turned up—in a pair of photographs . The "proof of life" photos show the front and back of the small painting,
Parsonage Garden at Nuenen in Spring
, next to a copy of the
New York Times
Letter by 2 Great
Artists Sells for
Jun 17, 2020 10:25 AM CDT
Only Known Letter by 2 Great Artists Sells for Big Bucks
1888 letter was written weeks before Van Gogh, Gauguin's relationship soured
- The Vincent Van Gogh Foundation has purchased the only known letter signed by artists Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Gauguin at an auction in Paris. The cost of the four sheets of paper: $237,700, per Reuters . The artists penned the letter to fellow painter Emile Bernard in early November...
Watch an Art Thief in Action
Apr 23, 2020 6:35 PM CDT
Watch an Art Thief in Action
It's less sophisticated that you might imagine
- All it took was a few sturdy swings with a sledgehammer and a prized painting by Vincent van Gogh was gone, per the AP . A Dutch crime-busting television show has aired security camera footage showing how an art thief smashed his way through reinforced glass doors at a museum in...
Museum Shuttered by
Virus 'Shocked' by Theft
Mar 30, 2020 12:15 PM CDT
Museum Shuttered by Virus 'Shocked' by Theft
Vincent van Gogh painting taken from Singer museum in Laren
- A Dutch museum that was closed because of the coronavirus pandemic had a very unwelcome visitor or visitors in the wee hours of Monday morning: a thief or thieves who made off with a Vincent van Gogh painting. The
reports the 1884 work,
was taken around 3:...
Van Gogh Painting Deemed
Authentic: 'a Cry of Anguish'
Jan 21, 2020 8:03 AM CST
Van Gogh Painting Deemed Authentic: 'a Cry of Anguish'
1889 self-portrait said to be only piece the Dutch artist created while suffering from psychosis
- Vincent Van Gogh was never known for sure to have painted any pieces when he suffered from psychosis—until now. On Monday, art experts declared that a dour self-portrait hanging in Amsterdam's Van Gogh Museum, a painting that's been the subject of much speculation for 50 years, is...
You Know His
Name. Now Meet
His $183K 'Suicide Gun'
Jun 20, 2019 7:49 AM CDT
You Know His Name. Now Meet His $183K 'Suicide Gun'
Revolver linked to Vincent Van Gogh has a new owner
- Someone just paid six figures for a corroded gun that almost certainly doesn't shoot. But then, the point of having "the most famous weapon in the history of art” isn't to use it—as Vincent Van Gogh allegedly did, fatally. The 7mm Lefaucheux revolver sold at a...
Discovery Sheds Light
on Van Gogh's Life
Mar 18, 2019 12:29 PM CDT
Discovery Sheds Light on Van Gogh's Life
House renovation reveals prayer book and insurance policies
- Renovation on a south London house where Vincent van Gogh once lived has unearthed documents that could fill in gaps in the artist's life. The papers include insurance policies and an 1867 prayer book, the
reports. Van Gogh lived in the house for only a bit more than...
Number of Vincent Van Gogh
Photographs Cut in Half
Dec 1, 2018 6:29 AM CST
Number of Vincent Van Gogh Photographs Cut in Half
Image long believed to show famous artist is actually his brother
- The number of verified photos of painter Vincent van Gogh just got cut in half. New research suggests that a photo of a boy heretofore believed to show Vincent at age 13 actually portrays his brother, the then-15-year-old Theo van Gogh, the
reports. That leaves just one photo of...
Fla. Couple Wins
Fight With City Over
Jul 18, 2018 9:59 AM CDT
Fla. Couple Wins Fight With City Over
Mount Dora cited pair, told them they had to paint over Van Gogh tribute
- A Florida mayor must apologize to a couple fined thousands of dollars for having their home's exterior painted to emulate a Vincent van Gogh masterpiece. The Mount Dora City Council unanimously agreed Tuesday that Lubomir Jastrzebski and Nancy Nemhauser can keep the blue-and-yellow paint swirled on their walls in...
There's a Dead Body
Hiding in 1889 Van Gogh
In Case You Missed It
Nov 11, 2017 9:24 AM CST
There's a Dead Body Hiding in 1889 Van Gogh
It belongs to an unlucky grasshopper
- Painting outdoors allowed Vincent Van Gogh a firsthand look at the landscapes that would become the subjects of his masterpieces. But the routine wasn't without, well, pests. As part of a study of 104 paintings from France, conservator Mary Schafer at Kansas City's Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art recently...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Historic Lead Pipe Proposal Is a 'Pediatrician's Dream'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.