Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This City Is Your
Best Prospect for Love
Dec 5, 2023 11:14 AM CST
This City Is Your Best Prospect for Love
Seattle is No. 1 on WalletHub's list of cities friendly to singles
- Looking for love in all the wrong places? If you're been striking out, you might just need to relocate to a more amenable place. WalletHub tries to suss out which US cities are best for singles, looking at more than 180 of the nation's largest cities across nearly...
This Is the Most
Fun City in America
Dec 4, 2023 7:00 PM CST
This Is the Most Fun City in America
Las Vegas tops WalletHub's list
- "Work hard, play hard" isn't just a Wiz Khalifa song—it's the mantra of many a worker who needs hard-core recreation to look forward to to get through the workweek. That kind of fun is easy to find in certain cities, per WalletHub , which looked at 182...
Famed 'Pulitzer Prize House'
Could Be Yours—for $2M
Nov 28, 2023 1:59 PM CST
Famed 'Pulitzer Prize House' Could Be Yours—for $2M
Not one, not 2, but 3 winners of the esteemed prize have lived in this Atlanta 'oasis'
- Can literary genius hover around a home like a ghost, ready to be absorbed by the abode's next purchaser? An Atlanta residence that has housed not one, not two, but three Pulitzer Prize winners is now on the market, so a lucky future owner (or owners) is about to...
Nov 27, 2023 2:51 PM CST
These Are the Most Sinful Cities in America
Las Vegas ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list, while Pearl City, Hawaii, proves most virtuous
- Christian teachings have long warned against the seven deadly sins, yet since the beginning of time, humans just can't seem to lick their related vices. WalletHub wanted to see which US cities are rife with people acting "illicitly," so it examined more than 180 of the largest...
This Isn't the Sort of Notification
You Want to See Midflight
Nov 10, 2023 10:22 AM CST
This Isn't the Sort of Notification You Want to See Midflight
Passenger reports getting bomb threat via AirDrop on Frontier flight to Atlanta; plane landed safely
- A Frontier Airlines flight from Maryland to Georgia made it safely to the ground after a passenger made a frightening report midair. WSB reports that Flight 1571 departed from Baltimore at around 7:30pm local time on Thursday, but as the plane cruised through the air, a passenger pulled a...
'Hollywood of the South'
Struggles Amid Strikes
Nov 5, 2023 3:25 PM CST
'Hollywood of the South' Struggles Amid Strikes
Atlanta, once booming with work for crew and actors, is now at a virtual standstill
- A lighting technician is mowing lawns. A camera assistant is teaching guitar again. An actor has thought about shifting careers. For more than a decade, work had been nonstop in Atlanta's booming film industry, thanks to Georgia's extremely generous tax break. Dubbed the "Hollywood of the South,...
Dozens Indicted on RICO
Charges Over 'Cop City'
Sep 6, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Dozens Indicted on RICO Charges Over 'Cop City'
Protesters don't want a police and firefighter training facility in the Atlanta area
- Sixty-one people have been indicted in Georgia on racketeering charges following a state investigation into protests against a planned police and firefighter training facility in the Atlanta area that critics call "Cop City." In the sweeping indictment released Tuesday, Republican Attorney General Chris Carr alleged the defendants are...
Best, Worst Cities to Retire
Sep 5, 2023 4:08 PM CDT
Best, Worst Cities to Retire
The Sunshine State is well represented in the top 10, while the Golden State dominates the bottom
- Those lucky enough to be looking to retire might also be looking for the best places in which to do so—and maybe save a coin or two by relocating to a new location. WalletHub notes that the average age of American retirement has stretched from 60 in 1995 to...
11 Sent to Hospital After
Turbulent Delta Flight
Aug 30, 2023 9:04 AM CDT
11 Sent to Hospital After Turbulent Delta Flight
'Severe turbulence' struck as the plane approached Atlanta on Tuesday
- Delta Air Lines Flight 175 landed safely in Atlanta on Tuesday, but with many injured people on board. At least 11 passengers and crew members were taken to the hospital after the flight, which set out from Milan, Italy, "experienced severe turbulence" in its approach to Atlanta, the airline...
He Tried to Rob the Nail
Salon. It Didn't Quite Work
Jul 8, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
He Tried to Rob the Nail Salon. It Didn't Quite Work
Customers, staff ignore man's demands for money in Atlanta incident
- Usually when someone enters a building with what appears to be a weapon and yells "Everybody get down!," people scurry to get down. Not in this Georgia nail salon, where patrons and staff members didn't seem at all fazed by a criminal wannabe's attempts to rob...
This Is America's
Friendliest LGBTQ+ City
Jun 13, 2023 4:16 PM CDT
This Is America's Friendliest LGBTQ+ City
San Francisco takes the top spot in LawnStarter's rankings, while Florida's Hialeah falls to the bottom
- It's almost the midway point in Pride Month, the celebration and commemoration of LGBTQ+ pride, with events taking place nationwide—including at the White House . LawnStarter decided to scout out what parts of the country are most pride-friendly, looking at 20 metrics for 200 of the America's largest...
Jun 6, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Amid Protests, Officials OK Funding for 'Cop City'
Atlanta City Council approves tens of millions to build training center for police, firefighters
- The Atlanta City Council early Tuesday approved funding for the construction of a proposed police and firefighter training center, rejecting the pleas of hundreds of activists who packed City Hall and spoke for hours in fierce opposition to the project they decry as "Cop City." The 11-4 vote...
Cops: Vandals Wreck
'Jurassic World' Exhibition
Jun 1, 2023 11:11 AM CDT
Cops: Vandals Wreck 'Jurassic World' Exhibition
One person was caught on video ripping skin off animatronic dinosaur
- There were a lot of disappointed kids in Atlanta Monday after vandals wrecked "Jurassic World: The Exhibition," a newly opened exhibit featuring life-size animatronic dinosaurs. Police say there was an estimated $250,000 in damage after four intruders broke into the exhibition in the Pullman Yards event space...
181 Caught COVID
at CDC Conference
May 31, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
181 Caught COVID at CDC Conference
Gathering of 'disease detectives' gets unwanted surprise
- A group of CDC specialists described as "disease detectives" by the
have gotten an unexpected case study to examine—their own. Of the 1,800 people who attended an agency conference in Atlanta last month, at least 181 contracted COVID, reports Ars Technica , citing an agency news...
Here Are the
10 Best, Worst
US Cities to
Start a Career
May 16, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst US Cities to Start a Career
Atlanta takes the top spot on WalletHub's list, while the Big Apple comes in last
- Not sure where to kick off that career you've dreamed about for years? Whether you're a new grad or kick-starting a second job path for yourself, some cities have better resources than others for making such moves. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of the nation's largest...
Suspect in Custody After
Atlanta Hospital Shooting
May 3, 2023 7:38 PM CDT
Suspect in Custody After Atlanta Hospital Shooting
Attack killed 1 woman, injured 4 others
This story has been updated with the suspect's arrest
. One person was killed and four others were injured, three of them critically, in a shooting at a hospital in Midtown Atlanta around 1pm Wednesday, the Atlanta Police Department says. CNN reports that police say the gunman opened fire in...
Looking to Start a Biz?
Check Out These Cities
Apr 30, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
Looking to Start a Biz? Check Out These Cities
Orlando tops WalletHub's ranking of America's most startup-friendly places
- It's been a tough few years for business owners across the nation, from the pandemic to rising prices due to inflation. However, current challenges haven't stopped some from mulling over launching their own business—a sign of what WalletHub calls Americans' unstoppable "entrepreneurial streak." In an...
DNC Picks a Home for 2024
Apr 11, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
DNC Picks a Home for 2024
Chicago beats out Atlanta in something of a surprise
- Democrats have chosen Chicago to host their 2024 national convention, reports the AP , trying to keep the party's momentum going after last fall's midterm success in the critical Midwest. The decision, confirmed by a Democratic official who spoke on Tuesday on the condition of anonymity before an official...
Georgia Charges 23 Protesters
With Domestic Terrorism
Mar 6, 2023 6:50 PM CST
Georgia Charges 23 Protesters With Domestic Terrorism
Police say 'violent agitators' attacked future site of training center
- The Atlanta Police Department says 23 people have been charged with domestic terrorism in connection with an attack on the future site of a training complex opponents have nicknamed "Cop City." Police say dozens of "violent agitators" used the cover of a peaceful protest to attack officers...
Ready for Movie Night?
These US Cities Are Best
Feb 11, 2023 9:00 AM CST
Ready for Movie Night? These US Cities Are Best
New York takes No. 1 spot for movie lovers on Lawn Love list
- If you love movies as much as Nicole Kidman loves movies , there are certain cities where you'll be in Hollywood heaven. Lawn Love wanted to find where movie lovers could have the most "memorable cinematic experience," so the outdoor-services website looked at the 200 largest US cities,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.