Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Finland to Russian Tourists:
Don't Bother Coming
Sep 29, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Finland to Russian Tourists: Don't Bother Coming
Nordic nation is shutting its border to Russians starting Friday, with some exceptions
- Russian tourists are out of luck if they try to cross over into Finland after midnight on Thursday. Reuters reports that's when the Nordic country is shutting its 830-mile-long border shared with its larger neighbor, with the Finnish government claiming that the multitudes of Russians coming over are putting...
Brad Pitt Goes Public With
Sep 20, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Brad Pitt Goes Public With Self-Reflection Sculptures
He's 'taking account of those I may have hurt, moments I have just gotten wrong'
- Following in the footsteps of fellow actor Johnny Depp , Brad Pitt is making his non-film-related art public for the first time. The 58-year-old shocked art lovers in Finland on Saturday when he showed up to exhibit nine sculptures at Sara Hilden Art Museum in Tampere. His involvement in the larger...
Taken at Her Home
Aug 24, 2022 7:33 AM CDT
Sanna Marin Apologizes for Topless Photo Taken at Her Home
It features two women, neither of which are her
- Sanna Marin's bumpy week isn't ending. Following the hullabaloo around footage that emerged of the Finnish PM partying with friends came this: a photo on TikTok showing two women kissing inside the prime minister’s official summer residence while lifting up their shirts; a "Finland" sign obscured...
Fine, I Took
a Drug Test
Aug 23, 2022 8:52 AM CDT
Finnish Leader: Fine, I Took a Drug Test
Sanna Marin, receiving flak for party video, had no drugs in system, as she promised
She's clean, as expected. Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin tested negative for narcotics and other drugs after video emerged of her dancing and partying with friends, reports the
. The 36-year-old leader insisted all along she never took drugs, and she agreed to the test "for my...
Aug 22, 2022 7:34 AM CDT
Defiant Dancers Party for Sanna Marin
Clips emerge in solidarity with Finnish PM, criticized after video leaked showing her partying
- Sanna Marin's political rivals may be up in arms about her dance routines at parties, but women in Finland and beyond are now lending their support to the Finnish prime minister with pictures and videos of their own. After footage of the 36-year-old dancing at a private party over...
Finnish PM: 'I Resent' That
Videos of Me Partying Leaked
Aug 19, 2022 6:43 AM CDT
Finnish PM: 'I Resent' That Videos of Me Partying Leaked
Some have even called for Sanna Marin to be drug-tested after clips of her dancing emerged
- Sanna Marin is known to enjoy the nightlife , but her most recent foray into fun is drawing a good deal of criticism. Finland's 36-year-old prime minister has found herself "in hot water" over videos now circulating on social media that show her partying at a private get-together, "...
Hawley to Vote
Aug 1, 2022 5:37 PM CDT
Hawley to Vote Against Letting Sweden, Finland Into NATO
GOP senator argues US should focus less on Europe, more on China
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said last week that the US "would be fortunate to have two new treaty allies as impressive and capable as Finland and Sweden." On Monday, one of his Republican colleagues said he won't support the two countries joining NATO, per the Hill...
First 2 Countries Ratify
Finland, Sweden NATO Bids
Jul 6, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
First 2 Countries Ratify Finland, Sweden NATO Bids
Canada, Denmark legislatures approved historic move
- All 30 NATO members have formally signed off on Sweden and Finland's historic bid to join the alliance , and the next step is expected to be a time-consuming one—but not in Canada. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the country has become the first to ratify accession protocols for...
World’s First ‘Sand Battery’
Installed in Finland
Jul 5, 2022 5:59 PM CDT
World’s First ‘Sand Battery’ Installed in Finland
It can store heat for use when solar and other renewables come up short
- A team of Finnish engineers has installed the world’s first commercial "sand battery," and it could help overcome a vexing obstacle to widescale implementation of renewable energy, per the BBC. It couldn’t come at a better time for Finland, since Russia cut both gas and electricity...
NATO to Make Its Biggest
Expansion in Decades
Jun 29, 2022 9:05 AM CDT
NATO to Make Its Biggest Expansion in Decades
Finland and Sweden are formally invited to join
- Sweden and Finland are one big step closer to joining NATO, which on Wednesday formalized its invitation to the two countries. The next step is for the 30 member states' parliaments and legislatures to ratify the decision, which is expected to move forward quickly, though the full process could take...
Turkey Drops Objection to
Finland, Sweden Joining NATO
Jun 28, 2022 9:28 PM CDT
Turkey Drops Objection to Finland, Sweden Joining NATO
Alliance leader hails 'historic decision'
: Turkey agreed Tuesday to lift its opposition to Sweden and Finland joining NATO, ending an impasse that had clouded a leaders’ summit opening in Madrid amid Europe’s worst security crisis in decades, triggered by the war in Ukraine. After urgent top-level talks with leaders of the three countries,...
'In an Unpredictable World,'
US Leads NATO Exercise
Jun 5, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
'In an Unpredictable World,' US Leads NATO Exercise
Sweden, Finland take part in 7K-personnel drill
- NATO kicked off nearly a two-week, US-led naval exercise on the Baltic Sea on Sunday with more than 7,000 sailors, airmen, and marines from 16 nations, including two aspiring to join the military alliance, Finland and Sweden. The annual BALTOPS naval exercise, initiated in 1972, is not held in...
Brewery Toasts NATO Bid
May 21, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
Brewery Toasts NATO Bid
New lager from town near Finland's border with Russia offers 'a taste of security'
- A small brewery in Finland, just 30 or so miles from the Russian border, has made its feelings about the nation joining NATO clear. Just before Finland submitted its application to the security alliance, Olaf Brewing released a new lager. Its name, OTAN, plays on the Finnish "I'll...
Pay Gas Company
in Rubles. Russia
May 21, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Finland Won't Pay Gas Company in Rubles. Russia Hits Back
Gazprom has cut off supply of gas to Nordic nation
- Things were already tense between Russia and Finland after the latter nation applied for NATO membership this week, and a new move by the former isn't going to alleviate that tension. Due to crippling sanctions against its central bank because of its invasion of Ukraine, Russia has asked customers...
Apply to Join NATO
May 18, 2022 6:02 AM CDT
Finland, Sweden Apply to Join NATO
Spurred by Russian invasion of Ukraine, countries make big move
- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday that the military alliance stands ready to seize a historic moment and move quickly on allowing Finland and Sweden to join its ranks, after the two countries submitted their membership requests. The official applications, handed over by Finland's and Sweden's ambassadors...
Sweden: We Want
to Join NATO, Too
May 16, 2022 8:58 AM CDT
Sweden: We Want to Join NATO, Too
Government, like Finland's, will apply for membership
- Sweden's prime minister announced Monday that Sweden will join Finland in seeking NATO membership in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, a historic shift that comes after more than 200 years of military nonalignment in the Nordic country, per the AP . The move, which is likely to...
Finland Makes Bid
for NATO Official
May 15, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Finland Makes Bid for NATO Official
Sweden's ruling party reverses on opposition to joining alliance
- NATO moved closer to expansion on Sunday, as Finland confirmed its intention to apply for membership and Sweden's ruling party dropped its opposition to that nation joining. Both countries have long been militarily nonaligned, and NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said their joining the organization will constitute a "...
Finland Takes Big Step
Toward Joining NATO
May 12, 2022 5:54 AM CDT
Finland Takes Big Step Toward Joining NATO
President, PM say country needs to apply to join alliance 'without delay'
- After staying neutral during the Cold War and remaining nonaligned for decades afterward, Finland is on the brink of joining NATO. In a joint statement Thursday, Prime Minister Sanna Marin and President Sauli Niinisto said the country needs to apply to join the alliance "without delay," the
Apr 14, 2022 12:59 AM CDT
It's Looking More Likely That Finland, Sweden Will Join NATO
Finland's decision is expected 'within weeks'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has warned Finland and Sweden not to join NATO , but both countries are edging closer to the military alliance even so. Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin said a decision on whether to apply is expected "within weeks," the BBC reports, and if Finland decides...
Don't Join NATO,
Apr 11, 2022 5:11 PM CDT
Don't Join NATO, Russia Warns Finland, Sweden
Both nations are conducting reviews in light of the invasion of Ukraine
- With polls showing public support for the move has nearly doubled in both countries since the invasion of Ukraine, Sweden and Finland are talking about joining NATO. Don't do that, Russia warned Monday. "The alliance remains a tool geared towards confrontation," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge: Trump Doesn't Have to Declare FBI Planted Evidence
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
Former Cowboys Player Dies in Climbing Accident
Their Scheme Made Couple's Life 'Hell.' Now, Prison Time
Florida Woman Went to Extremes to Keep Paralyzed Spouse Alive
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.