Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Russia Started This':
Nov 24, 2023 6:02 AM CST
'Russia Started This': Finland Closes Border Crossings
Country of 5.6M accuses Russia of sending migrants without visas to its borders
- Finland says Russia is sending hundreds of migrants from African and Middle Eastern countries across its border illegally and has closed all but one border crossing in response. Finland closed four of eight land border crossings last week, but reported "organized" crossings had continued and expanded north. It now...
This Is the
Nation on Earth
Oct 7, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
This Is the Most Innovative Nation on Earth
Switzerland is No. 1, again, while the US falls one spot
- Monday has already proven a banner day for innovation, with the Nobel Prize in medicine bestowed on Katalin Kariko and Drew Weissman for their work that helped develop the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines. Now, certain nations around the world can crow about their placement on the World Intellectual Property Organization's...
Cleaning Up Deputy Mayor's
Graffiti Cost City $3.8K
Jun 29, 2023 12:09 PM CDT
Cleaning Up Deputy Mayor's Graffiti Cost City $3.8K
Helsinki's Paavo Arhinmaki apologizes for 'stupid fooling around'
- A deputy mayor of Finland's capital is facing possible legal action, as well as calls to resign and pay compensation for damages, after he was caught red-handed spray-painting graffiti in a railway tunnel last weekend. The Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency told public broadcaster YLE on Wednesday that cleaning up...
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 10, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Driver's Fine for Speeding: $129K
The problem here for Anders Wiklof is that he is wealthy and lives in Finland
- The minimum fine for speeding in Finland is 6 euros. The maximum? That's a much different story, because Finland uses a progressive system pegged to a driver's wealth, explains Euro News . Which is how the very wealthy Anders Wiklof just received a fine of 121,000 euros, or...
Newspaper Gets Creative
to Inform Russians About War
May 4, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Newspaper Gets Creative to Inform Russians About War
Finnish paper hides news about Ukraine in a popular video game available to Russians
- Finland's biggest daily newspaper has found a creative way to inform Russians about the war in Ukraine, reports Reuters . Knowing that Moscow censors any news about the war, the
turned to the world of video games. The popular game "Counter-Strike" encourages users to create their own...
Report: Russia Is Spying
With Civilian Boats
Apr 20, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
Report: Russia Is Spying With Civilian Boats
Nordic public broadcasters say they've uncovered spying program in the North Sea
- A joint investigation by the public broadcasters of Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Finland has uncovered a large fleet of Russian spy ships allegedly posing as fishing vessels in the North Sea. The broadcasters—DR in Denmark, NRK in Norway, SVT in Sweden, and Yle in Finland—say about 50 Russian...
Fencing Off Russia
Apr 15, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
Finland Begins Fencing Off Russia
New NATO member says invasion of Ukraine was the main prompt
- The construction of barbed-wired fence along Finland’s long border with Russia—primarily meant to curb illegal migration—has broken ground near the southeastern town of Imatra less than two weeks after the Nordic country joined NATO as the 31st member of the military alliance. The Finnish Border Guard on...
Finland Deals Russia a Big Blow
Apr 4, 2023 9:33 AM CDT
Finland Deals Russia a Big Blow
Nordic country joins NATO, more than doubling
- Russia will think twice before invading neighboring Finland as the latter country officially joined "the world’s biggest security alliance" on Tuesday, NATO's 74th birthday, per the AP . Finland became the 31st NATO member state when Foreign Minister Pekka Haavisto handed an official accession document to US Secretary...
Finland's Popular, Young
Prime Minister Ousted
Apr 3, 2023 12:09 AM CDT
Finland's Popular, Young Prime Minister Ousted
Sanna Marin's party comes in 3rd place
- Finland's main conservative party claimed victory in parliamentary elections Sunday in a tight three-way race that saw right-wing populists take second place, leaving Prime Minister Sanna Marin's Social Democratic Party in third, dashing her hopes for reelection, the AP reports. The center-right National Coalition Party (NCP) claimed victory...
Holdout Turkey Approves
Finland Joining NATO
Mar 30, 2023 6:35 PM CDT
Holdout Turkey Approves Finland Joining NATO
Sweden, which applied at the same time, is still waiting
- Turkey on Thursday endorsed Finland's pending membership in NATO on a parliamentary vote, removing the last obstacle to the security alliance's expansion. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had come out in support of the move, but he has not yet said Sweden—which applied to NATO on the same...
This Is the
Nation on Earth
Mar 20, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest Nation on Earth
The honors go to Finland, per annual World Happiness Report; US comes in 15th
- It may be cold in the Nordic countries, but residents' hearts are warm. At least, that's what the 10th annual World Happiness Report found during this year's ranking of 137 nations. Per the Verge , the report—which uses study data and self-assessed life evaluations—found that we've...
As Russians Flee, Finland
Builds a Border Fence
Mar 1, 2023 2:00 AM CST
As Russians Flee, Finland Builds a Border Fence
More fallout from the invasion of Ukraine
- Finland shares an 832-mile border with Russia, the longest of any nation in the European Union. Soon, as many as 161 of those miles will feature a 10-foot-tall fence topped with barbed wire, with night vision cameras, lights, and loudspeakers installed at some sections. Finland says the border fence, which...
They Want to Join NATO
Together. One May Go Solo
Feb 18, 2023 10:45 AM CST
They Want to Join NATO Together. One May Go Solo
Finnish defense minister says his nation may join alone if Turkey keeps holding up Sweden
- Finland's defense minister said Saturday that his country will join NATO without waiting for Sweden if its Nordic neighbor's accession is held up by the Turkish government. Mikko Savola told the AP on Saturday that Finland would prefer that the two countries join the alliance together, but it...
Female PMs Asked If They're
Meeting Due to 'Similar Age'
Nov 30, 2022 6:25 PM CST
Female PMs Asked If They're Meeting Due to 'Similar Age'
Question to Finland, New Zealand leaders slammed as sexist
- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern deftly shot down a sexist line of questioning after a meeting in Auckland on Wednesday with Sanna Marin, her Finnish counterpart. A male reporter from radio station Newstalk ZB told Ardern "a lot of people will be wondering, 'Are you two meeting...
Finland to Russian Tourists:
Don't Bother Coming
Sep 29, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Finland to Russian Tourists: Don't Bother Coming
Nordic nation is shutting its border to Russians starting Friday, with some exceptions
- Russian tourists are out of luck if they try to cross over into Finland after midnight on Thursday. Reuters reports that's when the Nordic country is shutting its 830-mile-long border shared with its larger neighbor, with the Finnish government claiming that the multitudes of Russians coming over are putting...
Brad Pitt Goes Public With
Sep 20, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Brad Pitt Goes Public With Self-Reflection Sculptures
He's 'taking account of those I may have hurt, moments I have just gotten wrong'
- Following in the footsteps of fellow actor Johnny Depp , Brad Pitt is making his non-film-related art public for the first time. The 58-year-old shocked art lovers in Finland on Saturday when he showed up to exhibit nine sculptures at Sara Hilden Art Museum in Tampere. His involvement in the larger...
Taken at Her Home
Aug 24, 2022 7:33 AM CDT
Sanna Marin Apologizes for Topless Photo Taken at Her Home
It features two women, neither of which are her
- Sanna Marin's bumpy week isn't ending. Following the hullabaloo around footage that emerged of the Finnish PM partying with friends came this: a photo on TikTok showing two women kissing inside the prime minister’s official summer residence while lifting up their shirts; a "Finland" sign obscured...
Fine, I Took
a Drug Test
Aug 23, 2022 8:52 AM CDT
Finnish Leader: Fine, I Took a Drug Test
Sanna Marin, receiving flak for party video, had no drugs in system, as she promised
She's clean, as expected. Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin tested negative for narcotics and other drugs after video emerged of her dancing and partying with friends, reports the
. The 36-year-old leader insisted all along she never took drugs, and she agreed to the test "for my...
Aug 22, 2022 7:34 AM CDT
Defiant Dancers Party for Sanna Marin
Clips emerge in solidarity with Finnish PM, criticized after video leaked showing her partying
- Sanna Marin's political rivals may be up in arms about her dance routines at parties, but women in Finland and beyond are now lending their support to the Finnish prime minister with pictures and videos of their own. After footage of the 36-year-old dancing at a private party over...
Finnish PM: 'I Resent' That
Videos of Me Partying Leaked
Aug 19, 2022 6:43 AM CDT
Finnish PM: 'I Resent' That Videos of Me Partying Leaked
Some have even called for Sanna Marin to be drug-tested after clips of her dancing emerged
- Sanna Marin is known to enjoy the nightlife , but her most recent foray into fun is drawing a good deal of criticism. Finland's 36-year-old prime minister has found herself "in hot water" over videos now circulating on social media that show her partying at a private get-together, "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.