Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
IRS Drops Facial
Feb 7, 2022 7:35 PM CST
IRS Drops Facial Recognition Plan
Agency is suspending use of private company for identity verification
- The IRS is backing away from what some critics saw as another step toward a dystopian future: a plan to have a private company use facial recognition to verify taxpayers' identities. The agency, which was facing a backlash from lawmakers from both parties, along with the ACLU and other privacy...
IRS Outsources Online Security
to Private Company
Jan 21, 2022 4:42 PM CST
IRS Outsources Online Security to Private Company
Video selfies will be required for some online functions by this summer
- The bane of some people’s existence, the Internal Revenue Service, is about to make life a little harder this summer. American taxpayers will be unable to perform most functions at IRS.gov without providing a video selfie to a private identity verification company, CNBC reports. Do not panic yet—...
The Number Is
In on Worth of
and It's Huge
Jan 17, 2022 10:00 AM CST
The Number Is In on Worth of Prince's Estate, and It's Huge
Final valuation comes in at $156.4M, about double what estate's administrator originally estimated
- The administrator of Prince's estate had once estimated its value at $82.3 million. The Internal Revenue Service said it thought the real number was double that. Now, nearly six years after the legal fight over the late singer's estate began, a final figure has been arrived at,...
This Could be a 'Frustrating'
Tax Season, Officials Say
Jan 10, 2022 5:29 PM CST
This Could be a 'Frustrating' Tax Season, Officials Say
'Enormous challenges' could delay refunds
- This year's tax filing season will begin on Jan. 24, 17 days earlier than last year, the Internal Revenue Service announced Monday. The IRS is warning that a resurgence of COVID-19 infections on top of a lesser funding authorization from Congress than the Biden administration had requested could make...
IRS to Millions of Taxpayers:
You Made a 'Math Error'
in case you missed it
Sep 11, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
IRS to Millions of Taxpayers: You Made a 'Math Error'
Pandemic credits apparently caused a lot of confusion
- Millions of Americans are getting an unwanted letter in the mail from the IRS informing them of a "math error." And in the vast majority of cases, that error works in the government's favor. The agency has sent out 11 million such letters as of mid-August in...
Justice Decides Against
Trump on Tax Returns
Jul 30, 2021 2:47 PM CDT
Justice Decides Against Trump on Tax Returns
Barring another twist, House panel will receive copies of the documents
- The Justice Department, in a reversal, says the Treasury Department must provide the House Ways and Means Committee with former President Trump's tax returns, apparently ending a long legal showdown over the records. In a memo dated Friday, the Office of Legal Counsel said the committee chairman "has...
for a Tax Refund?
The News Isn't Great
Jul 2, 2021 8:39 AM CDT
Still Waiting for a Tax Refund? The News Isn't Great
After 'unprecedented' tax season, IRS has backlog of 35M returns
- If you're wondering why your tax refund still hasn't arrived, you're in good company. After the "most challenging filing season taxpayers, tax professionals, and the IRS have ever experienced," the agency is currently trying to work its way through a backlog of 35 million tax...
DOJ Suit: Roger Stone
Owes IRS $2M in Taxes
Apr 17, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
DOJ Suit: Roger Stone Owes IRS $2M in Taxes
Complaint: Trump ally's tax troubles, which stretch back to 2007, didn't stop him from living it up
- Former President Trump pardoned Roger Stone right before he left office, but that reprieve isn't going to help the GOP operative with his latest IRS troubles. NBC News reports that the Justice Department filed a lawsuit Friday in Florida against the 68-year-old Trump ally for the nearly $2 million...
Yup, Tax Day Deadline
Mar 18, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
Yup, Tax Day Deadline Officially Extended
It's now May 17, IRS announces
- As expected , the Internal Revenue Service has extended the typical April 15 tax filing and payment deadline to May 17. Due to the economic struggles many have faced amid the COVID-19 pandemic, "this continues to be a tough time for many people, and the IRS wants to continue...
Looks Like This Year's Dreaded
Tax Deadline Isn't April 15
Mar 17, 2021 2:13 PM CDT
Looks Like This Year's Dreaded Tax Deadline Isn't April 15
IRS is expected to push it back a month
- If you've been procrastinating on your 2020 taxes, don't feel guilty about staying that course. The IRS on Wednesday will reportedly push the deadline from April 15 to May 15. CNN reports Democratic Reps. Jamie Raskin and Bill Pascrell had been urging the move due to the pandemic....
IRS Delays the Start
of Tax-Filing Season
Jan 15, 2021 5:00 PM CST
IRS Delays the Start of Tax-Filing Season
Agency won't accept returns until Feb. 12
- The tax-filing season will be a bit more condensed than usual this year. The IRS said Friday that it is pushing back the start of the season until Feb. 12, reports CNBC . Typically, taxpayers can start filing in late January. Despite the later start, the usual deadline of April 15...
Nov 25, 2020 4:45 PM CST
After Years of Denials, the NRA Fesses Up
Current and former executives have been abusing funds, the nonprofit says
- Looks like NRA execs really have been taking from the cookie jar. After years of denials, the National Rifle Association now admits that current and former executives—including current CEO Wayne LaPierre—recklessly used NRA funds for their personal enrichment, the
reports. According to a 2019 tax filing,...
Gift Card Scam Nets Tesla,
Waterfront Home, and 9 Years
Nov 13, 2020 4:25 PM CST
Gift Card Scam Nets Tesla, Waterfront Home, and 9 Years
Ukranian hired by Microsoft to test system found a flaw
- As a tester for Microsoft, Volodymyr Kvashuk placed fake online orders to check the system. The software wouldn't allow products to be sent to testers, so there was no risk of the company being scammed. Except there was. Kvashuk, who was hired in 2016, discovered nothing stopped him from...
Filed Your Tax Return on Time?
You Could Get an Extra Check
Aug 19, 2020 12:52 PM CDT
Filed Your Tax Return on Time? You Could Get an Extra Check
If you're owed or received a refund, you'll get a refund interest payment
- Almost 14 million Americans can expect payments from the Internal Revenue Service and the Treasury Department this week, but those taxpayers won't be using them for major purchases: The IRS says the average interest payment will be around $18. They'll be made to around 13.9 million taxpayers...
IRS to Workers: Come Back.
(Bring Your Own Face Masks)
Apr 26, 2020 6:43 AM CDT
IRS to Workers: Come Back. (Bring Your Own Face Masks)
IRS is asking 10K employees to come back to work for incentive pay
- The IRS is asking about 10,000 employees it deems "mission-critical" to come back to work beginning Monday, reports Politico , an "initial wave" that will task workers with "opening taxpayer correspondence, handling tax documents, taking taxpayer telephone calls, and performing other functions related to the filing season....
Landlord Text on
Apr 21, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
Man Felt 'Violated' After Landlord Text on Stimulus Check
Ore. man says property manager illegally accessed payment status via IRS site, asked for rent
- On April 15, Austin Goodrich received his stimulus check from the government. That same day, he got some odd texts from his property manager, per Business Insider . In messages documented by Joshua Browder, CEO of the DoNotPay legal chatbot, Goodrich's landlord asked him, "You got your stimulus, just...
Dead People Are
Apr 19, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Dead People Are Getting Stimulus Payments
Relatives of the deceased are asking: Will the government want it back?
- The dead may tell no tales, but they do get stimulus checks—and media reports are cropping up about relatives wondering what to do with the windfall. "Obviously, she does not need stimulus right now," Jeanne Siracuse tells NBC News about her mother, who received $1,200 despite...
There Are Snags
Apr 17, 2020 5:30 PM CDT
IRS Starts Sending Out Payments, but There Are Snags
Direct deposits go through first, then checks will be mailed
- More than 80 million people have already received their one-time payments from the IRS, mandated in the economic stimulus legislation, Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said this week. Those are payments that the IRS was able to put directly into accounts. But there are issues in getting the payments to everyone...
It's Easy to Check on
Your Stimulus Payment
Apr 15, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
It's Easy to Check on Your Stimulus Payment
IRS.gov goes live with a tracking tool
- It's safe to say everyone who's expecting a federal stimulus check is eager to "get my payment." Those wondering exactly when that will happen can now turn to "Get My Payment" to find out. The new feature on went live on IRS.gov on Wednesday,...
Stimulus Checks Will Have
an Unusual Name on Them
Apr 15, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
Stimulus Checks Will Have an Unusual Name on Them
A president's name, for the first time ever
- If you're among the Americans checking their mailboxes for a stimulus check, the
reports that yours will be coming to you a little differently than any other IRS disbursement in history: It will bear the words "President Donald J. Trump" on the left-hand side of the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
'Tragic, Freak Accident' in SC Pond Also a Rare One
California's Biggest Landowner Closes Forests to Public
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.