Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sheriff Stands by 'Deeply
Concerning' Arrest of Reporter
Dec 1, 2023 7:54 AM CST
Sheriff Stands by 'Deeply Concerning' Arrest of Reporter
KJZZ's Alisa Resnick detained while covering pro-Palestinian protest outside Tucson Raytheon office
- More than two dozen people were detained Thursday at a pro-Palestinian demonstration outside a Raytheon office in Arizona, including a local reporter who was covering the event. The
reports that KJZZ's Alisa Reznick was arrested by a deputy from the Pima County Sheriff's Department outside a...
After 8 Months
Nov 29, 2023 12:00 AM CST
Gershkovich's Detention Extended After 8 Months Behind Bars
'Wall Street Journal' reporter to remain in Russian custody until at least Jan. 30
- A court in Moscow on Tuesday extended the detention of
Wall Street Journal
reporter Evan Gershkovich, arrested on espionage charges, until Jan. 30, Russian news agencies reported. The hearing took place behind closed doors because authorities say details of the criminal case against the American journalist are classified, the AP...
Russia Orders 2nd
to Stay in Jail
Oct 23, 2023 1:51 PM CDT
Russia Orders 2nd US Journalist to Stay in Jail
Russian-American editor Alsu Kurmasheva will remain behind bars until at least early December
- A Russian court on Monday ordered a Russian-American journalist who was detained last week on charges of failing to register as a foreign agent to remain in custody until early December, her employer reported. Alsu Kurmasheva, an editor for the US government-funded Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty's Tatar-Bashkir service, appeared...
Oct 19, 2023 8:34 AM CDT
Russia Nabs Another US Journalist
Dual Russia-US citizen Alsu Kurmasheva of RFE/RL accused of plotting to share military info
- A second US journalist has been detained in Russia. Alsu Kurmasheva, a dual Russian-American citizen and Prague-based editor for Radio Free Europe-Radio Liberty (RFE/RL), was detained Wednesday in the southwest city of Kazan, which she was prevented from leaving months earlier. She'd traveled to Russia in May for a...
Journalist Held by China Sees
a Tree for First Time in Years
Oct 11, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Journalist Held by China Sees a Tree for First Time in Years
China's Ministry of State Security said Cheng Lei had served her sentence
- After being held in China since her August 2020 arrest, journalist Cheng Lei is back home in Australia. The BBC reports she was "tried in secret" in China in March on national security charges, and China's Ministry of State Security on Wednesday said she'd pleaded guilty and...
Shot Dead at Home
Oct 3, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Philadelphia Journalist Shot Dead at Home
Josh Kruger advocated for city's most vulnerable
- Josh Kruger, who went from being homeless and struggling with addiction to advocating for Philadelphia's most vulnerable as a journalist in the city, was fatally shot in his South Philadelphia home early Monday. Police arrived around 1:30am to find the 39-year-old in the street outside his home with...
Newspaper Is Victim of Hate
Campaign Over Bogus Reason
Sep 21, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Newspaper Is Victim of Hate Campaign Over Bogus Reason
Online critics falsely accuse 'Las Vegas Review-Journal,' issue threats to reporter
- A Las Vegas newspaper is being viciously attacked online for its coverage of an alleged murder of a retired police chief, with critics guilty of either a misunderstanding or a deliberate attempt to mislead, per the AP . The "firehose of hatred" has led the
Las Vegas Review-Journal
2 Western Reporters
Expelled From Russia
Aug 16, 2023 6:30 PM CDT
2 Western Reporters Expelled From Russia
'I was given six days to wrap up my life,' says Politico's Eva Hartog
- Russia appears to have stepped up a crackdown on foreign reporters. Politico reports that Eva Hartog, its Moscow correspondent, has been expelled from the country with no clear reason given. Hartog, a Dutch citizen who had reported from Moscow for several outlets over the past 10 years, was told that...
After Biden Chat
Jul 13, 2023 1:37 PM CDT
Gershkovich's Parents 'Optimistic' After Biden Chat
President says he's 'serious on a prisoner exchange' for detained 'WSJ' reporter in Russia
- President Biden on Thursday said he's serious about pursuing a prisoner exchange for Evan Gershkovich, a
Wall Street Journal
reporter who has been detained in Russia for more than 100 days, per the AP . The Kremlin earlier this month suggested that it was open to a possible prisoner exchange...
Journo at Center
of FBI Search
on Fox Leak
May 26, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Report: Ex-Deadspin Journo at Center of FBI Search on Fox Leak
Per 'Tampa Bay Times,' agency searched home of Timothy Burke earlier this month in criminal probe
- In October, Kanye West sat down for a two-part interview with Fox News' Tucker Carlson, when the latter was still part of the network's prime-time lineup. Just days later, Vice's Motherboard published unseen clips from that interview, with even more eyebrow-raising snippets from the rapper, including antisemitic tropes...
'I Am Humbled'
Apr 28, 2023 6:38 AM CDT
Gershkovich Sends Message: 'I Am Humbled'
'WSJ' reporter detained in Russia gets support from Griner, Biden, 3 big US newspapers
- Last week, the world caught a glimpse of detained
Wall Street Journal
reporter Evan Gershkovich in a Moscow courtroom, looking calm as he stood in a glass cage and heard that his appeal to be released while awaiting an investigation into the spying charges against him was turned down. Now,...
Passover Meals Nationwide
Left One Empty Seat
Apr 7, 2023 10:26 AM CDT
Passover Meals Nationwide Left One Empty Seat
Jews save place at Seders for Evan Gershkovich, 'WSJ' reporter jailed in Russia
- Human rights groups and journalists are speaking out about Evan Gershkovich , the
Wall Street Journal
reporter detained last month in Russia on alleged spy charges. Now, members of the Jewish community are offering their own nod to the 31-year-old journalist, leaving an empty seat at their Seder, the traditional meal...
What We Know About Russia's
Arrest of a US Journalist
Mar 30, 2023 12:02 PM CDT
What We Know About Russia's Arrest of a US Journalist
Evan Gershkovich is accused of spying, a charge the 'Wall Street Journal' refutes
- American journalist Evan Gershkovich is now the subject of news stories rather than the reporter of them. On Thursday, he became the first US journalist held as an alleged spy in Russia since the collapse of the Soviet Union
Here is what is known about his case:
Reporter Gunned Down
at Murder Scene Is IDed
Feb 23, 2023 9:10 AM CST
Reporter Gunned Down at Murder Scene Is IDed
Spectrum News 13's Dylan Lyons was fatally shot in Florida while reporting on previous shooting
- Dylan Lyons was a passionate young journalist who at 24 had already been honored by the Florida Association of Broadcast Journalists for his 2020 election reporting on the 3rd Congressional District. "He took his job very seriously," according to colleague Josh Miller. "He loved his career. He...
TV Reporter, Girl
Fatally Shot in Florida
Feb 22, 2023 7:23 PM CST
TV Reporter, Girl Fatally Shot in Florida
News crew was covering an earlier shooting when another took place
- A central Florida television journalist and a little girl were fatally shot Wednesday afternoon near the scene of a fatal shooting from earlier in the day, authorities said. Orange County Sheriff John Mina said during a news conference that they’ve detained Keith Melvin Moses, 19, who they believe is...
As Governor Speaks on Train
Derailment, Reporter Is Cuffed
Feb 9, 2023 8:28 AM CST
As Governor Speaks on Train Derailment, Reporter Is Cuffed
Ohio's Mike DeWine was holding presser when Evan Lambert was arrested for trespassing
- A broadcast reporter was pushed to the ground, handcuffed, and arrested for trespassing Wednesday while covering a news conference about the derailment of a train carrying toxic chemicals in Ohio. NewsNation posted video of correspondent Evan Lambert being arrested in the gymnasium of an elementary school in East Palestine, where...
Reporter vs. Mugger: 'Wrong
Blind Person, Wrong Day'
Dec 28, 2022 9:06 AM CST
Reporter vs. Mugger: 'Wrong Blind Person, Wrong Day'
BBC correspondent Sean Dilley didn't let his lack of sight keep him from defeating a phone thief
- A thief may have surprised BBC journalist Sean Dilley by lifting his phone on the streets of London, but it was Dilley who had an even bigger surprise for the thief. The BBC reports that its correspondent, who was working the night shift at New Broadcasting House, BBC's headquarters...
Grant Wahl Death: 'Why
Wasn't There a Defibrillator?'
Dec 11, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Grant Wahl Death: 'Why Wasn't There a Defibrillator?'
Colleagues, family mourn sportswriter who died at 49
- The cause of death for sportswriter Grant Wahl remained unclear as of Sunday morning as those in his orbit processed the news. The 49-year-old collapsed and died early Saturday in Qatar, where he was covering his eighth World Cup.
Wahl collapsed in the press box of Lusail Iconic
Renowned Sports Writer
Collapses, Dies at World Cup
Dec 10, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Renowned Sports Writer Collapses, Dies at World Cup
Grant Wahl, one of the best-known US journalists in the soccer world, is dead at 48
- Grant Wahl, one of the most well-known soccer writers in the United States, died early Saturday in Qatar while covering the World Cup match between Argentina and the Netherlands. He was 48. US media seated near him said Wahl fell back in his seat in a section of Lusail Stadium...
AP Reporter Canned Over Story
on Deadly Missile in Poland
Nov 22, 2022 9:12 AM CST
AP Reporter Canned Over Story on Deadly Missile in Poland
James LaPorta cited anonymous US official who suggested missile was Russian; it was Ukrainian
- The world held its breath last week after a report suggested two missiles had been fired by Russia amid its war in Ukraine and killed two people in Poland—an incident that could have qualified as a breach against a NATO nation and possibly triggered a military response from western...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.