Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Vladimir Putin Will Seek Another 6 Years in Power
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Hobbled Tiger Woods
Has to Leave the Masters
Apr 9, 2023 8:09 AM CDT
A Hobbled Tiger Woods Has to Leave the Masters
Five-time champion bows out before the resumption of round 3
- Tiger Woods withdrew from the Masters before the resumption of the third round because of an injury Sunday, ending his streak of completing all 72 holes of every tournament he has played at Augusta National as a professional. The tournament announced about 90 minutes before play began that Woods, who...
Golf Tourney Was Proceeding
Nicely. Then, 'Mayhem'
Apr 8, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Golf Tourney Was Proceeding Nicely. Then, 'Mayhem'
3 giant pines fall during Masters at Georgia's Augusta National Golf Club; there were no injuries
- It was "Masters mayhem" on Friday, per the
, after three giant trees toppled over onto the course during the pro golf championship at Augusta National Golf Club. CBS Sports reports that the Georgia pines fell near the 17th hole during the second round of play, right before the...
Jan 3, 2023 6:24 AM CST
The Masters Makes Comical Invitation Gaffe
Invite sent to the wrong Scott Stallings, instead of the pro golfer
- Scott Stallings of Tennessee is the 54th-ranked golfer in the world. Scott Stallings of Georgia appears to be more of your garden-variety weekend duffer. The first Scott Stallings played well enough this year to earn an invitation to the Masters, but it was the second Scott Stallings who actually received...
9/11 Families: 2023 Masters
Will Be a 'Slap in the Face'
Dec 21, 2022 10:40 AM CST
9/11 Families: 2023 Masters Will Be a 'Slap in the Face'
Tournament to welcome golfers from Saudi-backed LIV league
- Families of victims and survivors of the 9/11 terrorist attacks are planning to protest at the Masters this spring in response to Augusta National Golf Club's decision to allow golfers from the Saudi-backed LIV league to participate. Augusta National Chairman Fred Ridley announced Tuesday that qualified golfers from both...
At Masters, Scheffler Does
What Only One Man Has Done
Apr 10, 2022 9:03 PM CDT
At Masters, Scheffler Does What Only One Man Has Done
He joins Ian Woosnam as only players to win a major in their debut at No. 1 in the world
- That new No. 1 ranking for Scottie Scheffler looks even better in a Masters green jacket. Two months after Scheffler finally broke through for his first PGA Tour victory, he capped off a most incredible 56-day stretch by making his fourth win the biggest of them all—the Masters by...
His Masters Test
With Brutal Score
Apr 10, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
Woods Completes His Masters Test With Brutal Score
Golfing great posts his personal worst at Augusta, but manages to play all 72 holes
- After playing well enough in the first couple of rounds to make the cut, Tiger Woods wrapped up his Masters on Sunday with his worst score at Augusta ever. Woods' 6-over 78 dropped him well out of contention, CBS Sports reports, and was only one stroke better than his worst...
Apr 7, 2022 5:41 PM CDT
Woods Plays Again at Augusta
Star posts 71 in return to Masters
- Tiger Woods had some good moments, some unlucky outcomes and a couple of blunders Thursday in his opening round of the Masters. Given what he's gone through over the last past year or so, he surely wasn’t going to complain. His day at Georgia's Augusta National was...
Tiger Woods: 'I Feel
Like I'm Going to Play'
Apr 5, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Tiger Woods: 'I Feel Like I'm Going to Play'
Golf legend is at Augusta, plans to compete in the Masters this week
Tiger Woods says he plans to play in this week's Masters. If he does, it would be his first competitive tournament since he was seriously injured in a car accident last year, notes the
. “As of right now, I feel like I am going to...
A 'True Pioneer' in Golf Is Dead
Nov 29, 2021 12:35 PM CST
A 'True Pioneer' in Golf Is Dead
Lee Elder was the first Black golfer to play Masters
- Lee Elder, who broke down racial barriers as the first Black golfer to play in the Masters and paved the way for Tiger Woods and others to follow, has died at the age of 87. The PGA Tour announced Elder’s death, which was first reported Monday by Debert Cook...
The World Has Its First
Japanese Winner of the Masters
Apr 12, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
The World Has Its First Japanese Winner of the Masters
Hideki Matsuyama wears the green jacket
- Hideki Matsuyama delivered golf-mad Japan the grandest and greenest prize of all. Ten years after Matsuyama made a sterling debut as the best amateur at Augusta National, he claimed the ultimate trophy Sunday with a victory in the Masters to become the first Japanese winner of the green jacket, the...
Johnson Defies History
With Masters Win
Nov 15, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Johnson Defies History With Masters Win
The No. 1-ranked player finishes at 20-under 268
- Nothing ever comes easily for Dustin Johnson in the majors, except for when he slipped his arms through that Masters green jacket Sunday, the AP reports. Johnson overcame a jittery start that conjured memories of past majors he failed to finish off. He turned that into a command performance, making...
You're Not Going to
Believe This Hole-in-One
Nov 11, 2020 9:10 AM CST
You're Not Going to Believe This Hole-in-One
Jon Rahm skips ball across pond at Augusta National—on his birthday, no less
- It's tradition for golfers to try to skip their ball across the pond before the 16th hole at Augusta National Golf Club during practice rounds, per ESPN . In doing so, Jon Rahm may have made the shot of his life, and on his 26th birthday no less. The Spanish...
2 More Big Sports
Events Are Postponed
Mar 13, 2020 2:21 PM CDT
2 More Big Sports Events Are Postponed
Boston Marathon and the Masters
- The list of famed sports events canceled because of the spreading coronavirus grew again Friday. The Boston Marathon now is scheduled for Sept. 14 instead of April 20. And the Masters golf tournament, which was to run April 9-12 at Augusta National, is postponed indefinitely. "Our priority right now...
Tiger Woods Wins Masters
in Stunning Comeback
Apr 14, 2019 1:50 PM CDT
Tiger Woods Wins Masters in Stunning Comeback
The once-great golfer proves he's great again
- Tiger Woods achieved an incredible career comeback Sunday by winning his fifth Masters and his first major tournament in nearly 11 years, ESPN reports. And he did it in dramatic fashion, beginning the final round at 2 down against Italy's Francesco Molinari, the reigning Open champ, and playing an...
Apr 13, 2019 6:59 AM CDT
Bizarre Course Hazard Befalls Tiger Woods at Masters
A security guard slips, then slides into the golfer's ankle on the course at Masters
- Tiger Woods is very much in the hunt at the Masters, just one stroke behind the leaders after two rounds. And that's despite a strange occurrence on the 14th hole that appeared to injure him, at least briefly. After Woods launched his second shot, a security guard trying to...
You've Probably Never Heard
a Golfer Talk Quite Like This
Apr 12, 2019 1:14 PM CDT
You've Probably Never Heard a Golfer Talk Quite Like This
'Mad scientist' Bryson DeChambeau is rising in rankings with a very calculated approach
- Golfer Bryson DeChambeau is off to a strong start at this week's Masters, which probably isn't a surprise to those following the 25-year-old's fast ascent up the world rankings. He's currently ranked sixth, and DeChambeau's unusual approach to the game is drawing lots of attention....
Wins the Masters
Apr 8, 2018 8:03 PM CDT
'Captain America' Wins the Masters
Patrick Reed does it, in a notably fuchsia shirt
- Patrick Reed became famous playing for his country. He won for himself Sunday and became a Masters champion. It was never easy, just the way Reed likes it. Rory McIlroy came after him early. Jordan Spieth roared to life with a final-round charge and briefly caught Reed with a 35-foot...
Suddenly, Tiger Woods
Has Masters Abuzz Again
Apr 5, 2018 7:50 AM CDT
Suddenly, Tiger Woods Has Masters Abuzz Again
He's seen as a strong contender this weekend after all but disappearing from golf
- The Masters gets underway Thursday, and club chairman Fred Ridley says he can't remember any previous one generating so much buzz. The main reason: Tiger Woods, who has returned to competition after a fourth back surgery and suddenly looks very much like a 14-time major champion capable of resuming...
Golfer's Fall Down the Stairs
Shakes Up Masters
Apr 6, 2017 7:54 AM CDT
Golfer's Fall Down the Stairs Shakes Up Masters
No. 1 golfer Dustin Johnson slips and hurts his back
- The first golfers at the Masters teed off Thursday morning, but the tournament's biggest development may have occurred before the first shot. On Wednesday, the No. 1 golfer in the world slipped on steps at his rental home in Augusta, Ga., and wrenched his back, reports ESPN . That would...
In Major Shock, Willett
Wins the Masters
Apr 10, 2016 8:00 PM CDT
In Major Shock, Willett Wins the Masters
Defending Masters champion Jordan Spieth threw it away
- Danny Willett in a green jacket was hard to believe considering he wasn't even sure he could play the Masters two weeks ago. No one was more stunned than Jordan Spieth. Nine holes away from another wire-to-wire victory, the defending Masters champion threw it away Sunday with a collapse...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.