Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news reports about animal attacks on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Uses Unusual Method
to Fend Off Crocodile Attack
Nov 11, 2023 10:44 AM CST
Man Uses Unusual Method to Fend Off Crocodile Attack
Australian farmer survives mauling after biting his predator on the eyelid
- "Hey, whatever works" is an Australian cattle farmer's apparent M.O. when it comes to fighting off crocodile attacks. ABC Australia reports that Colin Deveraux, in his mid-60s, was set to be released from the Northern Territory's Royal Darwin Hospital this week after spending almost a month...
After Decade Without Fatal Bear
Attacks, a Chilling Shift in Japan
Nov 9, 2023 5:05 PM CST
After Decade Without Fatal Bear Attacks, a Chilling Shift in Japan
College student among at least 5 people thought to have been killed by bears this year
- Prior to this year, no fatal bear attacks were reported in Japan for more than a decade. Now, police in the country are investigating what's thought to be at least the fifth such attack of 2023. Police on the northern Hokkaido island, where brown bears roam, say the body...
He Turned, Saw
Friend's Head in
Nov 8, 2023 1:05 PM CST
He Turned, Saw Friend's Head in Gator's Mouth
Florida's Marissa Carr says she's lucky to have escaped snorkeling encounter in one piece
- "I'm genuinely just really, really lucky" is not a quote you'd expect from a woman who had an alligator bite her face. But that's what 20-year-old Marissa Carr is saying after encountering a 9-foot male alligator while snorkeling in a clear, spring-fed pond. The Florida woman...
Feeding Elk May Have
Been Her Final Act
Nov 8, 2023 11:00 AM CST
Feeding Elk May Have Been Her Final Act
Woman trampled in what's now considered the first fatal elk attack in Arizona history
- An Arizona woman has died eight days after she was apparently trampled by elk she may have been feeding outside her home. It's thought to be the first fatal elk attack in state history, according to the Arizona Game and Fish Department, which describes five known attacks in as...
Mauled by Shark 'in
the Blink of an Eye'
Nov 1, 2023 7:21 AM CDT
Surfer Fatally Mauled by Shark 'in the Blink of an Eye'
Police are now hunting for body of man off coast of South Australia after Tuesday attack
- A surfboard with a bite mark is all that remained after a surfer off of South Australia's Eyre Peninsula was dragged under the water Tuesday by what witnesses believe was a great white shark. Police confirm they're now looking for the 55-year-old man's body, per 7NEWS , which...
Women Sue After Airbnb
Turns Into 'House of Horror'
Oct 31, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
Women Sue After Airbnb Turns Into 'House of Horror'
Suit against rental site, Michigan homeowners comes after women say they were attacked by bats
- According to its Airbnb listing, the "Castle House" in Alpena, Michigan, is an "incredible historic home" that's "bursting with charm." According to a group of eight women who rented the abode earlier this year, the place is actually like a "horror movie," complete...
They Were Likely Reading in
Tent When Grizzly Attacked
Oct 5, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
They Were Likely Reading in Tent When Grizzly Attacked
Relative identifies the victims as Doug Inglis and Jenny Gusse
- The couple killed by a grizzly bear in Banff National Park on Friday had been together since their university days, a relative tells the CBC of Doug Inglis and Jenny Gusse, both 62. Describing them as "highly, highly experienced in being out back," Colin Inglis says the two...
After Attacks, UK Is
Banning American 'Bully' Dog
Sep 15, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
After Attacks, UK Is Banning American 'Bully' Dog
Prime minister says the breed will be outlawed by the end of the year
- A large breed of dog known as the American Bully XL will be off limits in the UK as of the end of the year, reports the BBC . British Prime Minster Rishi Sunak announced the breed will be banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act after a series of attacks. The...
Zookeeper Killed While
Putting Bug Spray on Rhino
Sep 12, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
Zookeeper Killed While Putting Bug Spray on Rhino
The 33-year-old woman's husband tried to save her
- A rhinoceros attacked a married couple working as zookeepers in Austria on Tuesday, killing the woman and seriously injuring the man as he attempted to save her, authorities said. The attack happened at the Hellbrunn Zoo in the western Austrian city of Salzburg. Zoo director Sabine Grebner told reporters that...
Man on Bear
One Way Out
'Was Through Me'
Aug 5, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Man on Bear Encounter: Its One Way Out 'Was Through Me'
Pennsylvania's John Swartz is OK after bear hiding in his garage bit him on the head
- A Pennsylvania man says he's paying a lot more attention to his surroundings after a surprise attack by a bear in the garage of his home. John Swartz, 60, and his wife Lori, 59, were watching TV at their home outside Danville on the evening of July 27 when...
3 Women Injured in
Montana Otter Attack
Aug 4, 2023 4:51 AM CDT
3 Women Injured in Montana Otter Attack
One of them had to be airlifted to the hospital
- One of three women hurt in a river otter attack in southern Montana was injured so badly that she had to be taken to a hospital by helicopter, authorities say. The Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife, and Parks says the women were floating in inner tubes on the Jefferson River...
Gored by Bison
Jul 19, 2023 9:14 AM CDT
2nd Woman Gored by Bison
This woman was visiting Theodore Roosevelt National Park when she was charged
- A second woman was gored by a bison inside of a week in one of America's national parks, reports the
New York Times .
In the incident on Saturday, a Minnesota woman was visiting Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota when she was attacked by a bison on the...
4 People Attacked by
Dolphins on Japan Beach
Jul 17, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
4 People Attacked by Dolphins on Japan Beach
Officials are warning swimmers away from the water if dolphins are seen
- Over the course of one day on a central Japan beach, four people were attacked by dolphins. Early Sunday, a man in his 60s was attacked a few yards off the popular Suishohama Beach in the town of Mihama, Fukui prefecture; he was left with broken ribs and bites to...
Girl as She
Jul 14, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Huge, Rabid Beaver Attacks Girl as She Swims
Her father beat the animal to death after Georgia attack
- A young girl swimming in a Georgia lake was attacked by a rabid beaver Monday afternoon. The 55-pound animal bit her leg as she swam at Lake Lanier,
reports. Her father "intervened and killed the beaver using blunt-force trauma," according to a statement from Hall County...
Thanks to a Hawk
Jul 13, 2023 11:28 AM CDT
Residents Here Aren't Getting Their Mail, Thanks to a Hawk
USPS says delivery can't resume in Travis Heights area of Austin until aggressive bird stops attacking
- Residents in one Texas neighborhood won't be finding mail in their mailboxes for a few weeks, all because of an aggressive hawk who's been harassing the locals. Axios Austin first reported on Friday that the US Postal Service has suspended mail delivery to the Travis Heights section of...
in the Nose
Jul 3, 2023 12:57 AM CDT
Maine Woman Punches Bear in the Nose
64-year-old was treated for puncture wounds after bear chased her dog
- Maine woman Lynn Kelly was working in her garden Friday morning when her dog began barking before running off into the woods. Kelly, 64, went to see what was going on, and as the frightened dog ran back out of the woods, a bear was following close behind. "The...
He Was Told Not to
Put Hands in Water.
Shark Explains Why
Jun 27, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
He Was Told Not to Put Hands in Water. Shark Explains Why
Florida fisherman bloodied by suspected bull shark after ignoring friend's advice
- The fisherman only wanted to rinse his hands. But it was a move the Florida man will be cursing himself for after a shark apparently mistook his hands for a tasty fish. The unidentified man was fishing with a group in Everglades National Park on Friday morning when he leaned...
Aggressive Orcas Set Their
Sights on Elite Yacht Race
Jun 24, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Aggressive Orcas Set Their Sights on Elite Yacht Race
Pod of killer whales goes after boats taking part in around-the-world Ocean Race near Spain
- A pod of killer whales bumped one of the boats in an endurance sailing race as it approached the Strait of Gibraltar, the latest encounter in what researchers say is a growing trend of sometimes-aggressive interactions with Iberian orcas. The 15-minute run-in with at least three of the giant mammals...
'Simply in Wrong
Place, at Wrong Time'
May 30, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Snorkeler Was 'Simply in Wrong Place, at Wrong Time'
Marcus McGowan managed to pry crocodile's jaws off his head in waters off north coast of Australia
- A snorkeling adventure at a swanky Queensland resort led to a most terrifying crocodile encounter for one Australian man. The BBC and
report that 51-year-old Marcus McGowan was in the water with his wife and friends on Saturday near the Sir Charles Hardy Islands, about 17 miles from the...
He Went Outside
the Bar to Pee.
A Gator Awaited
May 24, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
He Went Outside the Bar to Pee. A Gator Awaited
Jordan Rivera, who lost arm in alligator attack: 'It's not the end of the world'
- For a guy who just lost part of his arm to an alligator, Jordan Rivera has a remarkably good attitude. The 23-year-old was at Banditos Bar in Port Charlotte, Florida, early Sunday when he had to use the bathroom, per WBBH . The lines for the restroom were long, however, so...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.