Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest post-presidency news about President Barack Obama on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
to Book Ban
Jul 18, 2023 2:16 PM CDT
Obama's Dissent to Book Ban Hits TikTok
Former president says censorship of opposing viewpoints is 'profoundly misguided'
- Fighting back against efforts to ban books from schools and public libraries, the American Library Association has found a prominent supporter in former President Obama. In an open letter to the nation's librarians, Obama denounces attempts to censor "some of the books that shaped my life—and...
Obamas React to
Jun 30, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Obamas React to Affirmative Action's Gutting
As does Trump, from the opposite point of view
- Following the Supreme Court ruling gutting affirmative action at US colleges and universities, Michelle Obama came forward to talk about how the policy affected her when she was an undergraduate student at Princeton University. Affirmative action "wasn't perfect," she wrote in a joint statement issued alongside her...
May 16, 2023 1:52 PM CDT
Obama on Marriage: Not Being President Helps
It's nice 'to have a little more time with her,' he says of Michelle
- Asked about a remark Michelle Obama made in which she said she "couldn't stand" her husband for 10 years of their 30-year union, Barack Obama acknowledged that "it sure helps to be out of the White House and to have a little more time with her,"...
Other Presidents Sound
All-Clear on Classified Records
Jan 25, 2023 5:30 PM CST
Other Presidents Sound All-Clear on Classified Records
Obama, Clinton staffs say documents were turned over to National Archives
- With out-of-place classified documents now unearthed in several states and offices, a couple of former presidents made clear Wednesday that there's nothing to find in their garages or studies. The staffs of former Presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton told the Hill on Wednesday that all classified material in...
Michelle Obama: For 10 Years,
'I Couldn't Stand' Barack
in case you missed it
Jan 1, 2023 4:10 PM CST
Michelle Obama: For 10 Years, 'I Couldn't Stand' Barack
This was back when the kids were young, she says in interview
- Barack and Michelle Obama celebrated 30 years of marriage in 2022, but the former first lady wasn't thrilled with her spouse a good chunk of that time. "People think I'm being catty by saying this—it’s like, there were 10 years where I couldn't stand...
to Us Is Here
Dec 24, 2022 7:30 AM CST
Obama's Annual Holiday Gift to Us Is Here
Former president shares his list of favorite books, movies, and music in 2022
- If your favorite part of the year is at the end, when ex-presidents release their "best of" lists, Barack Obama has hooked you up yet again. The 61-year-old former commander in chief has released his annual roundup of favorite books, movies, and songs, and the eclectic mix has something...
Obama Heckled as He Talks
About Political Civility
Oct 30, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
Obama Heckled as He Talks About Political Civility
'Sir, this is what I'm saying,' former president tells crowd member in Michigan
- Barack Obama spoke in Michigan on Saturday as he stumps ahead of the midterms, and one moment in particular from his speech in Detroit was making headlines. As the former president talked about the lack of political civility in today's world, a man in the crowd began heckling him....
to White House,
Sep 7, 2022 1:49 PM CDT
Obamas Return to White House, Unveil Portraits
Tradition was skipped during Trump administration
- For the first time since 2012, a former president has returned to the White House for the unveiling of an official portrait. Barack and Michelle Obama were invited to the White House for a Wednesday ceremony in the East Room, where the public saw their portraits for the first time,...
Barack Obama Is
Halfway to an EGOT
Sep 4, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
Barack Obama Is Halfway to an EGOT
Former president wins Emmy for narrating national parks series
- Barack Obama is halfway to an EGOT. The former president won an Emmy Award on Saturday to go with his two Grammys. Obama won the best narrator Emmy for his work on the Netflix documentary series,
Our Great National Parks
. The five-part show, which features national parks from around the...
National Archives Fact-Checks
Trump on Obama Documents
Aug 13, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
National Archives Fact-Checks Trump on Obama Documents
Agency assures that it has all Obama records
- Former President Donald Trump ran into an obstacle to his what-about deflection posted on social media while the FBI looks over documents it removed from his home, but it didn't slow him down. "President Barack Hussein Obama kept 33 million pages of documents, much of them classified,"...
Has Been Reading
Jul 27, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
What Obama Has Been Reading
Former president is out with his annual summer reading list
- Former President Obama wants Americans to explore why the country is so polarized at the moment and to consider ways in which a democracy can succeed at being both diverse and equal, according to his annual summer reading list. "I've read a couple of great books this year...
Obama, Kid Who Rubbed His
Head in Famous Pic Reunite
May 28, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Obama, Kid Who Rubbed His Head in Famous Pic Reunite
Jacob Philadelphia, 5 when Pete Souza snapped photo, is now 18 and about to graduate high school
- Not every kid gets a video call from former President Barack Obama when they graduate high school. Jacob Philadelphia isn't just any kid, however. In 2009, Jacob, whose dad then served on the National Security Council, visited the White House as a 5-year-old and met up with Obama in...
Obamas Respond to
Roe v. Wade Opinion
May 4, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Obamas Respond to Roe v. Wade Opinion
They argue illegal abortions will risk health and lives
- The Supreme Court looks poised to "reverse nearly 50 years of precedent " and "relegate the most intensely personal decision someone can make to the whims of politicians and ideologues," according to former President Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama, who've issued a concerned statement...
Obama: Tech Firms
Humanity's Worst Impulses'
Apr 22, 2022 6:39 AM CDT
Obama: Tech Firms Are 'Turbo-Charging Humanity's Worst Impulses'
He says changes need to be made to protect democracy
- Barack Obama acknowledged in a speech Thursday that he might never have become president without the efforts of volunteers who organized on "websites like MySpace, Meetup, and Facebook"—but he warned that tech companies are failing to address the darker side of social media. In a keynote speech...
Fiona Hill's Comments
Don't Sit Well With Trump
Apr 12, 2022 11:44 AM CDT
Fiona Hill's Comments Don't Sit Well With Trump
Former adviser accused him of 'pulling a Putin' on Jan. 6
- In an interview with the
New York Times Magazine
, Fiona Hill —a specialist on Russia and Vladimir Putin who advised presidents George W. Bush, Barack Obama, Donald Trump—offered critiques of all three former leaders. For example, she remembers that she "winced" when Obama defied advice and publicly...
Obama Back in White House
for First Time in 5 Years
Apr 5, 2022 4:08 PM CDT
Obama Back in White House for First Time in 5 Years
Yes, he and Biden cracked some jokes
- It's an old haunt he hadn't graced in a while: Former President Barack Obama on Tuesday visited the White House in what CNN reports was his first time in the building in more than five years. Obama had last been there for coffee with then-President-elect Trump on the...
Mar 13, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
Obama Says He's 'Feeling Fine' After Positive Test
Former president reports his only COVID symptom so far is 'a scratchy throat'
- Former President Barack Obama announced Sunday that he tested positive for COVID-19 but so far has just one symptom. "I've had a scratchy throat for a couple days," he tweeted , "but am feeling fine otherwise." The former president said he and his wife, Michelle, are...
Listened to Mitt
Feb 23, 2022 9:50 AM CST
Growing Consensus on Russia: Should've Listened to Mitt
A look back at Romney's 2012 remarks on Russia being 'without question, our No. 1 geopolitical foe'
- As the world waits anxiously for his next move on Ukraine, Vladimir Putin continues to make demands over the crisis, exacerbated this week by his ordering of Russian troops into eastern Ukraine. Now, comments made about Russia a decade ago by Sen. Mitt Romney, then a presidential contender against incumbent...
Obama: Nix the Filibuster,
Pass Voting Rights Legislation
Jan 13, 2022 7:26 AM CST
Obama: Nix the Filibuster, Pass Voting Rights Legislation
In first op-ed since leaving office, former president calls on Senate to 'do the right thing'
- President Biden recently called for altering Senate rules if necessary to remove the obstacle of the filibuster so that voting rights legislation can be passed. Now, a big voice is joining in that same chorus. In what
says is his first op-ed since leaving office in 2017, former...
Bezos Makes 2 Big Donations
Nov 22, 2021 1:00 PM CST
Bezos Makes 2 Big Donations
$100M donation from Amazon founder is largest Obama foundation has ever received
- Barack Obama’s foundation announced Monday that it has received a $100 million donation from Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, which it says is the largest individual contribution it has received to date. The former president's foundation said in a statement that the gift from Bezos is intended "to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.