Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Florida Is Ready to Pave Roads
With Radioactive Substance
May 9, 2023 5:08 PM CDT
Florida Is Ready to Pave Roads With Radioactive Substance
Critics of the bill worry toxic phosphogypsum could taint local waterways
- Lawmakers in Florida have proposed legislation that could change the fabric of the state's infrastructure, reports NPR . The controversial proposal aims to use radioactive material, specifically a waste substance produced by the fertilizer industry called phosphogypsum, as a component in pavement on the state's roads. Bill advocates argue...
It's a Holy Place
—and It's Sinking
Mar 19, 2023 12:48 PM CDT
It's a Holy Place —and It's Sinking
Environmentalist: What looks like development in Joshimath, India, 'is actually devastation'
- For months, the roughly 20,000 residents of the holy town of Joshimath, burrowed in the Himalayas and revered by Hindu and Sikh pilgrims, have watched the earth slowly swallow their community. Multistoried hotels slumped to one side; cracked roads gaped open. More than 860 homes were uninhabitable, splayed by...
Power, Water Knocked
Out Again Across Ukraine
Oct 31, 2022 6:51 AM CDT
Power, Water Knocked Out Again Across Ukraine
Critical infrastructure hit by Russian missile strikes in Kyiv, Kharkiv; 80% in capital without water
- A massive barrage of Russian strikes on Monday morning hit critical infrastructure in Kyiv, Kharkiv, and other cities, knocking out water and power in apparent retaliation for what Moscow alleged was a Ukrainian attack on its Black Sea Fleet over the weekend. The mayor of Ukraine's capital said 80%...
These Are the 'Ticking Time
Bombs' of US Infrastructure
May 6, 2022 9:13 AM CDT
These Are the 'Ticking Time Bombs' of US Infrastructure
AP analysis finds that the number of dams in dangerous condition is on the rise
- Constructed four generations ago, the massive rock and clay dam at El Capitan Reservoir is capable of storing over 36 billion gallons of water, enough to supply every resident in San Diego for most of a year. Today, it's three-quarters empty, intentionally kept low because of concerns it could...
After Bridge Collapses,
a Human Chain Forms
Jan 28, 2022 9:05 AM CST
After Bridge Collapses, a Human Chain Forms
10 suffered minor injuries early Friday in Pittsburgh
- Ten people suffered minor injuries when a two-lane vehicle bridge collapsed in Pittsburgh early Friday, hours before President Biden was due to visit the city to discuss a $1 trillion infrastructure plan . The bridge, which stretches over a wooded ravine and creek in the Point Breeze neighborhood's Frick Park,...
House Democrats Pass
Biden's $2T Social Package
Nov 19, 2021 9:20 AM CST
House Democrats Pass Biden's $2T Social Package
But changes await in the Senate
- A marathon speech by House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy delayed but could not stop the inevitable: The House on Friday passed a nearly $2 trillion spending plan for social programs and the environment sought by President Biden, reports the AP . The vote was along party lines, save for a lone...
Biden: 'Your Life Is Going
to Change for the Better'
Nov 15, 2021 4:24 PM CST
Biden: 'Your Life Is Going to Change for the Better'
He signs $1T infrastructure bill
- President Biden signed his $1 trillion infrastructure deal into law Monday on the White House lawn, hailing it as an example of what bipartisanship can achieve. The president hopes to use the law to build back his popularity and says it will deliver jobs, clean water, high-speed internet, and a...
Virginia Beach Votes to Up
Taxes to Fend Off Rising Seas
Nov 3, 2021 4:16 PM CDT
Virginia Beach Votes to Up Taxes to Fend Off Rising Seas
Residents OK $568M bond to pay for infrastructure projects
- Voters in Virginia Beach have approved one of the larger bonds in the US to pay for infrastructure projects to guard against rising seas and intensifying hurricanes, suggesting that more Americans are finally willing to spend tax dollars to adapt to climate change. Tuesday's "yes" vote earned nearly...
Buttigiegs' Halloween Post
Brings Both Smiles, Concern
Nov 1, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
Buttigiegs' Halloween Post Brings Both Smiles, Concern
2-month-old Joseph August, who was a traffic cone for Halloween, was in hospital for the holiday
- A Halloween surprise from the Buttigieg family drew both likes and expressions of support after an Instagram post by the transportation secretary's husband. "Happy Halloween from these #twinfrastructure safety advocates!" Chasten Buttigieg wrote , with one of his accompanying pictures showing Pete Buttigieg as he held one of...
Biden Betting the Farm
on Manchin, Sinema
Sep 29, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
Biden Betting the Farm on Manchin, Sinema
Getting them on board with his $3.5T package is key for infrastructure bill, too
- "Biden bets it all on unlocking the Manchinema puzzle" is Politico's assessment of the fate of the president's $3.5 trillion package to expand the social safety net. CBS News explains why: The bill has zero support from Republicans, meaning it can only pass via a budgetary...
Pelosi: House Will Hold Off
on Infrastructure Bill Vote
Aug 11, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Pelosi: House Will Hold Off on Infrastructure Bill Vote
House Dems will wait until larger $3.5T package has also cleared Senate
- A $1 trillion infrastructure passed the Senate with bipartisan support Tuesday—but House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is resisting pressure from moderate Democrats to bring it up for a vote immediately. Sources tell the Hill that during a call with House Democrats on Wednesday, Pelosi said she was sticking to her...
Senate Launches 'Vote-a-Rama'
on $3.5T Budget Blueprint
Aug 10, 2021 8:09 PM CDT
Senate Launches 'Vote-a-Rama' on $3.5T Budget Blueprint
Amendment against defunding police passes 99-0
- Democrats pushed their expansive $3.5 trillion framework for bolstering family services, health, and environment programs toward Senate passage Tuesday, as Republicans unleashed an avalanche of amendments aimed at making their rivals pay a price in next year’s elections. Congressional approval of the budget resolution, which seems assured, would...
Senate Passes Massive
Infrastructure Bill, 69-30
Aug 10, 2021 11:04 AM CDT
Senate Passes Massive Infrastructure Bill, 69-30
It's seen as a bipartisan win for President Biden
- With a robust vote after weeks of fits and starts, the Senate approved a $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure plan on Tuesday, a rare coalition of Democrats and Republicans joining to overcome skeptics and deliver a cornerstone of President Biden's agenda, per the AP . The 69-30 tally provides momentum for...
Old World Meets New
in Latest DC Hangup
Aug 6, 2021 2:12 PM CDT
Old World Meets New in Latest DC Hangup
Infrastructure bill is stalled by disagreement over cryptocurrency
- An old-school political issue—infrastructure—is getting bogged down by the most newfangled of topics. Cryptocurrency. It seems that the giant, bipartisan infrastructure bill is hung up because senators can't agree on how much to regulate the burgeoning field, reports the Hill . The details get convoluted, both in terms...
Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill
Is In—and It's Massive
Aug 2, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill Is In—and It's Massive
Senators unveil $1T package Sunday night
- After much delay, senators unveiled a nearly $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure package, wrapping up days of painstaking work on the inches-thick bill and launching what is certain to be a lengthy debate over President Biden’s big priority. The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act clocked in at some 2,700...
Senators Vote to Work on
$1T Infrastructure Plan
Jul 28, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Senators Vote to Work on $1T Infrastructure Plan
Package passes test vote, 67-32, and moves toward debate
- Senators of both parties voted Wednesday night to get started on President Biden's $1 trillion infrastructure plan. The 67-32 vote puts the Senate on schedule to begin debate on the package this week, the
reports, a full month after Biden had announced that a deal had been...
Deal to Replace
100% of Lead Pipes
Jun 28, 2021 7:06 PM CDT
White House: Deal to Replace 100% of Lead Pipes
Infrastructure agreement includes $55B for water projects
- The version of President Biden's infrastructure spending plan that Republicans and Democrats agreed to last week includes replacing every lead pipe in the nation. A White House memo said the legislation "will replace 100% of the nation's lead pipes and service lines," and White House press...
Biden on Infrastructure:
'We Have a Deal'
Jun 24, 2021 1:32 PM CDT
Biden on Infrastructure: 'We Have a Deal'
President announces bipartisan agreement, though passage remains tricky
- President Biden has his long-sought bipartisan deal on infrastructure. Whether it becomes legislative reality is a trickier question. "We have a deal," Biden announced at the White House on Thursday, flanked by Democratic and Republican senators who crafted the compromise, reports the Hill . The nearly $1 trillion plan...
Talks With GOP Collapse
Jun 8, 2021 6:12 PM CDT
Biden's Infrastructure Talks With GOP Collapse
Focus shifts to bipartisan group of senators
- After weeks of talks, President Biden has failed to build a bridge between Democrats and Republicans on his infrastructure package. GOP Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, the chief Republican negotiator, said Tuesday that Biden had ended the talks, NBC reports. She said Biden turned down a "very robust and targeted...
Biden Reportedly Offers
Concession to Republicans
Jun 3, 2021 1:19 PM CDT
Biden Reportedly Offers Concession to Republicans
He's willing to keep 2017 tax cuts in place as part of infrastructure deal
- President Biden and Republicans continue to haggle over the scope of the president's massive infrastructure proposal , and new reports say Biden is willing to make a key concession. The
says the president is willing to forgo his demand that the top corporate tax rate rise from 21%...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.