Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Rare Memento From
Night Lincoln Was Shot
Just Sold for Big Bucks
Sep 26, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Rare Memento From Night Lincoln Was Shot Just Sold for Big Bucks
RR Auction hawks 2 front-row balcony tickets from Ford's Theatre for $262K
- A pair of front-row balcony tickets to Ford's Theatre on April 14, 1865—the night President Lincoln was shot by John Wilkes Booth—have sold at auction for $262,500, according to a Boston-based auction house. The tickets are stamped with the words "Ford's Theatre, APR 14,...
Unpublished Lincoln Letter
About DC Defenses to Be Sold
Jul 5, 2023 4:36 PM CDT
Unpublished Lincoln Letter About DC Defenses to Be Sold
President answered request for larger civil engineer corps
- More than 160 years after it was written, a letter from President Abraham Lincoln sent during the Civil War has been discovered. Nathan Raab, a collector of Civil War artifacts, plans to put the letter up for sale , saying there's no record that it's ever been published or...
May Be as Old as Honest Abe
Feb 28, 2023 1:54 PM CST
'Aber-clam Lincoln' May Be as Old as Honest Abe
Massive quahog believed to be 4th oldest clam ever found, reports 'Tallahassee Democrat'
- Abraham Lincoln was born in 1809 and apparently so, too, was Abra-clam Lincoln, believed to be the fourth oldest clam ever discovered. Blaine Parker of Florida was collecting shellfish for chowder when he unearthed the quahog clam , whose shell could've served as a soup bowl. Most quahogs are three...
This Painting Allegedly
Made Mary Lincoln Faint
Feb 10, 2023 1:10 PM CST
This Painting Allegedly Made Mary Lincoln Faint
Life-size painting is in National Portrait Galley after many decades of obscurity
- A painting of Abraham Lincoln so lifelike it was said to have made Mary Lincoln faint when she first set eyes on it at an exhibition in 1876 is now on display at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, DC. The 9-foot painting shows Lincoln at his full 6-foot-4 height,...
Claims to Have
Settled an Enduring
in case you missed it
Nov 26, 2022 4:50 PM CST
Researcher Claims to Have Settled an Enduring Lincoln Question
Gettysburg Address given 20 yards from where most historians thought it happened
- On November 19, 1863, Abraham Lincoln appeared at the dedication of the national cemetery at Gettysburg Battlefield and predicted that "the world will little note, nor long remember what we say here." Of course, that was wildly inaccurate, as the president's Gettysburg Address would prove to be...
GOP Governor Nixes
'Relic of the Confederacy'
May 20, 2021 7:57 AM CDT
GOP Governor Nixes 'Relic of the Confederacy'
Larry Hogan approves repeal of Maryland's Civil War-era state song, which refers to 'Northern scum'
- Since 1939, "Maryland, My Maryland" has served as Maryland's state song, but its 82-year-old reign has just come to an end. On Tuesday, Gov. Larry Hogan OKed a repeal of the Civil War-era tune after a longtime bipartisan effort to nix it over its controversial lyrics—including referring...
Exhibit: Mrs. Lincoln's
Was Due to Grief
May 3, 2021 9:05 AM CDT
Exhibit: Mrs. Lincoln's 'Erratic' Behavior Was Due to Grief
She wasn't insane, just feeling deep loss of her husband, 3 children, per exhibit at Lincoln museum
- After Abraham Lincoln's assassination in April 1865, his wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, descended into a cycle of what History.com calls "erratic" behavior, complete with "unearthly shrieks" and "terrible convulsions." This behavior, considered an improper attention-grab at the time for women of her stature, led...
Lawmakers Vote to Drop
State Song Urging Secession
Mar 29, 2021 6:38 PM CDT
Lawmakers Vote to Drop State Song Urging Secession
Written in 1861, the lyrics praise Confederacy and rip Lincoln
- There's no law against singing about "Northern scum," but Maryland legislators have decided they don't want the lyrics in their state song anymore. A measure to remove the official designation from "Maryland, My Maryland" passed Monday. It's been the state song since 1939, though...
No Marker Honors First
Black Person Lincoln
Helped to Free
Feb 16, 2021 1:45 PM CST
No Marker Honors First Black Person Lincoln Helped to Free
Nance Legins-Costley's case influenced future president's views on slavery, historians say
- It's not easy to trace the amazing story of Nance Legins-Costley. It doesn't fill history books, and even her gravesite is unmarked. But her role in history is significant,
reports. In 1841, she won her freedom in a case before the Illinois Supreme Court. Her attorney...
Lincoln, or Feinstein
on City's Schools
Jan 28, 2021 3:33 AM CST
No Washington, Lincoln, or Feinstein on City's Schools
Mayor would prefer the board work on a reopening plan
- Gone are a slew of historical figures, including Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln—as well as the much more recent Dianne Feinstein. The San Francisco Board of Education has voted to take those names and others off 44 of its schools. The board has for years debated whether to rename buildings...
Boston Takes Down
a Lincoln Statue
Dec 29, 2020 1:26 PM CST
Boston Takes Down a Lincoln Statue
Also features a kneeling slave, and critics called it demeaning
- A statue of Abraham Lincoln with a freed slave appearing to kneel at his feet has been removed from its perch in downtown Boston. Workers removed the Emancipation Memorial, also known as the Emancipation Group and the Freedman's Memorial, early Tuesday from a park where it had stood since...
It's a Photo of a
Bearded Dead Man.
Could It Be Priceless?
in case you missed it
Oct 4, 2020 7:31 AM CDT
It's a Photo of a Bearded Dead Man. Could It Be Priceless?
Some experts believe the dead man is Abraham Lincoln
- The image is haunting, depicting a gaunt-faced man with a familiar beard, staring ahead lifelessly. The right eye is bulging and appears disfigured from an unseen wound. Some experts believe the man is Abraham Lincoln, captured hours after the nation's 16th president succumbed to an assassin's bullet on...
A Lock of Famous Hair
Sells for $81K
Sep 14, 2020 8:53 AM CDT
A Lock of Famous Hair Sells for $81K
It was taken from Abraham Lincoln in postmortem exam
- A lock of Abraham Lincoln’s hair along with a blood-stained telegram about his 1865 assassination have been sold at auction for more than $81,000, reports the AP . No information about the buyer was disclosed. The roughly 2-inch long lock of hair was removed during Lincoln’s postmortem examination...
President's Hair, Bloody
Telegram Up for Auction
Aug 29, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
President's Hair, Bloody Telegram Up for Auction
Abraham Lincoln's hair is expected to fetch at least $75K
- This is one macabre auction: A lock of Abraham Lincoln's hair, wrapped in a bloodstained telegram about his 1865 assassination, is up for sale, the AP reports. Boston-based RR Auction said bidding has opened online for the items ahead of a live auction scheduled for Sept. 12 in New...
Study Has Bad News About
Lincoln Museum's Famous Hat
Dec 24, 2019 5:05 PM CST
Study Has Bad News About Lincoln Museum's Famous Hat
Finds no evidence that it actually belonged to Abe
- A new study has found no evidence to corroborate that a beaver-skin stovepipe hat—for years a centerpiece of Illinois' Abraham Lincoln museum—ever actually belonged to the 16th president, per the AP . Among the findings spelled out in a 54-page report was that the hat, once appraised at $6....
Just Came True
Nov 30, 2019 2:35 PM CST
Trump's Wild Polling Boast Just Came True
The GOP likes him better than Abe Lincoln
- President Trump's polling dream has become a reality. A new Economist/YouGov weekly survey says 53% of Republicans consider Trump a better president than Abraham Lincoln, compared to 47% for Honest Abe, the Hill reports. But across parties and independents, Lincoln still wins by a firm 75% to 25%. Maybe...
May 26, 2019 7:19 AM CDT
Jon Voight: Trump's the Greatest Since Lincoln
Alyssa Milano dismisses him as an 'F-lister trying to stay relevant'
- Eighty-year-old actor Jon Voight took to Twitter on Friday night to proclaim his love of President Trump in a pair of videos that said the president's job "is not easy" as he has to fight "the left and their absurd words of destruction," though he has...
Land Lincoln Bought From
Cash-Strapped Dad Is Sold
Feb 12, 2019 3:33 PM CST
Land Lincoln Bought From Cash-Strapped Dad Is Sold
The 30 acres go for $300K
- A plot of Illinois farmland that President Abraham Lincoln once owned has sold at auction for $300,000. A retired farmer in the central Illinois city of Charleston sold his family's 590-acre farm, which includes the 30-acre plot once owned by the nation's 16th president. The
They Spent Millions on a Hat
That Could Be Worth Nothing
Sep 24, 2018 8:13 AM CDT
They Spent Millions on a Hat That Could Be Worth Nothing
FBI, Smithsonian reports find no conclusive evidence hat was ever Abraham Lincoln's
- It could be a $6.5 million hat—but it might also not be. WBEZ reports that the crown jewel of the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum's collection, Lincoln's stovepipe hat, one of just three thought to still exist, may not have belonged to the 16th president...
Joke About RBG,
Sep 21, 2018 7:15 AM CDT
GOP Congressman Makes 'Inappropriate' Joke About RBG, Lincoln
SC rep Ralph Norman's 'groping' humor isn't going over well
- "Scattered nervous laughter" was the first response to a joke a GOP congressman made during an election debate in South Carolina on Thursday, notes Roll Call . But disgust and "condemnation" took over afterward toward what some called an "inappropriate" reference to sexual assault allegations against Supreme Court...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.