Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Big Political Fight Everyone
Predicted Is Getting Underway
Jan 13, 2023 1:21 PM CST
Big Political Fight Everyone Predicted Is Getting Underway
Treasury's Yellen says the US is about to hit debt limit, prelude to showdown in Congress
- In other years, it might be a humdrum political matter: Treasury chief Janet Yellen told Congress on Friday the nation will hit its debt limit on Thursday, reports Politico . This year, however, the warning is expected to begin what promises to be a protracted and high-stakes fight between the White...
GOPers Cheer Removal
of 'Hunk of Garbage' at Capitol
Jan 4, 2023 6:42 AM CST
GOPers Cheer Removal of 'Hunk of Garbage' at Capitol
Republicans remove controversial metal detectors outside of House chamber put in place after Jan. 6
- Little else is getting done as Republicans hash out who's going to be the next speaker of the House, but one order of business important to the GOP did take place Tuesday: The metal detectors outside of the chamber, installed at the order of then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi after the...
McCarthy Fails to Win
Speakership on First Ballot
Jan 3, 2023 12:57 PM CST
McCarthy Fails to Win Speakership on First Ballot
House must keep voting until a speaker is selected
- So who will be the next House speaker? After one round of voting in the chamber, the answer remains unclear. Frontrunner Kevin McCarthy, who served as House Minority Leader when Democrats were in charge, failed to get the necessary 218 votes on the first ballot, reports the
It's Killing Me
That a 'Con Man'
Gets My Seat
Jan 3, 2023 7:40 AM CST
Lawmaker: It's Killing Me That a 'Con Man' Gets My Seat
Tom Suozzi wonders how George Santos will be able to function in Congress
- Lots of people are unhappy that George Santos, who has been caught lying about nearly every aspect of his background, is being sworn into Congress on Tuesday. That includes fellow Republicans, notes Politico . But one person in particular has more reason than most to vent—Democrat Tom Suozzi, the New...
She's Set to Be
Woman in Congress
Jan 2, 2023 9:35 AM CST
She's Set to Be Longest-Serving Woman in Congress
Ohio Democrat Marcy Kaptur was first elected in 1982
- When the new Congress convenes on Tuesday, Ohio Democratic Rep. Marcy Kaptur will become the longest-serving woman in its history. Yet after 40 years, she sometimes feels like an outsider, reports the AP . Not because she's a woman or now in the minority party in the House. It's...
Big Changes on Horizon
for Your 401(k)
Dec 22, 2022 11:27 AM CST
Big Changes on Horizon for Your 401(k)
Congress is poised to pass legislation on retirement savings
- The massive spending package that Congress is poised to pass before Friday includes tangible changes for ordinary Americans when it comes to retirement savings—particularly 401(k) savings. Some of the proposed changes as part of the Secure Act 2.0 legislation:
Most employers would be required to automatically enroll
Zelensky Puts Ukraine's Fight
in Historically American Terms
Dec 21, 2022 8:10 PM CST
Zelensky Puts Ukraine's Fight in Historically American Terms
Address to joint session to Congress sets the stakes and expresses gratitude
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky addressed a joint session of Congress on Wednesday night, thanking "every American" for supporting the fight against Russia's invasion while likening his nation's struggle to past US battles to ensure independence. Despite being under attack for 10 months, Zelensky said in a speech...
$1.7T Spending Bill
to Avert Shutdown
Dec 20, 2022 2:58 AM CST
Lawmakers Unveil $1.7T Spending Bill to Avert Shutdown
Congress racing to pass bill before Friday deadline
- Congressional leaders unveiled a $1.7 trillion spending package early Tuesday that includes another large round of aid to Ukraine, a nearly 10% boost in defense spending, and roughly $40 billon to assist communities across the country recovering from drought, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. The bill includes about $772....
OK, I'll Talk to Congress
Dec 9, 2022 1:45 PM CST
Sam Bankman-Fried: OK, I'll Talk to Congress
Ex-CEO of failed FTX set to appear Tuesday in front of House Committee on Financial Services
- Sam Bankman-Fried has been talking to the media about the collapse of his FTX cryptocurrency firm, and now he says he's willing to talk to Congress, too. CNBC reports that Bankman-Fried announced as much Friday in a series of tweets , writing that he'll be at the Tuesday morning...
House Clears Landmark Bill
Protecting Same-Sex Marriage
Dec 8, 2022 12:06 PM CST
House Clears Landmark Bill Protecting Same-Sex Marriage
Nancy Pelosi presides over 258-169 vote in one of her final acts as speaker
- The House gave final approval Thursday to legislation protecting same-sex marriages, a monumental step in a decades-long battle for nationwide recognition of such unions that reflects a stunning turnaround in societal attitudes, per the AP . President Biden is expected to promptly sign the measure, which requires all states to recognize...
Senate Joins House in Voting
to Impose Railroad Contract
Dec 1, 2022 3:59 PM CST
Senate Joins House in Voting to Impose Railroad Contract
Legislation prohibiting shutdown goes to Biden for his signature
- The Senate moved quickly Thursday to avert a rail strike that the Biden administration and business leaders warned would have devastating consequences for the nation's economy. The Senate passed a bill to bind rail companies and workers to a proposed settlement that was reached between the rail companies and...
Biden Asks Congress
to Block Rail Shutdown
Nov 28, 2022 7:40 PM CST
Biden Asks Congress to Block Rail Shutdown
Pelosi agrees to have House take up legislation this week
- President Biden urged Congress on Monday evening to immediately approve legislation that would head off a railroad shutdown by forcing workers and companies to enact the tentative agreement they reached in September. Without final approval of the deal, a shutdown could begin Dec. 9, per Axios . "As a proud...
Nancy Pelosi Giving Up
Party Leadership Post
Nov 17, 2022 11:36 AM CST
Nancy Pelosi Giving Up Party Leadership Post
But she is not retiring from Congress
- Nancy Pelosi won't be House speaker next year , but she's not retiring from Congress, either. In a speech Thursday to the House, Pelosi told her fellow lawmakers that she would continue to represent her San Francisco constituents but would not seek re-election to a leadership position in the...
'I Wouldn't Be
Surprised' if a
Lawmaker Is Killed
Oct 3, 2022 1:42 AM CDT
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
'New York Times' looks at the rise in violent threats against House, Senate members
- Amid an increasingly tense political atmosphere and as the midterm elections loom, lawmakers are concerned about what the
New York Times
describes as a "surge" of violent threats and in-person confrontations. "I wouldn’t be surprised if a senator or House member were killed," Sen. Susan Collins...
After 233 Years, Congress Has
Full Indigenous Representation
Sep 21, 2022 4:19 PM CDT
After 233 Years, Congress Has Full Indigenous Representation
Lawmaker points out the difference Peltola's election made
- When Rep. Mary Peltola took the oath of office last week, a demographic milestone was achieved not just for Alaska Natives, but for Indigenous Americans in general. For the first time in the history of Congress, the nation's Indigenous people are represented—by a Native American, an Alaska Native,...
Her Alaskan Election Surprise
May Lead to History
Aug 18, 2022 12:37 PM CDT
Her Alaskan Election Surprise May Lead to History
Democrat Mary Peltola has a decent chance to become first Alaska Native in Congress
- One of the bigger surprises from this week's primary voting came out of Alaska , where Democrat Mary Peltola leads Sarah Palin and a slew of other Republicans in the race to be the state's lone member of Congress. The seat is vacant because of the death of Republican...
Police Change Account
of Lawmaker's Fatal Crash
Aug 4, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Police Change Account of Lawmaker's Fatal Crash
SUV with Rep. Jackie Walorski is the one that crossed the center line, say police in Indiana
Indiana police on Thursday changed their account of the car accident that killed Rep. Jackie Walorski, two aides, and the driver of the other vehicle. Police now say it was Walorski's SUV—driven by 27-year-old Zachery Potts—that crossed the center line and crashed head-on with a vehicle...
Who Lost Full
Jul 29, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
GM Retirees Who Lost Full Pensions Turn to Congress
Bankruptcy deal cut payments and benefits for 20K Delphi workers
- Dave Muffley thought he had it made when it came to a solid retirement. The Indiana man spent roughly 30 years as a salaried maintenance technician for Delphi Corp., a subsidiary of General Motors, and expected to retire with a comfortable income by the time he hit 62. But when...
Billions for Chip Industry
Jul 28, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Billions for Chip Industry
Biden wins GOP support for measure to create high-tech jobs and compete with China
- The House on Thursday passed a $280 billion package to boost the semiconductor industry and scientific research in a bid to create more high-tech jobs in the US and help it better compete with international rivals, namely China. The House approved the bill by a solid margin of 243-187, sending...
With Words and
Need for US Aid
Jul 20, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
With Words and Jarring Images, Zelenska Frames Need for US Aid
Ukraine's first lady makes a stark and direct appeal to Congress, showing the war's toll on children
- Ukrainian first lady Olena Zelenska, who has called herself "a non-public person," stood in the US Capitol on Wednesday and starkly made the case for more US air defense systems to block Russian missiles. She showed America's most powerful lawmakers images of the toll of Russian bombardment...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.