Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Risky Hernia Procedure
Is Gaining Popularity
Nov 5, 2023 4:25 PM CST
A Risky Hernia Procedure Is Gaining Popularity
'New York Times' takes a in-depth look at component separation
- Some doctors are learning how to perform a complicated and risky medical procedure that has recently gained popularity by watching online videos or attending quick trainings. And the
New York Times
reports that in a growing number of cases, patients are being left painfully disfigured after going under the knife....
Sophia Loren, 89, Takes a
Fall at Her Swiss Home
Sep 25, 2023 11:07 AM CDT
Sophia Loren, 89, Takes a Fall at Her Swiss Home
Movie legend is now recuperating after surgery for a leg fracture 'went very well'
- Film legend Sophia Loren is recovering from successful surgery for a leg fracture after she fell in her Switzerland home, an agent for the 89-year-old Italian actor said Monday. Agent Andrea Giusti said in an email that Loren fell in a bathroom on Sunday and that the surgery was performed...
She Griped of Pain for Over a
Year. Then, a Surprising Find
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 9, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
She Griped of Pain for Over a Year. Then, a Surprising Find
Dinner plate-sized surgical device was left in New Zealand woman's belly after C-section in 2020
- A New Zealand woman who gave birth by cesarean section in 2020 lived for 18 months with a surgical device "about the size of a dinner plate" concealed in her abdomen, according to a report released Monday. The unnamed woman in her 20s complained of chronic pain in the...
Female Surgeons Take
Longer, With Better Results
Aug 30, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Female Surgeons Take Longer, With Better Results
2 large studies find that patients of male surgeons have more complications
- Two studies involving more than a million patients in Canada and Sweden arrived at the same conclusion: Patients operated on by female surgeons have better outcomes than those operated on by men. The studies found that the difference was small but consistent, even when factors like case complexity were taken...
Jun 7, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Pope Francis' Surgery Was Successful
Surgeon says Francis cracked joke afterward
- Pope Francis underwent successful surgery Wednesday to remove intestinal scar tissue and repair a hernia in his abdominal wall. The Vatican said there were no complications during the three-hour surgery, which required the 86-year-old to be under general anesthesia, the AP reports. The pontiff is expected to remain at Rome’...
Bo Knows Hiccups,
a Little Too Well
May 11, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Bo Knows Hiccups, a Little Too Well
Elite retired NFL, MLB athlete, who's had the condition for nearly a year, is getting surgery
- We all know how annoying it is to be stricken with a bout of hiccups, but few of us can attest to what it's like when those spasms go on for almost a full year. Elite athlete Bo Jackson now falls in the latter group, and he's "...
Ukrainian Soldier's Case 'Will
Go Down in Medical Textbooks'
in case you missed it
Jan 15, 2023 3:55 PM CST
Ukrainian Soldier's Case 'Will Go Down in Medical Textbooks'
Unexploded grenade successfully removed from soldier's chest, military says
- Imagine living with an unexploded grenade, at risk of going off at any moment, lodged just below your heart. That was the reality for a Ukrainian soldier until recently. Doctors succeeded in removing the explosive from the chest of the man in his late 20s during surgery overseen by soldiers,...
Plastic Surgeon Charged
After Young Patient's Death
Feb 18, 2022 11:59 AM CST
Plastic Surgeon Charged After Young Patient's Death
Emmalyn Nguyen suffered cardiac arrest during surgery, died 14 months later
A plastic surgeon has been arrested in Colorado after an 18-year-old patient died following breast augmentation surgery. Emmalyn Nguyen died 14 months after the August 2019 surgery left her in a vegetative state. After a "lengthy criminal investigation," the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office said it issued...
Surgeon Fined for
Amputating Wrong Leg
Dec 2, 2021 4:58 AM CST
Surgeon Fined for Amputating Wrong Leg
Austrian surgeon blamed a problem with the chain of command
- A surgeon in Austria who removed the wrong leg from an elderly patient earlier this year in what the hospital called a "tragic mistake" has been fined the equivalent of around $3,000, with half of it suspended. A court found the 43-year-old surgeon guilty of gross negligence, the...
Oct 28, 2021 4:31 PM CDT
Doctor Sleeps Through Surgery
Boston surgeon ate in his car, then nodded off
- A wait for a doctor can be long, but it was especially painful for a patient needing emergency ankle surgery at Boston Medical Center. The patient had been taken into an operating room by two doctors, one of whom then said he had to eat first. He left, went to...
Man Gets Prison Time After
Botched Castration in Cabin
Sep 21, 2021 4:08 PM CDT
Man Gets Prison Time After Botched Castration in Cabin
Victim claims unlicensed surgeon Bob Lee Allen said he would eat his body parts
- A man in Oklahoma arrested last year on charges of performing an illegal surgery has been sentenced to two years in jail and 10 years in prison. Bob Lee Allen, 54, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit unlicensed surgery, practicing medicine without a license, and attempted distribution of a psychedelic...
Hit by Ball in the Face,
Pitcher to Need Surgery
Aug 18, 2021 4:01 PM CDT
Hit by Ball in the Face, Pitcher to Need Surgery
Chris Bassitt fell to the ground but remained conscious
- Oakland A's pitcher Chris Bassitt will need surgery to repair a cheek fracture after being struck in the face by a line drive Tuesday night. In the second inning in Chicago, Brian Goodwin of the White Sox hit a pitch from Bassitt right back up the middle, measured at...
Speaks at Hospital
Jul 11, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Recovering Pope Speaks at Hospital
In appearance during recovery from surgery, Francis stresses need for free health care
- Pope Francis led prayers before a Rome crowd Sunday as he does every week, albeit from a different balcony this time. "I am happy to be able to keep the Sunday appointment of the Angelus, even here from the Gemelli Polyclinic," the pope said from a balcony on...
Update Is In
Jul 5, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Update Is In After Pope's Surgery
Vatican says the pontiff is 'alert,' in 'good' condition after procedure for narrowed intestine
- It's not unusual for people to be slightly nervous when an 84-year-old goes in for surgery—even less so when it's the pontiff. But it looks like all has gone according to plan for Pope Francis, who underwent a procedure Sunday to remedy a narrowing of his large...
Goes In for
Jul 4, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Pope Francis Goes In for Surgery
Intestinal procedure had been planned, Vatican says
- Pope Francis went Sunday to a Rome hospital for scheduled surgery for a stenosis, or restriction, of the large intestine, the Vatican said. The brief announcement from the Holy See's press office didn’t say exactly when the surgery would be performed but said there would be an announcement...
Doctors: We Pulled Off the
'Holy Grail' of Surgeries
in case you missed it
Apr 10, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Doctors: We Pulled Off the 'Holy Grail' of Surgeries
NYC medical team says it has performed first complete surgical transplant of a trachea
- In 2014, Sonia Sein was hospitalized after a bad asthma attack. The resulting intubation damaged her windpipe, and multiple surgeries didn't help, so doctors finally cut a hole in her throat and inserted a tracheostomy tube. In the six years after, Sein still labored to breathe, forcing her to...
Tiger Woods Is
Out of Surgery
Feb 24, 2021 7:04 AM CST
Tiger Woods Is Out of Surgery
Golfer suffered multiple fractures in right leg and ankle, is 'awake, responsive'
- Tiger Woods is out of surgery following Tuesday's serious car accident in which he sustained multiple leg injuries. The golf legend is "awake, responsive, and recovering in his hospital room," according to a statement posted to his Twitter account. It describes "a long surgical procedure on...
Dog, 2 Pups Die After 'Unjust
Cruelty' Seen in TikTok Video
Feb 18, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Dog, 2 Pups Die After 'Unjust Cruelty' Seen in TikTok Video
2 Florida men arrested after illegal surgery performed by non-vet on pregnant French bulldog
- A French bulldog and two of her puppies are dead, and two Florida men have been arrested after a botched surgery that went viral on TikTok. An affidavit cited by the
alleges that Larry Colon, 50, forked over $650 to 33-year-old Frankie Huertas-Rivera to perform a C-section on...
Contestant to Surgery
Nov 3, 2020 7:21 AM CST
Loses a Contestant to Surgery
Jeannie Mai told her throat 'would have closed up'
- Jeannie Mai will have to dance another day.
host withdrew from season 29 of
Dancing With the Stars
on Monday following emergency surgery to correct a potentially life-threatening condition. Mai was diagnosed with epiglottitis, the swelling of the cartilage that covers the windpipe, which can block air flow...
Children's Hospital Sorry for
'Harmful' Intersex Surgeries
Jul 30, 2020 7:28 AM CDT
Children's Hospital Sorry for 'Harmful' Intersex Surgeries
It says cosmetic procedures should wait until a person is able to consent
- A children's hospital in Chicago has apologized for its "harmful and wrong" approach to genital surgery on infants born "intersex," with genitals that don't correspond to the usual definitions of male or female. The Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital, which was responding...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.