Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
1631 Bible Is Missing
a Very Important Word
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 7, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
1631 Bible Is Missing a Very Important Word
'Wicked Bible' dropped word 'not,' inadvertently encouraged adultery
- It's considered "one of the most serious blunders in publishing history," according to the University of Canterbury in New Zealand. But also one of the funniest: A Bible printed in England in 1631 left out the word "not" in the Seventh Commandment and thus instructed readers:...
'Aura of Light' Fuels
a Mount Sinai Theory
in case you missed it
Jan 2, 2022 1:05 PM CST
'Aura of Light' Fuels a Mount Sinai Theory
Light on a canyon wall creates a 'burning bush' effect
- In the Book of Exodus , Moses went to Mount Sinai, and, there, "the angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up." A fascinating piece from the
Was a Vicious Cosmic Airburst
Behind the Story of Sodom?
Sep 22, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Was a Vicious Cosmic Airburst Behind the Story of Sodom?
Researchers say exploding meteor wiped out Tall el-Hammam 3,600 years ago
- The biblical city of Sodom was destroyed by "brimstone and fire," as the book of Genesis tells it. Now scientists say it's possible that story is the written down version of the oral tradition of what befell an ancient Middle Eastern city now called Tall el-Hammam, which...
New Bible Adds
Words of Constitution
and Lee Greenwood
May 30, 2021 12:25 PM CDT
New Bible Adds Words of Constitution and Lee Greenwood
Opponents see blasphemy and Christian nationalism in the project, whose marketer says it's about unity
- The Book of Revelation warns that anyone who takes it upon themselves to add text to the Bible will be punished. Hugh Kirkpatrick is undeterred. His new publishing project will combine the words of the Bible, the US Constitution, and Lee Greenwood. The
God Bless the USA Bible
His Ancient Find Was 'Too
Good to Be True.' Maybe Not
Mar 10, 2021 12:00 PM CST
His Ancient Find Was 'Too Good to Be True.' Maybe Not
Inside new research on what one scholar says is a precursor to the Book of Deuteronomy
- Biblical scholar Idan Dershowitz started a fellowship at Harvard's Society of Fellows in 2017 , and he sent emails to its chairman about a theory he had about 15 manuscript fragments found more than a century ago. The response he got: "You're crazy, I don't want to...
Bible Reading Was
a Little Too Prophetic
Aug 11, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
Bible Reading Was a Little Too Prophetic
North Carolina parishioners read passage about an earthquake and immediately felt one
- The Bible passage was chosen well in advance, but the timing could not have been more perfect. "After the wind there was an earthquake," read members of St. Gabriel's Catholic Church in Charlotte, North Carolina, during an outdoor mass on Sunday morning, reports the
'Explosive' Biblical Fragment
Leads to Scholar's Arrest
in case you missed it
May 17, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
'Explosive' Biblical Fragment Leads to Scholar's Arrest
Dirk Obbink, once a leading papyrologist, is now in hot water
- Dirk Obbink seemed eerily calm when a reporter knocked on his door near Oxford University last year. "I'd like to tell it," the scholar said of his alleged role in a major antiquities scandal. "But I'm under a duty not to speak about the matter...
These Dead Sea Scrolls
Turn Out to Be Fakes
in case you missed it
Mar 21, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
These Dead Sea Scrolls Turn Out to Be Fakes
Experts say all of DC museum's fragments are 'deliberate forgeries'
- It would be more accurate to call the "Dead Sea Scrolls" at a museum in Washington, DC, the "Old Sandal Fakes," researchers say. A team of art fraud experts spent six months analyzing the supposed scroll fragments at the Museum of the Bible and concluded that billionaire...
a Bible, and Herself
Oct 4, 2019 10:16 AM CDT
Judge Hands Amber Guyger a Bible, and Herself Controversy
Critics say Tammy Kemp shouldn't have been 'proselytizing' in court as a government worker
- Convicted murderer Amber Guyger got a "remarkable" hug from the brother of her victim, Botham Jean, during her sentencing hearing Wednesday, and then she got one from presiding Judge Tammy Kemp. Now Kemp is facing complaints, both for the hug but also for a possible legal violation. With one...
Causes a Buzz
Mar 9, 2019 7:30 AM CST
Trump's Bible- Signing Session Causes a Buzz
Some were offended by what happened at Alabama church; others say it's not a big deal
- President Trump made the rounds in Alabama Friday to offer support for those affected by the tornadoes that devastated the state this week, killing at least 23. Per the
, some called his visit a "godsend," but one thing he did during his trip had others scratching...
Trump Tackles a
New Topic on Twitter
Jan 28, 2019 1:07 PM CST
Trump Tackles a New Topic on Twitter
He backs Bible literacy classes, something he hasn't discussed before
- A tweet from President Trump was the subject of discussion and scrutiny on Monday, and this time, the topic wasn't one of his habitual ones. He wrote , "Numerous states introducing Bible Literacy classes, giving students the option of studying the Bible. Starting to make a turn back? Great!...
New Bible Translator: Others
'Have Done a Wretched Job'
Dec 22, 2018 3:43 PM CST
New Bible Translator: Others 'Have Done a Wretched Job'
Robert Alter takes a more literary approach
- A new Hebrew Bible translation stands out for accentuating the poetic style of the original language—and for having just one translator, the
New York Times
reports. Robert Alter, 83, began the project about 20 years ago partly out of frustration: "The modern translators, English and American, have done...
China Waging War
Sep 10, 2018 9:30 AM CDT
China Waging War on Christianity
Activists say Beijing is burning Bibles, shutting churches, forcing the faithful to renounce
- China's government is ratcheting up a crackdown on Christian congregations, destroying crosses, burning Bibles, shutting churches, and ordering followers to sign papers renouncing their faith, according to pastors and a group that monitors religion in China. The campaign corresponds with a drive to "Sinicize" religion by demanding loyalty...
This Could Prove Biblical
Prophet's Existence. Or Not
Feb 22, 2018 10:00 AM CST
This Could Prove Biblical Prophet's Existence. Or Not
Clay seal reading 'Isaiah' up for debate
- A clay seal found in an ancient garbage pit in Jerusalem might have belonged to the prophet Isaiah, who's described as predicting the virgin birth and Jesus' death in the Old Testament. Or, less exciting, it might have belonged to some random guy named Isaiah. At present, it's...
Man Who Beat
Escapes Jail Time
Oct 25, 2017 11:45 AM CDT
Man Who Beat 'Adulterous' Wife Escapes Jail Time
Activists slam 'revolting' court ruling in Portugal
- Women's rights groups reacted with outrage after a Portuguese court quoted the Bible in a ruling that justified a suspended sentence for a man who attacked his "adulterous" ex-wife with a nail-spiked bat, NPR reports. The appeals court judges in Porto called adultery a "serious attack" on...
Hold Up, Is Bacon Kosher?
May 22, 2017 12:30 PM CDT
Hold Up, Is Bacon Kosher?
Some biblical scholars argue that not eating bacon is part of broader misunderstanding
- Have Jews been depriving themselves of bacon for no reason? A group of biblical scholars makes the argument in
that the Book of Leviticus, the third in the Old Testament that lays down various laws dictating how Jewish people should live, wasn't actually meant for the laity. Rather,...
May 5, 2017 10:10 AM CDT
Bloody Scene in Hernandez Cell: Police Report
Ex-NFLer wrote 'John 3:16' on his forehead in ink, on the cell wall in blood
- Former NFL star Aaron Hernandez wrote a reference to a biblical passage in ink on his forehead and in blood on his prison cell wall before he hanged himself with a bedsheet, Massachusetts State Police say in an investigative report released Thursday. The report notes "John 3:16" was...
Report: Hernandez Died With
Bible Verse on Forehead
Apr 20, 2017 6:18 AM CDT
Report: Hernandez Died With Bible Verse on Forehead
He may have smoked synthetic marijuana before death
- Aaron Hernandez had a Bible verse scrawled on his forehead when he was found hanged in his prison cell early Wednesday, sources tell WBZ . The sources say the former NFL star had the words "John 3:16" on his forehead, along with red marks on his hands and feet....
College Student Finds
Forgotten 1599 Bible
Oct 8, 2016 11:54 AM CDT
College Student Finds Forgotten 1599 Bible
Geneva Bible sat in a box in college library
- A curious college student has rediscovered a copy of what the
calls "one of the most historically significant Bibles ever published." Junior Sam Bussan had only been working as an archival assistant at Lewis & Clark College's Watzek Library in Portland for less than a month...
Church's Drones Will Drop
Bibles on ISIS Territory
Aug 10, 2016 12:08 AM CDT
Church's Drones Will Drop Bibles on ISIS Territory
Swedish church wants to convert Syrians
- What people living in ISIS-controlled areas really need is Christianity delivered by drone, an evangelical church in Sweden has decided. The Uppsala-based Word of Life church says it plans to use military drones to drop thousands of Bibles over parts of Syria in the hope of converting Muslims, CNET reports....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
One Quirk in Couples Health Study Is a Surprise
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.