Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading
Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Dec 5, 2023 8:42 AM CST
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
New research suggests that investors profited ahead of the assault by short-selling shares
- New research that looks at trading in the days before the Oct. 7 Hamas attack in Israel, in which at least 1,200 were killed, is raising suspicions on exactly who knew what before the assault. The 66-page paper published by NYU law professor Robert Jackson Jr. and Columbia law...
Day After Truce Collapse,
Israel Bombards Southern Gaza
Dec 2, 2023 9:00 AM CST
Day After Truce Collapse, Israel Bombards Southern Gaza
Hamas-run Health Ministry says at least 200 Palestinians died since fighting resumed Friday
- Israel pounded targets in the crowded southern half of the Gaza Strip on Saturday and ordered more neighborhoods designated for attack to evacuate, driving up the death toll even as the United States and others urged it to do more to protect Gaza civilians a day after a truce collapsed....
Report: Israel Had Details of
Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Dec 1, 2023 6:33 AM CST
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Per 'New York Times,' Israeli officials didn't take 'Jericho Wall' document on massacre seriously
- More than a year before the Oct. 7 Hamas attack in Israel that left around 1,200 people dead and kick-started the latest war between the nation and the militant group, Israel had a document detailing pretty much to the letter how Hamas would carry out the massacre. But as...
Activist Who Went
Viral as Teen
Nov 30, 2023 7:30 AM CST
Activist Who Went Viral as Teen Among Newly Freed Palestinians
Ahed Tamimi, 22, who slapped Israeli soldiers 6 years ago, among latest group released by Israel
- Hamas released another 16 hostages on Wednesday amid the temporary pause in fighting in Gaza, and in exchange, Israel set free 30 prisoners of its own—among them, a notable Palestinian activist. The AP reports that a bus transporting some of the latter arrived in Ramallah, in the West Bank,...
Israel-Hamas Truce Extended
With Just Minutes to Spare
Nov 30, 2023 12:00 AM CST
Israel-Hamas Truce Extended With Just Minutes to Spare
Deal had been set to expire as negotiations got difficult
- Israel and Hamas on Thursday agreed to extend a temporary truce by another day minutes before it was set to expire, said Qatar, which has been mediating between the two sides. Negotiations on extending it came down to the wire, with last-minute disagreements over the hostages to be freed by...
As More Hostages
Are Freed, Israel
Nov 29, 2023 6:52 AM CST
As More Hostages Are Freed, Israel Sees 'Competing Demands'
Whether nation will further extend temporary pause in Gaza fighting or resume the war is a question
- Israel said a dozen more hostages—10 Israelis and two Thai nationals—were released Tuesday by Hamas, on the fifth day of a pause in fighting that's set to expire early Thursday. A tweet from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office noted that the families of this newest set...
Israel, Hamas Agree
to Extend Ceasefire
Nov 27, 2023 11:04 AM CST
Israel, Hamas Agree to Extend Ceasefire
Truce will hold 2 more days after Monday
- Israel and Hamas agreed to extend their ceasefire for two more days past Monday, the Qatari government said, bringing the prospect of a longer halt to their deadliest and most destructive war and further exchanges of militant-held hostages for Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. The announcement, made by Qatari Foreign Ministry...
After Endorsing Antisemitic
Post, Musk Visits Israel
Nov 27, 2023 8:46 AM CST
After Endorsing Antisemitic Post, Musk Visits Israel
With PM Netanyahu at his side, X CEO tours kibbutz attacked by Hamas on Oct. 7
- Elon Musk toured an Israeli kibbutz on Monday accompanied by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, including the home of a 4-year-old hostage who was abducted when Hamas militants stormed the community on Oct. 7. CNN Business reports that during Musk's visit to Kfar Azza, he and Netanyahu stopped by the...
Hamas Releases First Group
of Hostages Under Truce
Nov 24, 2023 10:40 AM CST
Hamas Releases First Group of Hostages Under Truce
13 Israelis, 12 Thai nationals are set free as ceasefire begins on Friday
- An initial set of hostages abducted from Israel on Oct. 7 has been set free, just as a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas began on Friday, according to media reports and various officials. Thirteen Israelis are said to be in that newly released group, while Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin...
Ceasefire Start Time
Nov 23, 2023 10:46 AM CST
Hamas Confirms Ceasefire Start Time
It will begin at 7am local time Friday before 13 hostages are exchanged for 39 prisoners
- We have a date and time: The ceasefire between Israel and Hamas will begin at 7am local time Friday (12am EST), allowing humanitarian relief to enter Gaza as hostages taken by Hamas are exchanged for Palestinian prisoners held in Israel, according to a rep from Qatar's Foreign Ministry, which...
Hostage Deal Will See
Release of 3 Americans
Nov 22, 2023 7:45 AM CST
Hostage Deal Will See Release of 3 Americans
Israel, Hamas agree to 4-day pause in fighting, which could be extended
- Both Israel and Hamas have agreed to a humanitarian ceasefire that will see the release of at least 50 hostages taken by Hamas in the Oct. 7 attack that triggered the deadliest conflict in history between the two enemies. It's believed hostages will be released in groups of 10...
Nov 22, 2023 1:00 AM CST
Israel Releases Palestinian Poet of
Mosab Abu Toha was seized at military checkpoint while trying to evacuate: family
- The Israel Defense Forces says Palestinian poet Mosab Abu Toha was released Tuesday, the day after IDF arrested him as he attempted to evacuate to southern Gaza, the
Times of Israel
reports. His wife and children had been allowed to continue on. The IDF says Abu Toha was among a...
Israel: Hostage Deal
Is in the Works
Nov 21, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Israel: Hostage Deal Is in the Works
Cabinet meeting on Tuesday as mediators work on deal that would include temporary ceasefire
- Israel's Cabinet was to convene Tuesday to consider a deal for the release of some of the hostages held by Hamas, as troops battled militants in an urban refugee camp in north Gaza and around hospitals overcrowded with patients and sheltering families. Details of any deal, worked out through...
IDF: Here's Proof
of Hamas Tunnels
Nov 20, 2023 7:25 AM CST
IDF: Here's Proof of Hamas Tunnels Under Hospital
Israel says footage of shaft, tunnel is evidence of complex Hamas tunnel network under Gaza facility
- The world wanted evidence, and Israel now says it has it. On Sunday, the IDF said in a statement that it had discovered a tunnel underneath Gaza's Shifa Hospital, proof that the militant group was using the hospital as a command center. The IDF had long insisted that was...
Gaza Gets Back Some Power,
Internet After Fuel Deliveries
Nov 18, 2023 6:30 AM CST
Gaza Gets Back Some Power, Internet After Fuel Deliveries
Israel says it will permit 2 tanker trucks of fuel daily into Gaza, though UN says more is needed
- Limited phone and internet services began working again Friday across Gaza after fuel was delivered to restart generators that power the networks, according to the Palestinian telecommunications company Paltel. Israel announced that it will allow two tanker trucks of fuel (about 15,850 gallons) into Gaza each day for the...
Israel: Body of 2nd Hostage
Found Near Gaza Hospital
Nov 17, 2023 7:22 AM CST
Israel: Body of 2nd Hostage Found Near Gaza Hospital
Israeli authorities say body of 19-year-old Noa Marciano was discovered
- Israel Defense Forces troops in Gaza say they've found the body of yet another hostage taken during the deadly Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel, reports the BBC . The Daily Beast identifies this hostage as 19-year-old Noa Marciano, whose body "was found and extracted by IDF troops adjacent...
House Dems Whisked Out of
DNC HQ Amid Ceasefire Protest
Nov 16, 2023 7:24 AM CST
House Dems Whisked Out of DNC HQ Amid Ceasefire Protest
USCP says 6 officers were injured by 'violent' protesters; protesters say police attacked them
- A protest Wednesday outside DC's Democratic National Committee headquarters in favor of a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war led to an evacuation of House Democrats sheltered there, as well as violent clashes between demonstrators and law enforcement. US Capitol Police and DC's Metropolitan Police were on the scene...
Nov 15, 2023 8:35 AM CST
National Book Awards Disrupted by Defecting Sponsors
At least 2 won't attend Wednesday's NYC ceremony, amid rumors authors will call for Gaza ceasefire
- The National Book Awards already made headlines earlier this year, when it dropped Drew Barrymore from hosting its annual ceremony due to her resuming her talk show amid the Hollywood strikes. Now, with the event set to take place Wednesday in New York, there's more disruption, this time tied...
Let's Not Be Netanyahu's
Nov 14, 2023 7:25 AM CST
Let's Not Be Netanyahu's 'Useful Idiot'
Thomas Friedman writes that Biden should float a peace plan, with Trump's 2020 plan as the framework
- In the view of Thomas Friedman in the
New York Times
, Benjamin Netanyahu does not have much of a plan for Gaza. Based on what the Israeli leader has been saying, his long-term vision amounts to this: "Seven million Jews trying to govern five million Palestinians in perpetuity—and...
Satellite Images of Gaza
Are Being 'Obscured'
Nov 9, 2023 7:42 AM CST
Satellite Images of Gaza Are Being 'Obscured'
US companies, restricted to selling limited resolution images of Israel, appear to be going further
- Space data companies have begun restricting satellite images of the Gaza Strip as Israel launches a ground assault. In the last month, companies including Planet Labs and Maxar Technologies have shared images allowing news outlets to track the destruction from Israeli airstrikes across Gaza. But "after a
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.