Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
His 'Fight of the Century'
Against Ali Made Him Famous
Oct 1, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
His 'Fight of the Century' Against Ali Made Him Famous
Popular Japanese wrestler and lawmaker Antonio Inoki is dead at 79
- Popular Japanese professional wrestler and lawmaker Antonio Inoki, who faced world boxing champion Muhammad Ali in a mixed martial arts match in 1976, has died at 79. Inoki brought Japanese pro wrestling to fame and pioneered mixed martial arts matches between top wrestlers and champions from other combat sports like...
'You Were a Person
Who Should Have
Lived Much Longer'
Sep 27, 2022 12:25 PM CDT
'You Were a Person Who Should Have Lived Much Longer'
Japan's Shinzo Abe was given a state funeral Tuesday
- Japan's assassinated hawkish former leader, Shinzo Abe, was given a state funeral Tuesday, making him just the second politician to receive the honor in post-war Japan, reports the BBC . The event has deeply split public opinion. In addition to the thousands who took to the streets in protest, Japan'...
Abe's $12M State Funeral May
Have Spurred Self-Immolation
Sep 21, 2022 11:24 AM CDT
Abe's $12M State Funeral May Have Spurred Self-Immolation
Man set himself on fire near Japanese prime minister's office in Tokyo
- A man set himself on fire outside the Japanese prime minister's office in apparent protest of a state funeral for the assassinated ex-leader Shinzo Abe. It happened on Wednesday, on what would've been Abe's 68th birthday. The elderly man, initially found unconscious with burns to his entire...
High-Tech Japan Struggles
to Ditch Floppy Disks
Sep 2, 2022 10:22 AM CDT
High-Tech Japan Struggles to Ditch Floppy Disks
Nation's digital minister pledges to get rid of them in government use
- Japan may be known for its tech savvy, but government offices still use the humble floppy disk for data storage. As a result, the nation's digital minister has announced that he is declaring "war" on the technology, which first surfaced in the 1960s, reports the
Sydney Morning Herald
Japan Wants Young People
to Drink More Booze
Aug 18, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Japan Wants Young People to Drink More Booze
Tax agency is worried about falling revenue
- Japan's national tax agency is trying to tackle a decline in revenue by persuading young people to change their sober ways. Younger people in Japan aren't drinking as much as previous generations did, and so the tax agency has launched a competition to find ways to boost alcohol...
Told to Be
Wary of Dolphins
Aug 16, 2022 5:34 PM CDT
Swimmers in Japan Told to Be Wary of Dolphins
Officials have counted 17 dolphin attacks on three beaches this summer
- Some claim it’s the work of a lone “rampaging” dolphin, but that has yet to be proven. What’s known is that there has been a string of dolphin attacks this summer at three beaches in Japan’s Fukui prefecture, which faces the Sea of Japan. Per the...
Attacks Continue After
Japanese Monkey Killed
Jul 27, 2022 8:39 AM CDT
Attacks Continue After Japanese Monkey Killed
At least 56 people have now been injured by macaques in Yamaguchi
- There's one less monkey terrorizing Yamaguchi, Japan , but the problem isn't solved. One of a group of Japanese macaques thought to be responsible for attacks on 56 people in recent weeks was euthanized Tuesday after it was found on the grounds of a high school. The male simian,...
Japanese City Averaging
2.4 Monkey Attacks Per Day
Jul 26, 2022 10:59 AM CDT
Japanese City Averaging 2.4 Monkey Attacks Per Day
At least 45 people have been bitten or scratched in Yamaguchi
A Japanese city thought it had a problem with one wild monkey. Now, however, it appears the problem is wild monkeys, plural. At least 45 people around the Japanese city of Yamaguchi have been attacked in 19 days, according to a government official. The rare attacks have doubled in...
Killer Who Triggered Change
in Japan Knife Law Is Hanged
Jul 26, 2022 9:18 AM CDT
Killer Who Triggered Change in Japan Knife Law Is Hanged
Tomohiro Kato carried out a mass killing in 2008
- Twenty minutes before committing a 2008 mass murder that shocked Japan, Tomohiro Kato posted a warning online that read, "It's time." Japan apparently decided the same thing for him. The 39-year-old has been hanged in the Tokyo Detention Centre, some eight years after he received a death...
Gender Parity Index
Puts Japan Near Bottom
Jul 13, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Gender Parity Index Puts Japan Near Bottom
Report says world has a long way to go for equality—about 132 years
- The World Economic Forum's new Gender Gap Report found that Japan compares well with other nations in women's access to education and health. In Japan's political and economic fields, however, women's participation is still low, driving the nation's ranking to 116th among the 146 countries...
May Be Source of
Jul 11, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Unification Church May Be Source of Suspect's Grudge
Mother of man held in Abe's killing is a member
- The Unification Church confirmed Monday that the mother of the man accused of killing Shinzo Abe is a member, raising the possibility that it's the organization against which the suspect held a grudge. Japanese police have said the suspect told them he was motivated by a grudge against a...
After Assassination, Voters
Give Abe's Party a Boost
Jul 10, 2022 9:54 AM CDT
After Assassination, Voters Give Abe's Party a Boost
Former prime minister's party on track for strong showing in parliamentary elections
- Japan voted Sunday in the shadow of the assassination of former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that brought heightened security as party leaders avoided mingling with crowds in last-minute campaign stops. Exit polls for the election for the parliament's upper house showed Abe's governing party certain to win a...
Expert: Weapon That Killed Abe
Was 'No Standard Shotgun'
Jul 8, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Expert: Weapon That Killed Abe Was 'No Standard Shotgun'
Police say they found homemade guns in raid of suspect's house
- Japanese police said they found multiple homemade weapons in a raid Friday on the residence of the man held in the assassination of Shinzo Abe, several of which are similar to the one they say was used to kill the former prime minister. The murder weapon is more than a...
'Hard to Think
of a More
Jul 8, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
'Hard to Think of a More Unexpected Place'
Japanese laws mean gun violence is almost non-existent
- There will be no erasing the scars carved into Japan with Friday's assassination of former prime minister Shinzo Abe, say those familiar with Japanese society. The country has been "brought to a standstill by the news," which is especially shocking given that gun crime is almost non-existent...
Death More Jarring:
That a Gun Was Used
Jul 8, 2022 9:46 AM CDT
Making Abe's Death More Jarring: That a Gun Was Used
Gun violence is practically zero in Japan
- One theme that keeps emerging in coverage of Shinzo Abe's fatal shooting in Japan is that gun deaths are rare in Japan. But just
rare they are—and how strict the nation's gun laws are—might still come as a surprise:
Japan had a total of
Shinzo Abe Leaves
a Mixed Legacy
Jul 8, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
Shinzo Abe Leaves a Mixed Legacy
Assassinated ex-PM was 'complex, polarizing' figure in Japan
- Shinzo Abe was a political blueblood groomed for power. Japan's longest serving prime minister, he was also perhaps the most polarizing, complex politician in recent Japanese history, the AP reports. Abe, who was assassinated Friday , angered both liberals at home and World War II victims in Asia with his...
The World Reacts to
Shinzo Abe's Assassination
Jul 8, 2022 6:36 AM CDT
The World Reacts to Shinzo Abe's Assassination
A 'dark day for Japanese democracy'
- World leaders are expressing sadness, shock, and outrage at the assassination of a man many of them knew personally—Shinzo Abe, Japan's longest-serving prime minister. Abe, who resigned in 2020, was fatally shot while delivering a speech at a campaign event in western Japan Friday. Former Australian prime minister...
Ex-Japan PM Shinzo Abe
Dies After 'Barbaric' Shooting
Jul 8, 2022 4:33 AM CDT
Ex-Japan PM Shinzo Abe Dies After 'Barbaric' Shooting
Suspected assassin identified as Tetsuya Yamagami
- Doctors were unable to save Shinzo Abe, Japan's former prime minister, after he was shot during a campaign event Friday. The 67-year-old died from his injuries after the attack in Nara, western Japan, public broadcaster NHK has confirmed. Abe, who resigned in 2020, was Japan's longest-serving prime minister....
Japanese Ex-PM Shinzo Abe
Shot in Chest
Jul 7, 2022 11:35 PM CDT
Japanese Ex-PM Shinzo Abe Shot in Chest
Details are still developing
This story has been updated with new details on Abe's condition.
The former prime minister of Japan was reportedly shot in the chest during a political speech Friday afternoon. Media outlets were initially using words like "apparent shooting" to describe the still-unclear sequence of events, but photos from...
Cost $295 Each
Jul 1, 2022 9:58 AM CDT
These Cherries Cost $295 Each
Supercherries were sold at Japanese auction
- The pick of the cherry crop in a northern Japan town sold for a price that was stunning even by the standards of high-end Japanese fruit auctions. A box of 15 Aomori Heartbeat cherries sold for 600,000 yen, the equivalent of $4,435, or $295 per cherry, reports the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
A Daughter Changes Her Mind About Zodiac Killer's Identity
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.