Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Comments About Women
Cost Chess Analyst His Job
Sep 28, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Comments About Women Cost Chess Analyst His Job
Ilya Smirin said in live broadcast of tournament that a competitor was 'playing like a man'
- Ilya Smirin didn't last a full day as a chess commentator. The Israeli grandmaster was making his broadcasting debut, live, on Tuesday at the Women's Grand Prix in Astana, Kazakhstan, when he expressed doubts about women's ability to compete. In discussing one competitor's play, the English-language...
Sep 27, 2022 6:37 AM CDT
Chess Champ Finally Unloads Cheating Allegations
Magnus Carlsen says Hans Niemann isn't owning up to extent of his trickery
- After much speculation, world chess champion Magnus Carlsen officially accused fellow grandmaster Hans Moke Neimann of cheating on Monday. The Norwegian said the 19-year-old American, who's admitted to cheating twice in online matches at the ages of 12 and 16, had "cheated more—and more recently—than he...
I'll Explain More
on Chess Cheating
Sep 26, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Magnus Carlsen: I'll Explain More on Chess Cheating
Chess champ says a statement is coming
- The reigning chess world champion has promised to say more regarding the game's ongoing scandal. Magnus Carlsen, who resigned a game last week after playing just one move against Hans Niemann (he also resigned from an entire tournament earlier this month after Niemann beat him in an upset), seems...
Carlsen Drops Hints
About Chess Rival's Play
Sep 23, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Carlsen Drops Hints About Chess Rival's Play
World's top player slips in name of opponent's mentor, for some reason, amid cheating allegations
- Magnus Carlsen took questions about the suspicions consuming chess that Hans Moke Niemann cheated, but the answers from the world's top-ranked player only raised more questions. On Monday, Carlsen resigned in protest after making one move against Niemann in an online game. The flap began when Niemann beat Carlsen...
Sep 20, 2022 6:37 AM CDT
Chess World's Weird Drama Just Escalated
Grandmaster Magnus Carlsen resigns game after one move against foe accused of cheating
- "Drama" may not be the first word that comes to mind in regard to the world of chess, but it seems to apply these days. On Monday, Norwegian grandmaster Magnus Carlsen resigned an online game
after one move
against 19-year-old foe Hans Moke Niemann, reports the
. The abrupt...
Theories Abound as to How
Nieman Might Have Cheated
Sep 18, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
Theories Abound as to How Nieman Might Have Cheated
Deadspin looks at one interesting one
- Last week, American chess grandmaster Hans Niemann achieved the unlikely (albeit not unprecedented) feat of beating world champ Magnus Carlsen, who happens to be the highest-rated player in history . But the 19-year-old’s win was quickly overshadowed by accusations that he cheated (and not for the first time). Niemann passed...
Sep 9, 2022 2:26 PM CDT
Cheating Uproar Follows Carlsen's Stunning Tourney Withdrawal
Reigning champion provides few clues, but 19-year-old American denies wrongdoing
- Magnus Carlsen's loss to a newcomer was only the first surprise in the Sinquefield Cup competition in St. Louis. The world's top player withdrew from the tournament hours later without saying why, the
Wall Street Journal
reports, kicking off widespread suspicion that his opponent, Hans Moke Niemann, had...
It's a Draw in Suit
Over 'Sexist' Remark
Sep 7, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
It's a Draw in Suit Over 'Sexist' Remark in
Netflix, Nona Gaprindashvili agree to settle defamation claim
- Netflix had the chance to publicly apologize to Nona Gaprindashvili. It didn't, and as a result faced a $5 million defamation lawsuit from the Georgian chess master, which it has now agreed to settle. Financial details weren't disclosed, per Deadline , though a lawyer for 81-year-old Gaprindashvili says Gaprindashvili'...
Chess Robot Breaks Finger
of 7-Year-Old Opponent
Jul 25, 2022 7:23 AM CDT
Chess Robot Breaks Finger of 7-Year-Old Opponent
'This is, of course, bad,' says head of Moscow Chess Federation
- It might be a first in the annals of chess: After one player makes a move his opponent doesn't like, the opponent breaks his finger. As the
reports, it actually happened last week at the Moscow Open, under unusual circumstances: One player was a robot, the other a...
Jul 20, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
World Chess Champ Makes a Stunning Announcement
Magnus Carlsen will give up title: 'I don't have any inclination to play'
- The first new world chess champion in a decade will be crowned next year, as reigning champ Magnus Carlsen has no interest in defending his title for a sixth time. "Four championships to five—it didn't mean anything to me." Now, "I don't have any...
Banned Chess Grandmaster:
'I Regret Nothing'
Mar 22, 2022 5:46 PM CDT
Banned Chess Grandmaster: 'I Regret Nothing'
Sergey Karjakin was suspended for supporting invasion of Ukraine
- A chess grandmaster who publicly supported Russia's invasion of Ukraine has been taken off the board for at least six months. The International Chess Federation says Sergey Karjakin has been banned from competition for bringing the game into disrepute, AFP reports. The ruling noted that the 32-year-old grandmaster posted...
12 Hours a Day as a Maid,
Then Victories in Chess
Feb 26, 2022 4:25 PM CST
12 Hours a Day as a Maid, Then Victories in Chess
'Wall Street Journal' profiles Cibele Florencio of Brazil
- One of the rising young stars in chess has a story that sounds right out of Hollywood, or at least a series streaming on Netflix. The
Wall Street Journal
explores the ascent of Cibele Florencio, a single mom who works as a maid in a poor part of Brazil. Last...
World Chess Champ
Feb 22, 2022 9:04 AM CST
16-Year-Old Defeats World Chess Champ
Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa's 'biggest dream' just came true
- At age 10, Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa became the youngest international chess master in history. At age 12, he became the second-youngest grandmaster in history. He also developed a new goal. It's "my biggest dream" to beat world chess champ Magnus Carlsen just once, he told a newspaper at the...
Dec 10, 2021 4:35 PM CST
Collapse Helps Carlsen Remain World Champion
Russian challenger's mistakes make for lopsided title chess match
- Although analysts had assured that Ian Nepomniachtchi wasn't afraid of going head-to-head with Magnus Carlsen in the chess world championship, it was not apparent in his performance. The Russian challenger wrapped up a historic collapse Friday in their match in Dubai, helping Carlsen to again win the title. Carlsen...
Nov 27, 2021 2:15 PM CST
Carlsen Defends Title in New Era
With chess booming, champion says he's more worried about another rising star
- Magnus Carlsen is accustomed to defending his world chess title—he's been the champion since 2013—but the atmosphere is a little different this time. Chess is at the top of its game, after booming during the pandemic shutdown, and more people are paying attention to it, Axios reports....
Chest Move: Sponsorship
Draws Backlash From Women
Oct 4, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Chest Move: Sponsorship Draws Backlash From Women
Many female players say game's governing body should focus on brains, not bras
- Women in the chess world want support—but not like that. International Chess Federation recently announced a sponsorship agreement with Establishment Labs, a company that makes Motiva breast implants, the
New York Times
reports. The arrangement is meant to financially support chess events for women. Women players who spoke to...
Netflix Sued for $5M Over
One Line in
in case you missed it
Sep 19, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
Netflix Sued for $5M Over One Line in
Real-life chess champion is not happy about what show said about her
- In the last episode of
The Queen's Gambit
, a fictional chess commentator makes a comment about the fictional main character of the Netflix show—a comment that has now gotten Netflix sued for $5 million. Speaking about Beth Harmon as she plays in the Moscow Invitational, the commentator claims,...
In Chess, 'She Has Been the
Only One Who Stood a Chance'
Jul 31, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
In Chess, 'She Has Been the Only One Who Stood a Chance'
'New Yorker' profiles Hou Yifan and explores why so few women rise to the top of the game
- The popular Netflix series
The Queen's Gambit
tells the story of a female chess phenom named Beth Harmon. Harmon, though, is fictional, and in the
, Louisa Thomas takes a look at why real-life Harmons are so rare. (The world has 1,732 grandmasters, and only 38 of...
After 19 Years, Chess Has a
New Youngest Grandmaster
Jul 1, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
After 19 Years, Chess Has a New Youngest Grandmaster
Abhimanyu Mishra of New Jersey takes the title at 12 years, 4 months, 25 days old
- Two months and change makes all the difference. That's the spread between Russia's Sergey Karjakin—who once held the title of youngest grandmaster in the world of chess at the age of 12 years, seven months—and his successor, Abhimanyu Mishra of New Jersey, who, at 12 years,...
Netflix Series Has Made
Chess a Hit Again
Nov 24, 2020 2:56 PM CST
Netflix Series Has Made Chess a Hit Again
Viewers of ' Queen's Gambit' have been inspired to play, sending sales of sets soaring
- Chess already seemed like a good fit for a pandemic—challenging, competitive, and time-consuming. Sales were up early in the lockdown, as people stuck at home played games of all kinds more. But then, last month, a Netflix miniseries kicked off. "Ever since the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tagovailoa Speaks on His Latest Hard Hit
Trump Reacts to NYT Reporter's New Book: She's a 'Creep'
Democrat Wants New Leaders After Stock Ban Stalls
Woman's Mysterious Death Was 'Deliberate and Personal'
Father Attacks Meta After Girl's Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.