Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Colbert Is Recovering
From a Burst Appendix
Nov 27, 2023 5:31 PM CST
Colbert Is Recovering From a Burst Appendix
'Late Show' host has been sidelined for a week
- First this fall, another round with COVID-19 shuttered Stephen Colbert's
The Late Show
. Now the show is again sidelined as the host recovers from a burst appendix. The comedian in a post on Threads said Monday that he's recovering after surgery, wiping out planned shows for Tuesday, Wednesday,...
Guess Who Just Showed
Up on the
Nov 21, 2023 6:39 AM CST
Guess Who Just Showed Up on the
David Letterman visits Stephen Colbert at Ed Sullivan Theater, his first time since leaving in 2015
- For the first time in more than eight years, David Letterman took to the stage at New York City's Ed Sullivan Theater, but this time, he was on the other side of the desk. The former
host popped in for a visit on Monday with current
Buttigieg Weighs In
on Mike Johnson's
Nov 3, 2023 1:56 PM CDT
Buttigieg Weighs In on Mike Johnson's LGBTQ+ Views
Transportation secretary zings new House speaker on Colbert show: 'Maybe we'll just have him over'
- Mike Johnson has been withstanding quite a bit of scrutiny since he ascended last month from being a virtually unknown Republican congressman to his current role as speaker of the House. Especially in the spotlight: the Louisiana lawmaker's anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric over the years, which has now spurred Pete...
Nov 2, 2023 8:39 AM CDT
Your Newest Late-Night Host Stands Apart
Taylor Tomlinson will become only female late-night host on network TV
- A new late-night show is coming to CBS with a 29-year-old stand-up comic in the host chair. Taylor Tomlinson of Netflix comedy specials
Look At You
Quarter Life Crisis
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
reports. Colbert, an executive producer of the show,...
Kimmel, Colbert, Fallon, Oliver,
Meyers Just Teamed Up
Aug 31, 2023 2:09 PM CDT
Kimmel, Colbert, Fallon, Oliver, Meyers Just Teamed Up
Profits from podcast 'Strike Force Five' will go to their staffs, who are idled by Hollywood strike
- Late-night hosts Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon, John Oliver, and Seth Meyers have teamed up in a new podcast called "Strike Force Five" —named after their personal text chain. Because their respective shows have been dark since the Writers Guild of America went on strike in May,...
In One Week, Late Night
Could Take a Hard Hit
Apr 24, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
In One Week, Late Night Could Take a Hard Hit
Looming Hollywood writers strike will affect talk shows, 'SNL' first if deal isn't reached by May 1
- May 1 is the deadline for Hollywood writers, represented by the Writers Guild of America, to reach a contract agreement with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, and if no such deal is struck, the late-night TV arena will be the first to say goodbye to new episodes,...
Late Night on
Mar 31, 2023 7:56 AM CDT
Late Night on Trump Indictment: 'Arrested Developer'
'For the first time in 7 years, Melania is smiling at Mar-a-Lago'
- Stephen Colbert seems to have ignored Rep. Eric Swalwell's call for Americans to not " celebrate nor destroy " over former President Trump's indictment by a New York grand jury. The news was clearly "worth celebrating" for the
host, who opened his show on Thursday...
Colbert, Fallon Mock Biden's
Happy Birthday Gaffe
Jan 17, 2023 1:48 PM CST
Colbert, Fallon Mock Biden's Happy Birthday Gaffe
'First rule: Don’t start singing Happy Birthday unless you know the person’s name'
- President Biden appeared to forget the name of Martin Luther King Jr.'s daughter-in-law when he tried to sing Happy Birthday to her during an event Monday—and that's not the kind of gaffe that goes unnoticed by late-night hosts. In a speech to the National Action Network'...
Colbert Jokes About
Musk's $100B Loss
Nov 25, 2022 7:03 AM CST
Colbert Jokes About Musk's $100B Loss
'All of us are having to cut back on how many cars we shoot into space'
- Elon Musk's net worth has taken a massive hit this year—amid issues at Tesla and his acquisition of Twitter, he's down more than $100 billion. Stephen Colbert offered commiserations on
The Late Show
reports. "Listen, Elon. I know belt tightening is no...
Late-Night Hosts Couldn't
Resist Poking at Ye
Oct 28, 2022 9:48 AM CDT
Late-Night Hosts Couldn't Resist Poking at Ye
Late-night hosts pick fun at 'desperate' Kanye West, Elon Musk's sink
- Late-night hosts had a field day with Kanye West and Elon Musk Thursday night, with Stephen Colbert announcing West wasn’t just restricted from social media platforms but was now banned from
The Late Show
. "I had to do it now because I was afraid that he would just...
Won't Be Tried
Over Capitol Trip
Jul 18, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
Colbert Staffers Won't Be Tried Over Capitol Trip
Prosecutors say conviction seemed unlikely
: The nine
staff members arrested at the US Capitol complex will not face trial on unlawful entry charges, federal prosecutors have decided. A spokesman said conviction seemed unlikely because the people arrested had been invited and weren't asked to leave by their escorts, the AP reports....
by Capitol Cops
Jun 18, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Colbert Producers, Puppet Arrested by Capitol Cops
Robert Smigel, voice of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog puppet, said to be among the 7 detained
- It's been some time since Triumph the Insult Comic Dog has made headlines, but he's now back in the spotlight. The AP reports that seven staffers from Stephen Colbert's
were arrested on Capitol Hill Thursday night, and among those detained, per a list seen by...
Proud Boy Calls Out Colbert
in Court, Colbert Responds
Jun 16, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Proud Boy Calls Out Colbert in Court, Colbert Responds
Defense argued Jan. 6 trial should be moved because of coverage
- Stephen Colbert noticed that lawyers for a leader of the Proud Boys mentioned him in their attempt to have Joseph Biggs' trial moved from Washington, DC. A defense filing last week asked for a new location because of the "unquestionably spectacular 24/7" coverage of the organization in the media,...
on Gun Rules:
'This Is Now
May 26, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Kimmel on Gun Rules: 'This Is Now Our Fault'
Late-night hosts tackle the mass shooting in Texas
- Late-night hosts dug into the Texas mass shooting during their Wednesday monologues, often with emotional pleas:
He said he knew when he started his show he'd have days in which he'd have to talk about school shootings before segueing into lighter fare. He added that he
New Zealand PM Ardern
Responds to Uvalde Shooting
May 25, 2022 1:06 PM CDT
New Zealand PM Ardern Responds to Uvalde Shooting
She tells Colbert about her country's ban on military-style guns
- Reflecting on Tuesday’s school shooting, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says she does not view such events as a politician. “I see them just as a mother," she told Stephen Colbert, per the
I’m so sorry for what has happened here." The...
Late-Night Hosts Weigh in
on 'QAnon Shaman' Sentence
Nov 18, 2021 8:56 AM CST
Late-Night Hosts Weigh in on 'QAnon Shaman' Sentence
He 'could be out in time to storm the Capitol in 2024,' jokes Stephen Colbert
- With "QAnon shaman" Jacob Chansley now serving a 41-month federal sentence and probably out of the news cycle for a while, late-night hosts got a last round of jokes in on Wednesday night. Chansley, who stormed the Capitol shirtless wearing a horned, furry headdress, was described by prosecutors as...
Colbert Uses Willy Wonka
to Explain Congress
Sep 30, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Colbert Uses Willy Wonka to Explain Congress
He sings about 'reconciliation' in a top hat
- Congress is nearing the end of a monumental week , one in which lawmakers are trying to avert a shutdown as they consider two huge pieces of legislation that could decide the fate of President Biden's legislative agenda. Stephen Colbert attempted to explain all this Wednesday night, in particular the...
Branson Invites Colbert to
Host Launch Livestream
Jul 9, 2021 8:02 AM CDT
Branson Invites Colbert to Host Launch Livestream
Billionaire will blast off Sunday morning
- Richard Branson is going to space on Sunday— nine days before rival billionaire Jeff Bezos—and he's now lined up a celebrity host for the livestream. Branson invited Stephen Colbert to host the Sunday morning event after the late-night host joked on Twitter about not being invited on the...
Jun 8, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
6 Late-Night Jokes About Trump's Pants
No, he didn't wear them backward, but that didn't stop the hosts
- There's a reason #Trumppants has been trending the last few days, even if it is a pretty strange one. After images surfaced online (see the aforementioned hashtag), the internet seemed convinced that Donald Trump wore his pants backward in North Carolina on Saturday, notes NPR . He did not. If...
Colbert's Show to Take
a Big Step Next Month
May 24, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Colbert's Show to Take a Big Step Next Month
Late-night host to return to live in-studio tapings with vaccinated audience starting June 14
- CBS said Monday that Stephen Colbert's late-night show will return to doing live episodes on June 14, with a vaccinated audience in New York's Ed Sullivan Theater.
The Late Show
, late night's top-rated entertainment program, produced 205 episodes without a live audience for more than a year...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.